Is BETHESDA better rpg developer over BIOWARE ?

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

SW ?

Do you consider BETHESDA GAME STUDIOS ( makers of Elder Scrolls Franchise , Fallout 3 ) better rpg developer than BIOWARE ( makers of Dragon Age , Mass Effect ) ?

While i'm a BIOWARE fan , i'll admit BETHESDA GAME STUDIOS certainly makes bestest sandbox rpg's .

What do you think ? :)

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

As far as RPG's are concerned ?
Bethesda is vastly superior in my eyes.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Bioware is a better rpg developer IMO for 3 reasons

1. story: Bioware games tend to have much better stores, and better more theatrical presented stories.

2. Combat: Bioware games have a huge range of interesting combat. Bethesda are almost all the same medeocry styIe from game to game.

3. Completion: Bioware game are better complieted out of the gate. Bethesda= expected lots of early glitches. LOTS OF EARLY GLITCHES

4(bonus). They gave us Kotor8)

But Bethesda does tend to give you more freedom of action/choice, even if it is blander action/choice

rumbalumba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rumbalumba
Member since 2011 • 2445 Posts

ehh...Bethesda is overrated anyway.

i like Japanese RPGs more because they do not obsess with realism. sure, fantasy is not reality but fantasy in WRPGs tend to totally mimic lore or whatever. they portray dragons, monsters as you would expect. they care too much about the anatomy of monsters, the reality of the world and the environment.

with Japanese RPGs, you get monsters that is like a mix of a ram and a dog, some crazy mechanics like summoning a giant diety/monster that is not a reference to any lore (think FF games), etc. very unconventional things like those are what i like about JRPGs.

and this becomes more apparent on other genres. with TPS in Japan you get the crazy Vanquish while here we get a realistic Gears (realistic in terms of physics, blood, even animations).

and i know this goes back to the history of art itself. Europeans were obsessing over the most realistic paintings (think Da Vinci, Michelangelo) with proportions of body to be precise, movements, perspecctive, 3D plane, etc. and that same era Japanese paintings looked like caricatures, they never cared about correct body proportion.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
The only good game bethesda has made was morrowind. Bioware has kotor 1,mass effect series and the dragon age series under their belt Bioware wins
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

Bethesda is not as bad as Bioware, but still awful in their own ways.

Combat: Both are pretty bad in this department, but I guess I will hand it to Bioware, some of their games have combat that is actually tactical, like Dragon Age Origins. But I really wish Bioware could give up on RTwP and focus more on turn based combat. With the exception of Guild Wars RTwP has proven again and again to be nothing more than a mess. Oh yeah and Bioware has actually had decent encounter design, like in Baldur's Gate.
Roleplaying: Both make action games these days, with the exception of Origins and even that felt very lackluster in the RPG department, but I will give this to Bioware.
Story: Bioware is cliche and recycle the same plot over and over again. The true kings of cliche (or maybe that should be Naugthy Dog). Bethesda ruined Fallout lore. But overall I would give this to Bioware, because of Baldur's Gate 2 and KotoR
Fun Factor: I actually have fun for a few hours in Bethesda games (usually the first few before I notice all the flaws), whereas I am always bored playing a Bioware game. So I will go with Bethesda here.

Edit: Bethesda are not the best sandbox RPG devs anymore. Piranha Bytes, Taleworlds and Origin Systems are leagues better.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Average presentation values, average story telling, lame combat mechanisms. The only selling point for Bethesda's games is the open sandbox world. Everything else is average or below average.

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
I guess the two companies have two distinct "flavours" in their games. Bioware focuses on story and character development, and Bethesda focuses on exploration and player freedom. I prefer Bioware's style. And also Fallout 3 left a bad taste in my mouth with all its damn bugs. Never bought a Bethesda game after that.
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
BioWare is better at making tradiitonal RPGs, while Bethesda is better at making sandbox-style RPGs. The games they make are vastly different despite both falling under the RPG genre. It's like comparing apples and oranges.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I don't like Bethesda games. RPG aspects of BioWare games needs to be improved nowadays. So I don't really know who to choose.
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
I like Bethesda way better but I would guess more people here would like BioWare just from being here for awhile it seems that everyone thinks Bethesda sucks.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Bethesda hasn't done an RPG since Morrowind.

BioWare has Dragon Age and Mass Effect 1 as RPGs on their side.

