Im giving up all of the crap, and you should too....

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AA7
Member since 2003 • 2845 Posts

Recently, my outlook on gaming has been changing.

I have been gaming since the early nineties and have been loving games from every genre since then.

I play RPG's, FPS's, Adventure Games, RTS's, Puzzle Games, Casual Games, Anime Games, Sports Games.....and any other type of games you can name or imagine.

However, lately I have come to realize something very different about my gaming habits...

Now that my life is getting busier, being in second year University, girlfriend, friends, job....and so on and so fourth...

I have to carefully pick and choose what games I spend my spare time with, and I have (obviously) chose to play the AAA games.

COD4, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Halo 3, Mario Galaxy, Crysis, Orange Box, Rock Band, Professor Layton.....all games that are (at least in my opinion) AAA games.

And you know what.....I'm having a much better time than I ever did playing a mix of every game, by leaving out the crap.

Now, not to say there aren't AAA games that are also crap (to some people), and also not to say that there are lower rated games that arent better than alot of the critically acclaimed games, because there are many that are, but when I have to budget my time so very carefully, a few AAA games make me happier than a tone of crap.

So here is my question to you......

Would you be happier to give up the crap and go only AAA, or are you so desperate for games that you are willing to buy whatever comes your way?

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
heck no. Some of the greatest games of all time are in the 7-8 range.
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

I choose games that interest me whether they're AAA or not. I've got a number of A-AA games that I like as much or more as some AAA games.

Conjuredevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Conjuredevil
Member since 2004 • 1409 Posts

I have been gaming since the early nineties and have been loving games from every genre since then.

I play RPG's, FPS's, Adventure Games, RTS's, Puzzle Games, Casual Games, Anime Games, Sports Games.....and any other type of games you can name or imagine.

However, lately I have come to realize something very different about my gaming habits...

Now that my life is getting busier, being in second year University, girlfriend, friends, job....and so on and so fourth...

I have to carefully pick and choose what games I spend my spare time with, and I have (obviously) chose to play the AAA games.

COD4, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Halo 3, Mario Galaxy, Crysis, Orange Box, Rock Band, Professor Layton.....all games that are (at least in my opinion) AAA games.

And you know what.....I'm having a much better time than I ever did playing a mix of every game, by leaving out the crap.

Now, not to say there aren't AAA games that are also crap (to some people), and also not to say that there are lower rated games that arent better than alot of the critically acclaimed games, because there are many that are, but when I have to budget my time so very carefully, a few AAA games make me happier than a tone of crap.

Would you be happier to give up the crap and go only AAA, or are you so desperate for games that you are willing to buy whatever comes your way?

AA7

NO!! scores doesnt decide anything for me!! It some reviewers dont like a particular game doesnt mean I am not going to like it.AAA's are great additions to game library but some games are better in their own way even if they dont score AAA.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Nope. I just don't have the want to play some of those "blockbuster hits".

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
And miss out on MGS3, TLoZ: Twilight Princess, every Guitar Hero, every Ace Attorney game, every Ace Combat game... the list goes on. No, I wouldn't be happier.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

No, because AAA generally means "universally good", where as some no-AAA games are still amazing, but only for certain people. Take LOST for example, I think its a fantastic game for hardcore LOST fans for the sheer reason that it does a great job recapping the first two seasons.

M3tro1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 M3tro1d
Member since 2008 • 223 Posts

I've been doing that for a long time as I don't like spending money on games anyway. I can happily go a few months without anew game if there isn't what I consider a must buy game out there. If a game scores around 70% across many gaming sites I'm simply not interested as I now I have better games sitting at home I could play.But I do buy games like Lost Odyssey,games that score in the 8 margin. I will also buy Condemned 2.

I wouldn't say I've given up crap games as I never bought them in the first place.

Sh3rpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sh3rpa
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts

so you will only be playing games Gamestop tells you to? Or that website that averages them tells you to?

thats some sheepish (no system wars) thought right there.

I mean how you gonna let some company/rag/blog tell you whats "good".

Like someone else said, some of the greatest games ever have been crapped on by this website and others.

you gotta choose what appeals to you personally, maybe listen to word of mouth of people you know/respect, and maybe take into consideration what a website like this says about a game you never heard about, or have no interest in the subject or genre.

