Is buying exclusivity bad for gaming?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

Buying exclusivity seems to be the only defense MS has against Sony nowadays. We saw it with Fallout 3 DLC, GTA DLC and possibly Tony Hawks.

But is buying exclusivity, timed or otherwise, actually pretty bad for gaming? I mean, it's not as if MS are actually producing great content and thus encouraging people to buy their console. Instead they are essentially blocking content appearing on other systems, limiting the number of people that can play a game and forcing them to buy their console.

Exclusives have always been great as companies are forced to create great products in order to get the consumers in. MS's latest tactic basically means they don't add anything to the gaming industy in terms on content as their "exclusives" would have been developed regardless. Shame on them?

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thetruespin
lol, i guess I'm the only one that feels this way.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I think only fanboys care, gamers don't mind I suppose.

-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -snorlax-
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

it is bad for gaming. M$ contibuted little to the game industry. theyre just hoping to profit on live and DLC while they steal exclusives and studios as they seek to monopolize the market.

-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -snorlax-

mitu123
i dont think so.
Avatar image for deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
Member since 2007 • 3235 Posts

it is bad for gaming. M$ contibuted little to the game industry. theyre just hoping to profit on live and DLC while they steal exclusives and studios as they seek to monopolize the market.

-snorlax-
Its good, the studios get the money to fund the game, then people buy more than one console, then buy the consoles exclusives when i brought my ps3, i also got about 10 exclusives,
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Everything should be multiplat as so everyone can enjoy great games. Shame the world doesn't work that way.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
While I don't think it has any massive impact on gaming, I do think its bad for it anyway. I think most games should be enjoyed by more people, and the vast majority of games are NOT system sellers, from what I remember not even GTAIV was seen as such, the only real reason to buy exclusives would be to make sure people who want it, play it on your console, which doesn't seem to have worked, and kind of just prevents one group from playing the game. Though 99% of the time, we don't know whats bought and whats exclusive for other reasons...
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17457 Posts

lol, i guess I'm the only one that feels this way.thetruespin
Well, IMHO, its karma coming back to bite them. How do you think sony got those 20+ first party studios?? You think they just joined sony because the WANTED to?? Nope, sony bought studios left and right last gen because they wanted exclusivity, so they threw money around, and the other 2 couldnt afford to do it. Now the tables have turned, and fanboys cry foul when MS does it because it doesnt benefit them. Well if its bad this gen, then sony is the worst. at least MS buys just the GAME and not the STUDIO like sony. This double standard crap gets on my nerves. I dont think its bad for gaming, exclusives are NECESSARY to separate yourself from the competition. Only FANBOYS have a problem with it because it doesnt benefit them, yet when THEIR side gets exclusive games, dlc, or anything else, then its ok :roll: Sony and nintendo have way more brand recognitions than MS, and it was an uphill battle for them against sony. you want them to ASK sony is it ok to buy a game?? You think theyre supposed to just sit back and play "fair"?? they wouldve died with the xbox had they done that. This is a BUSINESS, all three companies play that game.

savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts
I rly don't care. Its not Microsofts saving grace as i dont rly care about DLCs in the first place. Microsoft simply has a lead over the PS3 as i had a smoother start and lots of great games.
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thetruespin

-snorlax-
this is what i mean... in the past if you wanted respect you MADE good games or at least FINANCED good games. Now all MS does is take multiplat games, give the devs a load of money and ask that they dont release it on the PS3. They don't contribute anything.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Shame on Microsoft. Don't forget about them buying timed exclusivity on Ghostbusters too.
-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -snorlax-
[QUOTE="-snorlax-"]

scottiescott238
Its good, the studios get the money to fund the game, then people buy more than one console, then buy the consoles exclusives when i brought my ps3, i also got about 10 exclusives,

Well its not always a good thing. ie: Rare
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mitu123
[QUOTE="mitu123"]

-snorlax-
i dont think so.

You might be right, though fanboys do care a lot.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#15 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

i saw a vid of some guy ranting on youtube about this topic, except he was ranting at sony for the ghostbusters exclusivity in EA/AU lol..

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mitu123
[QUOTE="scottiescott238"][QUOTE="-snorlax-"]

-snorlax-

Well its not always a good thing. ie: Rare

Yeah, their games sell poorly on the 360.
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thetruespin
Shame on Microsoft. Don't forget about them buying timed exclusivity on Ghostbusters too.Floppy_Jim
bloody hell... does their evil have no bounds???!!?
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thetruespin

i saw a vid of some guy ranting on youtube about this topic, except he was ranting at sony for the ghostbusters exclusivity in EA/AU lol..

zarshack
im confused, who has exclusivity on GB, MS or SOny?
-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -snorlax-
[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="mitu123"]

mitu123
i dont think so.

when i got the gcn i was heartbroken when m$ bought Rare out. i wasnt a fanboy just becuz I didnt want an xbox but look at the rare games that did come out for the xbox. i'd much rather have conker 2 than grabbed by the ghoulies
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

By that logic, there should be no such thing as exclusives to begin with since some gamers will inevitably be unable to enjoy them because they don't have the system the exclusive game is on.

