In reality, Nintendo and Microsoft have toppled the giant....

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 colmusterd28
Member since 2006 • 2854 Posts

Sorry boys and girls, In looking at the hard numbers and projections in to 2010 (granted if all continues on the currant sales path) Nintendo and Microsoft will have successfully made video games an official 3 horse race. Last gen was to easy for Sony and this gen has become an all out war...

I remember a thread when this gen started where we all put up our market share %... While I think the wii will always sell strong and PS3 may pick up steam, the 360 will have plenty of fight for the durration. There will be a BioShock2, Mass Effect 2 and 3, a Gears2 more Halo's. The point is that while Sony may eventually topple the 360 in worldwide sales in 2009-10, (just no far east support for MS) it most likely won't catch wii... so I pose this question...

Do we look at this gen as the rise of Nintendo and Microsoft or the fall of Sony...?

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts
Sony isn't going no where until 360 outsells the PS2
Myviewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 Myviewing
Member since 2006 • 539 Posts
We'll see. I'd prefer that they all stayed in the "race" though.
dbzfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 dbzfreak
Member since 2003 • 6223 Posts
It's still too early to tell how things will pan out in the end. I hope all 3 don't go any where, more competition = better games.
Avatar image for Smoke_ManMuscle
Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Smoke_ManMuscle
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

Now that cows have started caring about sales numbers again, I think it's safe to say Nintendo's single-handedly toppled Sony.

Microsoft is the icing on the cake.

StringGuard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StringGuard
Member since 2008 • 619 Posts

:lol:

MS cut the giant and nnow he's pissed.

Nintendo's decided not to mess with the giant and is over playing in the sandbox.

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Pietrooper
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts
Essentially, Sony killed the Nintendo giant two generations ago and now Nintendo has come for revenge. Microsoft frankly has nothing to do with it, Nintendo all the way.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts
sony has been stripped of his status. he won't go though... way too much money in games for that. and nintendo is the new emeperor of rome... i mean, videogamemarketland
HerzogJan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HerzogJan
Member since 2006 • 424 Posts

The thing is, 360 doesnt need Halo 4, 5, 6 or Gears 3. If it contineous that path it will end up like the other box. Microsoft needs to rethink, change its strategy and start making diverse demography games like Viva Pinata commercially succesfull. Chain studios like Bungie, or start bidding on small talented studios, built up a respectfull first party family. Instead of bidding billions on yahoo, invest on making sound hardware, invest on market research, be the first one with the new gimmick.

Halo 4 will sell software, but it won't sell 360's.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I'd look at this gen as the "Return of Nintendo." After 2 gens of relative failure, they made one hell of a comeback and kicked Sony and Microsoft's asses!

By the end of this gen, the PS3 will have huge sales (around 80-85 million is my guess) and a huge game library, so I wouldn't exactly call it the "fall" of Sony, they're still a giant of the industry.

As for Microsoft, they're just gonna lose again, but not as badly as before.

Theclub83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Theclub83
Member since 2007 • 185 Posts

Sony will out last all the other systems

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/FEATURES/FEATURE/tabid/1488/Default.aspx?CID=19957c5c-3b97-43d0-8e44-688d7259e82a

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/FEATURES/FEATURE/tabid/1488/Default.aspx?CID=f4d9b4e5-ecf3-48cf-bf20-a8eadba014f7

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/FEATURES/FEATURE/tabid/1488/Default.aspx?CID=5a14fb84-007b-4bfe-b622-a23ca1277f3a

lolkie_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lolkie_81
Member since 2008 • 2004 Posts
I think so. MS has a much better foot hold on console gaming. Even if the ps3 out sells it this gen the 360 has done well enough it will continue and make a next gen console. The fanbase will grow granted they can make a console that dosent melt.
PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts

I personally think the competition is harder this generation. Sony lost a bunch of exclusives on release. But they are clearly gaining alot nowadays and line-up for 2008 and beyond looks only better and better. I don't own a PS3. I'm planning to buy one in the future. Perhaps with MGS4.

Sony was incredibly arrogant. And this is why I on purposely abandoned them and bought a 360 instead. I don't really know what to say. Both consoles seem pretty similar except for a bunch of exclusives. Technical capabilities seem exactly same to me, wich multiplatforms can't exactly prove since designers of the games cannot exactly fully take advantage of the true potential of the hardware.

They are essentially both the same system to me. And at the time the 360 was simpyl cheaper. 600 euro's wich equals to over 900 in US dollars. Thats no joke price for a game system.