I think those three things, in that order, are how you should choose what to play.

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
wow tc thats......this is probably one of the worst topics ive read, and its so ridiculously flawed that i dont even know where to start, first of all as stated above AAA means universaly good, and sometimes those games arent for everyone, believe it or not some people can have more fun playing a 7.5 game then a 9.5 game sometimes because the expectations for the 9.5 game are so high
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
God no, there are a lot of games that are AAA that I find to be lackluster and not worth my time. While on the other hand quite a few non-AAA titles that I love to play.
Veterngamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Veterngamer
Member since 2007 • 2037 Posts

AA7

REALLY!?!?

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
My best experiences fall into the 6-7-8 category.
mrjam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 mrjam0
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

AA7

agreed. i dont have time for crap. times precious to me, so i save it for the bes of the best

AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AA7
Note, im talking about my personal AAA (games like Beyond Good and evil, Psyconauts, Indigo Prophecy), ratings mean little to me.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

AA7

Why are you acting as if you discovered gun powder? Everyone buys what interests them. Or did you force yourself to play crap games before? :|

AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AA7

God no, there are a lot of games that are AAA that I find to be lackluster and not worth my time. While on the other hand quite a few non-AAA titles that I love to play.Ibacai

I agree, im talking about my personal AAA, games that I see as the best In My Personal Opinion.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Note, im talking about my personal AAA (games like Beyond Good and evil, Psyconauts, Indigo Prophecy), ratings mean little to me.AA7
Ahhh, I must have missed that part. But my answer is still the same. I love some of the games I rate 8.5 a below.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
If a game isnt AAA I dont even waste my time with it because non AAA games are all gabage and never should of been developed:|
bf2nutta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bf2nutta
Member since 2007 • 1356 Posts

wow impresive... and here was me thinking I could play games for enjoyment.... not pick them up on how some critic rates them.... I will buy games if its something I interested in them

Yes I look at reviews but also look at other things like demo's, video previews and if it's by a dev where I like their previous games e.t.c... I couldn't really give a damm about the score the only person I could give a damm who likes it, is me

AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AA7
[QUOTE="AA7"]

Wintry_Flutist

Why are you acting as if you discovered gun powder? Everyone buys what interests them. Or did you force yourself to play crap games before? :|

If you are going to be a jerk, go away. You know what I mean. There are games we all play that are weak, but we play them anyway. Im not doing that anymore. If i dont love a game, im not going to play it.

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
Note, im talking about my personal AAA (games like Beyond Good and evil, Psyconauts, Indigo Prophecy), ratings mean little to me.AA7
Nope. Even then, games I wouldn't rate AAA I'll still play. For example, I would rate Project Sylpheed on the 360 as a 7/10, tops. But I still play it, a lot. Why? Because it's hella fun.
Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

Not every game that is scored AAA is the best there are games that get lower scores like Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Heavenly sword, Uncharted and others that are way better that some AAA games.

That proves that scores shouldn't be taking seriously.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

I'm in the same situation as you. if i was younger and had more time i'd be sure NOT to follow up on your advice, cuase i would like to try out far more games. and lots of medium rated games can be great fun.... not to mention all the great arcade games.. but because of less time i have to make a choice.. and ofcourse then you choose games that have a high chance of being good.

The only game i tried out lately that sucked (i just had to see for myself) was Lair, and that game truly sucks.

AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AA7

Not every game that is scored AAA is the best there are games that get lower scores like Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Heavenly sword, Uncharted and others that are way better that some AAA games.

That proves that scores shouldn't be taking seriously.

Star650

I listed 2 of the four of those under my personal AAA list in the post.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

AA7
Agreed. I also only pick up the good games. I also don't pick up some of the good games. Take Call of Duty 4 for example. Everybody loves it, yet I have no interest in it for one reason. The singleplayer is short. I have so many online multiplayer games it isn't funny. I was looking for a good long singleplayer, and CoD4 failed to deliver. Not only do I have more to do, so less time for gaming, but gaming in general isn't cheap. So I can't see wasting money on a ok game. Not to mention gaming isn't my main hobby anyways. Fishing takes that spot. But AAA is what I consider AAA, not what some website considers it.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

If you are going to be a jerk, go away. You know what I mean. There are games we all play that are weak, but we play them anyway. Im not doing that anymore. If i dont love a game, im not going to play it.

