Is Half Life 2 overrated?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-tehbiggaboss-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -tehbiggaboss-
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

So, I just bought the Orange Box and have been trying to play Half Life 2 and its seriously boring me... I have done the first 3 chapters and the last 2 were pretty damn boring. The gunplay is bland, there hasnt been anything overly cool or anything about the game yet. If I dont like it yet, will I like it later?

And I am the type of gamer who can play older gen games so its not that. Hell, Half Life 2 looks like it could even be from this gen, the graphics are pretty nice.

Logan832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Logan832
Member since 2006 • 2168 Posts
Id say so. It's a good game, but not as good as hermits make it out to be.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

did you play it on 360?

if so play it on pc its worlds better

albi321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 albi321
Member since 2007 • 1552 Posts
I would somewhat agree, it was good back in '04 but now it is really boring.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts
Nop
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
Your in the minority, that's all I'll say....
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
I thought so. there was only one gun I really liked in the game, and you never had enough ammo for it (take a guess). oh, and I didn't like the setting, too bleak. needed more sunlight.
WileyCoyote315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WileyCoyote315
Member since 2008 • 320 Posts
No way, half life 2 is one of the best shooters to date. Gravity gun is pure ownage. The story is epic, way deeper and broader than Halo.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
It's a bit crap. What happened to the AI?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
Just a bit. I prefered the first.
Avatar image for soiheardyoulike
soiheardyoulike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 soiheardyoulike
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts
Nope, i thought it was really fun and the mods are simply awesome.
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
I agree, I stopped playing after the long ass air boat missions. Bleh, after I got the shotgun I just couldn't be bothered with it.
xXMcClaneXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xXMcClaneXx
Member since 2008 • 1110 Posts

not to me....i love the atmosphere of the game....and the gameplay is outrageously good

playing episode 2 was an absolute experience....some of the most cinematic and intense moments out of any game i've ever played

Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts

did you play it on 360?

VendettaRed07

I played the Episode Two demo on the 360 and the controls made a big difference. The PC version is much better because of this--not only in aiming, but also in character movement. It sounds like it'd be not that big a deal in a single-player game, but it actually makes a significant difference.

angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 angry_fork
Member since 2008 • 2184 Posts

So, I just bought the Orange Box and have been trying to play Half Life 2 and its seriously boring me... I have done the first 3 chapters and the last 2 were pretty damn boring. The gunplay is bland, there hasnt been anything overly cool or anything about the game yet. If I dont like it yet, will I like it later?

-tehbiggaboss-

Here's the problem:

You're playing a game that came out in 2004.

However that in itself is a testament to how great Half Life 2 is. You said you can play old-school games and stuff, i'm the same way, but i can't play old-school FPS because of tired mechanics.

Half Life 2 is my favorite FPS of all time, but thats because I played it when it came out in 04', right now the mechanics are very tired though, so that's most likely why you're not enjoying it.

Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

Did you play Half Life 1? My guess is you aren't playing the game correctly. Similar to how people complained about Bioshock or any other heavily story driven FPS. You can't play a game like Half Life 2 like Doom where you just race from point A to point B shooting everything that moves. Its a more cerebral experience than that. If you aren't paying attention to the story and following whats going on, you are missing out on a lot of what makes it great.

And if get through Half Life 2, and the two episodes (particularly Episode 2) and didn't enjoy it, then you should probably stop gaming. Seriously.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

its very over rated i couldnt finish it

it was so boring

TPOJ-TPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TPOJ-TPO
Member since 2008 • 198 Posts
Back in '04 it was great, but it now it's not so great. Even on PC it bores me. The Episodes aren't what I want either. I want them to focus on Half-Life 3.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Its amazing on the PC.. There are better singleplayer campaigns then HL2, but add in its multiplayer and mod community.. Its bar none one of hte bes tgames ever made.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts
No, it's a fantastic game.
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts

did you play it on 360?

VendettaRed07

I hate it when hermits say this. Yes, the 360 controller is so horrible compared to keyboard and mouse that even a great game like Half Like 2 will suck on 360 because of the controls. :roll:

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

did you play it on 360?

