Is the "cinematic" approach Sony is taking good for the industry?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I've been noticing for quite some time now that Sony's eager to make blockbuster-like games that not only resemble movies in appearance but also gameplay.

For example Heavy Rain is basically an interactive movie.

That may not be bad in itself but it does raise questions if that's really the direction games should be taking.

And Beyond Two Souls is another Sony game in that vein.

Even games like MGS 4, Uncharted and God of War had a big emphasis on cinematic presentation with a lot of QTEs, cut-scenes and the like.

Is this really the direction we want games to go?

Discuss. :P

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Nope!I like non-cinematic games mostly.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Some people prefer style over substance *shrug*
RTCWGR1SCRB6H2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RTCWGR1SCRB6H2
Member since 2012 • 271 Posts
jelly
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Let me correct your title... "Is the "cinematic" approach, EVERY DARN MEGA-PUBLISHER is taking good for the industry? :)
todd2r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 todd2r
Member since 2009 • 2615 Posts
I dont mind but my only complaint is those types of games have zero replay value. Once you've beaten them, there's no incentive to even play it again or even own it. People bash crap like COD but COD offers hundreds upon hundreds of hours of gameplay.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Yes , it is good for the industry.

But they make and support all types of games. I noticed you convientently left out games likeLittleBigPlanet 2 , Demons Souls , Motorstorm Pacific Rift , Super StarDust , MAG , inFAMOUS 2 , Warhawk ,ModNation Racers , Patapon , Twisted Metal , Sound Shapes ,StarHawk , Sly Cooper , All-Stars , LBP Karting , and the list goes ON and ON and ON and ON. Games like God of War and Uncharted just happen to be the total packages beyond just great gameplay. Those particular studios have the money , talent , and resources to do more than just the status quo and they deliver. I'm sorry that the 360 and Wii don't have as many megatons like that , but that's just the way it is. This is what helps seperates Sony from the pack.

MGS4 is a megaton game and arguably still one of the best of the generation , and it would be regardless of exclusivity to PS3. And Quantic Dream's games are something different form the norm and very welcome. I liked both Indigo Prophecy (until the end , lol) and Heavy Rain , and I'm interested in Beyond Two Souls.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46628 Posts

Let me correct your title... "Is the "cinematic" approach, EVERY DARN MEGA-PUBLISHER is taking good for the industry? :)ShadowDeathX

I was thinking the same. I've never seen this many 'cinematic' games as we saw at E3 this year

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
It's funny that you attribute this change in the industry to Sony. I just watched the new Batman movie that had a long trailer before previews for Halo 4. This trailer emphasized it's cinematic feel and the fact that they hired famous musical composers for the game. They bragged about how it's like playing a big budget movie. The truth is with the amount of money these games cost publishers it's only natural for them to mimic big budget movies when it comes to telling stories because that appeals to their target audience. Honestly I find it funny that people criticize telling stories through cinemas. There are only a few options for telling a story in game. You can read text bubbles or files, wonder around talking to random villagers or watch portions of the story through cinemas. I prefer to watch my stories then read long text files.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
It's funny that you attribute this change in the industry to Sony. I just watched the new Batman movie that had a long trailer before previews for Halo 4. This trailer emphasized it's cinematic feel and the fact that they hired famous musical composers for the game. They bragged about how it's like playing a big budget movie. The truth is with the amount of money these games cost publishers it's only natural for them to mimic big budget movies when it comes to telling stories because that appeals to their target audience. Honestly I find it funny that people criticize telling stories through cinemas. There are only a few options for telling a story in game. You can read text bubbles or files, wonder around talking to random villagers or watch portions of the story through cinemas. I prefer to watch my stories then read long text files.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

MGS4 is a megaton game and arguably still one of the best of the generation

Nike_Air

It may be but you have to admit that the long cut-scenes are quite boring (unless you are really that into Kojima's visions) ;)

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9897 Posts

Depends on what you like obv, personally I think it's awesome :D. You call Heavy Rain "basically an interactive movie". Note that the word "interactive" makes all the difference in the world. It's a very different experience from an actual movie and imo in a meaningful way. I'd love to experience more 'games' made in this in othe, less action oriented, movie genres. The term "video game" is dumb as it excludes experiences like these. I prefer interactive entertainment (or something similar).