But Sony learned :)

And realised consumers aren't THAT blind to just buy it because of the popular name ''Playstation'' tagged on it.

Tough competition this year. Nintendo took a completely different route to attract non-gamers and cater to casuals. They certainly did good in a financial standpoint. They are outselling their competitors like they're weakling :P

lolkie_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lolkie_81
Member since 2008 • 2004 Posts

The thing is, 360 doesnt need Halo 4, 5, 6 or Gears 3. If it contineous that path it will end up like the other box. Microsoft needs to rethink, change its strategy and start making diverse demography games like Viva Pinata commercially succesfull. Chain studios like Bungie, or start bidding on small talented studios, built up a respectfull first party family. Instead of bidding billions on yahoo, invest on making sound hardware, invest on market research, be the first one with the new gimmick.

HerzogJan

No thanks I dont want another gimmick like the wii. I like the 360 the way it is, the games speak for themselves

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26119 Posts
Sony was an in-grown parasite. Wii60 freezed it.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26119 Posts
[QUOTE="HerzogJan"]

lolkie_81

No thanks I dont want another gimmick like the wii. I like the 360 the way it is, the games speak for themselves

The Wii won't be a gimmick anymore when all consoles start mimicking it next gen.

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
right now PS3 could get pretty close to 360's sales by the end of 08 and could fesibly overtake it in 09 to get carried away this console war is far from over
Avatar image for Smoke_ManMuscle
Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Smoke_ManMuscle
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts
[QUOTE="lolkie_81"][QUOTE="HerzogJan"]

Willy105

The Wii won't be a gimmick anymore when all consoles start mimicking it next gen.

In before "I'll quit gaming if that happens". There are a lot of haters who are unable to comprehend why this statement is true.

L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 L1qu1dSword
Member since 2006 • 2835 Posts

Sony isn't going no where until 360 outsells the PS2f50p90

uh no we are not counting previous gens. the discussion is all about what happened THIS gen.

L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 L1qu1dSword

right now PS3 could get pretty close to 360's sales by the end of 08 and could fesibly overtake it in 09 to get carried away this console war is far from overRagashahs

then again the opposite could happen. 360 could pick up more steam with NG2, Fable 2, and especially Gears 2. PS3 just has MGS4 and Gears 1 allready beat MGS 3 in sales even though it hasnt been out as long.

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pietrooper
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts

[QUOTE="f50p90"]Sony isn't going no where until 360 outsells the PS2L1qu1dSword

uh no we are not counting previous gens. the discussion is all about what happened THIS gen.

They're still making money off previous gens, right?

DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts
Nintendo, not Microsoft, and there is no 'fall'.
beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

Sony isn't going no where until 360 outsells the PS2f50p90

that was last gen this is 2008 unless you hsvent noticed

dbzfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 dbzfreak
Member since 2003 • 6223 Posts

In before "I'll quit gaming if that happens". There are a lot of haters who are unable to comprehend why this statement is true.

Smoke_ManMuscle

I wouldn't quit gaming altogether, just console gaming, I still have my PC. ;)

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
Who's gonna buy a 360 for Gears 2 that hasnt already got one for Gears 1? Whos gonna buy Halo4 or w/e who asn't already got a 360 for Halo3? Infact, whos gonna buy a system over saturated with sci fi's and shooters that hasn't already gotten one? 360 is still catering towards the same market, its not gonna expand that much further.
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

[QUOTE="f50p90"]Sony isn't going no where until 360 outsells the PS2beerm_basic

that was last gen this is 2008 unless you hsvent noticed

and in 2008 games are still being made for the system, and it's still selling. Not that I'm supporting that posters statement, but the PS2 is still far from 'dead.'

greenpyro33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 greenpyro33
Member since 2007 • 3872 Posts
They arent dominating by any means, but no one has fallen. It is appropriate to say Nintendo has had an amazing rise though.
L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 L1qu1dSword
[QUOTE="L1qu1dSword"]

[QUOTE="f50p90"]Sony isn't going no where until 360 outsells the PS2Pietrooper

Wow Sony fans will do anything to take attention away from the main point which simply is this =>

All but SONY can say that they have drammatically improved its console's position in the race. sony which has to say that it is doing much worse against competitors then last time. => Sony toppled.

bub bhuh b hubuh what about teh ps2?

the_crosbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the_crosbie
Member since 2007 • 740 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]right now PS3 could get pretty close to 360's sales by the end of 08 and could fesibly overtake it in 09 to get carried away this console war is far from overL1qu1dSword

then again the opposite could happen. 360 could pick up more steam with NG2, Fable 2, and especially Gears 2. PS3 just has MGS4 and Gears 1 allready beat MGS 3 in sales even though it hasnt been out as long.

did you forget about Resistance 2, KZ2, LBP, inFamous, FF13, FF13 versus, haze, GoW3 and a little system seller called Grand Turismo 5
donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts

Sorry boys and girls, In looking at the hard numbers and projections in to 2010 (granted if all continues on the currant sales path) Nintendo and Microsoft will have successfully made video games an official 3 horse race. Last gen was to easy for Sony and this gen has become an all out war...

