Insomniac: Sunset Overdrive May Have A Future, With Or Without Microsoft

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/02/23/insomniac-with-or-without-microsoft-sunset-overdrive-has-a-future.aspx

We asked Insomniac president Ted Price why there has been no movement on a sequel, and he replied, "You'd have to ask Microsoft." But with or without Microsoft's participation, Sunset Overdrive may grind again.

"We are passionate about that franchise, and we own it, so you may see more Sunset in the future from us," Price said. "No promises, and no timeline to speak of, but it is something that represents our willingness to create unexpected experiences."

Sounds like Microsoft doesn't want a sequel but Insomniac wants to make a sequel and is hinting that the next one will be multiplatform. The first one got very good reviews so MS being unwilling to give a sequel a chance is the reason the HaloGearsForza stigma still exists. Sony gives freaking Knack a 2nd chance and MS can't give Sunset Overdrive a 2nd chance even after the first one was very good.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Cool, as long as another one gets made

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I think a lot of people would like to see a sequel. And I think Insomniac should work on what they want to work on. Microsoft is way too worried about immediate profit and not long term investment and risk taking. It's causing some real stagnation over there. I would think developers would be happy to release every game they make as a multiplat.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Still don't get why they don't bring it to steam. MS is fine with it. it'd sell enough to recoup costs and expand an audiance. Weird.

But i don't see any publisher picking this up considering the sales.

Hope Spiderman goes well for them

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/02/23/insomniac-with-or-without-microsoft-sunset-overdrive-has-a-future.aspx

We asked Insomniac president Ted Price why there has been no movement on a sequel, and he replied, "You'd have to ask Microsoft." But with or without Microsoft's participation, Sunset Overdrive may grind again.

"We are passionate about that franchise, and we own it, so you may see more Sunset in the future from us," Price said. "No promises, and no timeline to speak of, but it is something that represents our willingness to create unexpected experiences."

Sounds like Microsoft doesn't want a sequel but Insomniac wants to make a sequel and is hinting that the next one will be multiplatform. The first one got very good reviews so MS being unwilling to give a sequel a chance is the reason the HaloGearsForza stigma still exists. Sony gives freaking Knack a 2nd chance and MS can't give Sunset Overdrive a 2nd chance even after the first one was very good.

and yet the same can't be said of many of their studios and other games like RIME.

Also, Knack sold like a million units. Plus it's cheaper to develop then something like Sunset Overdrive

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45430 Posts

They got owned by trying to go against Sony. First they flopped with EA and now Microsoft. Sony pretty much made these people.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70297 Posts

Didn't PS4'ers claim this game to be garbage?

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@Pedro said:

It hardly set the world on fire? It's the definitive 'okay' videogame. Nobody is waiting on tenterhooks for the next 'okay' videogame from the same devs.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
@blueinheaven said:
@Pedro said:

It hardly set the world on fire? It's the definitive 'okay' videogame. Nobody is waiting on tenterhooks for the next 'okay' videogame from the same devs.

Yeah I thought it was fun, in it's at least different sort of way. But the humor doesn't stick, the rules of 3 stuff gets boring, and it suffers a lot of stuff open world games suffer from. Not enough fun missions, and the mechanics themselves are a mixed bag. As you put it it's okay, fine, passable, aight. I'd rather they just do something new entirely.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pedro

@blueinheaven said:
@Pedro said:

If it was on the PS4 the reaction would have been different. The main reason this game received hate is due to it being on the Xbox One.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22413 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

So you know for a fact that MS is "unwilling to give a sequel a chance"? Get lost, seriously. Just another MS bash thread.

@Pedro said:

Yeah, funny that.

@blueinheaven said:
@Pedro said:

I think it's definitely better than an "okay" game. It's one of the most fun games I've played in ages.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@Pedro said:
@blueinheaven said:
@Pedro said:

If it was on the PS4 the reaction would have been different. The main reason this game received hate is due to it being on the Xbox One.

Well you don't sound a bit paranoid there, or anything like a rabid Xbox One fanatic, so that's okay.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Pedro said:

Yup.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro

@blueinheaven said:
@Pedro said:

Well you don't sound a bit paranoid there, or anything like a rabid Xbox One fanatic, so that's okay.

Thats your response? I am a rabid Xbox One fanatic? LOL. I guess my point has been made and I didn't have to try.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01

@Pedro said:
@blueinheaven said:
@Pedro said:

Thats your response? I am a rabid Xbox One fanatic? LOL. I guess my point has been made and I didn't have to try.

Yep... if this was a PS4 exclusive, you can almost guarantee it'd be hailed as fantastic by cows. No paranoia, just a fact.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@Pedro said:
@blueinheaven said:
@Pedro said:

Lol exactly. Lems are so mentally wrecked this gen that I bet that each morning they think their breakfast cereal is plotting against their beloved plastic wife: xbone. Poor feeble rodents.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dakur

Now on topic, Insomniac will do good to put the next game on a real gaming system with a company that actually cares about gaming so that the franchise can truly shine. Xbone is cancer.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Knack must have cost pennies to make in developer terms. So its a low risk project. Sunset on the other hand. Definitely cost more to fund than Knack, given its online component. More investment=bigger risk. SSO also did not sell that well. MS was giving away copies in Xbox One bundles. You usually don't give away free copies of a game, if it's making a ton of money on its own. Doing so gives off the impression that you are clearing excessive inventory.

