Is God of War worth 60 bucks?

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

This "buck for hour" mentality is what is killing good SP campaigns... then people will complaint that AAA games these days are "games as services" or MP only, or big open worlds with filler content... *sigh

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#52 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69716 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

You would have a point if consolites only started criticizing STar Citizen now but they have been doing for years. They even neglected GoW's dev time or TLG for that matter. But none of that even compares when you consider the scale of Star Citizen and SQ42 - two games with one MMO.

None of the MMO's were developed in 5 years. Some MMO's like Elder Scrolls and even WoW took easily 8 - 10 years to make.

As for Pedro when is Crackdown 3 coming out and will it be still incomplete like SoT?

LOL. Why you asking about Crackdown 3? I don't even talk about the game. As for Sea of Thieves, well it official was released even though its barren. Still not sure why I am spokes person for these games. Don't get pissy because I pointed out that Epak got you with the fact that GoW is out while SC isn't despite having a budget that surpasses most AAA games.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8485 Posts

@Pedro said:
@pc_rocks said:

You would have a point if consolites only started criticizing STar Citizen now but they have been doing for years. They even neglected GoW's dev time or TLG for that matter. But none of that even compares when you consider the scale of Star Citizen and SQ42 - two games with one MMO.

None of the MMO's were developed in 5 years. Some MMO's like Elder Scrolls and even WoW took easily 8 - 10 years to make.

As for Pedro when is Crackdown 3 coming out and will it be still incomplete like SoT?

LOL. Why you asking about Crackdown 3? I don't even talk about the game. As for Sea of Thieves, well it official was released even though its barren. Still not sure why I am spokes person for these games. Don't get pissy because I pointed out that Epak got you with the fact that GoW is out while SC isn't despite having a budget that surpasses most AAA games.

Because you do defend the titles or at least MS. Funny you gave them a pass even though they are backed by one of the richest companies in the world compared to an indie studio that has to build literally everything from scratch and didn't even have any offices when they begin work.

And sorry, Epak didn't got me or anywhere close to it, it was a desperate attempt after being shown the hypocrisy of consolites. They gave linear template games a free pass but rags on Star Citizen - a game with massive scope and features even for MMO's.

Lastly, Star Citizen don't have the budget than most AAA games, it has the second highest budget of any game ever right behind SW:TOR. Having said that SW:TOW also took close to 10 years to release. It was first announced in 2008 while being in development way way longer than that.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Pedro
@pc_rocks said:
@Pedro said:
@pc_rocks said:

Because you do defend the titles or at least MS. Funny you gave them a pass even though they are backed by one of the richest companies in the world compared to an indie studio that has to build literally everything from scratch and didn't even have any offices when they begin work.

And sorry, Epak didn't got me or anywhere close to it, it was a desperate attempt after being shown the hypocrisy of consolites. They gave linear template games a free pass but rags on Star Citizen - a game with massive scope and features even for MMO's.

Lastly, Star Citizen don't have the budget than most AAA games, it has the second highest budget of any game ever right behind SW:TOR. Having said that SW:TOW also took close to 10 years to release. It was first announced in 2008 while being in development way way longer than that.

What title have I defend from MS?

This would be very interesting.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I think Medieval Engineers is better and cheaper

http://www.medievalengineers.com/

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@Pedro said:

SC has been criticized for its development time for years now, probably as a counter measure to defend games like TLG and such and because it is the only big PC game coming out. Not to forget all the signs pointing to a scam. They're making money out of it yes? You can already purchase in-game content with real money and the game isn't even officially out yet.

Personally I wouldn't be spending a dime on a project like that, just wait till it's out, but some people refuse to wait.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

*Chooses expensive hobby*

*Complains about expensive hobby*

*Complains when games are too short*

*Complains of a backlog of too many games to play*

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The game is absolutely worth $60, and multiplayer would add nothing to it. We need to support single player games because gold like this doesn't come often.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

The game is absolutely worth $60, and multiplayer would add nothing to it. We need to support single player games because gold like this doesn't come often.

