Is everything getting "dumbed-down" nowadays?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Console games aren't what they used to be. It's not about the challenge anymore but all about the flashy graphics and making the games as accessible as possible. Add-ons like the Kinect put that to a whole new level. Likewise, more and more console games bet everything on a "cinematic" experience with annoying QTEs left and right. Just take a look at Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. Surely those games are technically proficient and spectacular, but if you put away the pretty mask you get terribly linear, short and simplistic games. So much for games getting "maturer". Not even Nintendo is what they used to be. They now crater to the casual gamer with they gimmicky gamepads and stuff like Wii Sports. Where are the good ol days of hardcore platformers they were once known for? They now make self-playing games and that's not even a joke. And despite all the "consolization" PC gamers blame to be the reason for poorer PC game experiences nowadays, I've found myself that a lot of modern PC exclusives are also pretty dumbed-down compared to the older PC games. Compare Civilization V with Civ IV or III and you'll know what I mean. The fact is all games are getting "dumbed-down".

Discuss. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Pick up a Paradox game or several indie titles if you want difficult.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

Console games aren't what they used to be. Right, they're much better.

more and more console games bet everything on a "cinematic" experience with annoying QTEs left and right . Just take a look at Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 so? QTE = dumbing down? and QTE ain't that frequent in UC2 or GOW 3.

Surely those games are technically proficient and spectacular, but if you put away the pretty mask you get terribly linear, short and simplistic games I don't remember games being any longer, non linear last gen.

So much for games getting "maturer" non linear, long and uber complex games = mature?.

nameless12345

Is GoW 3 dumbed down compared to last gen GoWs? What about FPS?Were last gen FPS more challenging? I don't think so....

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It's definitely apparent in the main stream. I mostly blame the use of added power being focused on cinematic story telling rather than deepening gameplay. Focusing on presenting a story usually ends up taking control out of the players hands which leaves players with a dumbed down experience which tends to be forgiven by the masses and video game journalists because the presentation is flashy.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

more and more console games bet everything on a "cinematic" experience with annoying QTEs left and right . Just take a look at Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 so? QTE = dumbing down? and QTE ain't that frequent in UC2 or GOW 3.

Surely those games are technically proficient and spectacular, but if you put away the pretty mask you get terribly linear, short and simplistic games I don't remember games being any longer, non linear last gen.

So much for games getting "maturer" non linear, long and uber complex games = mature?.

Harisemo

Is GoW 3 dumbed down compared to last gen GoWs? What about FPS?Were last gen FPS more challenging? I don't think so....

I don't know, but I've heard complaints that GoW 3 didn't live up to the first two parts and I'd say that FPS copy too much the CoD style. Back in the days we had more unique experiences.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#6 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
People were saying everything was dumbed down last gen too. Gamers are pessimists. Theres always something horribly wrong with everything you like.
Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

"Not even Nintendo is what they used to be. They now crater to the casual gamer with they gimmicky gamepads and stuff like Wii Sports."

Good luck trying to convince people on here with that, I've tried.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

"Not even Nintendo is what they used to be. They now crater to the casual gamer with they gimmicky gamepads and stuff like Wii Sports."

Good luck trying to convince people on here with that, I've tried.

Jelley0

Well, you were saying it was specifically Nintendo, when in reality it's all 3 of them and (to a lesser extent) the PC as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

People grow and learned and gain experiences that allow them to more easily deal with challenges. Games become easier as we get older because we have more experience, better hand-eye coordination, and have know how to shoot an AK-47 in an FPS, or jump from platform to platform, or cast a fire spell.

If the games you play aren't challening enough, turn the difficulty to a higher setting.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
I think a lot of people forget that games used to be freaking square and it was easy to make a long winding level when your textures were all brown blobs or the same brick texture 900 times. I could easily make a long winding FPS level and so could most developers but then everyone would moan that it all looked the same.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

People grow and learned and gain experiences that allow them to more easily deal with challenges. Games become easier as we get older because we have more experience, better hand-eye coordination, and have know how to shoot an AK-47 in an FPS, or jump from platform to platform, or cast a fire spell.

If the games you play aren't challening enough, turn the difficulty to a higher setting.

jimkabrhel

That does make sense when you get more experience the games start feeling easier even if they are the same difficulty they have always been.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

I don't know, but I've heard complaints that GoW 3 didn't live up to the first two parts and I'd say that FPS copy too much the CoD style. Back in the days we had more unique experiences.

nameless12345

It's not because GoW 3 was dumbed down or anything, it's just not as good as last two (I disagree with that though, imo GoW 3 > GoW 1 but maybe not as good as GoW 2). Most FPS play differently from CoD but I agree some things are copied like the XP system etc but that doesn't make the game "dumbed down". The only thing last gen had over this gen are platformers.

