Is Mass Effect 2 the perfect example of epic movie experience in a game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SilentlyMad
Member since 2009 • 2093 Posts

I have always wanted a epic movie experience in a game but done with game play not just CGI since I am playing a game after all. I have never seen a game trying to give that experience ever really pull it off though. Some games try to give that feeling like MGS4 or Heavy Rain but really you just are watching a movie. In ME2 you really can never put down your controller/keyboard because the few pure cutscenes there is are fairly short. The longest cutscene I guess is towards the end but you have two fights in the middle to even break that up. Even in the conversations you are still choosing what is said and most times how it is said.

The music, cimematics and writting just gives ME2 such a epic movie experience but still there is a ton of gameplay.

Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Revan_911
Member since 2007 • 1709 Posts

I have always wanted a epic movie experience in a game but done with game play not just CGI since I am playing a game after all. I have never seen a game trying to give that experience ever really pull it off though. Some games try to give that feeling like MGS4 or Heavy Rain but really you just are watching a movie. In ME2 you really can never put down your controller/keyboard because the few pure cutscenes there is are fairly short. The longest cutscene I guess is towards the end but you have to fights in the middle to even break that up. Even in the conversations you are still choosing what is said and most times how it is said.

The music, cimematics and writting just gives ME2 such a epic movie experience but still there is a ton of gameplay.

SilentlyMad

Ugh....no dude just no. I think that Uncharted 2 captures that cinematic experience perfectly.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Yes, it's a incredible experience... the best I ever had with a videogame.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Certainly is one of the best.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
ME2 does a great job of the sci fi drama epic, but I feel that U2 nails the Hollywood blockbuster feel perfectly.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

It is the best, most cinematic game I have played.

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#7 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

One of the best, but I don't what is the best.

hamzah1235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hamzah1235
Member since 2008 • 1189 Posts

uncharted 2

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

I consider it one of THE best.

But Uncharted 2 gets A LOT more closer to a perfect movie experience than Mass Effect 2.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Its without a doubt one of the best examples, but Uncharted 2 I think does the movie experiance alot better still.

TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TintedEyes
Member since 2009 • 4769 Posts
I'd put Uncharted 2 on a higher level than ME in terms of movie experiences.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
No, Uncharted 2 does it better.
Avatar image for Millennium_King
Millennium_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Millennium_King
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts

Uncharted has strange combat.

Nerdja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nerdja
Member since 2010 • 123 Posts
It could pass for a great movie
skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#15 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts

One of the best, but I think Uncharted 2 would suit a movie experience better as it is more confined and has a more cohesive narrative. Mass Effect is certainly cinematic, but many things that make the universe so great would have to be sacrificed in order to make it a movie. The story is far too large in scope for even the first game to be a single movie, let alone the sequel

Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cicatraz_ESP
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

Gets close but not Unchared close.

Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Revan_911

One of the best, but I think Uncharted 2 would suit a movie experience better as it is more confined and has a more cohesive narrative. Mass Effect is certainly cinematic, but many things that make the universe so great would have to be sacrificed in order to make it a movie. The story is far too large in scope for even the first game to be a single movie, let alone the sequel

skinny_man_69
It could fit into a movie. Granted anyone would be interested in making a movie of a generic sci and stupid sci fi story.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
[QUOTE="skinny_man_69"]

Revan_911
It could fit into a movie. Granted anyone would be interested in making a movie of a generic sci and stupid sci fi story.

Every ME/ME2 thread you come and bash them, just stay away, we know you have bad tastes in games you don't need to keep reminding everyone.
BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

I believe that title goes to the MGS series and Uncharted 2.

Nerdja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nerdja
[QUOTE="Revan_911"][QUOTE="skinny_man_69"]

Im_single

Every ME/ME2 thread you come and bash them, just stay away, we know you have bad tastes in games you don't need to keep reminding everyone.

Maybe he never played them
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

Eh, I thought the first did better in terms of story, music & general epicness.

skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skinny_man_69

[QUOTE="Im_single"][QUOTE="Revan_911"] It could fit into a movie. Granted anyone would be interested in making a movie of a generic sci and stupid sci fi story.Revan_911

So what? People give their opinion on games on forums and i give mine. It sucks. Most overrated game ever.

