jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

I have seen some You Tubers discussing this on the back of the Sony President's address. I know that You Tubers like their hot-takes but he does seem to be indicating that PC releases will come earlier in the cycle. I have said for a long while that both Sony and MS will drop the consoles as soon as they are able to.

And call me a cynical old goat but I think that if there hadn't been so much fallout about the Xbox One DRM thing that Sony would have happily followed suit. I think Sony will see what the outcome of tonight's MS presentation and the fallout and make decisions based on that.

So do you think there is any substance in the rumours could be true or is it just YT hooey?

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

They will eventually release their games on PC either day and date or after a very short delay. Give it a couple years.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

If they do, a cow will have no reason to exist. I don't want to become irrelevant like every single lemming in the next couple of hours.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

That’s definitely the direction that things are heading in. Their best selling system is still the PS2 so it’s not like their market is growing. Games have become exponentially more to develop. You can’t just keep raising prices for the same sized consumer base or smaller to make up the difference. Multi platform is just the way that things need to go.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 507 Posts

According to Sony, they're going to "aggressively improve their margin performance" for 1st party games to PC and states that they want 50% of their playstation portfolio on PC by 2025, so yes, I anticipate closer releases of Sony titles to PC moving forward.

https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-boss-says-first-party-pc-releases-will-be-part-of-aggressive-growth-plan

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

That’s definitely the direction that things are heading in. Their best selling system is still the PS2 so it’s not like their market is growing. Games have become exponentially more to develop. You can’t just keep raising prices for the same sized consumer base or smaller to make up the difference. Multi platform is just the way that things need to go.

My aren't you full of optimism and good vibes.

Not SW's material!

lol :P

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

@Heil68: Very optimistic. More people getting to play more games. Win-win! :D

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

I think a lot of us have said that Sony would go day and date with PC, its inevitable at this point given the recent comments by the CEO.

I think it will be hard for people to come to terms with given Sony's storied history, but it is better for the company.

I dont think theyll put their single player titles on Xbox outside of the Bungie stuff, but I do expect their GAAS titles to be on Xbox at some point if they want them to survive more than 6-12mos.

Its also inevitable that MS will publish more titles on PS5 give that they just purchased a major 3rd party publisher.

Economically, publishing on PS5 is more of a threat to PS5 than keeping them exclusive if those titles are also on Game Pass

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

Doubt it for consoles. Their PC ambitions are slowly progressing and they have years to go before they even create some kind of PC-console ecosystem. Perhaps the only change is them ditching the idea staggering their releases. Which IMO frees up studios to get cracking on new games faster. Plus it helps build sales momentum on their game releases. Overall a benefit. But this is just in strategy. They have to get into releasing new games at a steady pace, which doesn't appear to be anytime soon. For now, it appears to be years of remasters/remakes, and maybe some of these GaaS start popping up for release.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22685 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

If they do, a cow will have no reason to exist. I don't want to become irrelevant like every single lemming in the next couple of hours.

You identifying your life to a plastic box is far more of an issue than games going multiplatform.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator

.... I didn't think being a steam deck owner could be any more perfect, but Sony wants to make sure the hardware of Gen gets all the goodies!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen

@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

You identifying your life to a plastic box is far more of an issue than games going multiplatform.

I don't know, bro, i think it gives me strength being assiciated with a certain multi billion dollars company. And you know what? I don't want to lose it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheEroica  Moderator

@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

I don't know, bro, i think it gives me strength being assiciated with a certain multi billion dollars company. And you know what? I don't want to lose it.

Get a tattoo? Jim Ryan's face on your behind was popular in 2024 I heard

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69490 Posts

Convergence is inevitable. Agnostic gaming for the win.😌

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts

No, however though, I do see the industry continuing to consolidate. The next big move is a seamless integration between consoles and PC. I truly believe that once one of them embraces a new launcher or sides with someone like Steam or Epic the other/s will follow suit.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pedro

@WitIsWisdom said:

No, however though, I do see the industry continuing to consolidate. The next big move is a seamless integration between consoles and PC. I truly believe that once one of them embraces a new launcher or sides with someone like Steam or Epic the other/s will follow suit.

