Is Microsoft afraid of exclusive games/exclusive content?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Solquid_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Solquid_Snake
Member since 2011 • 369 Posts

I'm just curious as to why they aren't funding any projects or to have exclusive content in multiplats. (and I'm not referring to timed exclusive content that consumers have to pay for like Homefront and Call of Duty: Black Ops)

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
i said it in another thread that MS seems to have problems balancing all sides of there platform, at the same time they havent been around as long in the gaming world as sony/ninty so it could be immaturity in the company
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Honestly, 'exclusive' content in multiplatform games usually sucks.
jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 jdt532
Member since 2003 • 4236 Posts

Maybe it's cause third party exclusives are rare anymore and MS doesn't have much in terms of internal studios that could make exclusive games like Sony and Nintendo do.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
They spent a lot on Kinect. Not good for us gamers but there's the explanation I guess. I'm sure Forza 4 will be one of the best exclusives in a while though, on any platform.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eboyishere

They spent a lot on Kinect. Not good for us gamers but there's the explanation I guess. I'm sure Forza 4 will be one of the best exclusives in a while though, on any platform.SaltyMeatballs

im not on the 360 that much and im not a fan of racing sims but i can agree with that

I-Scarface-I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 I-Scarface-I
Member since 2011 • 93 Posts

They would need to fund these first-party exclusives and most of them just aren't worth it to them. They're in the business to make money and they're doing it.

I have no problem with Microsoft. I have no interest in their system but they're smart. Why bother putting tens, maybe hundreds of millions of dollars into a game that might not even succeed? Contrary to popular belief, developers don't do exclusives out of the kindness of their heart.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]They spent a lot on Kinect. Not good for us gamers but there's the explanation I guess. I'm sure Forza 4 will be one of the best exclusives in a while though, on any platform.eboyishere

im not on the 360 that much and im not a fan of racing sims but i can agree with that

I'm not a huge fan of racing sims either, but I can appreciate when something is of high quality and I feel Forza 3 was, and from what we know and the leaked Forza 4 trailer it will be even better.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Because they are making money in other ways.
Solquid_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Solquid_Snake

They would need to fund these first-party exclusives and most of them just aren't worth it to them. They're in the business to make money and they're doing it.

I have no problem with Microsoft. I have no interest in their system but they're smart. Why bother putting tens, maybe hundreds of millions of dollars into a game that might not even succeed? Contrary to popular belief, developers don't do exclusives out of the kindness of their heart.

I-Scarface-I

Yeah, but Sony (as well as Nintendo) don't have any issues developing games like Microsoft. Their developers are getting paid regardless if the games sell well or not.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

They are not afraid of exclusives... they are preparing lots of Kinect games.

Thread fail.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
Because they are making money in other ways.soulitane
And their policy so far proved to be the best one (in terms of money-making) and pays off handsomely.
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

Thread fail.

GreenGoblin2099

Kinect games are not counted towards the exclusive list here on SW. Don't know why, and it's stupid, but that's how it goes

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 eboyishere

Because they are making money in other ways.soulitane

this, but at the same time they easily abandon other divisions....but i mean if it works it works right?8)

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

Thread fail.

EliteM0nk3y

Kinect games are not counted towards the exclusive list here on SW. Don't know why, and it's stupid, but that's how it goes

Well... can't blame SW:

sesame

:lol:

Solquid_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Solquid_Snake

Thread fail.

EliteM0nk3y

So games like Once Upon a Monster are worthy mentions?

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]

Thread fail.

Solquid_Snake

Perhaps not, but Dance Central certainly is.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]

Thread fail.

Solquid_Snake

If I get a Kinect for the M rated games, Children of Eden, etc. I'll get that Sesame Street one for when I'm drunk and have people over.
Solquid_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solquid_Snake

[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]

KC_Hokie

If I get a Kinect for the M rated games, Children of Eden, etc. I'll get that Sesame Street one for when I'm drunk and have people over.

