iPhone is undisputed king of graphics on portables. [New Screens]

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Christian_Bale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Christian_Bale
Member since 2010 • 32 Posts
Infinity Blade from Epic Games... http://toucharcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/infblade_101102_1.jpg http://toucharcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/infblade_101102_2.jpg http://toucharcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/infblade_101102_3.jpg http://toucharcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/infblade_101102_4.jpg Thanks to Unreal Engine 3 on a phone! And may I add that it runs at 960x640 which looks gorgeous on the iPhone screen. Can't post pictures yet so if anyone can repost. And those aren't bullshots, the screens only have been upscaled. If you don't believe me check out videos of the demo "Epic Citadel".
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

I can't really go against this. The res and graphics as a whole are better than DS, on par if not better at times than PSP, and though 3DS games look very nice the low resolution will probably hold them back too IMO.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
It looks good but I really don't care. 3DS is more interesting to me.
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

its had the best year for portable games imo too. over the PSP and DS.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Infinity Blade from Epic Games... http://toucharcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/infblade_101102_1.jpg http://toucharcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/infblade_101102_2.jpg http://toucharcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/infblade_101102_3.jpg http://toucharcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/infblade_101102_4.jpg Thanks to Unreal Engine 3 on a phone! And may I add that it runs at 960x640 which looks gorgeous on the iPhone screen. Can't post pictures yet so if anyone can repost.Christian_Bale

The problem is that they still don't look that great. Perhaps they are technically better than other portables, but in reality my eyes are already adjusted to the graphics of the newer consoles/pc games. There's more to a portable than great graphics, as time as repeatedly shown. The most exciting part of the 3DS is what developers will use that extra control space for.

Also, back to technicalities, I am still more impressed with the visuals on the 3DS--they just look better to me.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
The iPhone is also made by a horrible company - No buttons = don't want. The only kind of games that the iPhone is good for are simple, pick-up and play games that you play for 20-30 minutes. Things like angry birds. Otherwise, I don't care.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Lol, whatever that counts for.

Last I checked, the DS greatly outsold and had more quality games than its much higher-spec competitor.

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dog_dirt
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]The iPhone is also made by a horrible company - No buttons = don't want. The only kind of games that the iPhone is good for are simple, pick-up and play games that you play for 20-30 minutes. Things like angry birds. Otherwise, I don't care.

athough it would seem that thats what most people want from mobile gaming. hence the massive sales figures of apps
Leo-Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Leo-Magic
Member since 2005 • 3025 Posts
this game makes PSP a piece of gabage.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Errr....something about those screens looks very very weird to me.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Well..it is heavily downraged version of UE3.0, nowhere near even the first version that was out when the gen started, let alone modern ones.

Still, mighty impressive for a mobile platform.

I just wish iPad games wouldn't look like utter garbage

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

Looks ok.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Yet, I still prefer my DS...

AL_GREEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AL_GREEN
Member since 2010 • 953 Posts
As an iPhone owner who loves the **** out of my iPhone im going to say this... lol @ iPhone games
AL_GREEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AL_GREEN
also playing a game like that would kill the battery within 30 minutes
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

Can you buy this game right now?

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

I'm not going to lie, those shots are even comparable to some low-end 360/PS3 games but the lack of physical controls is what brings gaming on iPhone to a failure.

Also it's not the most powerful handheld, Android's Galaxy S series of phones have better graphics than iOS4.

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dog_dirt
[QUOTE="AL_GREEN"]As an iPhone owner who loves the **** out of my iPhone im going to say this... lol @ iPhone games

your playing the wrong iphone games then. cos as a fellow iphone owner i've had bags of fun playing games on it this year. game dev story is maybe my most played game this last few weeks and cut the rope is just genius.
Christian_Bale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Christian_Bale
lol @ comments like "looks ok". Have you forgotten this is a phone? You can easily compare those graphics with some xbox 360/ps3 games. And btw, I'm tired of this old "no buttons, simple 5 minute games" arguments. Right now I am hooked on the Modern Combat 2 which is the equivalent of Modern Warfare 2 but on the iPhone. And the controls are very PC like they work so well I even forget I'm playing on an iPhone sometime. Pick up an iPhone for an hour and play this game online and I dare you to say it's not for "serious gaming". Just the huge online community proves the iPhone is a serious contender and btw it's beating DS sales atm so yeah.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blazerdt47