Buy once play anywhere.😮

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hardwenzen
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Get a tattoo? Jim Ryan's face on your behind was popular in 2024 I heard

Not Jimbo Ryan, but a PLAYSTATION 4 LIFE tattoo ain't a bad idea tbh.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12960 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

I have seen some You Tubers discussing this on the back of the Sony President's address. I know that You Tubers like their hot-takes but he does seem to be indicating that PC releases will come earlier in the cycle. I have said for a long while that both Sony and MS will drop the consoles as soon as they are able to.

And call me a cynical old goat but I think that if there hadn't been so much fallout about the Xbox One DRM thing that Sony would have happily followed suit. I think Sony will see what the outcome of tonight's MS presentation and the fallout and make decisions based on that.

So do you think there is any substance in the rumours could be true or is it just YT hooey?

They already are. They keep reiterating that that is their direction.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#19 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2565 Posts

Since 2 gens ago with the advent of what we came to know as live services; I have been saying, if traditional consoles manufactures stop making them, the first one to go will be Xbox, then several years later will be PlayStation and Nintendo will keep doing weird shit til they disappear.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8854 Posts

@jcafcwbb: I highly doubt it.

It does seem, however, that they will release 1st party on PC day 1, just like Xbox.

TLHBO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TLHBO
Member since 2003 • 8360 Posts

Now that Microsoft is throwing up the white flag in the console war I wonder if they will stop funding these shill accounts.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

Mass development cost has really skyrocket this time around, the cost of having just exclusive to one platform/console isn't sustainable enough to warrant the cost for everything and no doubt Sony is truly feeling the pressure as they need to make more money and which is why they started charging over $70 for a game. I wouldn't say Sony is going 3rd-party but they sure might as well just released there exclusives day one with PC/PS5 at this point if they truly want to make up the cost and releasing their games later/a year later on PC isn't doing them any favors. Not to mention, their PSVR2 is also costing Sony more money lost.

Jim Ryan really didn't see this coming and Sony is paying the price for his mistakes.

@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Just become a Hermit like the rest of us. Don't be a Sony Peasant, be a PC God😎

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By Nonstop-Madness  Online
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

We'll definitely see more of their content go multiplatform. GaaS is going to be a greater focus than before and it'll be on some variation of console, PC and mobile.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7166 Posts
@davillain said:

Mass development cost has really skyrocket this time around, the cost of having just exclusive to one platform/console isn't sustainable enough to warrant the cost for everything and no doubt Sony is truly feeling the pressure as they need to make more money and which is why they started charging over $70 for a game. I wouldn't say Sony is going 3rd-party but they sure might as well just released there exclusives day one with PC/PS5 at this point if they truly want to make up the cost and releasing their games later/a year later on PC isn't doing them any favors. Not to mention, their PSVR2 is also costing Sony more money lost.

Jim Ryan really didn't see this coming and Sony is paying the price for his mistakes.

@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Just become a Hermit like the rest of us. Don't be a Sony Peasant, be a PC God😎

what mistake? being the most hyped system ever. having games at launch for the new system owners? selling 4 to1 over the competition. first party most games selling over 10 million before it hits pc.

psvr2 been out for 1 year its has 2 res evil games,a grand Turismo, a horizon game, starwars, switch back 2 . psvr2 has so many great titles in one year. show me any perifial with that much support in one year. my god sw acts like psvr2 been out for years.

just announced metro awaking for vr as well.

what's killing sony and gaming in general is not jim ryan its the economy.

be a pc god. averge person can't even afford a ps5 nevermind a 2000 pc.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro

Sony fannies would be searching for 1.5 years.😂

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#26 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19552 Posts

Releasing games on PC is not third party.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

@Jag85: So what is third party then?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jag85

@Pedro: Releasing games on other consoles where you're not the platform holder. PC technically has no platform holder.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@Jag85 said:

@Pedro: Releasing games on other consoles.

Never heard that being a rule, but even by your constraint, Sony is third party.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jag85

@Pedro: Since when did Sony release games for Xbox or Switch?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro

@Jag85 said:

@Pedro: Since when did Sony release games for Xbox or Switch?

MLB and Destiny.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@Pedro: Releasing games on other consoles where you're not the platform holder. PC technically has no platform holder.

In short, it's just console exclusive (PS5) & PC releases meaning we don't see this as Sony going 3rd-party

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jag85

@Pedro: Guess that means both Sony and MS are dabbling a little in third party... But they still own their own console platforms, which is where most of their games are releasing.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

I just hope Sony makes their own launcher / store / friendlist / trophy / UI system on PC. Every game on the PSStore (including PS exclusives) to be sold and ran through them.