I love movies and I love "pure games". I don't see why any experience in between should be ignored.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
You got anymore questions you want to pull out of your ass?
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

you know Quantic Dreami (developer of beyond souls)s a third party developer right? and you know they like making games that have this cinematic style to it right? Go play indigio prophecy a game on the ps2, xbox, pc. The way they make games has nothing to do with Sony but then again your ignorant on the matter. Also the only game with the cinematic approach from sony is uncharted, 1 game franchise. WOWZER. Also if you think god of war is nothing but quick time events you haven't played it, people like b*tching about quick time events but guess what its a game mechanic.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

It is fine for the industry. More ways to play, the better. Too bad the industry is a copy cat industry.

It has nothing to do with the type of game. If another type of game was the type that seemed most promising, it would be being copied as we speak.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
This really isn't specific to Sony. Pretty much every blockbuster title takes a cinematic approach nowadays.
AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Its better thent the cheap and easy approach MS and Nintendo are mostly taking.

VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
There is enough room and money for every game type. Looking at it from a business perspective, it's what is selling right now, you kinda have to go that route.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

sony? are you a fanboy? every single developer/publisher is doing it, and no, is not good.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

MGS4 is a megaton game and arguably still one of the best of the generation

nameless12345

It may be but you have to admit that the long cut-scenes are quite boring (unless you are really that into Kojima's visions) ;)

the cutscenes may be long but not boring, they are what any fan of mgs experienced in the other games, and the game is as fantastic as the other mgs games, he didn't dumb down the game just to cather to the "wide" audience every developer is after now.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
You got anymore questions you want to pull out of your ass?Jebus213
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I dont mind but my only complaint is those types of games have zero replay value. Once you've beaten them, there's no incentive to even play it again or even own it. People bash crap like COD but COD offers hundreds upon hundreds of hours of gameplay. todd2r
This is why I like PC gaming so much. Lot of games on PC that offers hundreds of hours of gameplay. I have over 7,500 hours logged on Guild Wars alone.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Of course it isn't. Making games more linear, focusing on presentation over gameplay, ain't cool.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Sony are not taking that approach.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
No. That's stupid. If we wanted to see a movie we would go to the theater.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Yes but only because it creates more variety in today's games. Sony doesn't seem to be creating powerful enough experiences though to compel other studios to try and copy them which makes Sony's titles a bit unique in a way. So even if people aren't liking experiences like Heavy Rain or Uncharted then fine and dandy for them, because you don't really see any other studios trying to make Uncharted or Heavy Rain (yes I know of Unearthed).

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Beyond Two Souls with Ellen Page looks sick!

Demo

Trailer

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Yes but only because it creates more variety in today's games. Sony doesn't seem to be creating powerful enough experiences though to compel other studios to try and copy them which makes Sony's titles a bit unique in a way. So even if people aren't liking experiences like Heavy Rain or Uncharted then fine and dandy for them, because you don't really see any other studios trying to make Uncharted or Heavy Rain (yes I know of Unearthed).

whiskeystrike

New Tomb Raider looks like a carbon copy of Uncharted.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Sony certainly is not the only one dabbling in the field of "cinematic experiences". Some FPS games literally play themselves now.

miriPlays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 miriPlays
Member since 2012 • 190 Posts

I see no problem with cinematic games. Sure I could watch a movie if I wanted good cinematography, but games are [usually] longer and they're interactive, so that in and of itself warrants their existence. As for the industry as a whole making cine-game, I'm not gonna take sides. Who knows, could be fun.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Yes it is. Don't be narrowminded. They aren't only cinematic, they make plenty of traditional games too, but the cinematic ones are taking videogame storytelling to new heights.

xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xxxLUGZxxx
Member since 2011 • 511 Posts

It's a style of game. If you don't like it, don't play it. There are TONS of genres and game types out there, so if cinematic style games aren't to your liking, then please choose another.

But this is obvious, so I'm guessing this is a subtle Sony attack post, so w/e.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't mind a few so long as there's no glut of it. Both the Uncharted games and Alan Wake suits me just fine. I like a variety of games both "hardcore" and "casual." Too much of one or the other burns me out.

Right now, I feel there's a glut of RPGs and modern warfare FPSes. So, I'm kind of staying away from both.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i didn't know cut scenes are bad in games now...

other than heavy rain, there are plenty of gameplay in sony exclusive games...but off course fanboys will never accept that....its not like most of them have ever played the game anyway to know any better

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

I honestly don't think it's good for the industry. Too much blending of mediums. Let games be games, stop trying to make them into movies. I like games with replayability and good gameplay. Not games I sit there and watch 70% of the time and only play 30% of the time. Binding of Isaac is a game I enjoy over any Sony exclusive because it's a game that's very good at being a game. It's not some confused game trying to be a movie that's laced with QTE's and fractions of actual gameplay. And cutscenes in games aren't bad, to a point. We're at the point where developers use cutscenes TOO MUCH to where they dominate over the gameplay itself. That isn't good. I like Sony exclusives, but more the Infamous and Little Big Planet variety, and less Heavy Rain.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

Why is the TC throwing this at Sony, when almost everyone is doing it?