Because we all know that Child of Eden is a Kinect as well as an Xbox 360 exclusive, right?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts
They seem to think people don't want them and are happy with kinect games.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

Solquid_Snake

Because we all know that Child of Eden is a Kinect as well as an Xbox 360 exclusive, right?

Child of Eden is being optimized for Kinect. It's going to be the best version.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 eboyishere

They seem to think people don't want them and are happy with kinect games. Heil68

they are doing the ninty approach...force a genre on people until they love it

I-Scarface-I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 I-Scarface-I
Member since 2011 • 93 Posts

[QUOTE="I-Scarface-I"]

Solquid_Snake

Yeah, but Sony (as well as Nintendo) don't have any issues developing games like Microsoft. Their developers are getting paid regardless if the games sell well or not.

Sony has been around way longer and has established a fanbase.

Microsoft is essentially late to the party and the only fanbase they have are the "Bro Gamers" as people call them. You really think these gamers would buy games like LittleBigPlanet, Heavy Rain, God of War, etc.? Off the top of my head I don't know sales numbers but I'm almost positive games like Alan Wake, Kameo and other first-party titles didn't perform too well.

Microsoft already has two big shooters along with Call of Duty. There's not really any new IP they can create because it's most likely going to disappoint. I can't remember seeing a non-Forza/Fable/Halo/Gears exclusive selling well. Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see what Microsoft can do in terms of exclusives. They would be risking too much money like they were when the gen first started.

Solquid_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Solquid_Snake

They seem to think people don't want them and are happy with kinect games. Heil68

Ah, that makes sense. The more ignorant the consumer, the happier they are. What they don't know what hurt 'em, right?

Solquid_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Solquid_Snake

[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]If I get a Kinect for the M rated games, Children of Eden, etc. I'll get that Sesame Street one for when I'm drunk and have people over. KC_Hokie

Keep on trucking with that mentality, bro. It makes the Kinect seem more and more like a worthy purchase!

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KC_Hokie

Solquid_Snake

Keep on trucking with that mentality, bro. It makes the Kinect seem more and more like a worthy purchase!

What is the date for the PS3 version again?
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#27 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

There's Kinect games.

*Shrugs*

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EliteM0nk3y

[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

[QUOTE="I-Scarface-I"]

I-Scarface-I

Sony has been around way longer and has established a fanbase.

Microsoft is essentially late to the party and the only fanbase they have are the "Bro Gamers" as people call them. You really think these gamers would buy games like LittleBigPlanet, Heavy Rain, God of War, etc.? Off the top of my head I don't know sales numbers but I'm almost positive games like Alan Wake, Kameo and other first-party titles didn't perform too well.

Microsoft already has two big shooters along with Call of Duty. There's not really any new IP they can create because it's most likely going to disappoint. I can't remember seeing a non-Forza/Fable/Halo/Gears exclusive selling well. Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see what Microsoft can do in terms of exclusives. They would be risking too much money like they were when the gen first started.

I believe the sales of Alan Wake are over 1 million at this point. But at launch they weren't impressive, but that might have something to do with it coming out on the same day as Red Dead Redemtion. And Kameo got enough sales to warrent a sequel, but MS cancelled it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17883 Posts
its just a different strategy. get timed exclusive content...tie it in with xbox live to increase subs...get money from 3rd party sales also....make lots of money. once they have people roped into xbox live with a few mates...they are far more likely to stick with it. MS also know that when it comes to some stuff people are very impatient. it exists...therefore they must have it. they do commission other devs to do work for them also. like epic and now crytek and bioware in the past. its going to be interesting to see if it works next gen though. first party also has its ups and downs. so what will come out on top? hard to say.
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EliteM0nk3y

[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]

Thread fail.

GreenGoblin2099

Well... can't blame SW:

sesame

:lol:

But it's being developed by Double Fine, so I have faith.