Even if BioWare only released one of them this gen they would still be ahead.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

from being here for awhile it seems that everyone thinks Bethesda sucks. chaoz-king

Yet Skyrim is getting hyped like there's no tomorrow.
It's just SW herping the derp.

SteamedBennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SteamedBennet
Member since 2011 • 534 Posts

I only really like 1 game from each company. KOTOR (Bioware) and Fallout 3 (Bethesda). I've played them both through multiple times and enjoy them both a lot so I really can't decide. There both good games in there own right.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#15 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
My God, how do people dislike this generation at all? We have two great developers here that we can have some friendly arguments over. What a great generation for gaming.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes, Bethesda is better than Bioware.

ghostofzabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ghostofzabis
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

Hmm, there are 0 games they make this gen that I love so.... Betheda was better in the 90s; Bioware was better in 2000s.

ethanradd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ethanradd
Member since 2009 • 654 Posts

I prefer Bethesda, love their open worlds, Dragon Age was awesome though, but then again FO3 is my favorite game of all time, soo ...Bethesda wins

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I think you must be joking. Bethesda doesn't have the track record to stand toe to toe with Bioware. I'm not a fan of either though i'll say Bioware is far above Bethesda. Bioware is top 10, wile Bethesda is barely touching top 20.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Bioware are better but they have both been lousy this gen.

Kevz0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kevz0
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts
Bioware is much better but both have made awful games this gen.
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
No , no and no... Mass effect >> Fallout 3 by miles. Nuff said. Even if DA wasnt good to me and i really think SW:TOR will flop , not even skyrim i like , Bioware is the way to go.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Yes they are better easily this is not even a question.

Bioware has been going down lately

Not to mention in terms of dlc..... bioware RARELY gives enough bang for the buck

sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts
Both companies suck.
Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

Depends on whether you like your RPGs tight and well scripted or open and up to you.

Personally I love both kinds, and love both companies and see no reason to put one above the other. I will say right now I'm looking forward to skyrim more than ME3, but that's just because since the last ES game I've played two ME games to death.

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
Bethesda is the king of RPG games I think. Morrowind is still my second favorite game of all time and the Fallout series is very good as well.
Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

Yes, way better. Skyrim will be the icing on the cake.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts

Sagem28

This. I think Bioware makes superior games, of course, but Bethesda has the RPG thing on lock.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

MrSelf-Destruct

This. I think Bioware makes superior games, of course, but Bethesda has the RPG thing on lock.

Oh. dang it. I posted that before remembering Dragon Age 2. :P

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

Bethesda hasn't done an RPG since Morrowind.

BioWare has Dragon Age and Mass Effect 1 as RPGs on their side.

Even if BioWare only released one of them this gen they would still be ahead.

N30F3N1X
Mass Effect counts as more as an RPG to you than Oblivion? What is this I don't even...
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I didn't know either made RPG's anymore.
TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts
Solely concerning RPG elements? Probably, but as game developers overall, Bioware seem to put a tonne more effort into their games than Bethesda, and their QA testers are at least competent, unlike Bethesda's, so I'd say Bioware overall.
padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

You can change the name Bethesda for any other, and the answer will be always no.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

Solely concerning RPG elements? Probably, but as game developers overall, Bioware seem to put a tonne more effort into their games than Bethesda, and their QA testers are at least competent, unlike Bethesda's, so I'd say Bioware overall.TheOtherTheoG

I don't think so. Bethesda creates entire worlds. Bioware juts a couple of corridors separated by loading screens.

There was very little effort involved in DA II.

Or in Mass Effect 2.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts
I didn't know either made RPG's anymore.foxhound_fox
Your right, Bethesda makes Action RPG's, and Bioware makes TPS's :lol:
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Bioware is an RPG developer? o.0

j/k

But in all seriousness, I prefer Bethesda's games, I just love exploring.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14505 Posts

I prefer Bethesda's style of RPG, Bioware's games (particularly Mass Effect) never have got struck a chord with me as far as the RPG aspect of them go.

TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts

[QUOTE="TheOtherTheoG"]Solely concerning RPG elements? Probably, but as game developers overall, Bioware seem to put a tonne more effort into their games than Bethesda, and their QA testers are at least competent, unlike Bethesda's, so I'd say Bioware overall.GeneralShowzer

I don't think so. Bethesda creates entire worlds. Bioware juts a couple of corridors separated by loading screens.

Or in Mass Effect 2.

I guess by effort, I mean polish, the amount of work they put into making the game, well, work, making everything balanced, cinematic and polished to a massive extent (well, excluding DA2). There's more to 'effort' than simply level design, something which I'll admit Bioware has never been very good at.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Mass Effect counts as more as an RPG to you than Oblivion? What is this I don't even...shakmaster13

Yeah, it does. You know, actually knowing what "RPG" stands for would help understanding my PoV ;)

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
Bathesda owns Bioware on many levels, gone are the days of kotor and Jade empire.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

bioware is better, the rpgs they made so far are epic, they had a few bad ones, but most are really good, im just worried with the direction they are taking, i hope dragon age 2 is just an isolated mistake and not a new policy on fooling their fanbase.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#42 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

BioWare.

Although the quality is down from a few years ago, they still put a focus on writing and immersing a player into a world through that writing. Bethesda's efforts are far more amateur in comparison. Remember how many times those pointless conversations about mud crabs were repeated in Oblivion? A good RPG should always immerse a player into a fictional world, and allow him or her to assume a fictional role far more easily. BioWare does that, Bethesda does not.

Bestheda's games are slightly better in terms of exploration and gameplay, however.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

[QUOTE="TheOtherTheoG"]Solely concerning RPG elements? Probably, but as game developers overall, Bioware seem to put a tonne more effort into their games than Bethesda, and their QA testers are at least competent, unlike Bethesda's, so I'd say Bioware overall.TheOtherTheoG

Or in Mass Effect 2.

I guess by effort, I mean polish, the amount of work they put into making the game, well, work, making everything balanced, cinematic and polished to a massive extent (well, excluding DA2). There's more to 'effort' than simply level design, something which I'll admit Bioware has never been very good at.

I too am reffering to the ammount of work they put in a game. Bethesda puts a lot more into it. I have still to see a Bioware game with day/night cycles, NPC's that aren't static and mechanical, and everything not instanced and split by a loading screen.

If you are reffering to Mass Effect 2, it was too shallow to be imbalanced and too simple to be unpolished.I still got stuck in walls regulary though.

Ill give you cinematic, not that it means anything to me.

DA:O and Mass Effect had a lot of effort into them. But not their latest games.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#44 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts
Bathesda owns Bioware on many levels, gone are the days of kotor and Jade empire.lbjkurono23
And even longer are the days of BG2,wich was very much Bioware at their prime.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

[QUOTE="TheOtherTheoG"]Solely concerning RPG elements? Probably, but as game developers overall, Bioware seem to put a tonne more effort into their games than Bethesda, and their QA testers are at least competent, unlike Bethesda's, so I'd say Bioware overall.TheOtherTheoG

Or in Mass Effect 2.

You mean all the times I got stuck in the air thanks in Mass Effect 2 counts as polish? Or the terrible balance between classes? Or the beyond awful balance in DAO with redicilously overpowered spells like cone of cold and the general overpoweredness of mages. The Bioware games I have played are far from balanced, and the encounter design too is redicilously bad these days, with Dragon Age Origins being the epitome of terrible encounter design.

The only thing Bioware does well these days is storytelling and designing expansive universes. They do terrible choices and consequences, terrible map design, weak stories (especially plots), weak roleplaying and combat is usually pretty bad (DAO's was ok though, but got repetitive fast), side quests are also uninspired.

I could also mention that they do characterization very well at times. Tali, Garrus, Wrex, Legion are all great characters. But others, well I can just say I wish I could forget some of the cast in both ME1+2 and DAO.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
only games ive played from those devs are mass effect and fallout 3.. and i hated fallout 3. Not that mass effect is that great either...but way better than fallout 3. Eidos montreal > both :P
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
bioware is no longer in there prime nowdays they are all about being hack and slash or fast past shooters with very light rpg elements in less exploration and more go from point a to b but sure they make good stories but thats where it ends they are slowly leaving rpg games. and bethesda make games with huge open worlds and have great rpg elements
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I've found Bethesda games boring, Dragon Age however is really good. So my vote goes to Bioware oh and Star Wars TOR is looking good so another plus for me.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

Yes. By a lot.

Back when Bioware made KOTOR they were arguably better but Bioware has declined and fast over the last few years.

Skyrim simply looks fantastic. Bethesda is on an upwards spiral.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21711 Posts

I find everything Bethesda does to be bland and dry as hell. BioWare games are miles more enjoyable.