Insomniac also can't afford to make another low earning title. Their reputation is at stake if EA and MS aren't jumping to fund their non-Sony owned games.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

No thanks.

I very much would like a Resistance game. Resistance 2 had awesome fun 30vs30 multiplayer and 8 player Co-op. Resistance 3 had the most memorable fps campaing I've ever experience

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Insomniac better learn to stay in their lane. They're too interested in looking like fools making vids about immigration than focusing on games.

Sunset Overdrive was a very boring game. All flash no substance. The IP failed.

They need to move on but considering how the place is run they're too busy with feelings to make good business decisions.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44662 Posts

Insomniac owns the Sunset Overdrive IP, that was the condition Insomniac wanted from Sony and they refused, so they asked Microsoft who agreed. They own the IP they just need the funding. They can get that from whoever wants to publish it, Microsoft, Sony, they could go to EA, Activision, Sega, Nintendo, pretty much whoever.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I want a new Resistance, loved the first one and thought the second was good but rushed.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@dakur said:

Now on topic, Insomniac will do good to put the next game on a real gaming system with a company that actually cares about gaming so that the franchise can truly shine. Xbone is cancer.

The only cancer around here is you (and your 5 alt accounts)... at least put some effort in, troll.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

MS gave them creative freedom and let Insomniac keep the IP. Sony refused. MS for the gamers, Sony cancer confirmed.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NathanDrakeSwag

@primorandomguy said:

MS gave them creative freedom and let Insomniac keep the IP. Sony refused. MS for the gamers, Sony cancer confirmed.

And then MS refused to give gamers a sequel because it didn't sell Halo numbers. For the gamers indeed.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@primorandomguy said:

And then MS refused to give gamers a sequel because it didn't sell Halo numbers. For the gamers indeed.

Again, were's your proof that is MS's stance? Sounds like a typical cow pulling shit out of his arse... what else is new.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#26  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I would love for it's future to also be on pc. I loved Infamous 1, and missed out on the others when I went back to 360

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

SSO was a mediocre game, PlayStation is better off not having it on the PS4.

Commiesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Commiesdie
Member since 2006 • 372 Posts

Game informer is not a reliable source

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NathanDrakeSwag

@Commiesdie said:

Game informer is not a reliable source

What about Ted Price? He doesn't know what's going on with his own company?

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

MS is getting on my nerves....this game was great, keep it going MS.

Commiesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Commiesdie

@NathanDrakeSwag:

Wtf does that have to do with what I just said? Unless other link

Is found about this I take this source as bs

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50650 Posts

If they make it hopefully it sells better. First seemed to score pretty damn well.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@dakur said:

Yes,because Resistance truly shined under Sony.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dakur

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@dakur said:

The only cancer around here is you (and your 5 alt accounts)... at least put some effort in, troll.

So I have more alt accounts than xbone has games? TLHBO

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag

@Commiesdie said:

@NathanDrakeSwag:

Wtf does that have to do with what I just said? Unless other link

Is found about this I take this source as bs

Did you even read the article? The source is Ted Price, dummy.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NathanDrakeSwag

@dakur said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@dakur said:

So I have more alt accounts than xbone has games? TLHBO

Rekt

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dakur

@MonsieurX said:
@dakur said:

At least Sony kept funding subsequent games unlike M$ who in the first sign of low sales it cancels everything. Also Resistance was higher quality than SO.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NathanDrakeSwag

@MonsieurX said:
@dakur said:

It did. All 3 were great games that got great reviews.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#39 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

@MonsieurX: Well Ratchet&Clank and Spyro did well enough and only on Sony's consol

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Make it more fun this time. I liked it but can't play it anymore since I dropped my Gold membership.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts
@deadline-zero0 said:

Still don't get why they don't bring it to steam. MS is fine with it. it'd sell enough to recoup costs and expand an audiance. Weird.

But i don't see any publisher picking this up considering the sales.

Hope Spiderman goes well for them

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

and yet the same can't be said of many of their studios and other games like RIME.

Also, Knack sold like a million units. Plus it's cheaper to develop then something like Sunset Overdrive

Who will pay for that dev time to make it work on Steam/win32 ?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

This is a title I'd love to play - I wish they'd unlock it on PC for play anywhere

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

No one knows. I'm sure Microsoft and Insomniac haven't even spoken about it yet. A sequel could still be made.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

With or without don't matter to me. Not my cup of tea but I'm sure some others will find it enjoyable.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Game didn't look like it was designed for me.

I hate jumping all over the place and dealing with hipster mission's

The humor looked awful,, character designs looked gross graphics weren't that wowing.

I'd rather play dead rising or anything over it

Commiesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Commiesdie

@NathanDrakeSwag:

And game informer is known for false Info and news they probably didn't even interview him so **** off u butthurt fanboy

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I'd rather have them work on something else. The game never attracted me, hated the art style and humor. I heard it was a great game but honestly it didn't look all that great for me to ignore its art style and weak humor. Insomniac games is a really talented studio, R&C remake is one of my favorite games this gen. They need to create a new IP with the kind of fun and humor they are known for with R&C. SSO doesn't seem to me to be that game that can carry the reins from R&C.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NathanDrakeSwag

@Commiesdie said:

@NathanDrakeSwag:

And game informer is known for false Info and news they probably didn't even interview him so **** off u butthurt fanboy

Are you stupid or just putting on an act?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@Pedro said:
@blueinheaven said:
@Pedro said:

Playing the Victim - "Only on XBox"

I hear it's the biggest seller.