Snakemaster9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Snakemaster9
Member since 2010 • 1420 Posts

Everything is dumbed down!

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

It's because we're so focused on the "cinematic" now. Game developers want to make movies so badly that they've forgotten what good game design is.

Protip: It's not forcing you down a linear corridor with little to no choice of how you play moment to moment.

This gen is so garbage.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Pick up a Paradox game or several indie titles if you want difficult.

Whiteblade999
Super Meat Boy.
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Its the same as it always has been TC. At least in the past 15 years, games are mostly the same just better graphics.

xXTalismanXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xXTalismanXx
Member since 2008 • 916 Posts

Well considering everyone from above agree's with the present focus on cinematic experiences, one could say the dumbing down began with Final Fantasy VII.

xXTalismanXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xXTalismanXx
Member since 2008 • 916 Posts

It's because we're so focused on the "cinematic" now. Game developers want to make movies so badly that they've forgotten what good game design is.

Protip: It's not forcing you down a linear corridor with little to no choice of how you play moment to moment.

This gen is so garbage.

DarkLink77

We need the pre-microsft Rareware, to show Devs these days how to make an enjoyable, addicting, humourous game. Sadly though most of the original geniuses left a while ago.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Just seems like an anti console rant to me. Plenty of worthwhile and difficult games out there on Consoles or any platform for that matter. Try GoW3 on Titan. That's a pain. And, frankly, if you haven't beaten Demon's Souls even once then you have zero room to talk.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Not everything.

I mainly just stay away from many big budget titles. Some are great though, but a lot (as has been mentioned in this thread) will remove the player from the game in order to tell a story, and go for flash over substance.

However, these games tend to sell well, and review incredibly well, so what can you do? :P

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

Who knows. It doesn't matter, though. The important thing is that games are getting better and better.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Its the same as it always has been TC. At least in the past 15 years, games are mostly the same just better graphics.

GTSaiyanjin2

I have to disagree especially when it comes to RPGs. A lot of RPGs that come out today are shallow in role playing aspects compared to the last two gens.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

[QUOTE="GTSaiyanjin2"]

jasonharris48

I have to disagree especially when it comes to RPGs. A lot of RPGs that come out today are shallow in role playing aspects compared to the last two gens.

I do think they are a lot less of them, but thats because of how popular the FPS genre has become. Two good ones that come to mind are DAO and The witcher games.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Yes, simply to appeal to a wider audience. I don't particularly agree with it but as long as i can tune it to Veteran or Hard mode then generally i'm ok with it.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Console games aren't what they used to be. It's not about the challenge anymore but all about the flashy graphics and making the games as accessible as possible. Add-ons like the Kinect put that to a whole new level. Likewise, more and more console games bet everything on a "cinematic" experience with annoying QTEs left and right. Just take a look at Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. Surely those games are technically proficient and spectacular, but if you put away the pretty mask you get terribly linear, short and simplistic games.So much for games getting "maturer". Not even Nintendo is what they used to be. They now crater to the casual gamer with they gimmicky gamepads and stuff like Wii Sports. Where are the good ol days of hardcore platformers they were once known for? They now make self-playing games and that's not even a joke. And despite all the "consolization" PC gamers blame to be the reason for poorer PC game experiences nowadays, I've found myself that a lot of modern PC exclusives are also pretty dumbed-down compared to the older PC games. Compare Civilization V with Civ IV or III and you'll know what I mean. The fact is all games are getting "dumbed-down".

nameless12345

Terribly linear, short and simplistic games?and you used Uncharted 2 instead of Gears of war and and GoD of War 3 instead of MVC3? The words and the games you used don't match up for me.

UC2 and GoW3 are two great games by my standards even within all the other crap games that are coming out this gen. Using those generic and unthoughtful criticisms to describe thesetwo very different games makes me wonder if you have even played them.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

Regarding your first section

• Linear games are a lot easier to make than non-linear games.
  • QTE have been around even in the 1980s with titles such as Dragon's Lair. They are there to make you interact a bit more with the cutscenes.
  • I dont know about them being short, Uncharted, God of War are quite long actually, especially when you take into consideration how short games used to be back then. In the Atari days, many games were perhaps only 15 minutes long. And I recall being able to beat a lot of SNES era games within 2 hours.