I'm thrilled to be done with a game. I'm a little miffed that the new GOW is so long. 12 hours would have been fine IMHO.

Remove one of the 12 fights against the Troll. It wouldn't have hurt the game any.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 PC_Rocks

@Pedro said:
@pc_rocks said:
@Pedro said:
@pc_rocks said:

What title have I defend from MS?

This would be very interesting.

So you never defended MS ever or their lack of good games? Having said that you definitely are not interested in the actual conversation but to score browny points hence the avoidance of actual point.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By PC_Rocks

@Epak_ said:
@pc_rocks said:
@Pedro said:

SC has been criticized for its development time for years now, probably as a counter measure to defend games like TLG and such and because it is the only big PC game coming out. Not to forget all the signs pointing to a scam. They're making money out of it yes? You can already purchase in-game content with real money and the game isn't even officially out yet.

Personally I wouldn't be spending a dime on a project like that, just wait till it's out, but some people refuse to wait.

I can accept what you're saying about not wanting to invest in a game until it's ready, totally fine with me. I did the same as it's in a genre that doesn't interest me much but I can appreciate when a game is ambitious and trying to do something new.

Going back to our other point I don't understand how it's being attacked for longer dev cycle when less ambitious games are given a free pass, that's why I listed both GoW and TLG. ANother thing how is it a scam because you can see development progress right from the beginning. If 'by scam' they are talking about development time I don't see how the same people is praising GoW for that then or weren't you also made excuse that GoW was okay since they don't just reveal the game only 2 years back but had in development for much longer? So which is it are they a scam for showing the game as is? For me scam is something where you can't see what's happening ala No Mans Sky. The only reason it gets attacked is because it's a PC exclusive, consolites will move goal posts to attack it.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Epak_

@pc_rocks said:

I can accept what you're saying about not wanting to invest in a game until it's ready, totally fine with me. I did the same as it's in a genre that doesn't interest me much but I can appreciate when a game is ambitious and trying to do something new.

Going back to our other point I don't understand how it's being attacked for longer dev cycle when less ambitious games are given a free pass, that's why I listed both GoW and TLG. ANother thing how is it a scam because you can see development progress right from the beginning. If 'by scam' they are talking about development time I don't see how the same people is praising GoW for that then or weren't you also made excuse that GoW was okay since they don't just reveal the game only 2 years back but had in development for much longer? So which is it are they a scam for showing the game as is? For me scam is something where you can't see what's happening ala No Mans Sky. The only reason it gets attacked is because it's a PC exclusive, consolites will move goal posts to attack it.

Should have said alarming signs: delays after delays after delays (original release date back in 2014), 5 years in pre-alpha/alpha (wtf?), backers wanting a refund (big money). Doesn't look good to me. In fact, I'm gonna call it a scam until it gets released.

For me personally the wait for the new GoW wasn't a big deal, besides I got hyped up after the 2016 reveal, not 3 years before that. I've been busy with other games (Sony, Nintendo exclusives and 3rd party games). For some of the backers, it seems, the wait has been way too long though.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Pedro
@pc_rocks said:

So you never defended MS ever or their lack of good games? Having said that you definitely are not interested in the actual conversation but to score browny points hence the avoidance of actual point.

You brought me into your mess because you were deeply offended by my support of Epak.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64  Edited By Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

@jeezers: definitely worth it. I don't have as much time to game as I did when I was younger due to work and many other things. I've been playing Ni No Kuni 2 since it's release and I still haven't beat it. There are also hella side quests I still haven't done. I also really like exploring so a 35 hour game is more like 50 for me

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By PC_Rocks

@Epak_ said:
@pc_rocks said:

Should have said alarming signs: delays after delays after delays (original release date back in 2014), 5 years in pre-alpha/alpha (wtf?), backers wanting a refund (big money). Doesn't look good to me. In fact, I'm gonna call it a scam until it gets released.

