Is Swapping Discs a Big Deal For You?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UnrealSin_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 UnrealSin_X
Member since 2008 • 925 Posts
Do you find that swapping discs ruins the game experience?

What are your thoughts on this and is Blu-Ray a good idea for gaming?
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

Do you find that swapping discs ruins the game experience?

UnrealSin_X

nope

What are your thoughts on this and is Blu-Ray a good idea for gaming? UnrealSin_X

i think blu-ray would have a been a good idea if it didnt jack up the price of the console without bringing noticeable improvements, its a good media system that simply came out too early

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

This is EASY to answer.

Was DVD rom a good idea for gaming?

Think about this.

We could all be using CD's still, swapping could replace DVD's.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#4 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
Not at all. I don't mind standing up every 20 hours.
UnrealSin_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UnrealSin_X

[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"]Do you find that swapping discs ruins the game experience?

st1ka

nope

What are your thoughts on this and is Blu-Ray a good idea for gaming? UnrealSin_X

i think blu-ray would have a been a good idea if it didnt jack up the price of the console without bringing noticeable improvements

By the time next gen consoles come(assuming Blu-Ray becomes Main Stream) consoles will be back on the verge of 300$. Especially Sony and Microsoft, Sony learned by experience and set an example to the others to never price a console so high.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 st1ka

By the time next gen consoles come(assuming Blu-Ray becomes Main Stream) consoles will be back on the verge of 300$. Especially Sony and Microsoft, Sony learned by experience and set an example to the others to never price a console so high.UnrealSin_X

yes because there werent any other consoles in gaming history with such high prices :roll:

really are you even listening to yourself? so i guess we should all thank microsoft for the RROD because no we know no one will ever do it again

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#7 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Do I mind swapping discs? No.

Is Blu-ray a good idea for gaming? Yes. While its not a necessity, its a luxury not only for gamers but for developers. As larger games are released, I don't see how it isn't good for a developer to have the extra space that is offered by Blu-ray.

UnrealSin_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UnrealSin_X

This is EASY to answer.

What about CD rom?

Think about this.

SolidTy

CD's and DVD's were a Huge leap from cartridges and VHS but Blu-Ray isnt too huge of a leap.
M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

I used to tolerate it with PS1, DC and GC.

Now, disc-switching is completely archaic. I has to go.

lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lolag
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts

no, as long the overall game lasts over than 30 hours then im fine but its shorter than and thier blu ray discs, i think ill pass

-Sphere-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 -Sphere-
Member since 2008 • 1063 Posts
I don't mind it. It is the only thing that gets me on my feet. :)
UnrealSin_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UnrealSin_X

[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"]
By the time next gen consoles come(assuming Blu-Ray becomes Main Stream) consoles will be back on the verge of 300$. Especially Sony and Microsoft, Sony learned by experience and set an example to the others to never price a console so high.st1ka

yes because there werent any other consoles in gaming history with such high prices :roll:

really are you even listening to yourself? so i guess we should all thank microsoft for the RROD because no we know no one will ever do it again

The only consoles with such high prices were all failures, an example is 3DO. Sony, however, made a terrific deal with the PS3 and that is why it is selling so well.

MS did'nt anticipate that RRoD would even happen to such an extent,33% failure rate? Why the hell would they screw themself up so bad only to pay the same price as losing later?

Companies make examples for each other and if you don't believe that i suggest taking a business class ASAP.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

This is EASY to answer.

We could have used CD's instead of DVD's...

Think about this.

UnrealSin_X

CD's and DVD's were a Huge leap from cartridges and VHS but Blu-Ray isnt too huge of a leap.

I must have confused you.

Let me keep it simple.

DVD = 4-5 CDs

We didn't NEED DVD's, we could have swapped them.

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
No.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
I've never had to do it (this gen)but I can't imagine that it would be too big a deal for me.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
Well, Ive never had to do it, so I dont care..
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
yes. if one is lost or scratched, I'm out of a game.
Slyprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Slyprince
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

yes. if one is lost or scratched, I'm out of a game.Hewkii

If you have 1 disc game and you scratch that you cant play the game at all.

IMO if you can pay $60 for a game you should be able to take care of it.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"]
By the time next gen consoles come(assuming Blu-Ray becomes Main Stream) consoles will be back on the verge of 300$. Especially Sony and Microsoft, Sony learned by experience and set an example to the others to never price a console so high.UnrealSin_X

The only consoles with such high prices were all failures, an example is 3DO. Sony, however, made a terrific deal with the PS3 and that is why it is selling so well.

MS did'nt anticipate that RRoD would even happen to such an extent,33% failure rate? Why the hell would they screw themself up so bad only to pay the same price as losing later?

