Is Prey a good game? Can you recommend it?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

I know some things about Prey, but probably not enough. What are your thoughts on this game?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Which Prey? 2006? or 2017?

Personally I enjoyed the 2006, had a much more interesting story and villains and game mechanics. 2017 was ok but to me was forgettable.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#3  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Prey 2006 had some cool ideas, nice art design, and an interesting story. Not super must-play, but still recommended.

Prey 2017 is fun but bland. Imagine System Shock 2 without the atmosphere and writing even more robotic than the protocol droids. YMMV.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

(assuming you're talking about the 2017 one)

I don't think it was worth its $60 launch price tag, but at the $15-$20 you can pick it up for now? Go for it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Said this a hundred times on sw alone. Very good level design. Trash everything else.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

Personally, I loved Prey (2017)

I didn't play it until 2019, but it was easily one of my most enjoyed game that year. If you are familiar with Arkane Studios games, then you know what to expect gameplay wise. I got 100% on this and kind of wish I could go back and do it again for the first time.

One thing, though. I think a lot of people went into this with certain expectations and ended up disappointed. I went into it expecting it to be meh and ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

If we are talking about Prey (2006) then I know nothing.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Worth giving a try and it's on Game Pass. I played through it quite a few times, most recently after it got the fps boost on Series X. Still great fun.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Prey is excellent, just don't go in with the wrong expectations. It is very much an immersive sim, and the pace can be slow for people expecting FPS-levels of action and stuff.

A lot of the game is exploring, the combat is often more strategic than reflex-based, and there's a good chunk of reading and research and such to do.

It's a great game though, can't recommend it enough. Really solid gameplay, enemies are cool, story is good, the overall art direction is really neat.

@Jendeh said:

... If you are familiar with Arkane Studios games, then you know what to expect gameplay wise. I got 100% on this and kind of wish I could go back and do it again for the first time.

Yeah the overall Arkane game loop in their first-person games is pretty fun imo. Assess the situation, formulate a strategy, execute strategy, and then improvise if it goes wrong.

It's that rare combination of being fun both when everything goes according to plan or if things go terribly wrong.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3728 Posts

The original Prey was a good game. This new Bethesda Prey is kind of boring.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Prey was my GOTY when it released. I enjoyed the freedom that the game offered and that the game was gameplay focused.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Its most old school game of last gen. Old prey was trash. Peole want same old casual.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

Prey 2017 is a great game for the first ~80%, then it goes downhill after the bots start attacking you and you just have to go back to the already explored areas instead of discovering new stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

I depends if you like the genre or not. I love it, it's a superb game.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

It’s excellent. I really enjoyed it. I played it on the Series X with the FPS boost.

For me, it was a little on the difficult and I had to play it very slowly and carefully, but I guess that’s the point. I think it took me around 40 plus hours to complete it.

Aesthetically it’s beautiful, but enemy design should have been better.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46288 Posts

Prey 2006 is alright, not something I would recommend today but the gimmicks like space walking and portal were still fun enough.

Prey 2017 is a masterpiece, nobody can beat Arkane and I'm hoping this game gets a sequel.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58961 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Prey 2006 had some cool ideas, nice art design, and an interesting story. Not super must-play, but still recommended.

Prey 2017 is fun but bland. Imagine System Shock 2 without the atmosphere and writing even more robotic than the protocol droids. YMMV.

Pretty much this ^

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@madrocketeer said:

Pretty much this ^

Prey is best Bioshock game.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I didn't like it then I did. The first hour or so isn't great which is why I stopped playing it the first time around, but I gave it another go as Ghostforever was banging on about it a lot and he does tend to like a lot of the same types of shooters as me so I thought why not. Had to push myself past the first part again but it definitely gets better. Its the closest thing to SS2 and better than Bioshock IMO.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

People who think prey is good will tell you it's good,people who think it's bad will tell you it's bad.

How's about you play it and make your own mind up,crazy idea I know but hey it works for me

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11090 Posts

I thought Prey 2017 was boring and little more rigid than advertised, but maybe I approached it wrong. I'm going to play it again though one of these days, I swear.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

The first hour is really cool. After that it's eh for me.

After you've played it for about 5 hours you'll know if you like it and should continue playing it or not.

Play on easy your first time. Combat is hard!

One other thing I will say- the game does not hold your hand and there are many options for traversal and upgrades.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts
@templecow90999 said:

Play on easy your first time. Combat is hard!

I think this is a great way to make the game less impactful. I would not recommend playing on easy. The game is supposed to feel hard in the beginning. Instead I would suggest employing stealth and exploration. You find a bunch of cool shit, realize all the different ways you can move around the areas indirectly, and then become more confident as you level up. Once you hit midgame you will have way more resources and skills and you can get really creative with how you take out groups of enemies.

Give it a try on normal first, and only switch if you are stuck. Pro tip: you can sneak by most enemies and come back later, security terminals can be used to keep track of some things...

Just my two cents... it's about having fun so that is most important.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

I really like 2017's Prey. I first owned it on Xbox, but I never completed it on there. The frame rate wasn't great. This game needs to be played at 60fps!

Also, don't rely on your weapons, bullets like a standard FPS as there are different ways to kill the Aliens in this game. The 'Leverage' Neuromod for example allows you to throw objects at your enemies.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Seems cool so far.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

@DEVILinIRON: Since you never return to tell us what Prey 2006 or 2017 are you talking about, so I'll assume its Prey 2017. I got absolutely bored out of my mind after a few hours. Tedious is the word but Arkane themselves are a hit or a miss. Regarding Prey 2017 itself, I think it's mostly very good, but I'm annoyed by how closely it came to being excellent but then failed. Most of it is great, but to me it failed on the following scores:

• The final quarter of the game or so is noticeably inferior to the rest.
  • The ending is awful and a total anti-climax.
  • The enemies are badly placed and predictable, so there's little feeling of fear as when you know the game you can predict fairly well where the enemies will be when you enter a level. The enemies should be more randomly placed when you enter a level, they should randomly respawn (but not near you, but close enough to track you down or for you to run into them) more like in System Shock 2, where it really keeps you on your toes as you can never relax. Also, the monsters' appearances should vary more, to make them more visually interesting,
  • The people you meet don't seem interesting or arouse your concern for their welfare, as their characterization and associated writing aren't well done at all so they don't seem like real people in fear of their lives.
  • There should be more weapons. I'm happy with the one's that are in the game, and their associated upgrades, but I suppose more choice is always good, and it would have been interesting to be able to craft/build offensive weaponry and machinery.

I'm not gonna lie, I'd personally prefer games like Bioshock series over Prey 2017, it even makes Bioshock look more badass.