AA7

Then be welcome to the world where people do the obvious things to do.

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts
I am in a similar situation, college, girlfriend, work. So yeah you can't have all the games, the problem with going AAA only is whos rating do you trust? I sure as hell won't trust GS..
slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts
Just stick to one platform, or two.
mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts
my fav game of all time wasnt AAA
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

Well, I think I understand the angle you're coming from and I've started doing something similar.

Basically, if a game doesn't interest me, I'm not playing it. This might seem like a Captain Obvious moment, but allow me to clarify. I (and I'm sure most people here) know enough about the upcoming games for the systems we own to not need a hype thread to help us get interested. Almost every game I've bought in the past few years is something I've been interested in. But the only ones I tend to feel really burned by are the ones I got interested in through something like a hype thread on these forums a week before launch. You read about it, it sounds amazing, and then a week later you're buying it and asking yourself, "yeah, everyone gave this high scores and the other users on the forum seem majorly interested....but am I really having fun?"

A recent example for me would be Half-Life 2. After years of glowing endorsements on the forums, I picked up the Orange Box. I was pleasantly surprised with Portal, but HL2 bored me after about 8 hours of play. I was never personally interested in it, but with all the buzz, it was hard to resist. So now I own a game that I'm likely to never play again.

So for me, unless I've never heard of it before, I avoid recommendations on these forums. If a game scores modestly well (just say a 6 or higher) and I'm personally interested, that's enough for me to buy in most of the time.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

my fav game of all time wasnt AAAmingo123

ofcourse i'm curious

Michael85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Michael85
Member since 2005 • 3971 Posts
Megaman Legends was a better game than half of the 9.0+ crap I've played on GS and GS gave it like a 7.2.
i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 i_like_pizza
Member since 2002 • 4683 Posts
I only ever buy games that are AAA in my opinion. My opinion is the one that counts to me, not GS's (or anyone else's for that matter).
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
I don't buy games if they are rated AAA on GS. Its just a sign of poor taste. If you don't have your own opinion then you suck and deserve money to spend on games imo.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

If a game isnt AAA I dont even waste my time with it because non AAA games are all gabage and never should of been developed:|Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Then why would you buy brawl? :]

karram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 karram
Member since 2006 • 1682 Posts

No, because AAA generally means "universally good", where as some no-AAA games are still amazing, but only for certain people. Take LOST for example, I think its a fantastic game for hardcore LOST fans for the sheer reason that it does a great job recapping the first two seasons.

rimnet00
Agree, The game is great.
AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AA7
[QUOTE="rimnet00"]

ma7moud93

Agree, The game is great.

Great....im not sure about that.

Akumasoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Akumasoul
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts
This felt like a blog I was force to read. Anyways, I think you're doing a great job balancing your time well. Shows maturity. I like that.
Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts
I have the "Good Taste" badge on my profile and it sickens me. I think I'll go add Big Rigs and Lair to my game collection just to try and get rid of it. AAA only snobs make me sick to my stomach.
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I usually buy games that I've been researching that scores an 8 or higher. $60 bucks is still pretty expensive, so I'm very selective on what games I'm going to pick up. There's a lot of crap games out there, but I'm just glad we could rent these games. So I wouldn't say I only buy AAA games, I buy the games that have AAA replay value.

Lothenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lothenon
Member since 2003 • 1177 Posts
Two words: Lost Odyssey.
pielover666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 pielover666
Member since 2005 • 531 Posts

I choose games that interest me whether they're AAA or not. I've got a number of A-AA games that I like as much or more as some AAA games.

TDLlama
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
Score doesn't affect me to much, normally I play games around 7->10 rating.
Felix77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Felix77
Member since 2004 • 1713 Posts
I usually buy games that I know will take a long time to beat but still remain fun. Or I guess what I mean to say, games that have a lot of replay value. To me there is no point in spending 60 bucks on a game that you will only play once or maybe twice. Most of those types are AAA but score does not really affect my game buying decision, I just happen to like a lot of the games that score well haha.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

I guess the TC's question (the $60 question, so to speak) boils down to this:

You've only got time to play a few games, and you don't time to look at the games in depth. Given only nutshell descriptions of the games, how are you most likely to get a game where you find yourself satisfied?