Companies make examples for each other and if you don't believe that i suggest taking a business ****ASAP.

sony made a terrific deal with the PS3 by loosing 3 billion dollars?

your saying we should thank them for making mistakes that are common sense to anyone? and i am the one who is supposed to go to business ****ASAP?

you my friend need a good dose of good ol´ common sense

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
nope not when have a life can't beat a game in one day.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
No, and if it does you are seriously lazy.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
No, because I don't sit and play games for hours on end. If getting up and changing a disc makes anyone mad, then it'd be the least of their concerns.
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#23 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Depends on the game.

Linear swapping, where you only swap forward, that's no big deal at all. Minor nuisance. This is the FFVII style

Multi-way swapping, where the game is spread out over multiple disks and swaps are frequent and go back and forth, yes this can ruin a game for me. This is the Baldur's Gate style (nearly killed that game for me before I managed to get a bigger HDD and install it completely).

snorlaxmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 snorlaxmaster
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts

No it isn't and neither is installing.....

UnrealSin_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UnrealSin_X
[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

This is EASY to answer.

What about CD rom?

Think about this.

SolidTy

Let me keep it simple.

DVD = 4-5 CDs

I see, but do you think Blu-Ray will ever become as huge as DVD or CD or even VHS? First off you need an HDTV and a Blu-Ray player which both cost a lot as of now and not only that but America is in Recession, so how can we see Blu-Ray becoming the future under such circumstances? As for the rest of the world Blu-Ray has hardly taken off. In Japan people plan to purchase one but sales are still slow. In Europe it is selling pretty well but nowhere near as much as DVD and the rest of the world such as third world countries will not be able to afford such things, all in which is neccessary to make BluRay Succesful.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidTy

Depends on the game.

Linear swapping, where you only swap forward, that's no big deal at all. Minor nuisance. This is the FFVII style

Multi-way swapping, where the game is spread out over multiple disks and swaps are frequent and go back and forth, yes this can ruin a game for me. This is the Baldur's Gate style (nearly killed that game for me before I managed to get a bigger HDD and install it completely).

DerekLoffin

That's what I was going to point out to the TC, but you beat me too it. Disc Swapping doesn't work for all gameplay types.

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts

yes. if one is lost or scratched, I'm out of a game.Hewkii
Never understood this logic about multi disc games. If you lose a single disc, same concept.

Anyways to answer TC's question. No problem with multi disc games. Blu-ray can be good for gaming, just not necessarily now.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Never understood this logic about multi disc games. If you lose a single disc, same concept.

waynehead895

more discs, more chances for it to happen.

Vax45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vax45
Member since 2005 • 4834 Posts
More of a momentary annoyance for me.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

This is EASY to answer.

What about CD rom?

Think about this.

UnrealSin_X

Let me keep it simple.

DVD = 4-5 CDs

I see, but do you think Blu-Ray will ever become as huge as DVD or CD or even VHS? First off you need an HDTV and a Blu-Ray player which both cost a lot as of now and not only that but America is in Recession, so how can we see Blu-Ray becoming the future under such circumstances? As for the rest of the world Blu-Ray has hardly taken off. In Japan people plan to purchase one but sales are still slow. In Europe it is selling pretty well but nowhere near as much as DVD and the rest of the world such as third world countries will not be able to afford such things, all in which is neccessary to make BluRay Succesful.

I don't know if Blu-Ray will be as big as DVD to the world. That depends on too many variables. At this point, it doesn't look like it.

As far as a larger media, there are other benefits to the developer that disc swapping doesn't alleviate.

DerekLoffin made my point before you replied. That's where I was going to take the discussion.

UnrealSin_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UnrealSin_X
[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"]
By the time next gen consoles come(assuming Blu-Ray becomes Main Stream) consoles will be back on the verge of 300$. Especially Sony and Microsoft, Sony learned by experience and set an example to the others to never price a console so high.st1ka

Companies make examples for each other and if you don't believe that i suggest taking a business ****ASAP.

sony made a terrific deal with the PS3 by loosing 3 billion dollars?

your saying we should thank them for making mistakes that are common sense to anyone? and i am the one who is supposed to go to business ****ASAP?

you my friend need a good dose of good ol´ common sense

Losing then gaining is how business works, otherwise no business would be succesful. By your logic the world wouldnt even be as it is now, you have to lose to gain. Common sense;)
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 waynehead895

Depends on the game.

DerekLoffin
Didn't know there were games that actually did this.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidTy

[QUOTE="Hewkii"]yes. if one is lost or scratched, I'm out of a game.waynehead895

Anyways to answer TC's question. No problem with multi disc games. Blu-ray can be good for gaming, just not necessarily now.