I hate having to deal with Steam, GamePass, Battle Net, Epic Games, GOG, etc.

Just give me all my games in one place, please

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34614 Posts

They currently are.

You mean if they are going third party even more?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Litchie
@Mozelleple112 said:

I just hope Sony makes their own launcher / store / friendlist / trophy / UI system on PC. Every game on the PSStore (including PS exclusives) to be sold and ran through them.

I hate having to deal with Steam, GamePass, Battle Net, Epic Games, GOG, etc.

Just give me all my games in one place, please

You hate having to deal with several different storefronts, so you want another storefront to deal with.

Right.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@Litchie:

Maybe I didn't formulate my original statement well enough, to clarify:

I already have a PSN account that I have owned and collected trophies/friends/recorded hours with for 18 years.

I don't want a NEW one. I want my CURRENTLY EXISTING PSN account (along with my 250+ games, thousands of trophies etc.) to work on PC.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Litchie

@Mozelleple112: Makes more sense. Don't think Sony will do what you want, they'd rather sell you ports of the games you've already bought instead of letting you play them on PC through your existing PS account.

Since Sony have started to put shit on Steam though, I think it's better for everyone if they continued with that. That way you can have all your PC and future Sony games on Steam.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Yep. any day now. ;o

If we're lucky. lol :P

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13665 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X: Probably. Games just cost too much to make and they want to maximise profits.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6868 Posts

They will be irrelevant within a decade if they choose that path but who knows.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10615 Posts

I said this once and I’ll say it again: if Sony goes the same route as MS with their gaming strategy, I believe that it won’t go as fast as the Xbox, but the end of a PlayStation console will be in the foreseeable future.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8076 Posts

@ermacness said:

I said this once and I’ll say it again: if Sony goes the same route as MS with their gaming strategy, I believe that it won’t go as fast as the Xbox, but the end of a PlayStation console will be in the foreseeable future.

Sony makes a ton of money off of 3rd party games like Fortnite, Call of Duty, and Minecraft being in their console Playstation Store via a 30% cut of sales.. Why would they give up that revenue by leaving the console business?..

Also, Sony makes a ton for money by charging console users for online multiplayer via PS Plus.. Again, why would they give up that revenue by leaving the console business?..

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

Like Microsoft, Sony will not exit the gaming business even if they stop making consoles. Like Microsoft they will make money from sales from their online store and the games they produce. Owning publishers and IPs will be more important than the hardware they will be played on.

The sad thing is that even if consoles go that will not stop exclusives. On PC, the FF7R was an Epic store exclusive for a while and I can see other games in the future being exclusive to one digital store. The only upside of consoles going is that if the PC gaming industry can get itself organised and produce cheap off the shelf PCs where you do not have to research graphic cards etc.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ermacness

@Antwan3K said:
@ermacness said:

Sony makes a ton of money off of 3rd party games like Fortnite, Call of Duty, and Minecraft being in their console Playstation Store via a 30% cut of sales.. Why would they give up that revenue by leaving the console business?..

Also, Sony makes a ton for money by charging console users for online multiplayer via PS Plus.. Again, why would they give up that revenue by leaving the console business?..

I’m not saying by next gen, but the shift seems to be more pc focused and I wouldn’t be surprised if the PlayStation goes the same way as the Xbox in the coming future if Sony copies Microsoft.

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 275 Posts

What? You mean no more reason to own shitty PlayStation hardware? No reason to pay for shitty online subscriptions? Imagine that.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8076 Posts

@ermacness said:
@Antwan3K said:
@ermacness said:

I’m not saying by next gen, but the shift seems to be more pc focused and I wouldn’t be surprised if the PlayStation goes the same way as the Xbox in the coming future if Sony copies Microsoft.

"the same way as Xbox"?

If you mean expanding their install base of monthly-active-users and increasing their gaming revenue to new heights, yes.. That's exactly what Playstation plans to do..

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ermacness

@Antwan3K said:
@ermacness said:
@Antwan3K said:
@ermacness said:

"the same way as Xbox"?

If you mean expanding their install base of monthly-active-users and increasing their gaming revenue to new heights, yes.. That's exactly what Playstation plans to do..

I’m not saying anything about MS and the gaming industry, but NO ONE can sit here and say that the Xbox console have been a stellar success as of recent.

That’s what I’m talking about!