Regarding your second part

• Nintendo have always been casual, I dont understand why people keep saying they were "hardcore", even Nintendo themselves have stated that they have always catered to the casual gamer.
  • NSMBWii, Donkey Kong Country Returns are about on the same difficulty level as their old platformers. Especially the later levels of both.
  • Since not only do you have to die a lot of times in a single section to be able to activate the help system. But it is also entirely optional. I dont see why this would bother anyone. If you dont like it dont use it, as simple as that. I like the system as their games actually became harder after they implemented it.
  • Bringing up an old point, Skyward Sword promises to be a lot less linear than previous Zeldas in terms of map design, enemies also seem to do more damage, the first boss takes away an entire heart for instance. And most testers were not breezing through it.

Regarding the third part

• Civilization is getting dumbed down, but they also recieved a ton of flack for it.
  • There are indie games with the complexity of old games. Dwarf Fortress is still in development, and is probably THE MOST COMPLEX game ever.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Console games aren't what they used to be. It's not about the challenge anymore but all about the flashy graphics and making the games as accessible as possible. Add-ons like the Kinect put that to a whole new level. Likewise, more and more console games bet everything on a "cinematic" experience with annoying QTEs left and right. Just take a look at Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. Surely those games are technically proficient and spectacular, but if you put away the pretty mask you get terribly linear, short and simplistic games.So much for games getting "maturer". Not even Nintendo is what they used to be. They now crater to the casual gamer with they gimmicky gamepads and stuff like Wii Sports. Where are the good ol days of hardcore platformers they were once known for? They now make self-playing games and that's not even a joke. And despite all the "consolization" PC gamers blame to be the reason for poorer PC game experiences nowadays, I've found myself that a lot of modern PC exclusives are also pretty dumbed-down compared to the older PC games. Compare Civilization V with Civ IV or III and you'll know what I mean. The fact is all games are getting "dumbed-down".

casharmy

Terribly linear, short and simplistic games?and you used Uncharted 2 instead of Gears of war and and GoD of War 3 instead of MVC3? The words and the games you used don't match up for me.

UC2 and GoW3 are two great games by my standards even within all the other crap games that are coming out this gen. Using those generic and unthoughtful criticisms to describe thesetwo very different games makes me wonder if you have even played them.

Uncharted is short, linear and simplistic. But so is Gears. I don't see what the big deal is.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
Instead of improving programs we get improving graphics. Instead of improving story. We got 'improving' game play, with the Wii mote, Kinect, and Move. Not everyone would say that's dumbed down, but I don't see it as progression.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Who knows. It doesn't matter, though. The important thing is that games are getting better and better.

IronBass
i agree 100%..who cares if video games developers and treating us gamers like babies and make things easier for us to understand? as long as the game is fun that's all that should matter.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

casharmy

Yeah, I played UC2. Good looking game but pretty linear and limited. I don't like so much focus on movie-like presentation in nowadays games. Same with God of War 3 - looks great but isn't really a deep gaming experience. Not as deep as one would like atleast.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#31 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Yes they are.

Manyplatformers constantly pile on lives making it almost impossible to get a game over, in an older platformer like Crash Bandicoot once you broke a life crate it's not gonna reappear if you die, Hell, coming back to the level won't make it come back as a life crate either. Not to mention those damn super-guides that spoon feed you what you have to do.

The FPS genre went from being atmospheric and requring exploration to mindless shooting of stupid enemies.

I notice that some RPGs such as Dragon Age: Origonsare easier than older ones. In Baulder's Gate if one of your characters dies they don't come back to life after the fight is over, you have to revive them in time or else they stay dead forever, sometimesyou won't even be given that chance(except for the main character where if he dies it's an automatic gameover). Oh andhealth didn't just regenerate back then either.In Dragon Age: Origins it's the exact opposite.

Those are just some of the things I've noticed dumbed-down in the industry today.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Forgive me for asking this, but why dont you guys just put it on hard if its to easy for you?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

Forgive me for asking this, but why dont you guys just put it on hard if its to easy for you?

crimsonman1245

2 reasons

1. Increasing the difficulty just increases enemy damage and life. It doesnt make the game deeper.
  2. Sometimes even the hardest setting is too easy. Infamous 1 and Mass Effect series are examples of this.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
gamer nostalgia eh?
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Harisemo

I remember games like Doom being much more difficult than any shooter this generation, and they were better for it, and dumbing down doesn't only apply to difficulty, it applies to complexity in story gameplay as well.
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Just seems like an anti console rant to me. Plenty of worthwhile and difficult games out there on Consoles or any platform for that matter. Try GoW3 on Titan. That's a pain. And, frankly, if you haven't beaten Demon's Souls even once then you have zero room to talk.