And seriously, let's not act like Sony hasn't done its share of moneyhatting this generation...

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#21 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

[QUOTE="zarshack"]

thetruespin

sony does in EU and AU only.

savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#22 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts

By that logic, there should be no such thing as exclusives to begin with since some gamers will inevitably be unable to enjoy them because they don't have the system the exclusive game is on.

And seriously, let's not act like Sony hasn't done its share of moneyhatting this generation...

The_Game21x
or last generation.
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thetruespin

[QUOTE="thetruespin"][QUOTE="zarshack"]

zarshack

sony does in EU and AU only.

thank god i live in the UK!!! oh joy
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mitu123
[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="-snorlax-"] i dont think so.

when i got the gcn i was heartbroken when m$ bought Rare out. i wasnt a fanboy just becuz I didnt want an xbox but look at the rare games that did come out for the xbox. i'd much rather have conker 2 than grabbed by the ghoulies

Yeah, Grabbed by the Ghoulies did suck. Well, I meant to say most fanboys, not all of them since you weren't one, sorry if what I said didn't come out correctly.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#25 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Monopolization is a bad thing, period.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Shame on Microsoft. Don't forget about them buying timed exclusivity on Ghostbusters too.thetruespin
bloody hell... does their evil have no bounds???!!?

http://murderati.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c5af653ef01156f79467b970b-800wi

Nope, the evil of M$ has no bounds :(

But I agree that a company getting timed exclusivity on something only screws over owners of the other consoles, it doesn't particularly benefit their own fanbase. We saw Sony do it with GTA (last gen) and Ghostbusters, MS are doing it now with DLC, Lost Planet 2 etc and I'm sure Nintendo have done it many times in the past.

-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -snorlax-
[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="mitu123"] You might be right, though fanboys do care a lot.mitu123

Yeah, Grabbed by the Ghoulies did suck. Well, I meant to say most fanboys, not all of them since you weren't one, sorry if what I said didn't come out correctly.

no no its ok im just meant that exclusivity hurts all us gamers.
fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

if not for exclusivity then much of the DLC wouldn't even exist. microsft knew enough to fund the development and without their contribution fallout 3 would never have risen above what sony settled for on the ps3. lost and the damned wouldn't exist either. without exclusivity there is little motivation to update and upgrade games, instead the focus would just be on the next sequel. very little DLC is made for games that are not exclusive in one way or another. either the DLC is exclusive or the game is.

also, if not for exclusive titles then the ps3 would never have survived this long. it was too expensive and the majority of multiplats have been better for the 360. sony should thank god for exclusivity.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
I don't care. What is so different from MS's way (buying exclusive contracts for games/content) to the other way (buying developers so they make exclusive games)?
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
Idk if it's bad for gaming, but it certainly serves no benefit to gaming in anyway.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mitu123
[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="-snorlax-"] when i got the gcn i was heartbroken when m$ bought Rare out. i wasnt a fanboy just becuz I didnt want an xbox but look at the rare games that did come out for the xbox. i'd much rather have conker 2 than grabbed by the ghoulies

Fair enough, now I get it.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 navyguy21
[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="-snorlax-"] when i got the gcn i was heartbroken when m$ bought Rare out. i wasnt a fanboy just becuz I didnt want an xbox but look at the rare games that did come out for the xbox. i'd much rather have conker 2 than grabbed by the ghoulies

How does exclusivity hurt gamers? How on earth did you decide what console to buy? How would you decide if all 3 had the same games?? why would we need more than 1 on the market if they all had the same games?? That means no system wars, no E3, no game shows, the console industry would flatline, there would be no competition, and every dev would pull a "madden" and rehash the same crap.
NYrockinlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NYrockinlegend
Member since 2008 • 2025 Posts
It's part of a plan to get the consumers to buy their system. It's totally appropriate.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Developing exclusives for your console is great obviously.

Buying exclusive rights is not however. I don't think that needs an explanation.

-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -snorlax-
[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="mitu123"] Yeah, Grabbed by the Ghoulies did suck. Well, I meant to say most fanboys, not all of them since you weren't one, sorry if what I said didn't come out correctly.navyguy21

How does exclusivity hurt gamers? How on earth did you decide what console to buy? How would you decide if all 3 had the same games?? why would we need more than 1 on the market if they all had the same games?? That means no system wars, no E3, no game shows, the console industry would flatline, there would be no competition, and every dev would pull a "madden" and rehash the same crap.

or maybe just maybe we can play all these great games on a single platform ie PC and stop bashing other consoles for games we cant play?
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 navyguy21
[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="-snorlax-"] no no its ok im just meant that exclusivity hurts all us gamers.

or maybe just maybe we can play all these great games on a single platform ie PC and stop bashing other consoles for games we cant play?

and where is the diversity in that?? what incentive to devs have to make their games better?? How do you think sony came to be?? you think they would exist if they just gave up when things fell through with nintendo?? Competition is ALWAYS a good thing. No matter what industry you are in, or what side you are on.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SpruceCaboose

Buying exclusive rights is not however. I don't think that needs an explanation.

