Insomniac says anyone who thinks DVD9 is enough space isn't a developer.

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vicious_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vicious_T
Member since 2003 • 135 Posts

So True.

If you ever hear someone say "Blu-Ray isn't needed for this generation," rest assured they don't make games for a living. At Insomniac, we were filling up DVDs on the PS2, as were most of the developers in the industry. We compressed the level data, we compressed the mpeg movies, we compressed the audio, and it was still a struggle to get it to fit in 6 gigs. Now we've got 16 times as much system RAM, so the level data is 16 times bigger. And the average disc space of games only gets bigger over a console's lifespan. As games get bigger, more advanced and more complex, they necessarily take up more space. If developers were filling up DVDs last generation, there are clearly going to be some sacrifices made to fit current generation games in the same amount of space.

Granted, some really great Xbox 360 games have squeezed onto a DVD9. Gears of War is a beautiful game and shows off the highest resolution textures of anything yet released, partly because of the Unreal Engine's ability to stream textures. This means that you can have much higher resolution textures than you could normally fit in your 512 MB of RAM. It also means that you're going to chew up more disc space for each level. With streamed textures, streamed geometry and streamed audio, even with compression, you can quickly approach 1 GB of data per level. That inherently limits you to a maximum of about 7 levels, and that's without multiplayer levels or mpeg cutscenes.

Sometimes people ask us, "If Resistance takes 14 gigabytes, why doesn't it look better than Gears?" Well, for one, Resistance didn't support texture streaming, so we had to make choices about where we spent our high-res textures. Resistance also had 30 single-player chapters, six multiplayer maps, uncompressed audio streaming, and high-definition mpegs. That all added up to a lot of space on the disc. Starting with Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction we are supporting texture streaming, which will make the worlds look even better, and will also consume even more space on disc.

There's no question that you can always cut more levels, compress the audio more, compress the textures more, down-res the mpeg movies, and eventually get any game to fit on a DVD. But you paid for a high-def experience, right? You want the highest resolution, best audio, most cinematic experience a developer can offer, right? That's why Blu-Ray is important for games, and why it will become more important each year of this hardware cycle.

MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
Yes, because insomniac is such an amazing developer.. :roll: Is this even true? Do you have a link to back it up?
COBHC_reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 COBHC_reaper
Member since 2006 • 1793 Posts

Yea, I mean for the Xbox 360 I'm constantly having to swap discs.

Oblivion being on 4 discs really sucks. 

xXHackettXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 xXHackettXx
Member since 2006 • 3560 Posts

COBHC_reaper
That would suck if it was.
shadow_lord_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 shadow_lord_11
Member since 2004 • 20792 Posts

Thats why every game last gen was complete trash isnt it?

MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MTBare
[QUOTE="COBHC_reaper"]

xXHackettXx
That would suck if it was.

Hehe, I remember those "rumors"
GsSanAndreas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GsSanAndreas
Member since 2004 • 3075 Posts
Yes, because insomniac is such an amazing developer.. :roll: Is this even true? Do you have a link to back it up?MTBare

They are. Have you not seen the ratchet and clank games? and now resistance
kankthetank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kankthetank
Member since 2003 • 4212 Posts
I guess this means Epic, Bethesda, BioWare, etc., aren't developers.....news to me. Anyway, sure, depending on the game, DVD9 might not be enough; for example, Blue Dragon being on 3 DVDs...but that's mainly duie to the various HD FMVs in the game. Is more space necessary? I don't believe so...atleast not yet, it'll most likely be next gen, however.
Vicious_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vicious_T

I guess this means Epic, Bethesda, BioWare, etc., aren't developers.....news to me. Anyway, sure, depending on the game, DVD9 might not be enough; for example, Blue Dragon being on 3 DVDs...but that's mainly duie to the various HD FMVs in the game. Is more space necessary? I don't believe so...atleast not yet, it'll most likely be next gen, however.kankthetank

So you think those developers didn't have to compress any data..what a joke you are.

blurb1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blurb1324
Member since 2004 • 4551 Posts

[QUOTE="kankthetank"]I guess this means Epic, Bethesda, BioWare, etc., aren't developers.....news to me. Anyway, sure, depending on the game, DVD9 might not be enough; for example, Blue Dragon being on 3 DVDs...but that's mainly duie to the various HD FMVs in the game. Is more space necessary? I don't believe so...atleast not yet, it'll most likely be next gen, however.Vicious_T

So you think those developers didn't have to compress any data..what a joke you are.