Puckhog04

Demon's Souls is the exception in today's standards.

In the past, difficult games were the norm.

Edit : And no, difficult games means a lot more than just to cheaply increase the enemy health and damage.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

PC gaming has been dumbed down, so dumbed down, that sometimes it fills me with rage, that facebook is killing one of the (IMO) best PC series ever Sim City, rumored being dumbed-down for use in facebook.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

games aren't easier, they are just less punishing and much more flexible with saveing so you don't have to replay everything if you make a mistake,

also games aren't getting harder... so everyone that gets really really good will eventually get board with how difficult games generally are.

BigDaddyPOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BigDaddyPOLO
Member since 2005 • 2251 Posts

Most of these claims can be separated into two groups:

1. A game is less difficult than previous ones. More often than not they are actually just less frustrating, and developers try to add on challenge where they can without making the game a massive ragefest, so it's actually an enjoyable, uniform experience start to finish.

2. A game is less complex than previous ones. Maybe it is but then again maybe it's because the wide majority of people don't consider sorting through lists of fictional statistics and numbers an enjoyable experience, but usually what people consider to be simplifying is actually just removal of useless aspects that create nothing but clutter.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
What the hell does "dumbed down" mean anyway?
Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
Mostly all the games I played in the past years have been "dumbed down" : Mass Effect 2 was streamlined(and will be greatly streamlined in 3), Dragon Age II was streamlined, Skyrim is being streamlined to a degree, and now my beloved hitman is going through the dumbing down process with that e3 footage. sad times my friends
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Games have been in the process of being 'dumbed down' for quite a while. In the same sense society is always deteriorating, our youth is always becoming more disrespectful, etc etc. If such stories were true, games would be absolutely incompetent right about now.
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LinKuei_warrior

Games have been in the process of being 'dumbed down' for quite a while. In the same sense society is always deteriorating, our youth is always becoming more disrespectful, etc etc. If such stories were true, games would be absolutely incompetent right about now.UCF_Knight

That's so true, man! It's kind of sad now that I think about how dead on that was xD

BigDaddyPOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BigDaddyPOLO
Member since 2005 • 2251 Posts

(and will be greatly streamlined in 3)LinKuei_warrior
Did you even see the RPG features in ME3, they're more complex than the ones in both games before it...

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#47 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

What the hell does "dumbed down" mean anyway?mrmusicman247

Made easier or less complex to appeal to the masses.

DOOOOOOOOOOPID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DOOOOOOOOOOPID
Member since 2011 • 48 Posts
dumbed down has been dumbed down.
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LinKuei_warrior

[QUOTE="LinKuei_warrior"](and will be greatly streamlined in 3)BigDaddyPOLO

Did you even see the RPG features in ME3, they're more complex than the ones in both games before it...

oh what you can put a barrel gun? big whoop. mass effect1 had an upgrade system that will probably be more deep than any ME game after it. This game willl have multiplayer that will be terrible on comparisons to games that actually cater to online play, rather than just tacked on bioware gun fights. bleh...I need to change my icon. I despise bioware.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#50 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Console games aren't what they used to be. It's not about the challenge anymore but all about the flashy graphics and making the games as accessible as possible. Add-ons like the Kinect put that to a whole new level. Likewise, more and more console games bet everything on a "cinematic" experience with annoying QTEs left and right. Just take a look at Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. Surely those games are technically proficient and spectacular, but if you put away the pretty mask you get terribly linear, short and simplistic games. So much for games getting "maturer". Not even Nintendo is what they used to be. They now crater to the casual gamer with they gimmicky gamepads and stuff like Wii Sports. Where are the good ol days of hardcore platformers they were once known for? They now make self-playing games and that's not even a joke. And despite all the "consolization" PC gamers blame to be the reason for poorer PC game experiences nowadays, I've found myself that a lot of modern PC exclusives are also pretty dumbed-down compared to the older PC games. Compare Civilization V with Civ IV or III and you'll know what I mean. The fact is all games are getting "dumbed-down".

nameless12345

I agree with you 100%. If you take away most game's awesome graphics, all you have is terrible, short, and easy games.