I remember a thread when this gen started where we all put up our market share %... While I think the wii will always sell strong and PS3 may pick up steam, the 360 will have plenty of fight for the durration. There will be a BioShock2, Mass Effect 2 and 3, a Gears2 more Halo's. The point is that while Sony may eventually topple the 360 in worldwide sales in 2009-10, (just no far east support for MS) it most likely won't catch wii... so I pose this question...

Do we look at this gen as the rise of Nintendo and Microsoft or the fall of Sony...?

colmusterd28

More of MS giving a masterclass of "how the mighty have shot themselves in the foot!" I say this because MS have effectively stopped themselves from creating a new console since they have no next generation format and DD just isn't ready yet. And, you said it yourself, Sony may toople World wide MS sales, so how is that a failure? In addition, I fail to see how Nintendo is going to compete in the long run since the casual gamers they are targetting are know to be highly seasonal. End.

fanboyism

L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 L1qu1dSword
[QUOTE="L1qu1dSword"]

[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]right now PS3 could get pretty close to 360's sales by the end of 08 and could fesibly overtake it in 09 to get carried away this console war is far from overthe_crosbie

did you forget about Resistance 2, KZ2, LBP, inFamous, FF13, FF13 versus, haze, GoW3 and a little system seller called Grand Turismo 5

Im talking about the alleged "year of sony" 2008 crossing FF13, versus, GoW3, GT5, Killzone Possibly(http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=128630), Infamous(TBA) off of your list. I mean if we include the distant future then Im going to inlcude those great system sellers coming for the xbox 720. Honestly the ONLY thing this year that would make me want a PS3 is MGS4 and Im not even convinced on that one. 2.5 percent of PS2 owners got MGS3. 2.5 percent of SONY's PS3 fanbase is not a lot at all. Nothing but snooze coming from PS3 this year like allways.

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

Actaully, I see it as the evening out of this market. Before, it was straight up Sony domination with second servings. Now it is evening out since Nintendo/ms are on the rise. But sonys secret weapon are the 40 million ps2 owners. Naturally ps2 had about 100+ million systems sold but Im guessing about half(maybe a little less than half) of those fans went to others systems while waiting for ps3. Im guessing that at least 40 million ps2 owners will be what ends this war later down the road; Im guessing that will be like 2011. The other half will go between nintendo/ms and in the end(no sooner lol) ps3 will be leading in sales...Just my theory of whats goin down.

But yes..As of now, consider sony at a loss

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]right now PS3 could get pretty close to 360's sales by the end of 08 and could fesibly overtake it in 09 to get carried away this console war is far from overL1qu1dSword

no offense but who's going to go out and buy a 360 for Gears 2? not to say it'll be a bad game but considering how much a success the first one was most people who wanted to buy 360 bought it when gears came out. generally new games sell consoles games like MGS4 which hasn't been seen on PS3 will sell console LBP and GT5P could also sell alot gears to will sell copies but not consoles's
MaximumD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34 MaximumD
Member since 2007 • 1506 Posts
If the PS3 can outsell X-Box 360 even without any AAA games in 2007, then no, it has not taken down the PS3. X-box 360 had Gears, Halo 3, and Bioshock and still can't outsell it. What makes you think the sequels can too?
PS_Family

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PS_Family
Member since 2008 • 590 Posts

Microsoft in some way has been pestering Sony by cannibalizing the hardcore gaming market and in some way helping the Wii fad gain some considerable advantage over the PS3.

But there's a problem, MS and Nintendo already wasted all their ammo while Sony is still warming up. Square and Konami keeps making their heavy hitters for a PS platform and 3rd parties aren't jumping ship like when Nintendo fell.

Tasman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Tasman_basic
Member since 2002 • 3255 Posts

Nintendo's decided not to mess with the giant and is over playing in the sandbox.

StringGuard

funny that the sand box if chock full of money.

Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts

StringGuard

That isn't sand, that is gold-dust :)

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 colmusterd28

agreed... Despite the 1% of 1% gaming population on Gamespot that thinks Sonys 08 lineup is leagues ahead of the competition... Microsoft has a very strong line-up in 08 and 09 will bring the already strong 07 linup around for some more sequals possibly...

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 colmusterd28
[QUOTE="colmusterd28"]

donwoogie

More of MS giving a masterclass of "how the mighty have shot themselves in the foot!" I say this because MS have effectively stopped themselves from creating a new console since they have no next generation format and DD just isn't ready yet. And, you said it yourself, Sony may toople World wide MS sales, so how is that a failure? In addition, I fail to see how Nintendo is going to compete in the long run since the casual gamers they are targetting are know to be highly seasonal. End.

fanboyism

Thanks for the needless picture...

Anyway, You really like to deal in extremes huh...? No next gen console for MS, nobody buys wii's other than seasonal, whatever that means... is seasonal 365 days a year? because that how the wii sells...

The perception of the Playstation giant has fallen, thats all I'm saying...

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 colmusterd28
[QUOTE="Pietrooper"][QUOTE="L1qu1dSword"]

Wow Sony fans will do anything to take attention away from the main point which simply is this =>

All but SONY can say that they have drammatically improved its console's position in the race. sony which has to say that it is doing much worse against competitors then last time. => Sony toppled.

bub bhuh b hubuh what about teh ps2?

that is exactly the point... Nobody said Playstation wouldn't get their peice of the pie, but nobody's saying Sony is gonna be the giant anymore... those days are over, MS and Nintendo are too strong.

In affect Sony dominance has been toppled...

Arsenal325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Arsenal325
Member since 2005 • 4899 Posts

this is known as the rise of nintendo... i think it would be known as the fall of sony if they end up in last place come the ending of this gen but i doubt thatll happen

Shinobi7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shinobi7777
Member since 2006 • 1064 Posts

The fact is that no company can stay on top for that long, nintendo did it for 2 generations without much competition(Nes and Snes vs small in term of income/money companies).

The real question is how long can Nintendo stay on top knowing that both Sony and Microsoft have a lot of tricks in their deep pockets. Sega got in trouble trying to beat Sony in its own game and failed, Nintendo has to stay focused on bringing innovative and cheap ways to gain new grounds and leave the hardcore fanbase to Sony/Microsoft.

I don't see what's wrong to have 3 great companies giving their best effort to bring us great games and consoles.

The only bad part is that gaming is getting a lot more expansive now, but overall I'm kinda happy how things turn out. You have 3 great consoles that have their good and bad but most importantly bring new IPs we can enjoy and in the portable market we now have 2 great consoles with great games.

Gerdeman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gerdeman15
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts
this gen i think sony will lose to mc but not by much...i think the wii will get completely smashed due to people finally figuring out that it is a baby toy
the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts
no-one toppled Sony. They toppled themselves when they launched an unfinished 599 dollar blu ray player with no games
tader-salad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tader-salad
Member since 2008 • 842 Posts

WHen the wii and 360 pass over 120 million units, then they will topple the giant that is Sony. That's gonna be kinda hard when the ps2 is still kicking arse
Avatar image for deactivated-57a12126af02c
deactivated-57a12126af02c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-57a12126af02c
Member since 2007 • 3290 Posts
I dont think Sony even sees Nintendo as competition anymore. They are going after a different demographic as Sony. Sony's competition is MS. Sony probably could have released something similar to the Wii, but they didnt, they pushed they're console hard, trying to advance in tech, as they usually do.
mgs_freak91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mgs_freak91
Member since 2007 • 2053 Posts

StringGuard

:lol: nice one.

Avatar image for deactivated-57a12126af02c
deactivated-57a12126af02c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-57a12126af02c
Member since 2007 • 3290 Posts
[QUOTE="StringGuard"]

mgs_freak91

:lol: nice one.

Actually, that is basically it.

ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts
fail. Ps2 and ps1 sold over 100 million I doubt wii will break it. Second ps3 will outsell and outlast both wii and 360. Every month it gets clearer.
RickLemieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RickLemieux
Member since 2003 • 517 Posts

If the PS3 can outsell X-Box 360 even without any AAA games in 2007, then no, it has not taken down the PS3. X-box 360 had Gears, Halo 3, and Bioshock and still can't outsell it. What makes you think the sequels can too?MaximumD

If you think about your statement, you make gamers look silly. They only buy the console for the name of the system and not for the games. That is sad!