Pretty much everyone compresses data :| You don't think that PS3 games are compressed at all?
kankthetank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kankthetank
Member since 2003 • 4212 Posts

[QUOTE="kankthetank"]I guess this means Epic, Bethesda, BioWare, etc., aren't developers.....news to me. Anyway, sure, depending on the game, DVD9 might not be enough; for example, Blue Dragon being on 3 DVDs...but that's mainly duie to the various HD FMVs in the game. Is more space necessary? I don't believe so...atleast not yet, it'll most likely be next gen, however.Vicious_T

Where the **** did I say that? If they can compress the data to fit it on one disc then that means having a larger format is NOT NECESSARY, smartass.
silentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 silentobi
Member since 2006 • 1495 Posts

One game Mass Effect i bet that this is going to be one of the biggest games this gen and it still fits on dvd9. And it's one of the best looking games i've ever seen :D

Vicious_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vicious_T
[QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

[QUOTE="kankthetank"]I guess this means Epic, Bethesda, BioWare, etc., aren't developers.....news to me. Anyway, sure, depending on the game, DVD9 might not be enough; for example, Blue Dragon being on 3 DVDs...but that's mainly duie to the various HD FMVs in the game. Is more space necessary? I don't believe so...atleast not yet, it'll most likely be next gen, however.blurb1324

Pretty much everyone compresses data :| You don't think that PS3 games are compressed at all?

Why dont you call each of those developers you listed an tell them do they wish to make games on DVD or Bluray media. You obviously didn't understand what Insomniac meant.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

[QUOTE="kankthetank"]I guess this means Epic, Bethesda, BioWare, etc., aren't developers.....news to me. Anyway, sure, depending on the game, DVD9 might not be enough; for example, Blue Dragon being on 3 DVDs...but that's mainly duie to the various HD FMVs in the game. Is more space necessary? I don't believe so...atleast not yet, it'll most likely be next gen, however.blurb1324

"uncompressed audio streaming, and high-definition mpegs." i think they are leaving things uncompressed if they can stream it.
-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the 11 billionth edition of Insomiac Says....
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MTBare
[QUOTE="MTBare"]Yes, because insomniac is such an amazing developer.. :roll: Is this even true? Do you have a link to back it up?GsSanAndreas

They are. Have you not seen the ratchet and clank games? and now resistance

They are good, but they cannot put down other developers that are developing for the 360 that are far greater than they are. If this quote is true, which I doubt, this insomniac has an ego problem.
-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts

So True.

If you ever hear someone say "Blu-Ray isn't needed for this generation," rest assured they don't make games for a living. At Insomniac, we were filling up DVDs on the PS2, as were most of the developers in the industry. We compressed the level data, we compressed the mpeg movies, we compressed the audio, and it was still a struggle to get it to fit in 6 gigs. Now we've got 16 times as much system RAM, so the level data is 16 times bigger. And the average disc space of games only gets bigger over a console's lifespan. As games get bigger, more advanced and more complex, they necessarily take up more space. If developers were filling up DVDs last generation, there are clearly going to be some sacrifices made to fit current generation games in the same amount of space.

Granted, some really great Xbox 360 games have squeezed onto a DVD9. Gears of War is a beautiful game and shows off the highest resolution textures of anything yet released, partly because of the Unreal Engine's ability to stream textures. This means that you can have much higher resolution textures than you could normally fit in your 512 MB of RAM. It also means that you're going to chew up more disc space for each level. With streamed textures, streamed geometry and streamed audio, even with compression, you can quickly approach 1 GB of data per level. That inherently limits you to a maximum of about 7 levels, and that's without multiplayer levels or mpeg cutscenes.

Sometimes people ask us, "If Resistance takes 14 gigabytes, why doesn't it look better than Gears?" Well, for one, Resistance didn't support texture streaming, so we had to make choices about where we spent our high-res textures. Resistance also had 30 single-player chapters, six multiplayer maps, uncompressed audio streaming, and high-definition mpegs. That all added up to a lot of space on the disc. Starting with Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction we are supporting texture streaming, which will make the worlds look even better, and will also consume even more space on disc.