AvIdGaMeR444

I hate it when hermits say this. Yes, the 360 controller is so horrible compared to keyboard and mouse that even a great game like Half Like 2 will suck on 360 because of the controls. :roll:

Lol too true. Only games that need pixel perfect accuracy like RTS games are ruined by pads.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

did you play it on 360?

AvIdGaMeR444

Half-Life 2 = not only the singleplayer but the numerous multiplayer mods such as Counter Strike Source, Day of Defeat Source and Team Fortress 2..

Fumpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fumpa
Member since 2003 • 3307 Posts

And I am the type of gamer who can play older gen games so its not that. Hell, Half Life 2 looks like it could even be from this gen, the graphics are pretty nice.

-tehbiggaboss-

It seems like some people, maybe most, think that Half Life 2 is the most amazing game. Then there are other people that feel the way you do. You've only played a few chapters, and maybe if you have it in yourself to finish the game, you may end up liking the game.

I played the game from beginning to end, and for me the game was boring from beginning to end. I kept hoping that I'd somehow get drawn in but it didn't happen. I actually got it for my XBox and didn't get too far into it before giving up on it. Later, I purchased the Orange Box for the PC and that's when I played through it all the way. I like PC more for FPSs which I think explains why I got through the game. But after finishing it I uninstalled all other versions of the game from my PC (Steam) that are included with the Orange Box. Very boring game in my opinion.

Team Fortress 2 kicks butt through and so does Steam.

Steam recently released a bunch of free games on Steam, and all but one kicked butt.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts
[QUOTE="-tehbiggaboss-"]

angry_fork

Here's the problem:

You're playing a game that came out in 2004.

However that in itself is a testament to how great Half Life 2 is.

The only thing is that isn't even really a problem. I only played Half Life 2 fairly recently actually (Although it may not sound that way), infact I played it on Xbox 360 and thought it was absolutely marvelous. Even 3-4 years later, it's still the best FPS I have played, and I have played alot, including the original Half Life.

However on the matter of which version is superior I will say this. The controls don't make much a diffrence, so I don't really see how the PC is so superior. Just because I can use a so called, "superior", version of the controls dosn't mean I should enjoy the game any more. Unless you want to throw that mod crap at me, yeah mods can be great, but it's very rare and for the most part they act as a useless add on. I suppose Half Life is an exception seeing as counter strike was essentially a mod, but even at that it's one in a million.

But no Half Life 2 is not overrated. An excellent game, with an engaging storyline, brilliant pacing, some of the most unique First Person gameplay to date and everything else that is required to make an FPS great.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

did you play it on 360?

Einhanderkiller

I played the Episode Two demo on the 360 and the controls made a big difference. The PC version is much better because of this--not only in aiming, but also in character movement. It sounds like it'd be not that big a deal in a single-player game, but it actually makes a significant difference.

Yeah I actually tried playing Ep. 2 with my 360 gamepad on the PC. Not a really a pleasant experience.
hip-hop-cola2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hip-hop-cola2
Member since 2007 • 2454 Posts

The begining of half-life 2 almost kills the game, you do your cool escape from the roof tops, then your dumped in the sewer with the HORRID air boat mission....

solider through! the game picks up so much is amazing, once your far past the air boat the game kicks in and your sucked in, it is a game from 04, but the story was so god dam cool and engaging i didn't care

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29 fixer293
Member since 2003 • 4770 Posts
No its not overrated.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
I enjoyed it. I don't think it was one of the best shooters ever, but it was a good game in its own right.
ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts
their excellent games , i do however agree they are a tad bit overated .
Panther501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Panther501
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
HL2 is not overrated. The only problem I had was that there wasn't a wide enough gun selection. But shooting guys with a crossbow and sticking them to a wall never gets old. Plus, how often can you chuck a watermelon at an enemy and kill him. For the time it was released, HL2 was the next step in shooters (ragdoll, physics, episodic, enviromental interactions, character design and manipulation, etc.). No its not overrated.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

Did you play Half Life 1? My guess is you aren't playing the game correctly. Similar to how people complained about Bioshock or any other heavily story driven FPS. You can't play a game like Half Life 2 like Doom where you just race from point A to point B shooting everything that moves. Its a more cerebral experience than that. If you aren't paying attention to the story and following whats going on, you are missing out on a lot of what makes it great.