Filthybastrd
What is the difference?
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="navyguy21"]How does exclusivity hurt gamers? How on earth did you decide what console to buy? How would you decide if all 3 had the same games?? why would we need more than 1 on the market if they all had the same games?? That means no system wars, no E3, no game shows, the console industry would flatline, there would be no competition, and every dev would pull a "madden" and rehash the same crap.navyguy21

and where is the diversity in that?? what incentive to devs have to make their games better?? How do you think sony came to be?? you think they would exist if they just gave up when things fell through with nintendo?? Competition is ALWAYS a good thing. No matter what industry you are in, or what side you are on.

Competition between devs is just fine.

I fail to see how preventing a game being released on a platform does anything for gamers though.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

SpruceCaboose

What is the difference?

well if you develop a game for your console, it's obvious you're not going to help the competition.

If you buy exclusivity from a third party dev you're preventing potential customers from getting a game that would've otherwise been available to them.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="-snorlax-"] or maybe just maybe we can play all these great games on a single platform ie PC and stop bashing other consoles for games we cant play?Filthybastrd

I fail to see how preventing a game being released on a platform does anything for gamers though.

So its cool to release Uncharted, InFamous, MGS4, K2, Heavy Rain (which sony paid for), uncharted 2, and GOW3 on 360??

Seriously?? who would buy a PS3 if that happend??

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

Filthybastrd

What is the difference?

well if you develop a game for your console, it's obvious you're not going to help the competition.

If you buy exclusivity from a third party dev you're preventing potential customers from getting a game that would've otherwise been available to them.

How is that a difference? Its the same thing if you buy the developer or if you buy the software rights. no? I fail to see any difference besides semantics.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]and where is the diversity in that?? what incentive to devs have to make their games better?? How do you think sony came to be?? you think they would exist if they just gave up when things fell through with nintendo?? Competition is ALWAYS a good thing. No matter what industry you are in, or what side you are on.navyguy21

So its cool to release Uncharted, InFamous, MGS4, K2, Heavy Rain (which sony paid for), uncharted 2, and GOW3 on 360??

So you seriosuly believe that having a game made for the console your company created is the same as paying a company, who would have otherwise released their game cross-platform to not release it on the competition's?

I call having first party devs making games "protecting your own interests" while I call buying exlcusive rights "protecting your own interests but with casualties"

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 navyguy21
[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] What is the difference?SpruceCaboose

How is that a difference? Its the same thing if you buy the developer or if you buy the software rights. no? I fail to see any difference besides semantics.

lol, exactly, if you buy a dev, YOU BUY ALL RIGHTS TO THEIR PROPERTIES, both present and future IPs. Had that studio been independent, then all consoles have access to any game produces.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

Filthybastrd

So you seriosuly believe that having a game made for the console your company created is the same as paying a company, who would have otherwise released their game cross-platform to not release it on the competition's?

I call having first party devs making games "protecting your own interests" while I call buying exlcusive rights "protecting your own interests but with casualties"

How do you think Sony got 20+ studios?? Here is a hint......they didnt create all of them :P
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

navyguy21

lol, exactly, if you buy a dev, YOU BUY ALL RIGHTS TO THEIR PROPERTIES, both present and future IPs. Had that studio been independent, then all consoles have access to any game produces.

I don't recall mentioning buying a dev. Just the exclusive rights to a game hence "third party".

But I'd love to see how people in this thread would have reacted if it came out that SE had intended to release FF13 as multiplat all along but a fat check from Sony had made it exclusive.....

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SpruceCaboose

I don't recall mentioning buying a dev. Just the exclusive rights to a game hence "third party".

Filthybastrd
Do you think companies like Team Ico, Naughty Dog, Studio Liverpool, etc just popped into existence? Like I said, you can go Sony's route and buy the developer, or MS's route and buy the software rights. Seems like 6 of one half dozen of the other to me.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SpruceCaboose

But I'd love to see how people in this thread would have reacted if it came out that SE had intended to release FF13 as multiplat all along but a fat check from Sony had made it exclusive.....

Filthybastrd
Same way I don't really care now about any exclusive deals. Thats kinda the reason I own all the systems, so I don't have to care.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Filthybastrd

Um...let's think about this for a second.

Heavy Rain was being developed for the PC, PS3 and 360 early into this generation. That is, until Sony stepped in and decided to publish it for them, making it exclusive to the PS3.

Now, I'm not going to say Heavy Rain is as big as Final Fantasy XIII but still, we're talking about a situation that is similar to the hypothetical situation you posted...

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hy4k
Member since 2009 • 1790 Posts
it's bad for gamers but from a hardware company's perspective it's good because it helps them gain an edge over their rivals. it's how the 360's been owning the ps3
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
If MS does it: bad, evil and it's killing gaming. If Sony does it: good, nice and it's saving gaming.