lol @ comments like "looks ok". Have you forgotten this is a phone? You can easily compare those graphics with some xbox 360/ps3 games. And btw, I'm tired of this old "no buttons, simple 5 minute games" arguments. Right now I am hooked on the Modern Combat 2 which is the equivalent of Modern Warfare 2 but on the iPhone. And the controls are very PC like they work so well I even forget I'm playing on an iPhone sometime. Pick up an iPhone for an hour and play this game online and I dare you to say it's not for "serious gaming". Just the huge online community proves the iPhone is a serious contender and btw it's beating DS sales atm so yeah. Christian_Bale

lol @ comment iPhone is for serious gaming. :lol:

Christian_Bale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Christian_Bale

[QUOTE="Christian_Bale"]lol @ comments like "looks ok". Have you forgotten this is a phone? You can easily compare those graphics with some xbox 360/ps3 games. And btw, I'm tired of this old "no buttons, simple 5 minute games" arguments. Right now I am hooked on the Modern Combat 2 which is the equivalent of Modern Warfare 2 but on the iPhone. And the controls are very PC like they work so well I even forget I'm playing on an iPhone sometime. Pick up an iPhone for an hour and play this game online and I dare you to say it's not for "serious gaming". Just the huge online community proves the iPhone is a serious contender and btw it's beating DS sales atm so yeah. Blazerdt47

then I should say lol @ kiddies playing DS on the bus?
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
looks pretty good but iphone is still garbage though not a real gaming device
Christian_Bale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Christian_Bale
looks pretty good but iphone is still garbage though not a real gaming deviceFILIPINOMAZTER
same old **** argument by people who never played good games on the iPhone.
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dog_dirt

[QUOTE="Christian_Bale"]lol @ comments like "looks ok". Have you forgotten this is a phone? You can easily compare those graphics with some xbox 360/ps3 games. And btw, I'm tired of this old "no buttons, simple 5 minute games" arguments. Right now I am hooked on the Modern Combat 2 which is the equivalent of Modern Warfare 2 but on the iPhone. And the controls are very PC like they work so well I even forget I'm playing on an iPhone sometime. Pick up an iPhone for an hour and play this game online and I dare you to say it's not for "serious gaming". Just the huge online community proves the iPhone is a serious contender and btw it's beating DS sales atm so yeah. Blazerdt47

lol@ thinking gaming is serious
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Cool, have fun putting your fingers all over that screen.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blazerdt47

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="Christian_Bale"]lol @ comments like "looks ok". Have you forgotten this is a phone? You can easily compare those graphics with some xbox 360/ps3 games. And btw, I'm tired of this old "no buttons, simple 5 minute games" arguments. Right now I am hooked on the Modern Combat 2 which is the equivalent of Modern Warfare 2 but on the iPhone. And the controls are very PC like they work so well I even forget I'm playing on an iPhone sometime. Pick up an iPhone for an hour and play this game online and I dare you to say it's not for "serious gaming". Just the huge online community proves the iPhone is a serious contender and btw it's beating DS sales atm so yeah. dog_dirt

lol @ your on a gaming forum. :lol:

Christian_Bale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Christian_Bale
Cool, have fun putting your fingers all over that screen.OreoMilkshake
The point of gaming is having fun. I am having fun with Modern Combat 2 online on my iPhone atm. If you took your time to play a good game on an iPhone and didn't like your experience, its ok. But kids saying it's **** just because they can't afford it should stfu.
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dog_dirt

[QUOTE="dog_dirt"][QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

Blazerdt47

what kind of come back is that?
Christian_Bale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Christian_Bale

[QUOTE="dog_dirt"][QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

Blazerdt47

lol @ you spending so much time on these forums thinking it makes it serious.
Wii4Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wii4Fun
Member since 2008 • 1472 Posts

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Cool, have fun putting your fingers all over that screen.Christian_Bale
The point of gaming is having fun. I am having fun with Modern Combat 2 online on my iPhone atm.If you took your time to play a good game on an iPhone and didn't like your experience, its ok. But kids sayingit's **** just because they can't afford it should stfu.

