Is a 3DS worth it for a Square Enix RPG fan who has not played any DS games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RocketJet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 RocketJet
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Hey Im a huge fan of Square-Enix RPGS and have played all of the Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, and Valkyrie Profile games on the Sony consoles. I have not owned a Nintendo console before thinking that Playstation was better but over the past few years, Square released a bunch of regular DS games that look kinda cool. And now with the 3DS who has a unknown future, it has sounded very attractive with Kingdom Hearts 3D and a possible Final Fantasy V and VI remake. Do you think its worth it? If I were to get a 3DS, I would start with these regular DS games

1) Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

2) Kingdom Hearts 382/65 Days

4) Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded

5) Final Fantasy III

6) Final Fantasy: The 4 Heros of light

7) Final Fantasy XII: Revenant WIngs

8) FInal Fantasy Tactics A2

So what is your take? IS this system and are these games worth it? Especially to someone like me who has been playing PS1, PS2, PSP, and PS3 RPGs?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Add The world ends with you to that list and I say yes.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
You would have a hug backlog of games to go through, so yes it would be a good idea to get a 3DS (plus with the all the great games coming around the corner).
RocketJet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RocketJet
well I would eventually pick up the World Ends with You and Chrono Trigger. Im just making sure the softwear makes the hardware worth it like the Square games on the Sony consoles
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts
I'd wait for a other price drop or redesign, the money you'd save could buy you a good number of the older of those games, and theredesignwouldbe better anyways. Unless you really want to play some then I'd suggest being patient as they won't be going anywhere.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Put Dragon Quest up there too and then you have a definite yes.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#7 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Yes there are TONS of great games on teh DS

RocketJet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RocketJet
well this is my last christmas before college so ya...and there just was a price drop so...ya. Im really not that interested in Dragon Quest is it is the plot that interests me more than the dungeons and gameplay. So the games I mentioned are worth it?
93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Of course.

PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts

It's not worth it if you have no interest whatsoever in any 3DS games ('cause then you can just get a DS Lite or DSi instead for cheaper), but otherwise I say yeah, go for it. There are likely to be at least a few good RPGs for the 3DS coming out soon.

And although I could never get into it, people LOVE The World Ends With You.

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 minh800
Member since 2011 • 1166 Posts

Tactics A2 is probably my least favorite Tactics game. Obviously it can't hold a candle to the first game but I even thought TA on the GBA was more enjoyable.

FF3 is annoying because of the lack of save points in the dungeon. FF4's pretty much superior in every way. I'd buy that instead.

Re: coded is bad from what I hear, and The 4 Heroes of Light (also from what I hear) is wasted potential. The battle system annoyed quite a few people.

358/2 days is pretty good. I liked the story (even though it was sluggish) but the gameplay doesn't hold up to BbS. I think the camera was hard to control but it's been a while.

I've heard mixed things on Valkyrie Profile and Revenant wings.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

both KH and 12:RW are horrible IMO, rest is pretty good, but bad comprared to the world ends with you, you really really need to get that game, on of the best this gen. Also there are tons of RPGs from other companies that are worth checking out like Suikoden Tierkreis

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

I would say yes it's worth it, plus if you liked all of Square's games you should give Tales of the Abyss 3DS a shot when it comes out. I'm sure the 3DS is gonna stick around, it just needs time to get more games. I remember the DS had a dry library of games for a long while as well, plus you might want to check out Golden Sun for the DS too. Actually, theres an entire collection of RPG's on the DS from many other developers and chances are that if you like Squares games you will like many of these as well. You could literally be playing RPG's for years just off the DS backlog.

RocketJet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RocketJet

the problem is im also interested in Vita because of its games too. Is there any chance that Square is developing FFV and VI for 3DS? EVen if not, can anyone who has played Squares games on the Playstation tell me how the Nintendo ones compare? Ive already played FF's 1,2,4,6 which are NIntendo classics on Playstation consoles so is it still worth it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Honestly, at this point, the 3DS is worth it period.
RocketJet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RocketJet

But i wouldnt be getting it to play all the stuff it has right now. I would be playing it to be able to play all the Square games i missed out on and those coming soon: ie: Kingdom Hearts 3D

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Yes, there is huge library of great SE games on the DS

And the 3DS by far has the most support from SE for the next year with Heroes of Ruin, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, and Kingdom Hearts 3D.

I'm thinking it will be a lot like the DS/PSP. Every time the PSP got one or two interesting SE games, the DS would get like 5.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bonesawisready5

the problem is im also interested in Vita because of its games too. Is there any chance that Square is developing FFV and VI for 3DS? EVen if not, can anyone who has played Squares games on the Playstation tell me how the Nintendo ones compare? Ive already played FF's 1,2,4,6 which are NIntendo classics on Playstation consoles so is it still worth it?

RocketJet

The 3DS is going to outsell the Vita by a wide margin, the 3DS clearly has the japanese market on lock for the near future, and the DS got much more support and new IPs from SE than the PSP did (the psp did receive some cool stuff)

The fact that SE has a like two new IPs, and a KH for the 3DS already coming out in 2012 should say something.

But if you want the Vita for its announced games, then get it instead. The Vita is launching late and will have to work hard to gain third party interest

DressSage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DressSage
Member since 2011 • 145 Posts

its better than getting a normal DS now. for like $40 more you can play 3DS games that come out in the future, and square always makes games for Nintendo handhelds.

stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts

don't buy a next gen system just to play last gen games, especially when that system is still widely available cheaper. That being said Squeenix has already announced a game for 3DS. No news on whether or not it'll release outside of Japan though. Japanese devs don't seem to have much hope for the dedicated handheld market in the west (the US in particular) and are trying to correct this by not releasing any games here...

"But it's Squeenix! They always release their games worldwide!" Well, you have Final Fantasy Type-0 that is already out in Japan with no announcement for releasing elsewhere. If Squeenix won't bring a Final Fantasy game over then I think it's wise to be a little skeptical about future releases. Also the 3DS is region-locked so even imports are out of the question.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Yes, I would say so.
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#23 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Of course go for it, the DS has tons of Square RPGs and TWEWY is your best pick best RPG on the DS by far.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts
Yes. You just missed the place for RPG's this generation, and if you are a fan of RPG's, you may want a 3DS.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bonesawisready5

don't buy a next gen system just to play last gen games, especially when that system is still widely available cheaper. That being said Squeenix has already announced a game for 3DS. No news on whether or not it'll release outside of Japan though. Japanese devs don't seem to have much hope for the dedicated handheld market in the west (the US in particular) and are trying to correct this by not releasing any games here...

"But it's Squeenix! They always release their games worldwide!" Well, you have Final Fantasy Type-0 that is already out in Japan with no announcement for releasing elsewhere. If Squeenix won't bring a Final Fantasy game over then I think it's wise to be a little skeptical about future releases. Also the 3DS is region-locked so even imports are out of the question.

stizz-

That's because software sakes on the PSP outside of Japan are terrible. It isn't about Squeenix not localising games, they're publishing Heroes of Ruin, a new IP developed by N-Space, and its confirmed for America. So is Kingdom Hearts 3D, and That rhythm Final Fantasy game isn't likely far behind.

Rocket Slime 3 is likely coming out next year in the US as well.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Might as well get one, they're cheap now, and there's no point in getting the regular DS now, because a couple more bucks nets you a 3DS to get all those awesome games coming out.