Is it worth buying a 360?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wiiguy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wiiguy13
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts
I would like to Know if it is worth buying a 360 in a couple of weeks for my birthday or save up for a new xbox when the eigth gen consoles come out. Does anyone know when the eigth gen is going to start.
Impex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Impex
Member since 2005 • 5532 Posts
games are great... hardware not so much. odds are your 360 will crap out on you eventually. but you will get another free. depends on if that matters to you or not.
death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#3 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts

If anyone says 8th gen will start before 2010 I will slap them. :) XD

Anyways it's DEFINITELY worth buying one, it's such a great system. Make sure to get xbox live, Halo 3, and Gears of War. :)

StewieZim101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 StewieZim101
Member since 2007 • 1081 Posts
My inner fanboy says to tell you to forget the idea and buy a Ps3 instead, but my brain says: It's all up to you.
death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#5 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts

games are great... hardware not so much. odds are your 360 will crap out on you eventually. but you will get another free. depends on if that matters to you or not. Impex

Actually apparently there's only a 16% chance that it'll break, which isn't too high. :P

Theclub83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Theclub83
Member since 2007 • 185 Posts

if you have a decent pc = no

if you dont have a decent pc = yes

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10517 Posts

its a great console with great games but technically its now quite a way behind the top pc systems (and so the top games such as crysis will really struggle on it, judging by how recent 360 games such as mass effect and r6lv2 struggle technically) and that gulf in quality is only going to widen. i own a 360 and have loved it, but i bought it a year and a half ago when it was still able to compete technically. now im not sure how long it can keep up with the requirements of modern games

opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 opex07
Member since 2007 • 2236 Posts
Gamespot, IGN, GameRankings, Metacritic, Gametrailers and most if not all credible review sites show that the 360 has the highest amount of quality exclusive's and overall games out of the three consoles, so If your into playing games I would say its well worth it.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If you don't own a capable gaming PC then yes.
Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Prid3r
Member since 2004 • 8643 Posts

Theclub83

That statement kinda fail since 360 have 4 AAAE compared to PS3 that have 0 !

and PC don't get all the multiplat AAA that 360/PS3 get and let's not forget the high ammount of AAE the 360 have .

Impex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Impex
Member since 2005 • 5532 Posts

[QUOTE="Impex"]games are great... hardware not so much. odds are your 360 will crap out on you eventually. but you will get another free. depends on if that matters to you or not. death919

Actually apparently there's only a 16% chance that it'll break, which isn't too high. :P

Whatever. numbers have been thrown out there a lot but it doesn't mean they are true. two of my friends have crapped out, mine just crapped out, and I saw one just when I was on spring break in a chicago mall that was crapped out. It's a problem.

Pandemonium876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Pandemonium876
Member since 2007 • 336 Posts
No coming from someone who owns both PS3 and 360, do not buy a 360 absolutely not worth it. PS3 is way more bang for your buck. Oh and do not listen to saolin. he doesnt know what hes talking about. No doubt he'll be in here pretty soon. He'll blabber about fable 2 and how it looks so good because his fanboy glasses are glued to his head.
Exeed_Orbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Exeed_Orbit
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
[QUOTE="Theclub83"]

Prid3r

and PC don't get all the multiplat AAA that 360/PS3 get and let's not forget the high ammount of AAE the 360 have .

What the hell are you on about, the guy mentioned nothing about the PS3, and you take it as a direct attack on the 360. He just meant that most of the good 360 games, eventually move to the PC.
Digital-Night

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Digital-Night
Member since 2008 • 192 Posts
Don't save for a new system already dude
Exeed_Orbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Exeed_Orbit
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
No coming from someone who owns both PS3 and 360, do not buy a 360 absolutely not worth it. PS3 is way more bang for your buck. Oh and do not listen to saolin. he doesnt know what hes talking about. No doubt he'll be in here pretty soon. He'll blabber about fable 2 and how it looks so good because his fanboy glasses are glued to his head.Pandemonium876
I'd say right now, with the game library that the 360 has, it's worth more, hardware wise, not so much. The ps3 is nice and all, but the games just aren't here yet.
Pandemonium876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pandemonium876
[QUOTE="Theclub83"]

Prid3r

If you go by GS that PS3 has no AAA which is a total joke. All the PS3 exclusives deserve AAA(and no not lair but atleast a 6.5-7) IMO.