Amen brother.

I don't have an Iphone, nor can I afford one at the moment, but I get where you are coming from even though portable gaming isn't my thing.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Lol at the people saying it doesn't look good...it looks awesome for a handheld.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Here's comments from a recent interview with the game (Infinity Blade's) developer [link]:

------

Epic believes that it could be possible to put a game the size of Gears of War on the iPhone in as little as two years time.

Donald Mustard, creative director at Epic subsidiary Chair Entertainment, is currently developing the just-announced Infinity Blade for the iPhone – the first mobile game to run off the Unreal Engine. Like many gamers, he was reluctant to see Apple's smartphone as a proper gaming machine. Not any more.

"I didn't take it that seriously until we started making this game," he explained. "Now I'm like, 'Oh my goodness, this is literally going to be the best looking handheld game ever made'. It's way beyond what a DS or PSP could do.

"I think it's going to be an interesting future, especially if in two years we can really run Gears of War on an iPhone."

Donald continued, "We've just been blown away by the amount of graphical power that we can be pushing through these tiny little devices that are in all our pockets.

"That's one of the reasons why Epic are so interested in getting their engine onto these devices. Projecting out three or four years into the future, if the current trends stay true, these devices are going to be just as powerful as the Xbox 360. We'll have a truly powerful console just sitting in all of our pockets.

"If that's the case, there's going be a lot more high-end games on the iPhone. We're just on the cusp of that. It's exciting.

Donald went on to reveal that Epic has had huge interest from other developers over licensing the Unreal Engine for iPhone development since the reveal of the Epic Citadel tech demo last month, both for original IPs and for porting existing titles.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blazerdt47

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="dog_dirt"]lol@ thinking gaming is serious dog_dirt

what kind of come back is that?

Your on a gaming forum, which is focused on serious gaming. Not many casuals would get on a gaming forum and register to post. So for you to say lol @ me thinking gaming is serious your just being hypocritical.

AL_GREEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AL_GREEN
[QUOTE="dog_dirt"][QUOTE="AL_GREEN"]As an iPhone owner who loves the **** out of my iPhone im going to say this... lol @ iPhone games

your playing the wrong iphone games then. cos as a fellow iphone owner i've had bags of fun playing games on it this year. game dev story is maybe my most played game this last few weeks and cut the rope is just genius.

well some people just love playing video games so much that they can play garbage and think it's awesome real games just don't work on iphone...they aren't worth playing...novelty games and stuff like skeeball and cuberunner are pretty fun, games that only last like 5 minutes tops, but anything more than that just isn't good on the iPhone I'm sorry.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 OreoMilkshake
[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Cool, have fun putting your fingers all over that screen.Christian_Bale
The point of gaming is having fun. I am having fun with Modern Combat 2 online on my iPhone atm. If you took your time to play a good game on an iPhone and didn't like your experience, its ok. But kids saying it's **** just because they can't afford it should stfu.

I own an iPod touch. I hate having no buttons for games like this.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

-_-;
Well at least they got one aspect of gaming down.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
this is as interesting as trying to play a rts with a controller!! its still an iphone game..which means it fails with its horrible touchscreen controls.. ds and psp is the only thing that matters. *flame shield* dont bother trying to rebut me , i have my shield on which cannot be penetrated
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="Christian_Bale"][QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Cool, have fun putting your fingers all over that screen.OreoMilkshake

I own an iPod touch. I hate having no buttons for games like this.

They say the combat will be turn-based, so I don't think the controls will be that big of deal.

Christian_Bale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Christian_Bale

[QUOTE="Christian_Bale"][QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Cool, have fun putting your fingers all over that screen.Wii4Fun

The point of gaming is having fun. I am having fun with Modern Combat 2 online on my iPhone atm.If you took your time to play a good game on an iPhone and didn't like your experience, its ok. But kids sayingit's **** just because they can't afford it should stfu.

Amen brother.

I don't have an Iphone, nor can I afford one at the moment, but I get where you are coming from even though portable gaming isn't my thing.