Then maybe you should just avoid talking about it? Bashing a game isn't going to change people's opinion on it. You have yours and we have ours. I don't agree with your opinion, that doesn't mean you are wrong and that goes both ways. If I didn't like a popular game I certainly wouldn't be joining every thread of that game and saying how much it sucks. But maybe that's just my personality: Lover not a figher :)

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20266 Posts

Spoiler Warning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dZtjUylzG4&feature=channel

No CGI, and it's even mixed with gameplay a bit.

ME2 was great but the scenes felt stiff. Open world games and dialog driven sequences will never be as exciting as scripted scenes in my opinion.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
U2 i think hit it better but ME2 isnt far behind
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="Im_single"][QUOTE="Revan_911"] It could fit into a movie. Granted anyone would be interested in making a movie of a generic sci and stupid sci fi story.Revan_911

So what? People give their opinion on games on forums and i give mine. It sucks. Most overrated game ever.

You have to have played it to say that.
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Hell no, too much stop and pop from heavy action to researching planets and talking to characters to romance and stuff.

U2 nails that.

Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Revan_911
[QUOTE="Revan_911"][QUOTE="Im_single"] Every ME/ME2 thread you come and bash them, just stay away, we know you have bad tastes in games you don't need to keep reminding everyone.blue_hazy_basic

I've had this argument before. People doubted that i have played it and i posted proof. Am i not allowed to dislike a game all of a sudden? Not everyone liked it you know check user reviews.
me_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 me_rock
Member since 2004 • 2462 Posts

I have yet to play it, I'm waiting for it to get it in my mailbox. Although Uncharted 2 seems like the epic movie experience, but I might change my mind when I actually play it.

SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SilentlyMad

Spoiler Warning.

ME2 was great but the scenes felt stiff. Open world games and dialog driven sequences will never be as exciting as scripted scenes in my opinion.

Zero_epyon

My comp is running slow for some reason so I only watched half of it. It that cut scene really almost 10 min long?

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Revan_911"] So what? People give their opinion on games on forums and i give mine. It sucks. Most overrated game ever.Revan_911

I've had this argument before. People doubted that i have played it and i posted proof. Am i not allowed to dislike a game all of a sudden? Not everyone liked it you know check user reviews.

You said in another thread you found one side mission in searching 200 planets. I dont think anyone believes you after that statement.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Revan_911"] So what? People give their opinion on games on forums and i give mine. It sucks. Most overrated game ever.Revan_911

I have ME2 arguments with u before too. I've seen you post about it in every thread with venomous vitrol. All I can see from the posts is a) someone who hasn't played it and b) has read a bit on wikipedia and watched a few youtube videos. You can not like a game, but when you just spam EVERY SINGLE ME thread with the same old stuff it crosses the line between dislike and trolling. You spout the same stuff in every thread and don't add to the discussion. Are people not allowed to like a game without someone posting 5 times a page bashing it and anyone's opinion who likes it?
Nerdja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nerdja
Uncharted 2 has a boring story. What happened to Marco Polo? Does Drake love Elena or Chlow? - snoozefest
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"]

Spoiler Warning.

SilentlyMad

My comp is running slow for some reason so I only watched half of it. It that cut scene really almost 10 min long?

No it's a compilation of scenes. The gameplay was omitted.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
No, because a movie experience would be passive.
Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Revan_911
[QUOTE="Revan_911"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] You have to have played it to say that.h575309

I have ME2 arguments with u before too. I've seen you post about it in every thread with venomous vitrol. All I can see from the posts is a) someone who hasn't played it and b) has read a bit on wikipedia and watched a few youtube videos. You can not like a game, but when you just spam EVERY SINGLE ME thread with the same old stuff it crosses the line between dislike and trolling. You spout the same stuff in every thread and don't add to the discussion. Are people not allowed to like a game without someone posting 5 times a page bashing it and anyone's opinion who likes it?

