Is BotW-fication the next step for big Sony games?

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll Is BotW-fication the next step for big Sony games? (28 votes)

Likely. 39%
Unlikely. 64%

Is BotW-fication the next step for big Sony games?

BotW looks like a game where you can climb on anything but with stamina.

I think Sony has gotten some ideas from botw and will implement them in their uncharted, gow and horizon game.

Sony games love climbing in their game and Spiderman seems to be their pinnacle so far.

• 
Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

What??

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

No. Jim has said service games and mobile are the next big focus for Sony.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@djoffer123 said:

What??

BotW looks like a game where you can climb most surfaces.

A Sony game like Uncharted is mostly some ledge climbing. The next evolution should be a magnitude more animations for climbing on any surface, better than AC. Less invisible walls you can't traverse. You see a mountain or tree in Uncharted? Should be able to climb it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45141 Posts

I think you're talking about Immortals Fenix Rising. You should give that a go.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46329 Posts

@gym_lion said:

Playstation is doomed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69548 Posts

Climbing with stamina is not new thing. There is a game in which the entire game is based around such, Shadow of the Colossus, a Sony game.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5254 Posts

@Pedro said:

Climbing with stamina is not a new thing. There is a game in which the entire game is based around such, Shadow of the Colossus, a Sony game.

Breath of the Wild is more than a game involving climbing with a stamina wheel. It is more than that, and the TC is ignoring other noticable aspects of the game, such as its open world.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

This is lazy trolling at best.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

BOTW was an amazing experience as an old school gamer it was an old sch ool game in 3d

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59013 Posts

@Pedro said:

Climbing with stamina is not new thing. There is a game in which the entire game is based around such, Shadow of the Colossus, a Sony game.

And weapons durability breaking every 5 minutes was in DnD games back to the late 80's. It was annoying back then as well.

Of course, this creates strategy

Where, mid fight, you constantly pause a battle to exchange one peice of shit for 5 hits and it's done for another peice of shit 5 hits and it's done, hoarding the good stuff.

Very exciting.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17822 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Pedro said:

And weapons durability breaking every 5 minutes was in DnD games back to the late 80's. It was annoying back then as well.

Where, mid fight, you constantly pause a battle to exchange one peice of shit for 5 hits and it's done for another peice of shit 5 hits and it's done, hoarding the good stuff.

Very exciting.

I would love to see what the original plan was for the game on the wiiu before they made a switch version. The game was quite far into development before they made that change.

I reckon (and pure speculation on my part) that they were not going to allow the player pause the game in combat (or possibly at all unless they use the home button). as it is the weapon breaking thing is a pain. a pointless pause while you select your next implement.

But i suspect they were actually going to get the player to select that weapon while the combat was still running using the second screen on the gamepad. so it goes from a pointless pause to Weapon breaks: oh crap i need a break to be able to pick my next weapon, frantically look for something, maybe use a bomb to throw enemies off then select something. a bit like using a health potion in Monster hunter: you would need to be more careful about when to do it.

Try it in Botw if you have it. dont let yourself pause the game when in combat. it can get a bit mad (though as it currently stands not being able to select a new weapon without pausing is also pretty naff).

Same with the item stuff. i remember completely cheesing the volcano place until i got the correct armor. its just pause, hose down food to restore health, keep moving, pause again and so on.... i doubt this was nintendos intention. take away the ability to pause and that gets a bit more interesting.

Sadly the switch does lack one of the wiius tricks. I still really enjoyed BOTW mind.

On topic: maybe. I hope its something all 3 are looking at to be honest. for the first time in about 15 years the consoles have a properly big CPU upgrade. I hope devs find a use for all that horsepower other than just make the game run at a higher FPS. Hopefully they do something more interesting with it.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6849 Posts

This is terrible. Please better elaborate your reasoning if you expect more meaningful dialogue. Citing an example of a current/future game would be ideal.

And as mentioned, your sole example is not an original BOTW idea.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

This was a poorly thought out thread. It would be like if I said...

Is Halo-fication the next big step for Nintendo games? Halo Infinite has blue skies and I bet Mario, Zelda and DKC will implement that in the future games.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that most games don't seem to be taking much from the mechanics of BotW. Developers seem content to reproduce the same boring Ubisoft game over and over, instead.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19565 Posts

@onesiphorus: And the physics and chemistry engines, which are more sophisticated, emergent and open-ended than other open-world games. The very concept of a chemistry engine was virtually unheard of before BOTW came along.

Dragerdeifrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Dragerdeifrit
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

Climbing in Uncharted and GoW was a thing before BoTW was even announced, Horizon came out the same year as BoTW.. wtf r u talking about. if anything it was AssCreed the game started with climbing everything fetish developers have now

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38927 Posts

I would like to see a god of war with some botw ideas and open world. Imagine a massive open world where you can find a mountain size titan guarding an entrance to some place or some other god of warish shit. I want this game!

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#19 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Breath of the Wild sold well and people liked it. Of course it's going to have influence on the design of upcoming games, not just Sony.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@rzxv04: Maybe don't drink and post anymore...

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38927 Posts

@p3anut said:

Is the game on the right running on a 3DS?

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

@hardwenzen: yes

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

@gym_lion said:

Very true.

And I hope that devs don't follow BOTW for their designs, because I found it way too big and empty.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5254 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@gym_lion said:

Very true.

And I hope that devs don't follow BOTW for their designs, because I found it way too big and empty.

Can you blame the Great Calamity of a hundred years back for the empty world? After all, untold numbers of people were killed and several towns were destroyed during that time period (notice the large number of ruins in Central Hyrule), and Hyrule a hundred years latter has not recovered. There is a reason why the "wild" part is used in Breath of the Wild and some areas of Hyrule are referred to as "wilds."

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

@ProtossRushX: 'BOTW was an amazing experience as an old school gamer it was an old sch ool game in 3d'

Wait, wot?

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

BoTW felt new by striping down open world standards and trusting the player to make its own adventure. Plus it has a robust integration of overlapping systems which potentiate player freedom even more.

If we know one thing from Sony's recent past is that they trust the player very little and give it as little power of choice as possible. Be it systemic or narrative.

Having said this, no doubt we'll see some BotW influences. I'm pretty sure the team is aware that the first game lacked terribly when it released side by side with Zelda, with Zelda running in hardware that could barely keep up with a X360.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34621 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Pedro said:

Very exciting.

Or RE series, where you do exactly the same thing, but it takes way longer to do than in BotW.

This problem you have with BotW can be fixed by not hoarding the good stuff and not trying to kill late game monsters with twigs. Plenty of good weapons around at all times, and you have plenty of tools besides weapons to kill shit with. Play the game better. lol

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

@Dragerdeifrit: did you just compare the ultra scripted climbing of the shitshow known as uncharted to the free climbing in BOTW???

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59013 Posts

@Litchie: True. Or something very old like Vagrant Story where the type of weapon, the position targeted, the players aggresiveness and crafting of weapons had a massive effect on player effectiness. Pausing the combat in that game to both check enemies and player status was both a signicant and vital part of success.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1865 Posts

@theam0g said:

@ProtossRushX: 'BOTW was an amazing experience as an old school gamer it was an old sch ool game in 3d'

Wait, wot?

It's basically the original Zelda games, you know before Ocarina of Time, but put into 3D. That was the inspiration for BOTW.

@Litchie said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Pedro said:

Very exciting.

Or RE series, where you do exactly the same thing, but it takes way longer to do than in BotW.

This problem you have with BotW can be fixed by not hoarding the good stuff and not trying to kill late game monsters with twigs. Plenty of good weapons around at all times, and you have plenty of tools besides weapons to kill shit with. Play the game better. lol

I sort of agree with him though. That's my least favorite aspect of Breath of the Wild. The weapon break thing.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Litchie

@luxuryheart said:
@Litchie said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Pedro said:

Very exciting.

I sort of agree with him though. That's my least favorite aspect of Breath of the Wild. The weapon break thing.

It's the least favorite thing with the game for many people. And I can understand it. I just think the problem with it is exaggerated.

Avatar image for deactivated-6198641bda3ed
deactivated-6198641bda3ed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6198641bda3ed
Member since 2021 • 71 Posts

Nah, they're too busy ripping off Ubisoft

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8476 Posts

LOL no. They may copy a feature or two as they have always been doing but the entire Sony first party can't design a game like BOTW even if their lives depend on it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Litchie
@pc_rocks said:

LOL no. They may copy a feature or two as they have always been doing but the entire Sony first party can't design a game like BOTW even if their lives depend on it.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 690 Posts

@gym_lion said:

Thats the most depressing thing i have ever heard...