And there is one thing to consider with iPhone gaming. It's your phone so you always have it on you. I would never carry a DS with me at all times, it's just silly. Also I can play ONLINE ANYWHERE with the phone's data connection. The "true" portable consoles can't do that. And the iPhone is basically a computer with everything you can do on it. I can access my PC from anywhere with iTeleport, it's also my HD camera, even my GPS etc... so many other things.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OreoMilkshake
[QUOTE="Wii4Fun"]

[QUOTE="Christian_Bale"] The point of gaming is having fun. I am having fun with Modern Combat 2 online on my iPhone atm.If you took your time to play a good game on an iPhone and didn't like your experience, its ok. But kids sayingit's **** just because they can't afford it should stfu.Christian_Bale

Amen brother.

And there is one thing to consider with iPhone gaming. It's your phone so you always have it on you. I would never carry a DS with me at all times, it's just silly. Also I can play ONLINE ANYWHERE with the phone's data connection. The "true" portable consoles can't do that. And the iPhone is basically a computer with everything you can do on it. I can access my PC from anywhere with iTeleport, it's also my HD camera, even my GPS etc... so many other things.

Oh I get it. Let's not talk about games anymore to throw him off. ;)
OctaBech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 OctaBech
Member since 2008 • 276 Posts
Thanks very much, these pics are perfect to shut up the PSPhone nay sayers, top notch graphics with good controls.
TruestGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TruestGamer
Member since 2008 • 294 Posts
Let this marinate, Apple may not pose a significant threat now, but these screens are showing that the iphone is becoming more and more gaming oriented. Over time, cellphones and gaming will be integrated and Apple will become more pronounced within this industry. Sony wasnt around 20 years ago in the gaming market. We all remember what happened when Nintendo ignored them.... /two cents
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I own an ipod touch and i can safely say the app store and everything in it except for things under utilities are a waste of time, money, and your life.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
ehhh... no thnx, worm. It's still a phone, it isn't meant for gaming. I will game next year on my 3DS, a gaming system above all else.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Blazerdt47

[QUOTE="Wii4Fun"]

[QUOTE="Christian_Bale"] The point of gaming is having fun. I am having fun with Modern Combat 2 online on my iPhone atm.If you took your time to play a good game on an iPhone and didn't like your experience, its ok. But kids sayingit's **** just because they can't afford it should stfu.Christian_Bale

Amen brother.

True, but it's the lack of physical controls that is keeping iPhone from becoming a serious gaming platform. And the fact that not everyone can have an iPhone doesn't help either.

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dog_dirt
ehhh... no thnx, worm. It's still a phone, it isn't meant for gaming. I will game next year on my 3DS, a gaming system above all else. King_Dodongo
thats while i'l never game on a PC. because those this were made for excel not gaming so gaming on one would be stupid and stuff
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dog_dirt

I own an ipod touch and i can safely say the app store and everything in it except for things under utilities are a waste of time, money, and your life.

edinsftw
so just like every other game then.
RyviusRan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RyviusRan
Member since 2010 • 558 Posts

lol @ comments like "looks ok". Have you forgotten this is a phone? You can easily compare those graphics with some xbox 360/ps3 games. And btw, I'm tired of this old "no buttons, simple 5 minute games" arguments. Right now I am hooked on the Modern Combat 2 which is the equivalent of Modern Warfare 2 but on the iPhone. And the controls are very PC like they work so well I even forget I'm playing on an iPhone sometime. Pick up an iPhone for an hour and play this game online and I dare you to say it's not for "serious gaming". Just the huge online community proves the iPhone is a serious contender and btw it's beating DS sales atm so yeah. Christian_Bale

The controls are horrible in modern combat 2.....

If the iPhone had it's own controller then that would be great.

It shouldn't be hard to do either.

Just have two peices which connect on each side of the iPhone.

The left for the analog and dpad and the right for the buttons.

You can even add shoulder buttons on the top of each piece.

I saw it at a tech show one time but so far nothing like that seems to be released or supported.

Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts
[QUOTE="FILIPINOMAZTER"]looks pretty good but iphone is still garbage though not a real gaming deviceChristian_Bale
same old **** argument by people who never played good games on the iPhone.

I've played many games on the iPhone and my Droid X and most of them are temporary distractions for me. I think it's mainly due to the fact that controls suck on mobile games on pretty much all cell phones. That being said this game is most impressive graphically. Is it an open world?