I'll be glad when Sony is gone, they have brought nothing to gaming really

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"]They've just brought me a barn bursting amount of distinguished, illustrious, out of sight, out of this world and outstanding exclusives. PS4 is a go, lock and muther fuking loaded. Strap one on TC, gonna be balls to the wall, petal to the metal thrill ride. Day fuking 1. Thank you Sony. DarkLink77
:lol: I love you, Heil

Really. You don't think the schtick has run its course?
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Time for you to leave TC.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

Good father of heaven, did you just compare Xbox Live to PS+?, also what with all this Sony online being weaker BS i keep hearing. Im not an avid online gamer but i game online alot and so far i have not experienced anything different with both, yea my friend has an Xbox where i played Halo4 n MW3 on.

Also keep in mind, the PS2 had an avid online fanbase with SOCOM series, honestly im of the opinion you are not well versed on the points you are trying to validate. In a recap, you would want Sony to leave gaming and just Nintendo and Microsoft has the only competitors, i duno bout you but i would invest in a Japanese made electronic device over an American one anyday, yea it sounds biased but its a COO (country of origin effect, google it), especially given the Xbox360 red ring fiasco which forced me to not buy anymore of their systems, id say the COO was on the money. Also theres something bout American firms capitalist brains that disgust me n perhaps thats why its not suprising when Microsoft can charge for a component of the game that should be free as written on the box worth $60

megaspiderweb09

No, you just didn't understand the point I was making. Microsoft found an amazing revenue stream by designing a great service, from the start, that people were willing to pay for. Sony on the other hand were light years behind at launch and couldn't possibly charge for a service that was inferior to their competition. They have realised that a subs based service is a great cash generator and so have designed PS+ because they couldn't just start charging for a service they had already advertised as free.

To then go on to talk about American capitalism being disgusting as if Japanese capitalism is any different....come on man.

I understand that you like Japanese hardware but you are obviously viewing it with rose tinted spectacles (google it), otherwise you would remember the terrible hardware failures that plagued the PS1 and PS2. Then there is the horrible software that the PS3 has been saddled with from the start. If you look at it today then it isn't a million miles away from the MS system but it has taken nearly 6 years to get there. In fact ALL they have done is copy what MS had from day one, across all games in a unified service, and it still isn't as fluid and still feels disparate. I could provide a ton of examples here but i'm sure you actually know what they are already (if you have truely used both extensively since launch).

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

Time for you to leave TC.

archvile_78

Thanks, however the reality for you is that Sony is likely to be gone before I am.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#206 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

I was waiting for you to respond... so here's my counter-response:

Compact Disc and CD-ROM -Sega Mega-CD

• Sony first released the Compact Disc in 1982 and the CD-ROM in 1985, long before the Sega CD. And for the record, the first console with CD-ROM support was the NEC PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16, which supported the format since 1988, years before Sega CD - Sony didn't invent the CD at all however. Sony and Phillips licensed the idea together from it's inventor. So not only did they not invent it, they didn't bring it to gaming first either.

Grip handle (PlayStation Controller) -N64 Controller came first

• The PlayStation first released in 1994. The N64 first released in 1996. It was Sony that introduced the grip handle to game controller design - Correct, my bad - it was the NES Max controller that had them first.

Dual analog stick control (Dual Analog Controller) -Analogue sticks had been around for ages, but yes they added one more.

• Dual analog stick control is the format used by the majority of AAA games today. Granted, but not something Sony designed themselves.

DVD and DVD-ROM (PS2) -Great for movies!

• The vast majority of video games on the Wii and both Xbox consoles have been released on DVD-ROM - Not really sure of the point here, DVD's are a good format and and did first appear in a Sony console but are really just an evolution of the Optical Disc.

Broadband connectivity (PS2) -True but MS released a much better service at approximately the same time and obviously PC had it before. Hardly innovation, more evolution.

• PS2 released two years before Xbox, therefore PS2 was the first console with broadband connectivity. And we are talking about consoles here, not PC - Actually we are talking about PC. My original post clearly states gaming, not console gaming. It mentions operating systems as well. Sony got something to market first but it was a natural evolution from the PC - Also the PS2 released a year and a half before the XBOX but did not come with the adaptor as standard, unlike the XBOX. It was a much later hardware revision that added it in.

Motion-detecting camera (EyeToy) -Both Sega and Nintendo had 'motion' technology out long before this. Regardless, it was innovation even if it was irrelevant to any self respecting gamer.

• I don't mean just any motion technology, but specifically the motion-detecting camera (i.e. the basis for Microsoft's Kinect), which was first introduced to consoles by Sony. The only precedent I can think of is the 2000 Konami light-gun shooter Police 911 in the arcades - Ok, not really going to argue this as I don't see it as anything worthwhile being brought to gaming.

Blu-Ray (PS3) -Great for movies!

• Blu-Ray allows much greater capacity for video games than the DVD (itself another Sony innovation) - Blu-Ray is not a Sony invention at all, in fact it is part of a major conglomeration of manufacturers. It was put in the PS3 not to improve games but to win a format war against it's competitor and is backed by people like Disney and Time Warner. In fact hardly a single company involved in the making of Blu-Ray has anything to do with gaming at all and Sony pushed it more for it's film division than anything else. It could also be considered part of the failure of Sony this gen by pushing up the cost of the console and delaying it's release.Show me how Blu-Ray has improved gaming beyond uncompressed audio and long movie scenes.

1080pOnly

Hadn't seen your response so sorry for the delay. Here is my counter-counter-response ;).