Pandemonium876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pandemonium876

[QUOTE="Pandemonium876"]No coming from someone who owns both PS3 and 360, do not buy a 360 absolutely not worth it. PS3 is way more bang for your buck. Oh and do not listen to saolin. he doesnt know what hes talking about. No doubt he'll be in here pretty soon. He'll blabber about fable 2 and how it looks so good because his fanboy glasses are glued to his head.Exeed_Orbit
I'd say right now, with the game library that the 360 has, it's worth more, hardware wise, not so much. The ps3 is nice and all, but the games just aren't here yet.

KEY word: Yet. couple more months and we'll be drowning in them.

opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 opex07
[QUOTE="Prid3r"][QUOTE="Theclub83"]

Pandemonium876

If you go by GS that PS3 has no AAA which is a total joke. All the PS3 exclusives deserve AAA(and no not lair but atleast a 6.5-7) IMO.

Its not only at gamespot, the PS3 has no AAA exclusive games at GameRankings, and Metacritic(both sites that average out most review sites) without rounding scores.

RonnieLottinSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RonnieLottinSF
Member since 2007 • 1474 Posts
Next gen won't start until most likely late 2010 which is a good 3 years from now so I'd get one, although I'd wait until April or maybe even the fall. It will most likely have a price drop or 2 by then and you will save money. Of course once you get one, that is when the spending will truly begin because of all the great games for the system.
BobHipJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BobHipJames
Member since 2007 • 3126 Posts

Pandemonium876

All of them? *rolls eyes*

Snowboarder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Snowboarder99
Member since 2006 • 5460 Posts

Pandemonium876

Uh, no they don't all deserve AAA

isthisnametakn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 isthisnametakn
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts

I would like to Know if it is worth buying a 360 in a couple of weeks for my birthday or save up for a new xbox when the eigth gen consoles come out. Does anyone know when the eigth gen is going to start.wiiguy13

It is very much worth the $300. That's assuming if you're an avid gamer. The XBL is great. Some complain about the price, but think of it this way: It's set up so that if you happen to have an extra $7 laying around the house (and most DO) you can run down to Target and get a card that lets you play all you want for an entire month. Basically, they make it easy for anyone to enjoy XBL to some degree.

Other good stuff:

- Great Graphics

- Awsome games

- XBL headset come right out of the box. You can also get a picture cam if that's your kind of thing

- To complement the above, the parental control option are extensive. For the little tikes I suggest you USE THEM!

- Doubles as a DVD and CD player; you can also save music onto the HDD

- Probably the largest library of games and definitely the largest library of acclaimed exclusives

- Comfortable controller with specialties to enhance simulations (superbly realastic, albeit EXPENSIVE, racing wheel)

- Even Silver accounts come with one free month of Gold. afterwards you can still use it to keep in touch with friends and download content from the Marketplace

- Addictive achievements system (merely bragging rights but, hey, it's video gaming!)

It also has the best selection from several genres: Shooters and Racing games

Minor Cons:

- Hardware can be flaky. It is improving but there are still cases of overheating, freezing, RROD, etc. However, it has a good warranty plan and MS replaces them for free. If it breaks after the warranty ends, they'll give you discounts after multiple problems (they even gave me a one month card of LIVE Gold).

- The Child games library isn't as extensive as the Wii. XBL is (in all honesty) no place for children.

- It is expensive. While it's the median for the big three $279 is still a lot of money for some

If after reading the above, you still think the 360 sounds good then you and MS got what eachother want; it'd say go for it.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts

[QUOTE="Impex"]games are great... hardware not so much. odds are your 360 will crap out on you eventually. but you will get another free. depends on if that matters to you or not. death919

That survey was only over a year and didn't specify the use the systems got. Prettymuch completely meaningless statistic. In reality 360's hardware is fundamentally flawed and there's probably a %90 chance any system will die within 5 years of constant use.