For me personally the wait for the new GoW wasn't a big deal, besides I got hyped up after the 2016 reveal, not 3 years before that. I've been busy with other games (Sony, Nintendo exclusives and 3rd party games). For some of the backers, it seems, the wait has been way too long though.

Wait when did they say they were releasing Star Citizen in 2014 or even in 2017? The tentative date was for SQ42 and even that wasn't for 2014 but 2015. Secondly if I'm right the 2015 date was before the scope of the game was changed significantly when SC became as big as it is.

Did you miss the development times of the games I listed especially MMOs that took in excess or around 10 years of development even though they were by established companies backed by massive publishers? How do you expect SC to pull something like that in less than half the time? WHat exacerbates all that is when like GoW and TO 1886 took 5+ years to make.

You didn't hype GoW may be but I have seen people hyping and talking about GoW since 2013 on pretty much everywhere: Twitter, Youtube etc. Anyway, the hypocrisy becomes evident when people are praising and defending a game like GoW for being in development for 5+ years but criticize a game like SC for doing the same.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PC_Rocks

@Pedro said:
@pc_rocks said:

You brought me into your mess because you were deeply offended by my support of Epak.

No you jumped in because you think you had a point, you and Epak DID NOT. Refuting something with facts and in the context doesn't mean being offended.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3077 Posts

@jtothamtothap said:

More epic moments in GoW3 and faster combat....kind of underwhelmed with the enemies and weapon, the fists are better than the axe lol idk....we'll see when I finish it.

I feel exactly the same. Not a bad, very pretty, just not what I wanted.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Epak_

@pc_rocks said:
@Epak_ said:
@pc_rocks said:

Wait when did they say they were releasing Star Citizen in 2014 or even in 2017? The tentative date was for SQ42 and even that wasn't for 2014 but 2015. Secondly if I'm right the 2015 date was before the scope of the game was changed significantly when SC became as big as it is.

Did you miss the development times of the games I listed especially MMOs that took in excess or around 10 years of development even though they were by established companies backed by massive publishers? How do you expect SC to pull something like that in less than half the time? WHat exacerbates all that is when like GoW and TO 1886 took 5+ years to make.

You didn't hype GoW may be but I have seen people hyping and talking about GoW since 2013 on pretty much everywhere: Twitter, Youtube etc.

Multiple sites have reported the original 2014 release date. https://kotaku.com/why-star-citizen-is-taking-so-long-1724835913

"In the original announcement, Roberts and his team said they’d complete Star Citizen by November of 2014, a date they seemed to still be targeting even after that $19 million landmark."

Obviously something changed, if it's the scope, fine, I'm gonna be skeptical until it gets released.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

Was just going to wait until all of these PS4 exclusives release and pick up a PS4 pro for crazy cheap along with a bunch of 20 dollar or so games. I feel like that's the best solution, since I have a nice PC and a huge backlog that I'll never get through.

Seems to me that many of these exclusives are one and dones, anyway, so I should be able to blow through most of them fairly quick; except for Bloodborne, which might garner my interest for more than 1 playthrough.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@geraltofwar: naw me and my roomate ran through 15 hours of it monday because we both were off work, he finnished the rest the next day, said this earlier.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I dont think its that unreasonable to want it too be longer, there's not a lot of replay for me personally, but hey different strokes for different folks. I mean the witcher 3, fallout, monster hunter, Nier. Alot of other games have a longer play through. thats all im saying. its not devil may cry (reboot) short, thank god, but still pretty short.

Also, I was not impressed with the troll re skins. They could have been more creative with the monsters and bosses. Needs more variety. Same with the puzzles, most were boring except the blades one where you run through. That was cool.

Its a solid game, id give it an 8. But It didn't blow me away like it did for some people.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
@UssjTrunks said:
@Enragedhydra said:
@UssjTrunks said:

I only pay $12 for movies.