Solquid_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Solquid_Snake

[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Child of Eden is being optimized for Kinect. It's going to be the best version. KC_Hokie

Oh, that's right. You guys prefer timed exclusives.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KC_Hokie
Expect Alan Wake 2 to be announced at E3 or sometime soon.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KC_Hokie

Solquid_Snake

It's not a timed exclusive. The developer is concentrating on the Kinect version.
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts

I'm just curious as to why they aren't funding any projects or to have exclusive content in multiplats. (and I'm not referring to timed exclusive content that consumers have to pay for like Homefront and Call of Duty: Black Ops)

Solquid_Snake
Microsoft has funded tons of exclusives. They've thrown a crazy amount of money into them. Think about how much they spent on Two Human and Alan Wake. What about the pair of Mistwalker JRPG's they funded? Microsoft spent a ton of cash on exclusives that never really panned out for them (not saying the games were good or bad, they just didn't sell what MS wanted them to). Say what you want about their current strategy of timed exclusives, and PC/360 games but it's made them FAR MORE MONEY.
Solquid_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Solquid_Snake

[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]What is the date for the PS3 version again?KC_Hokie

It's not a timed exclusive. The developer is concentrating on the Kinect version.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KC_Hokie

Solquid_Snake

Do you have proof it's a timed exclusive?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
When this gen started microsoft were focused on gaining sony's market share by picking up as many IPs that they can. That time passed the moment the Wii started destroying both microsoft and sony in the sales...which is what microsoft cares about more than anything else.
Solquid_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Solquid_Snake

[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]It's not a timed exclusive. The developer is concentrating on the Kinect version. KC_Hokie

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27150646

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/297954/child-of-eden-ps3-set-for-3d-support/

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EliteM0nk3y

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

Solquid_Snake

no where did it say that it was timed.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

Solquid_Snake

A forum?

Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts

Give me a break. This whole gen Microsoft has had the upperhand as far as exclusive content is concerned. My guess is they are focusing on next gen.

doomndukeRback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 doomndukeRback
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
xbox's division has gone downhill since peter moore and other people left the company.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KC_Hokie

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/297954/child-of-eden-ps3-set-for-3d-support/

Solquid_Snake

You won't find it as a timed exclusive because it's not. The reality is the developer is concentrating on the Kinect version of Child of Eden.

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 EliteM0nk3y

xbox's division has gone downhill since peter moore and other people left the company.doomndukeRback

This I have to agree with. And funny, EA started to get better when Peter Moore went there. :shock:

Peter Moore come back to MS :cry:

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

EliteM0nk3y

Wait.......are you being serious? Thread where this was decided?

Solquid_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Solquid_Snake

[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

KC_Hokie

You won't find it as a timed exclusive because it's not. The reality is the developer is concentrating on the Kinect version of Child of Eden.

Now where is your link that says that the Kinect version is the only version being made?

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 EliteM0nk3y

[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]

shutdown_202

Wait.......are you being serious? Thread where this was decided?

I can't point to which thread because it was like that when I started coming here. But ya that's how it goes

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 EliteM0nk3y

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

Solquid_Snake

Now where is your link that says that the Kinect version is the only version being made?

He said that they are "focusing" on the Kinect. He didn't say that it's only being made on Kinect. It's also coming to the PS3 and I believe it will support the Move as well

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

Solquid_Snake

Unable to prove it's a timed exclusive, hunh?

And I never said it was the only version being made. I said they are concentrating on the Kinect version as it has a release date. The PS3 version is TBA and on the backburner.

Solquid_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Solquid_Snake

[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]You won't find it as a timed exclusive because it's not. The reality is the developer is concentrating on the Kinect version of Child of Eden.

KC_Hokie

Unable to prove it's a timed exclusive, hunh?

And I never said it was the only version being made. I said they are concentrating on the Kinect version as it has a release date. The PS3 version is TBA and on the backburner.

Because they are adding Move and 3D support. But yeah, the one that comes out first is the one that is being focused on! :lol: