is Arcade 360 worth buying?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

boychat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 boychat
Member since 2006 • 560 Posts

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29845

USD 279 with five XBLA games

After months of speculation Microsoft has finally confirmed the existence of a new Xbox 360 SKU as the Arcade bundle goes on sale in stores across the US.

Retailing for USD 279.99 the Xbox 360 Arcade is designed to appeal to family groups and comes with five Xbox Live Arcade favourites, a wireless controller, HDMI cable and 256 MB of memory.

martin_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 martin_f
Member since 2005 • 2605 Posts
Not an SKU its a Bundle.
zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 zero_snake99
Member since 2004 • 3478 Posts
Nope, Id rather pay 100 bucks more to upgrade from garbage to commodity.
The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Crucible
Member since 2007 • 3305 Posts

Not for me. I don't play old games. And even if i did, there would come a time when I'd like to play all of the new ones. And sooner or later I will need a HDD to do so.

Oh, loems will deny this. They will say you don't need an HDD to play today's games. They are wrong. Without high-capacity disc media, the HDD will be a "sure thing" when it comes to being needed for big games.

And if I didn't care about new games, I would buy a Wii. You get some of the best old games available and no threat of missing out due to HDD. Plus, the Wii is cheaper.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
Besides the price, what exactly is the benefit here? Is this specifically for people who want a 360 but don't plan on using a harddrive for Live? I'm not trying to play dumb.My daughter is already asking for a 360 for Xmas, and I'm debating on which version to pick up.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Not for me. I don't play old games. And even if i did, there would come a time when I'd like to play all of the new ones. And sooner or later I will need a HDD to do so.

Oh, loems will deny this. They will say you don't need an HDD to play today's games. They are wrong. Without high-capacity disc media, the HDD will be a "sure thing" when it comes to being needed for big games.

And if I didn't care about new games, I would buy a Wii. You get some of the best old games available and no threat of missing out due to HDD. Plus, the Wii is cheaper.

The_Crucible

Really, you don't need an HDD, no matter how much you claim to see into the future.

And XBLA is mostly new IPs and games, not just retro games.

mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts

the only thing 360 arcade lacks is HDD, other then that i would deffo get it coz it has Flacon chip meaning less problems (well i dont have problems with my current 360 but some people do) and for HDTV users, it has HDMI + some good arcade games + wireless controller.......i would deffo get it then later get a HDD 20 ro 120 gig seperatley

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SpruceCaboose

Oh, and on topic...

Xbox 360 Premium = the real 360. I suggest that version if you are thinking about a 360, especially with two free games this holiday.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts
Isnt other 360 comes with 512 megs of ram?
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44320 Posts

It's a great deal !

Pick up a 20 gig HDD and snap you have a 360 Pro with 5 free games and a mem card to boot.

At 279.99 for a true this gen. console; MS will sell a boat load of these.

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Crucible
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"]

SpruceCaboose

Really, you don't need an HDD, no matter how much you claim to see into the future.

And XBLA is mostly new IPs and games, not just retro games.

Yeah, great new IP's limited due to non-standard HDD. Right? MS limits the DL game sizes because of the non-standard HDD?

And you seriously don't think the DVD/non-standard HDD issue won't come to light? You don't think the lack of storage is going to hurt 360 in either lesser games or some 360 owners missing out? Seriously? I find that a little ignorant.

Once again, Wii is the better option. All Wii's are without an HDD. Therefore, there's no risk in not being able to have the full Wii experience due to lack of hardware.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SpruceCaboose

Isnt other 360 comes with 512 megs of ram? ni6htmare01

That would be every 360 since launch.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpruceCaboose

Yeah, great new IP's limited due to non-standard HDD. Right? MS limits the DL game sizes because of the non-standard HDD?

And you seriously don't think the DVD/non-standard HDD issue won't come to light? You don't think the lack of storage is going to hurt 360 in either lesser games or some 360 owners missing out? Seriously? I find that a little ignorant.

Once again, Wii is the better option. All Wii's are without an HDD. Therefore, there's no risk in not being able to have the full Wii experience due to lack of hardware.

The_Crucible

No, MS limits download size so that they will be small, light downloads.

And the limit on game size is well over the size of a mem card, so you wouldn't be able to download some of them without one anyway.

And seriously, if Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2, TF2, and Portal fit on a single DVD, and Mass Effect can as well, I see no evidence that DVD is anything less than adequate this generation.

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Crucible
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"]

SpruceCaboose

No, MS limits download size so that they will be small, light downloads.

And the limit on game size is well over the size of a mem card, so you wouldn't be able to download some of them without one anyway.

And seriously, if Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2, TF2, and Portal fit on a single DVD, and Mass Effect can as well, I see no evidence that DVD is anything less than adequate this generation.

Right, they only limit them so its a smooth running XBL. Right. And not because fo your second point, in that they would want to make as many games as possible availble to non-HDD owners. Not to mention how your second point proves mine. You get the 360-arcade, you miss out.

And, yeah, name those 360 titles. You have no idea what they would have been if allowed the extra room. And you ignore devs that have come out saying DVD is limiting. Not to mention the increase of those complaints as time goes on and these games are pushed further. Ever compare a launch title to a title released in a console's final year? Yeah, huge difference.

How much juice can they squeeze from the 360 before it runs dry?

boychat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 boychat
Member since 2006 • 560 Posts
right now, how many 360 games require HDD?
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SpruceCaboose

And, yeah, name those 360 titles. You have no idea what they would have been if allowed the extra room. And you ignore devs that have come out saying DVD is limiting. Not to mention the increase of those complaints as time goes on and these games are pushed further. Ever compare a launch title to a title released in a console's final year? Yeah, huge difference.

The_Crucible

And you are missing all the devs that come out and say that the PS3's memory architecture is a bottle neck and its very difficult to program for.

When you try and make it seem like any one platform is flawless, you end up looking silly.

None of the systems are perfect. All of them have huge flaws. Would I have paid an extra $100-$200 for the 360 to use HD-DVD discs? Heck no, and I doubt most people would have.

I would never have bought the PS3 if I didn't get it for $350, since anything over $400 is outrageous for a game system.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#17 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Oh, and on topic...

Xbox 360 Premium = the real 360. I suggest that version if you are thinking about a 360, especially with two free games this holiday.

SpruceCaboose
That is an amazing deal. I agree.
D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 D_Znuhtz
Member since 2004 • 2276 Posts

Not an SKU its a Bundle.martin_f

No, it's a SKU.

A SKU is a Stock Keeping Unit, which means every time a new bundle launches it comes with a new SKU number. The Holiday Bundles are separate SKU's too.

Either learn what a SKU is before throwing the word around, or call them 'models' or some other word.

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 D_Znuhtz
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"]

SpruceCaboose

And you are missing all the devs that come out and say that the PS3's memory architecture is a bottle neck and its very difficult to program for.

When you try and make it seem like any one platform is flawless, you end up looking silly.

None of the systems are perfect. All of them have huge flaws. Would I have paid an extra $100-$200 for the 360 to use HD-DVD discs? Heck no, and I doubt most people would have.

I would never have bought the PS3 if I didn't get it for $350, since anything over $400 is outrageous for a game system.

How much of a bottleneck is the RAM though? Do you think a lot of 360 games are using 400 MB of GPU RAM and 112 MB for everything else?

They can switch it around, but how much does it really affect anything? It might give them a bit more leeway, but how significant is it?

WSP87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WSP87
Member since 2006 • 667 Posts
I thought the arcade 360 game with 5 DEMOs (correct me if im wrong). Either way this is a terrible idea for a sku (just like ps3 40gig wtf sony?). Get a premium at least.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SpruceCaboose

How much of a bottleneck is the RAM though? Do you think a lot of 360 games are using 400 MB of GPU RAM and 112 MB for everything else?

They can switch it around, but how much does it really affect anything? It might give them a bit more leeway, but how significant is it?

D_Znuhtz

I was not really arguing about the memory. I couldn't care less, as its devs problems to figure out, not mine. I was merely pointing out that developers will whine and moan about anything that they feel to be a challenge to them, as that is human nature and no design platform is perfect.

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 D_Znuhtz
[QUOTE="D_Znuhtz"]

SpruceCaboose

I was not really arguing about the memory. I could care less, as its devs problems to figure out, not mine. I was merely pointing out that developers will whine and moan about anything that they feel to be a challenge to them, as that is human nature and no design platform is perfect.

You could care less = you do care.

You couldn't care less. ;)

I wasn't asking as an attack, and I know devs like to whine. I just hear that "PS3 bottleneck" argument a lot, and if everything works the way these boards lay it out (PS3 is assigned 256 for system RAM and 256 for GPU, while the 360 has 512 it can assign where it's needed), I don't see how it makes much difference. You are going to end up splitting them pretty evenly anyway, unless one aspect of the game is severely lacking.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="D_Znuhtz"]

D_Znuhtz

I was not really arguing about the memory. I could care less, as its devs problems to figure out, not mine. I was merely pointing out that developers will whine and moan about anything that they feel to be a challenge to them, as that is human nature and no design platform is perfect.

I wasn't asking as an attack, and I know devs like to whine. I just hear that "PS3 bottleneck" argument a lot, and if everything works the way these boards lay it out (PS3 is assigned 256 for system RAM and 256 for GPU, while the 360 has 512 it can assign where it's needed), I don't see how it makes much difference. You are going to end up splitting them pretty evenly anyway, unless one aspect of the game is severely lacking.

Ha! I fixed it before you corrected me! :P

I have yet to see anything on either system that made me say, "Wow, my other system couldn't do that!" I just don't see all this difference that everyone is talking about.

Each system is great for what it offers, Wii included. Each has different games and a different experience, and I don't see how a gamer could look out and say, "That system has nothing that looks good to me." There is just great games out and coming for all platforms.

Its been a great 2007 to be a gamer, and 2008 looks great as well. I am very excited about it.

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 D_Znuhtz
[QUOTE="D_Znuhtz"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="D_Znuhtz"]

SpruceCaboose

Ha! I fixed it before you corrected me! :P

I have yet to see anything on either system that made me say, "Wow, my other system couldn't do that!" I just don't see all this difference that everyone is talking about.

Each system is great for what it offers, Wii included. Each has different games and a different experience, and I don't see how a gamer could look out and say, "That system has nothing that looks good to me." There is just great games out and coming for all platforms.

Its been a great 2007 to be a gamer, and 2008 looks great as well. I am very excited about it.

Agreed 100%. Signed and co-signed.

I'm going to buy my 360 this Xmas and the Wii sometime in 2008 so I don't miss any of this gaming goodness.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

NO.

*spits*

trash it is.
Doesent even include full arcade games.

As far as im concerned the 360 Pro is the best console - value for money - no question.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12073 Posts

If you are into playing great games at an affordable price, then yes. The Arcade bundle is going to sell like hotcakes this holiday season. Casuals are not into playing online, they don't care about HD, all they care about is Madden, GTA, Halo, and a good racing game. If casuals cared about any of the other things the Wii would not be selling the way it is.

Msoft comes out on top this holiday season.

Bank on it.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12073 Posts

NO.

*spits*

trash it is.

As far as im concerned the 360 Pro is the best console - value for money - no question.

skrat_01

It has the full arcade games and 5 demos as well.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/10/22/officially-announcing-the-xbox-360-arcade-finally.aspx

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

NO.

*spits*

trash it is.

kuu2

http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/10/22/officially-announcing-the-xbox-360-arcade-finally.aspx

In surprised - All the gaming blogs had stuff up on that it only came with 5 arcade trials - no full games.
Heck im sure I can find the Kotaku, Joystiq, and Destructiod links...
svp0123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 svp0123
Member since 2006 • 689 Posts

for $25 bucks more than the wii. you would have to be an idiot to get the wii over the 360 especially if you have a HDTV. HDMI cable cost $50 by itself, and you also get a wireless controller and a 256MB memory card and 5 XBL games.

H8s2spooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 H8s2spooge
Member since 2006 • 650 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

Oh, and on topic...

musicalmac
That is an amazing deal. I agree.

Apparently you've never been in a Fry's. This same bundle has existed for $379 for like,9 months now.

The falconrevision "might" alleviate "some" ofthe hardware problems... but regardless of this "fix"... youwould have to be the biggest tool on the planet to buy a 360 "arcade", over a premium, or 40 gig ps3... orwii.
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts
This bundle is for Casuals... so most people here won't be into it. This is for people who wanna play Halo and Madden and GTA and then go out to the mall and see their baby mama's and then skip class to ride donkeys across the moon and then..............................
Just_Osmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Just_Osmo
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts
[QUOTE="kuu2"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

NO.

*spits*

trash it is.

skrat_01

In surprised - All the gaming blogs had stuff up on that it only came with 5 arcade trials - no full games.
Heck im sure I can find the Kotaku, Joystiq, and Destructiod links...

They didn't read the packages correctly. If you look at them it says 5 Full Arcade games PLUS 5 Trial games.

Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts
Well consitering that for $10 more then a price of a game you can get the 360 Pro that comes with two games. Its really a no brainer. Why MS is trying to sell this in the States is beyond me, in smaller countries where broadband isn't very wide spread i can see this sku makingsense but it shouldn't even be seen in the US.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice

If you are into playing great games at an affordable price, then yes. The Arcade bundle is going to sell like hotcakes this holiday season. Casuals are not into playing online, they don't care about HD, all they care about is Madden, GTA, Halo, and a good racing game. If casuals cared about any of the other things the Wii would not be selling the way it is.

Bank on it.

kuu2
Nice logic and good post - agreed.
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kcpp2b

Bank on it.

kuu2

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you play Madden and Halo 3 online with out the big HD? I mean you don't have to download anything to play those games, just go online and play. Can't download new Halo 3 maps in the future no though...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Really, you don't need an HDD, no matter how much you claim to see into the future.SpruceCaboose
Demos DLC?

What about the extra content for Oblivion and GTAIV and such?

gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts

for $25 bucks more than the wii. you would have to be an idiot to get the wii over the 360 especially if you have a HDTV. HDMI cable cost $50 by itself, and you also get a wireless controller and a 256MB memory card and 5 XBL games.

svp0123

But...the 360 doesnt come with HDMI cables. Besides, you can get them for $15 if you know where to look.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="svp0123"]

gromit007

But...the 360 doesnt come with HDMI cables. Besides, you can get them for $15 if you know where to look.

Lol, here's one for $1.00 not including shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Feet-Super-Resolution-Cable/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-1843377-8785432?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193158714&sr=8-1

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts
not unless your one of the many that still don't have a 360, even then,it a bad deal. even if it is 279
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kcpp2b

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Really, you don't need an HDD, no matter how much you claim to see into the future.Jandurin

Demos DLC?

Again this is for casuals mostly and I don't think casuals are dying to play demos so that's why they pay less for this Bundle / SKU.

Also Oblivion I believe is having a GOTY edition aren't they? Like how Halo 2 sold the bonus maps on a disc same can be done here for oblivion and GTAIV

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kcpp2b

not unless your one of the many that still don't have a 360, even then,it a bad deal. even if it is 279mlbslugger86

Nope, great deal for Casuals... and that's all there is to it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Also Oblivion I believe is having a GOTY edition aren't they? Like how Halo 2 sold the bonus maps on a disc same can be done here for oblivion and GTAIV kcpp2b
you still need hard drive space. it considers it as a download. I know, I just bought it. :P
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice
[QUOTE="Jandurin"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Really, you don't need an HDD, no matter how much you claim to see into the future.kcpp2b

Demos DLC?

Again this is for casuals mostly and I don't think casuals are dying to play demos so that's why they pay less for this Bundle / SKU.

Also Oblivion I believe is having a GOTY edition aren't they? Like how Halo 2 sold the bonus maps on a disc same can be done here for oblivion and GTAIV

Yes, yes, & yes - you have it right. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="kcpp2b"][QUOTE="Jandurin"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Really, you don't need an HDD, no matter how much you claim to see into the future.SecretPolice

Demos DLC?

Read my post. :P

You need HD space for the GOTY edition stuff.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SecretPolice
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"][QUOTE="kcpp2b"][QUOTE="Jandurin"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Really, you don't need an HDD, no matter how much you claim to see into the future.Jandurin

Demos DLC?

Read my post. :P

You need HD space for the GOTY edition stuff.

I don't get it - that sounds silly. :P
Avatar image for hairy_bubblegum
hairy_bubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hairy_bubblegum
Member since 2005 • 671 Posts
a 360 of ANY flavor isn't worth getting. Especially with the recent PS3 price drops. It just makes sense to get a PS3 instead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
I don't get it - that sounds silly. :PSecretPolice
basically, you get two discs with the GOTY edition. One basic Oblivion disc like what comes in the normal Oblivion case, and one disc with Shivering Isles and the other expansion. It (much like the PS3) downloads the expansions from the one disc (just as if you had downloaded them) and uses the base Oblivion disc as the play disc.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]I don't get it - that sounds silly. :PJandurin
basically, you get two discs with the GOTY edition. One basic Oblivion disc like what comes in the normal Oblivion case, and one disc with Shivering Isles and the other expansion. It (much like the PS3) downloads the expansions from the one disc (just as if you had downloaded them) and uses the base Oblivion disc as the play disc.

Oh darn I feel I made you type out what I already knew. :lol:

I was just acting like some typical S.W. posters. ;)