I get 4 blu-rays for $10 at my local pawnshop

I haven't used a disc of any kind in like 10 years. Not sure how Blu Ray still exists.

The same way places better than fast food exist.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

I think it's worth it if you have not a large backlog to play. I'll wait for it to drop personally, playing all kinds of other stuff.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Americans getting ripped off again and not even realising it, its only $50 in Australia, which ends up being $35 USD.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Pedro

@pc_rocks said:

No you jumped in because you think you had a point, you and Epak DID NOT. Refuting something with facts and in the context doesn't mean being offended.

LOL. I did not make any points in your discourse with Epak, only supported a point he made and it got you all triggered. Don't hide from the facts man.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts
@GTR12 said:

Americans getting ripped off again and not even realising it, its only $50 in Australia, which ends up being $35 USD.

Where is it 50 bucks? I've seen it at EB Games for $99.95 (not sure why don't just charge 100 lol). A lot of newer games are in that range, which is still higher than what Americans have to pay for, generally.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

I usually have a pretty good amount of back logged games. I really don't see a need to buy and SP only game day one unless I am a huge fan like Gears or Mass Effect series 1-3. And those are 100s of hours.

Games with multiplayer and SP are more worth getting on early since everyone is just learning and it's new for everyone. And with some games the MP amount of fellow gamers is at it's biggest.

This is why it's dangerous to go SP only route. Play it and done, sell on secondary market and Devs and Publishers don't see a dime. Look I am a fan but I am a consumer first. I try to avoid buying used, but if not sure about a game have no problem with it and hell yeahs I want to make some money when done with a game. That said usually wait a couple months on SP games.

shurns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 shurns
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts

AAA exclusives should be worth $60 bucks imo

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Enragedhydra
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

@shurns said:

Why?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 GTR12
@SOedipus said:
@GTR12 said:

Where is it 50 bucks? I've seen it at EB Games for $99.95 (not sure why don't just charge 100 lol). A lot of newer games are in that range, which is still higher than what Americans have to pay for, generally.

How long have you been studying in Australia? the number 1 gaming rule here is, never buy a standard edition of a game from EB.

It was $50 yesterday here its back to $79 now, it was also $48 at Amazon AU for pre-orders, and 2 days after it released.

NEVER buy standard editions from EB, especially new games.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts

@GTR12 said:
@SOedipus said:
@GTR12 said:

How long have you been studying in Australia? the number 1 gaming rule here is, never buy a standard edition of a game from EB.

It was $50 yesterday here its back to $79 now, it was also $48 at Amazon AU for pre-orders, and 2 days after it released.

Or at least price match at EB with other stores... that's what I usually do. Big W/Target/JB usually have new releases for $69/79.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 GTR12

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@GTR12 said:
@SOedipus said:

Or at least price match at EB with other stores... that's what I usually do. Big W/Target/JB usually have new releases for $69/79.

Or do that, it will also be $65 on Ebay stores tomorrow (they aren't used copies).

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#84 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

If the reviewer scores are accurate, then the game is worth more than $60.

shurns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 shurns

@Enragedhydra said:
@shurns said:

Why?

Because they seemed to be well enjoyed by most critics.

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Enragedhydra
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

@shurns said:
@Enragedhydra said:
@shurns said:

Why?

Doesn't mean the game is worth $60 bucks. I payed full price for Homefront and it was not worth $60 bucks. The way some game companies are going they won't let their game be demo'd or released to critics early, at best it is a day early. This was the case with DOOM.

shurns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 shurns

@Enragedhydra said:
@shurns said:
@Enragedhydra said:
@shurns said:

Why?

Doesn't mean the game is worth $60 bucks. I payed full price for Homefront and it was not worth $60 bucks. The way some game companies are going they won't let their game be demo'd or released to critics early, at best it is a day early. This was the case with DOOM.

But those are the kind of judgements and decisions I personally make though. Everyone's viewpoints and decisions are different. But I do agree it's a shame some of these companies won't allow their game to be demo'd more early by critics.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 PC_Rocks

@Epak_:

Like I said that game was for the initial Kickstarter before they became such a success on crowd funding and changed the scope siginificantly. The original game proposed was way different than the current Star Citizen and just so you know they even asked their backers should they increase the scope or go with the original vision now since they have more funds and almost all voted in favor of delaying the game and increasing its scope. So I again don't see how is a scam. You want a scam look at Molyneux kickstarter.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 PC_Rocks

@Pedro:

The people hiding from the facts are you and Epak and keeps changing the argument from reveal time to scam to now the game is out etc etc. None of you have refuted the actual point I raised that why is it okay for a linear template game to have a longer dev cycle but a much ambitious game should be judged on a different scale. The only valid answer is fanboyism.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Pedro said:
@i_p_daily said:

I think unless a game has both SP & MP modes then they are not worth the full asking price. Also what does the length of production have to do with price???

That's a pretty limited assessment for the worth of a game. Skyrim with no multiplayer options is a perfect example of a game with excellent replay value and is worth the price of admission.

Independent of this, the worth of a game really boils down to the player. If someone is willing to experience a stellar 15 hours of gameplay for $60 I don't see the problem.

I should have said short SP games, as I recently put 114hrs into AC Origins (SP only) and found that worth the asking price,

And i'm just saying for me a 15hr full price SP game is not worth it, for example I bought Quantum Break full price and finished it 3 days later, which is a waste of money for me, but if someone else finds that good value good for them.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Epak_

@pc_rocks said:

@Epak_:

Like I said that game was for the initial Kickstarter before they became such a success on crowd funding and changed the scope siginificantly. The original game proposed was way different than the current Star Citizen and just so you know they even asked their backers should they increase the scope or go with the original vision now since they have more funds and almost all voted in favor of delaying the game and increasing its scope. So I again don't see how is a scam. You want a scam look at Molyneux kickstarter.

Yeah, just hope they don't keep increasing the scope indefinitely and then just disappear.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 PC_Rocks

@Epak_:

Cool! Just good to know you have admitted the hate Star Citizen gets is because of fanboyism.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

That's the nature of single player games. More so if it's story focused and even more so if that story is done well. It's probably smarter to rent these types of games, I like to keep the games I play though and for good ones will play them many times. For me it was worth it because it's pretty damn good. I try and wait for prices to drop before buying games but I couldn't wait for this one and I have no regrets.

crazypal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 crazypal
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

I see it this way: do I wanna pay 60 bucks for a game that's never ending and repetitive and forgettable? Or a 10 hour game that was well made, well written, fun and that will have long lasting impact on me.

I pick the latter.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Epak_
@pc_rocks said:

@Epak_:

Cool! Just good to know you have admitted the hate Star Citizen gets is because of fanboyism.

Yeah, let's hope people get to enjoy the game in 2023.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#96 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

yes its well worth the cash

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#97 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Yes........it is amazing game and the best God of War game.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

It's worth more.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 PC_Rocks

@Epak_ said:
@pc_rocks said:

@Epak_:

Yeah, let's hope people get to enjoy the game in 2023.

I'm not one of them but many people are already enjoying Star Citizen, no need to wait at all unlike people that waited for GoW, TLG, Crackdown etc. even more funny people are waiting for Shenmue 3, Bloodstained and Death Stranding even though they have nothing but a bunch of screenshots and pre-rendered trailers after years in of waiting. I don't hear any complains for delay there.

Pcmasterrace69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Pcmasterrace69
Member since 2017 • 373 Posts

@davillain-: They can work on a well made multiplayer mode if they want to now. I'd rather pay for a well made quality dlc that adds good multiplayer than getting a meh multiplayer.

I really hope they work on MP soon :)