There's no question that you can always cut more levels, compress the audio more, compress the textures more, down-res the mpeg movies, and eventually get any game to fit on a DVD. But you paid for a high-def experience, right? You want the highest resolution, best audio, most cinematic experience a developer can offer, right? That's why Blu-Ray is important for games, and why it will become more important each year of this hardware cycle.

Vicious_T
Crysis uses DVD9, nuff said.
Avatar image for fatzombiepigeon
fatzombiepigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 fatzombiepigeon
Member since 2005 • 8199 Posts

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the 11 billionth edition of Insomiac Says....-The-G-Man-

A developer who exclusively supports the Playstation brand backing Sony?!

blurb1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blurb1324
[QUOTE="blurb1324"][QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

Why dont you call each of those developers you listed an tell them do they wish to make games on DVD or Bluray media. You obviously didn't understand what Insomniac meant.

Did I even comment on what Insomniac said? No. I was commenting on what YOU said. Clearly, you are the one who isn't understanding here.
Vicious_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vicious_T
[QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

So True.

-KinGz-

How many computers use bluray or HD-DVD drives?...enough said.

blurb1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blurb1324
[QUOTE="blurb1324"][QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

[QUOTE="kankthetank"]I guess this means Epic, Bethesda, BioWare, etc., aren't developers.....news to me. Anyway, sure, depending on the game, DVD9 might not be enough; for example, Blue Dragon being on 3 DVDs...but that's mainly duie to the various HD FMVs in the game. Is more space necessary? I don't believe so...atleast not yet, it'll most likely be next gen, however.Ontain

"uncompressed audio streaming, and high-definition mpegs." i think they are leaving things uncompressed if they can stream it.

True, however it's not as if all devs are leaving things uncompressed. A lot are still compressing things.
Vicious_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vicious_T
[QUOTE="Vicious_T"][QUOTE="blurb1324"][QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

Did I even comment on what Insomniac said? No. I was commenting on what YOU said. Clearly, you are the one who isn't understanding here.

Oh I was replying to the other guy. kankthetank

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
that makes...everybody not paid by Sony.
Blue-Sphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blue-Sphere
Member since 2006 • 1972 Posts
that makes...everybody not paid by Sony.Hewkii
:lol:
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts
that makes...everybody not paid by Sony.Hewkii
Insomniac and Sony have a partnership, not an ownership relationship.
-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts
[QUOTE="-KinGz-"][QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

So True.

Vicious_T

Thats the weakest response ever, no game on ps3 or 360 will ever look as Crysis, and it seems to be a pretty damn large game with open enviroments, yet it fits on a dvd9.
zidane345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zidane345
Member since 2004 • 695 Posts
oh no i have to switch to disk 2, what will i ever do
-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts

[QUOTE="-The-G-Man-"]Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the 11 billionth edition of Insomiac Says....fatzombiepigeon

A developer who exclusively supports the Playstation brand backing Sony?!

I didn't think it was possible! :o

Kuniva1181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kuniva1181
Member since 2004 • 521 Posts
[QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

You want the highest resolution, best audio, most cinematic experience a developer can offer, right? \

Actually I want the best GAMEPLAY from GAMES that a developer can offer.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts
[QUOTE="MTBare"]Yes, because insomniac is such an amazing developer.. :roll: Is this even true? Do you have a link to back it up?

He has comments from a developer. Here's the link to the place it is posted. http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1010.html Insomniac is an amazing developer. They're definitely, inarguably, up there.
*CloudX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 *CloudX
Member since 2003 • 292 Posts
Why do people care what this guy says. The Ratchet series sucked. Naughty Dog Pwns Insomniac. Seriously the Jak serious was fun, Ratchet and Clank not so much.
coldkill19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 coldkill19
Member since 2007 • 1658 Posts
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the 11 billionth edition of Insomiac Says....-The-G-Man-
dont be hating on a company that dosent develop for xbox now
frankthurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 frankthurk
Member since 2006 • 121 Posts
[QUOTE="MTBare"]Yes, because insomniac is such an amazing developer.. :roll: Is this even true? Do you have a link to back it up?