Inotian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Inotian
Member since 2012 • 274 Posts

Only if the games they create use the cinematic feature as a boost, not a crutch.

Games that rely solely on scripted moments , and use the cinematic label as an excuse is not good. CoD, Uncharted 3 and BF3 are examples of these.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Depends on the game, the studio, and what the overall game is trying to pull off. Just because say a game like Heavy Rain shows how that approach can royally backfire doesn't mean you ignore the games that took the cinematic approach and made a fun game out of it: ala Uncharted 2.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
but the cinematic ones are taking videogame storytelling to new heights.Eddie-Vedder
That's certainly a questionable statement.
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#40 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

It certainly isn't bad for the industry. There are gamers who enjoy the cinematic approach and with these games releasing they can get what they crave. Why limit the industry by saying we shouldn't make this type of game?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
A few games does not a trend make. Use of QTEs at all turns the otherwise robust God of War and Uncharted games into heavy rain? Your going overboard.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
Sony's cinematic games are super polished. So it generally works for them. A cinematic game done poorly can be a disaster. Although I do think we are starting to see a general over-use of "cutscenes" and scripted events, I don't see that as a Sony problem, it has as much to do with scripted shooters like Call of Duty. Look at Grand Theft Auto, that franchise game is also very heavy into the cinematics (as ar all the Rockstar games). Cinema-tics in gaming are hardly a Sony exclusive, they are all over the place. A game like Uncharted isn't really doing anything that linear and cutscene driven shooters hadn't already been doing, Uncharted just did it much better with tons more polish in the animations and acting. Last of Us looks to take that to a different level entirely where at least the triggered scenes aren't COMPLETELY linear or scripted. They can change based on the environment. Heavy Rain is also a somewhat unique experience, I wouldn't want a whole bunch of games to come out and mimic Heavy Rain. But I don't mind if Quantic Dream keeps using that basic style (which they already did prior to Heavy Rain anyway). Look at something like Darkness II. It's honestly one of the worst gaming experiences of the generation to me because of all those "walk from point a to point b" type scenes where you are literally doing nothing, no enemies, no puzzle, just follow a path from point A to point B. What is the point of even giving a player control to just have them walk from point a to point b? That game is only like 5 hours long, and I bet at least an hour of that is "padding". Plus the story and voice acting to me were absolutely miserable, unlike Heavy Rain which had me hooked (I mean I realize after the fact Heavy Rain's story was completely rediculous and full of holes, but it was SOOOOO good on the first playthrough and even to mess around with difference scenarios)
ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts
Definitely. All other systems don't have very much variety. Sony isn't afraid to offer up what the others aren't. That's why they Dominate.
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts
stupid question, since we are not all alike in taste and opinions. of course a MAJORITY love such developed games.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

I love it, people love it. What's the problem?

ghostofzabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 ghostofzabis
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

Personally I think script should serve the game, not the other way around. Now there seem to be games that focus on cinematic presentation and would subvert the gameplay mechanics for the storytelling, such as several typical plot devices used by other media. ie. Villain meet protagonist and let him live cliche seem to be used often. There are forced lost battles in the past video games as well, however when you must "win" a fight to keep the story progressing in order to have you "lose" in the next cutscene just feels contrived.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

As one who liked the old adventure games on the PC, I tend to like games such as the Uncharted series and Alan Wake. I haven't tried Heavy Rain yet. But, I'll be buying it later. To me these games seem like a logical progression of the older games. That's why I consider the games above as adventure games. There's a heavy dose of adventuring alongside shooting sequences. These games are fine the way they are.

Where the problem lies are FPS and other shooters that try to feel cinematic when they really shouldn't. They should concentrate on the action without interruption.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Some people prefer watching instead of playing.:lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

If it's done well it's fine. A game like Uncharted 2 is remarkably well paced, if not for all the literal cliff hanger moments (though in play these are more effective) Heavy Rain was a one off. I wouldn't worry too much about Sony's cinematic efforts as they are quite decent. It's mostly FPS games that are suffering.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

To me it makes the game more immersive which is a good thing. You still get tons of gameplay with Uncharted, but it won't just be mindless shooting. The cruise ship level for example in Uncharted 3 is amazingly fun.