I am not trolling and i am adding to the discussion.... Is ME 2 the best most cinematic game ever? No it's overated. See that's called adding to the discussion.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zero_epyon
Uncharted 2 has a boring story. What happened to Marco Polo? Does Drake love Elena or Chlow? - snoozefestNerdja
He died. They say this in the beginning. Your second question is obvious, but it's not the entire story.
SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SilentlyMad
[QUOTE="SilentlyMad"]

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"]

Spoiler Warning.

Zero_epyon

No it's a compilation of scenes. The gameplay was omitted.

Ahh that is cool then. I do not mind 10 min or so long scenes at the start or end of games but in the middle I hate it. So glad to hear that is not the case.
Nerdja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nerdja

BigBoss154
MGS has the worse story ever told. Kojima throws way too many weird things out there with no explanations and then at the end you are suppose to get answers with long cutscenes. Horrible way for a video game to tell a story.
skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 skinny_man_69
[QUOTE="h575309"][QUOTE="Revan_911"] I've had this argument before. People doubted that i have played it and i posted proof. Am i not allowed to dislike a game all of a sudden? Not everyone liked it you know check user reviews.Revan_911

I am not trolling and i am adding to the discussion.... Is ME 2 the best most cinematic game ever? No it's overated. See that's called adding to the discussion.

Stating why it is over-rated is adding to the discussion. Making baseless claims is not. If I came into a murder trial and said "The defendant is lying" how is that contributing?
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="h575309"][QUOTE="Revan_911"] I've had this argument before. People doubted that i have played it and i posted proof. Am i not allowed to dislike a game all of a sudden? Not everyone liked it you know check user reviews.Revan_911

"Granted anyone would be interested in making a movie of a generic sci and stupid sci fi story." How does that add to the discussion? You aren't giving any constructive opinion just bashing.
Wassmansdorff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Wassmansdorff
Member since 2009 • 728 Posts
Uncharted 2 does it much better.
Nerdja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nerdja
[QUOTE="Nerdja"]Uncharted 2 has a boring story. What happened to Marco Polo? Does Drake love Elena or Chlow? - snoozefestZero_epyon
He died. They say this in the beginning. Your second question is obvious, but it's not the entire story.

It was about figuring out how he died and what he left behind. I'd rather watch the history channel to get a better explanation.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zero_epyon
[QUOTE="BigBoss154"]

Nerdja
MGS has the worse story ever told. Kojima throws way too many weird things out there with no explanations and then at the end you are suppose to get answers with long cutscenes. Horrible way for a video game to tell a story.

AAAAE MGS4 says hi.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zero_epyon
[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="Nerdja"]Uncharted 2 has a boring story. What happened to Marco Polo? Does Drake love Elena or Chlow? - snoozefestNerdja

It was about figuring out how he died and what he left behind. I'd rather watch the history channel to get a better explanation.

Ah, so you didn't play the game. Good day sir.
Luther_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Luther_10
Member since 2007 • 232 Posts

I have always wanted a epic movie experience in a game but done with game play not just CGI since I am playing a game after all. I have never seen a game trying to give that experience ever really pull it off though. Some games try to give that feeling like MGS4 or Heavy Rain but really you just are watching a movie. In ME2 you really can never put down your controller/keyboard because the few pure cutscenes there is are fairly short. The longest cutscene I guess is towards the end but you have two fights in the middle to even break that up. Even in the conversations you are still choosing what is said and most times how it is said.

SilentlyMad

yeah yeah yeah, Blah blah blah, keep telling yourself that u are just watching a movie in Heavy Rain. Its just 1 less copy being sold, so what.....

Nerdja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nerdja
[QUOTE="Nerdja"][QUOTE="BigBoss154"]

Zero_epyon

AAAAE MGS4 says hi.

Overrated says bye
Nerdja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nerdja
[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="Nerdja"][QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] He died. They say this in the beginning. Your second question is obvious, but it's not the entire story.

Ah, so you didn't play the game. Good day sir.

You didn't play the game because the story revolves around this plot. Good day to you.
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

Umm no its not. You give no reasons as to why you think its overrated. You just spam hate about the game when clearly you've already put your foot in your mouth about knowing anything about it. Why should we respect your opinion? Instead, you could actually state why you think its overrated, with actual knowledge of how the game plays. But, then again, you'd have to play it first.