Actually they are. Go look at their game scores 80+ lowest with a couple 90+.
Vicious_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vicious_T
[QUOTE="Vicious_T"][QUOTE="-KinGz-"][QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

So True.

-KinGz-

Thats the weakest response ever, no game on ps3 or 360 will ever look as Crysis, and it seems to be a pretty damn large game with open enviroments, yet it fits on a dvd9.

You have no argument. Crysis fitting on DVD9 doesn't prove anything since it was developed way before hd-media and develop to fit on dvds for all those comp users.

coldkill19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 coldkill19
Member since 2007 • 1658 Posts
Why do people care what this guy says. The Ratchet series sucked. Naughty Dog Pwns Insomniac. Seriously the Jak serious was fun, Ratchet and Clank not so much.CloudX
Lay off the drugs, R&C OWNED!
lordseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lordseer
Member since 2004 • 4671 Posts

What a joke your knowledge of compression must actually be.  What a joke that you would take a loyal sony developer's words at face value is.

frankthurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 frankthurk
[QUOTE="Vicious_T"][QUOTE="-KinGz-"][QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

So True.

-KinGz-

How many computers don't have blu-ray or HD_DVD drives AND don't have HDDs standard? That's the real killer. Maybe you could get away with it as you do on PCs but installing the game on the HDD, but guess what console can't guarentee there will be HDD?
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

Bigger Harddrives FTW!

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#40 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts
[QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

[QUOTE="kankthetank"]I guess this means Epic, Bethesda, BioWare, etc., aren't developers.....news to me. Anyway, sure, depending on the game, DVD9 might not be enough; for example, Blue Dragon being on 3 DVDs...but that's mainly duie to the various HD FMVs in the game. Is more space necessary? I don't believe so...atleast not yet, it'll most likely be next gen, however.lordseer

What a joke your knowledge of compression must actually be. What a joke that you would take a loyal sony developer's words at face value is.

and your knowledge of compression is better than Brian Hastings'? :?
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

They're on Sony's payroll. What do you expect them to say?

meanwhile, other third party developers are creating great, expansive games on DVD 9's and still having plenty of space left over.

shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
To save $200, I'd wouldn't mind if every game came on 5 disks, honestly. It's no hassel in my opinion. Taking a quick piss takes at least 10 times as long, so if you look at it that way, there's really no problem
south411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 south411
Member since 2006 • 2136 Posts
[QUOTE="-KinGz-"][QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

So True.

Vicious_T

none! cause they are not needed!
palaric8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 palaric8
Member since 2006 • 2246 Posts
kojima said 9 gb wasnt enough for mgs4 kojima is the man btw
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

Yes they a re amazing developers. It doesn't take constant AAA games to make you smart or to know what your talking about. Their games sell very well and score very well also.
zidane345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 zidane345
Member since 2004 • 695 Posts
[QUOTE="palaric8"]kojima said 9 gb wasnt enough for mgs4 kojima is the man btw

yes the man in making good stories and CGI effects
frankthurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 frankthurk
Why do people care what this guy says. The Ratchet series sucked. Naughty Dog Pwns Insomniac. Seriously the Jak serious was fun, Ratchet and Clank not so much.CloudX
Highest rated Jak game = 90 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/jakanddaxter?q=jak Lowest rated = 75 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/jakxcombatracing?q=jak Highest Rated Ratchet game = 91 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/ratchetandclankupyourarsenal?q=ratchet Lowest rated = 81 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/ratchetdeadlocked?q=ratchet Hmmm your OPINION seems to lack BACKING....
palaric8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 palaric8
Member since 2006 • 2246 Posts

they are,all of their games are AA-AAA
frankthurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 frankthurk
To save $200, I'd wouldn't mind if every game came on 5 disks, honestly. It's no hassel in my opinion. Taking a quick piss takes at least 10 times as long, so if you look at it that way, there's really no problemshadow8585
Yeah, what the hell, why don't we all just get games on floppy disks. I don't mind getting up and having to switch them over and over, acutally it's better that way otherwise I might get too immersed in the game...
Avatar image for Jin_the_samurai
Jin_the_samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jin_the_samurai
Member since 2006 • 623 Posts
I remember I use to love multi-disk games. For example when I got FF7 and noticed 3 disks inside, I was thinking sweet a long game.