And if get through Half Life 2, and the two episodes (particularly Episode 2) and didn't enjoy it, then you should probably stop gaming. Seriously.

Cloud_Insurance

Whoa... I whole heartedly disagree with you about Bioshock. They couldn't think of a decent reason to host an underwater game, so they made a shallow shooter... Okay, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't superb either.

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cloud_Insurance

The begining of half-life 2 almost kills the game, you do your cool escape from the roof tops, then your dumped in the sewer with the HORRID air boat mission....

solider through! the game picks up so much is amazing, once your far past the air boat the game kicks in and your sucked in, it is a game from 04, but the story was so god dam cool and engaging i didn't care

hip-hop-cola2

I liked the airboat...

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cloud_Insurance
[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]

Leejjohno

Whoa... I whole heartedly disagree with you about Bioshock. They couldn't think of a decent reason to host an underwater game, so they made a shallow shooter... Okay, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't superb either.

disagree with what about Bioshock?

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts
[QUOTE="Leejjohno"][QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]

Cloud_Insurance

disagree with what about Bioshock?

People complained about it because aside from visually, the game wasn't all that good. It was just condemned on acid.
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts
I think it's overrated... But it's still very good. One of the better FPS's I've played in the last few years, but not the second coming a certain type of fanboy makes it out to be. At least not gameplay wise... In a technical sense, it really was all that.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#38 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

It's a game you must play, but really couldn't play more than once. The original deserves all the attention

The story is epic, way deeper and broader than Halo. WileyCoyote315

Lmao, no, care to explain?

Hitman533

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hitman533
Member since 2008 • 642 Posts
You guys have to understand that Half life 2 was released 2004, of course its going to feel like crap and boring playing in by 2008 standards.
M337ING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 M337ING
Member since 2008 • 299 Posts

It's a game you must play, but really couldn't play more than once. The original deserves all the attention

[QUOTE="WileyCoyote315"]The story is epic, way deeper and broader than Halo. FrozenLiquid

Uggh, Coyote, you've ticked off the Halo worshippers... Here we go... :roll:

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
I used to think in such way about Half Life 2 too. Not anymore, though. The crown of the most overrated game of all time stays with Resident Evil 4, and I re-valuated my opinion about HL 2 greatly.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

You guys have to understand that Half life 2 was released 2004, of course its going to feel like crap and boring playing in by 2008 standards.Hitman533

none of those games really had a good story especially Halo.

I think hl2 had a bad story untill the episodes were released that kinda solves a few things really.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="WileyCoyote315"]The story is epic, way deeper and broader than Halo. M337ING

No, I'm just intrigued as to why everyone thinks Half Life 2 has a good story.

It has good story telling, sure, it just has very little story.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#44 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
No way, half life 2 is one of the best shooters to date. Gravity gun is pure ownage. The story is epic, way deeper and broader than Halo.WileyCoyote315
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review Uh oh, read the first sentance under "The Bad."
longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts
[QUOTE="M337ING"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="WileyCoyote315"]The story is epic, way deeper and broader than Halo. FrozenLiquid

No, I'm just intrigued as to why everyone thinks Half Life 2 has a good story.

It has good story telling, sure, it just has very little story.

If you look into all of the details in the universe and read the newspaper headlines etc... it's story is actually quite good IMO.

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts

Its one of the best FPS of all time.

IMO of course. Everything about it the story the atmosphere and the gunplay.

mayforcebeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mayforcebeyou
Member since 2007 • 2703 Posts

it's very overrated

its gameplay is not that good

the story is the only thing that's good

t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

Its not overrated, you just don't like it.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

did you play it on 360?

VendettaRed07

It's really not that big of a difference. I've played both.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
Well, it's definently the most overrated game I've ever played.