That's a good answer. Other than a few select Dev's like Kojima, we aren't seeing Blu used very well.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#34 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"]

Depends on the game.

waynehead895

There is, but they are few for good reason, it seriously sucks to do that much disk swapping. After a few hours with BG in this mode, I was ready to huck the disks out the window.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidTy
[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"]

Depends on the game.

waynehead895

Games developed so large is where a larger media is of great benefit to the dev and consumer. Can you imagine GTA5, having to swap discs if you enter a new part of the city?

Dev's will usually avoid that scenerio, thereby making a game different from their original vision. Larger media Can restore their original vision.

I think DVD"s were introduced (PS2, 2000) to early to consoles too, but it worked out in the end.

I don't know if Blu wll have the same type of impact, but it's still something to look at.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 st1ka

Losing then gaining is how business works, otherwise no business would be succesful. By your logic the world wouldnt even be as it is now, you have to lose to gain. Common sense;)UnrealSin_X

i love it how you keep talking as if you understood business tactics :lol:

blu-ray is indeed a future asset, the PS3 itself is a faliure when compared to its predecessors and given how its competition is trying to push with the video-on demand we dont know just how much will blu-ray pay off

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#37 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts
Yes disc swapping is bad. The thought of losing 4 calories from getting up to swap disc infuriates me. Stupid primitive disc. ARGHHHH!!!!
kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts
Nope
UnrealSin_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 UnrealSin_X

[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"]
Losing then gaining is how business works, otherwise no business would be succesful. By your logic the world wouldnt even be as it is now, you have to lose to gain. Common sense;)st1ka

blu-ray is indeed a future asset, the PS3 itself is a faliure when compared to its predecessors and given how its competition is trying to push with the video-on demand we dont know just how much will blu-ray pay off

I don't have complete knowledge over Business tactics but i know the basics.

Your statement is true and i agree with you except we do not know if the PS3 is a failure yet, but look at how Nintendo gambled with the Wii remote and is now a commercial success.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"]
Losing then gaining is how business works, otherwise no business would be succesful. By your logic the world wouldnt even be as it is now, you have to lose to gain. Common sense;)UnrealSin_X

Your statement is true and i agree with you except we do not know if the PS3 is a failure yet, but look at how Nintendo gambled with the Wii remote and is now a commercial success.

except motion sensing is actually game related and not common sense

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 waynehead895
[QUOTE="waynehead895"]

Hewkii

I guess. I almost lost one game in my entire life and I found it like a month later. Losing games have never been a real issue with me.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Wouldn't matter to me if I had to switch a Blu-Ray disc. I have never encountered a game in all my years of playing that has an unfeasable or problematic annoyance with disc swapping. Unless one arrives I could really care less. I have to switch discs to play different games so whats the problem?

Now if it becomes a routine thing in a game or some how a dev figures out how to make it a an ingame annoyance then okay we have a problem.

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Coyo7e
Member since 2005 • 3672 Posts
I don't mind swapping discs and I do not mind installs either.
UnrealSin_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 UnrealSin_X
[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"]
Losing then gaining is how business works, otherwise no business would be succesful. By your logic the world wouldnt even be as it is now, you have to lose to gain. Common sense;)st1ka

Don't take my insults seriously, it's all for fun here.;)
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
I don't mind swapping disks.Not really a big hassle.
ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
It's nothing other than a minor inconvinience, I think Blu Ray is a good idea and im fine with installations.
snorlaxmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 snorlaxmaster
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts
I don't mind swapping discs and I do not mind installs either.Coyo7e
Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Coyo7e
Member since 2005 • 3672 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"]

Don't take my insults seriously, it's all for fun here.;)

That is fine, but do not expect people to not take insults seriously, that is why they are called insults.

I really do not understand why insulting someone over the internet is fun. When I do it is because I am frustrated and because this is the net there is no other recourse.

aliasfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 aliasfreak
Member since 2004 • 2878 Posts
[QUOTE="Hewkii"][QUOTE="waynehead895"]

waynehead895

Losing games have never been a real issue with me.

Same here, I take care of all of my games.

I'm sure this has been pointed out in another thread, but does it not rub anyone the wrong way that MGS4, if I understood correctly, required install times between each act? Does this not generate one of the big problems people have with disc swapping, namely that it takes you out of the game for a time?

Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Oscar-Wilde
Member since 2007 • 1675 Posts
No, i don't mind swapping in the least. And about blu-ray, I'm not really that informed of all the benefits that it brings to gaming to form a valid opinion.