Snowboarder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Snowboarder99
[QUOTE="death919"]

[QUOTE="Impex"]games are great... hardware not so much. odds are your 360 will crap out on you eventually. but you will get another free. depends on if that matters to you or not. Lazy_Boy88

That survey was only over a year and didn't specify the use the systems got. Prettymuch completely meaningless statistic. In reality 360's hardware is fundamentally flawed and there's probably a %90 chance any system will die within 5 years of constant use.

And what survey showed that?

opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 opex07
[QUOTE="death919"]

[QUOTE="Impex"]games are great... hardware not so much. odds are your 360 will crap out on you eventually. but you will get another free. depends on if that matters to you or not. Lazy_Boy88

Yeah because your guess is more accurate than a statistic done for over a year with the use of over 1000 consoles.:roll:

isthisnametakn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 isthisnametakn
[QUOTE="death919"]

Please don't pull numbers out of your arse. And I know that's what you did because it hasn't been out for 5 years so there could be no study done on that. Also there's never been any study concluding a failure rate that ungodly high over any period of time.

At one time it was over 16%. I think I've heard it as high as 30-something. I'm not sure but I think it peaked in either the summer of 06 or 07. There was an article about MS having to sink so many millions of dollars for repairs and replacements in a particular month, it but I can't remember how long ago that was. I've also heard that they've improved on the hardware internally, but I don't know how, when, or if this was done.

glcm1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 glcm1961
Member since 2005 • 89 Posts

Do some research first.

Does it have built in WiFi? No

Is the online service free? No

Does it have an upgradeable hard drive? No

Is it a quiet machine? No

Is it reliable? No

Can it play Blu ray? No

If none of these things bother you, then I'd say go for it. It has a library of great games (most of which are also on the PC) and you will be in the company of some very loyal customers who swear by their 360's.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
[QUOTE="Lazy_Boy88"][QUOTE="death919"]

[QUOTE="Impex"]games are great... hardware not so much. odds are your 360 will crap out on you eventually. but you will get another free. depends on if that matters to you or not. isthisnametakn

Please don't pull numbers out of your arse. And I know that's what you did because it hasn't been out for 5 years so there could be no study done on that. Also there's never been any study concluding a failure rate that ungodly high over any period of time.

At one time it was over 16%. I think I've heard it as high as 30-something. I'm not sure but I think it peaked in either the summer of 06 or 07. There was an article about MS having to sink so many millions of dollars for repairs and replacements in a particular month, it but I can't remember how long ago that was. I've also heard that they've improved on the hardware internally, but I don't know how, when, or if this was done.

Yeah the %16 is also pulled out of an arse. Better numbers are surveys Xbox fanboy sites have taken citing like %56 of people having at least 1 failed system (with over 5000 replys) .

My long term number is obviously just made up but it is reasonable because the problem is overheating which causes degradation over time in any hardware. Graphics cards and RAM in PCs that run hot slowly fail over a few years and the 360 runs at 100C range temps that would scare the crap out of any custom PC builder.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

Pandemonium876

all of them except lair? :?

Snowboarder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Snowboarder99

Yeah the %16 is also pulled out of an arse. Better numbers are surveys Xbox fanboy sites have taken citing like %56 of people having at least 1 failed system (with over 5000 replys) .

My long term number is obviously just made up but it is reasonable because the problem is overheating which causes degradation over time in any hardware. Graphics cards and RAM in PCs that run hot slowly fail over a few years and the 360 runs at 100C range temps that would scare the crap out of any custom PC builder.

Lazy_Boy88

Sorry, I'll take a survey over your word anyday because you are basing this off...well nothing

SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SeanBond
Member since 2003 • 2136 Posts

Do some research first.

Does it have built in WiFi? No

Is the online service free? No

Does it have an upgradeable hard drive? No

Is it a quiet machine? No

Is it reliable? No

Can it play Blu ray? No

If none of these things bother you, then I'd say go for it. It has a library of great games (most of which are also on the PC) and you will be in the company of some very loyal customers who swear by their 360's.

glcm1961

While those are all decent points, in the defense of the 360, a lot of them are meaningless. If you're buying a console for the blu-ray player, only the PS3 is worth buying, obviously. But if you're buying a gaming console simply for gaming, that's irrelevant. The hard-drive is upgradeable, but only with the 120 gig HDD that MS sells. However, again, if you're only using it for gaming, 120 gigs is just ridiculous overkill; I was considering getting one of the newer Elites to replace my old 360 Pro, and then I realized that I simply have no need of such space, and don't see myself ever needing it. The 20 gig HDD is more than you'll need for simply saving games, with the occasional map pack thrown in. And is it quiet? Well, I suppose it's not the quietest machine in the universe (the PS3 is definitely quieter), but the newer 360s actually are pretty quiet; in fact, my Wii makes more noise (loading) than my 360 does.

Bottom line: Is the 360 the best deal for your money? No. But it's got a lot going for it, and even its flaws aren't as bad as you think.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#33 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

nintendos handheld gen is gonna start soon ,, its been since 2004 that ds has been out gba went 3 yrs before ds came in

so ya that is about the time youll see the hand held wars of 8th gen start as for consoles depends on if nintendo wants to risk it, why not it may work out after all , the others are going 10 years and ps3s only a yr and a half old, so if nintendo really pulled their cards right theyll release a system in 4 more years ,, probably forcing sony and ms to jump in abandoning their plans all together that is a very smart move

sony and ms isnt ready for nintendo to start their next console, so when they least expect it , theyll do it i say 2011 the earliest wii 2 , the latest 2012 -2013 wii 2 ,, im betting nintendo will be the only one whos able to upgrade to the 8th gen while ms and sony are stuck with 7th gen hard ware , nintendo can have wii2 be compaitble with all wii 1 stuff sensorbars etc , controllers for wii bc , and keep wii development on the market for small devs,

while they can also work on wii 2 , just like sony did with ps1 and ps2 ,

smart aint it release a underpowerd console to get a bigger broader audience then the next console bring that audience into the graphical race, im sure thats whatll happen , they got them gaming why not , take all the success of wii and bring graphical abilities that rival xbox360 and ps3 , whoms stuck with a 10 yr plan by then nintendo would be on their next console lol , thatll be n7 to be rivaling ps4 and whatever the next xbox is called,. that is gonna be good to see what actually wi ll happen , remember the average cycle is 5 yrs , but sony may be slow enough to not release a console in the 10 yrs as promised same for microsoft ,, who kno ws

spyder465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 spyder465
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts

In my opinion if you have a decent pc then why waste your money on a 360.

But, if you dont have such a great pc then go ahead and buy. Since a lot of games that are for the 360 are on the pc also why would you waste money on one.

Avatar image for nny_the_maniac3
nny_the_maniac3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nny_the_maniac3
Member since 2003 • 118 Posts

well it all depends on your taste in games, CURRENTLY i believe that the 360 has fair advantage in great games, such as gears of war, bioshock, halo 3 and mass effect. In the comming year the gap between great ps3 and xbox 360 games will begin to close with very promising games on both sides such as metal gear solid 4, little big planet and resistance 2 and ffXIII. however the 360 also has some great games in the near future, gears 2, ninja gaiden, and fable 2 for example. although the 360 currently has a, imo a far supurior online set up, that could change as well. in the end it really comes down to personal preferance. Hope this helps.

loudharley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 loudharley
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
Depends on if u want one or not.Its worth it if u like the games on the system.Its not worth it if they dont have anything your interested in.personally i really enjoy my 360 and as far as hardware failures go it has really slowed down.I never really understand these threads when i see them because a fanbase from each system will come in and say buy it,or buy this.Go out and play a friends,maybe rent a 360 if u can find a video store that rents the system.Truth is they all have there ups and downs and it all depends on u if U think its worth it or not.Also if u do decide to get a 360 i highly recommend u get xboxlive,it really helps stretch a games life out .
saolin323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 saolin323
Member since 2007 • 3121 Posts

I would like to Know if it is worth buying a 360 in a couple of weeks for my birthday or save up for a new xbox when the eigth gen consoles come out. Does anyone know when the eigth gen is going to start.wiiguy13

Get the 360, it is100% worth it, has some STUNNING games out and even better coming, nearly all best PC games on top, and there will not be a new xbox until late 2010 or later, that is in 3+ years !!! So, you do not want to wait that long, and miss a host of games

isthisnametakn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 isthisnametakn
[QUOTE="isthisnametakn"][QUOTE="Lazy_Boy88"][QUOTE="death919"]

You site 16% percent as if it's something I said. I even said that it has been substantially higher but even still, that's irrelevent because (and I'm taking his word) he implied that it was from a survey. Survey's aren't numbers pulled from one's arse; they're educated guess coming from research be it controversial or not. If you wanted to site a survey or poll that has shown it as high as 90% then by all means do so (makes no difference to me). But don't take wild stabs like that.

isthisnametakn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 isthisnametakn

In my opinion if you have a decent pc then why waste your money on a 360.

But, if you dont have such a great pc then go ahead and buy. Since a lot of games that are for the 360 are on the pc also why would you waste money on one.

spyder465

Because one might prefer the feel of a console. It's more layed back (if you want it to be)

Taalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Taalon
Member since 2006 • 3424 Posts

[QUOTE="wiiguy13"]I would like to Know if it is worth buying a 360 in a couple of weeks for my birthday or save up for a new xbox when the eigth gen consoles come out. Does anyone know when the eigth gen is going to start.saolin323

Get the 360, it is100% worth it, has some STUNNING games out and even better coming, nearly all best PC games on top, and there will not be a new xbox until late 2010 or later, that is in 3+ years !!! So, you do not want to wait that long, and miss a host of games

It's best because you can play worse versions of PC games? Right Saolin :lol: :lol: :lol:
saolin323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 saolin323
Member since 2007 • 3121 Posts
[QUOTE="saolin323"]

[QUOTE="wiiguy13"]I would like to Know if it is worth buying a 360 in a couple of weeks for my birthday or save up for a new xbox when the eigth gen consoles come out. Does anyone know when the eigth gen is going to start.Taalon

It's best because you can play worse versions of PC games? Right Saolin :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan Wake, the best looking coming PC game, is confirmed to look like best PC version, by the devleopers !!!!

So much for getting "downgraded" (in your dreams that is) versions from PC !!!! hahahaha

As for PS3, well, it is better to HAVE those PC games on your 360, than never see them in your life by buying a PS3, right ?

Taalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Taalon
Member since 2006 • 3424 Posts
[QUOTE="Taalon"][QUOTE="saolin323"]

[QUOTE="wiiguy13"]I would like to Know if it is worth buying a 360 in a couple of weeks for my birthday or save up for a new xbox when the eigth gen consoles come out. Does anyone know when the eigth gen is going to start.saolin323

Alan Wake, the best looking coming PC game, is confirmed to look like best PC version, by the devleopers !!!!

So much for getting "downgraded" (in your dreams that is) versions from PC !!!! hahahaha

As for PS3, well, it is better to HAVE those PC games on your 360, than never see them in your life by buying a PS3, right ?

Just because the developers said it doesn't mean it's in there - Fable 1 says hi!

And you've just said that no PS3 owner owns a PC. :roll:
chat2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 chat2
Member since 2005 • 399 Posts

what exclusive game on 360 is worth buying to you? coz most 360 exclusive is time exclusive so why not upgrade your PC instead buying a 360

karram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 karram
Member since 2006 • 1682 Posts
Absolutely,360 worth buying just don't listen to fanboys.
Fondness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fondness
Member since 2008 • 902 Posts

Well, do the video games on Xbox 360 captivate you? There are many enjoyable video games on this console.

sambalimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sambalimbo
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

if you intend to play the games that are already released it's kinda worth it, if you are looking for a console for future hitters buy a ps3

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

360 if you want a plethora of games.

PS3 if you want to watch HD movies.