Now it's time for my counter-counter-counter...

"Sony didn't invent the CD at all however. Sony and Phillips licensed the idea together from it's inventor. So not only did they not invent it, they didn't bring it to gaming first either."

You could say the same for many of the Nintendo innovations and most of the Microsoft innovations. Regardless of where the optical disc idea originated from, ultimately it was Sony and Phillips that created the Compact Disc format together. And more importantly, it was Sony and Phillips that created the CD-ROM format, which was a major innovation for gaming as a whole. Also, NEC and Sega clearly licensed the CD-ROM format from Sony before they entered the gaming industry.

"Correct, my bad - it was the NES Max controller that had them first."

Nice discovery. Still, the rectangular shape of the handles make it look quite uncomfortable to hold. The PlayStation handles were rounded and comfortable to hold, an important evolution for game controller design.

"Granted, but not something Sony designed themselves."

It was Sony that designed the Dual Analog Controller. They did not "license" the dual analog thumb-stick idea from anyone else.

"Not really sure of the point here, DVD's are a good format and and did first appear in a Sony console but are really just an evolution of the Optical Disc."

Considering how even their rivals rely on the DVD-ROM format, I'd say it's a pretty damn important evolution for gaming.

"Actually we are talking about PC. My original post clearly states gaming, not console gaming. It mentions operating systems as well. Sony got something to market first but it was a natural evolution from the PC - Also the PS2 released a year and a half before the XBOX but did not come with the adaptor as standard, unlike the XBOX. It was a much later hardware revision that added it in."

In that case, I already made it clear in my original post that I was talking about "console gaming" specifically. Besides, we could make the same arguments about Nintendo and especially Microsoft. And if you're going to bring up PC gaming, then I can just as easily bring up arcade gaming, which played an even bigger role on console gaming in the past. As for the Xbox, you were criticizing me before about mentioning how Sony introduced built-in force feedback, yet here you are doing the same thing by claiming Microsoft introduced built-in broadband, even though Sony introduced broadband to consoles before it.

"Ok, not really going to argue this as I don't see it as anything worthwhile being brought to gaming."

Maybe not for hardcore gamers, but it means a lot for the casual gaming market.

"Blu-Ray is not a Sony invention at all, in fact it is part of a major conglomeration of manufacturers. It was put in the PS3 not to improve games but to win a format war against it's competitor and is backed by people like Disney and Time Warner. In fact hardly a single company involved in the making of Blu-Ray has anything to do with gaming at all and Sony pushed it more for it's film division than anything else. It could also be considered part of the failure of Sony this gen by pushing up the cost of the console and delaying it's release. Show me how Blu-Ray has improved gaming beyond uncompressed audio and long movie scenes."

Blu-Ray is primarily a Sony innovation. They were the ones leading the development and the ones that released the first prototype. Other companies contributed, but it was ultimately Sony running the show. As for whether it's relevant to gaming, since when is more storage space a bad thing? Higher storage space not only allows for more video and audio, but also more higher-resolution textures and other data relevant to the gameplay. PS3 games like Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 look a lot better because of all that storage space.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#207 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Really 11 pages? 11 pages....Eleven pages? for this? He didn't even have to try.
PS360Wii4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 PS360Wii4eva
Member since 2010 • 297 Posts
I'm pretty sure Blu-Ray (and firmware) made the PS3 the least copied/hacked system in history.
Life-is-a-Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Life-is-a-Game
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

Saying any of the big three didn't bring anything great or new to the gaming industry is so fulish it really hurts me from the inside :(

bufu21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 bufu21
Member since 2006 • 1214 Posts

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

I was waiting for you to respond... so here's my counter-response:

Compact Disc and CD-ROM -Sega Mega-CD

• Sony first released the Compact Disc in 1982 and the CD-ROM in 1985, long before the Sega CD. And for the record, the first console with CD-ROM support was the NEC PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16, which supported the format since 1988, years before Sega CD - Sony didn't invent the CD at all however. Sony and Phillips licensed the idea together from it's inventor. So not only did they not invent it, they didn't bring it to gaming first either.

Grip handle (PlayStation Controller) -N64 Controller came first

• The PlayStation first released in 1994. The N64 first released in 1996. It was Sony that introduced the grip handle to game controller design - Correct, my bad - it was the NES Max controller that had them first.

Dual analog stick control (Dual Analog Controller) -Analogue sticks had been around for ages, but yes they added one more.

• Dual analog stick control is the format used by the majority of AAA games today. Granted, but not something Sony designed themselves.

DVD and DVD-ROM (PS2) -Great for movies!

• The vast majority of video games on the Wii and both Xbox consoles have been released on DVD-ROM - Not really sure of the point here, DVD's are a good format and and did first appear in a Sony console but are really just an evolution of the Optical Disc.

Broadband connectivity (PS2) -True but MS released a much better service at approximately the same time and obviously PC had it before. Hardly innovation, more evolution.

• PS2 released two years before Xbox, therefore PS2 was the first console with broadband connectivity. And we are talking about consoles here, not PC - Actually we are talking about PC. My original post clearly states gaming, not console gaming. It mentions operating systems as well. Sony got something to market first but it was a natural evolution from the PC - Also the PS2 released a year and a half before the XBOX but did not come with the adaptor as standard, unlike the XBOX. It was a much later hardware revision that added it in.

Motion-detecting camera (EyeToy) -Both Sega and Nintendo had 'motion' technology out long before this. Regardless, it was innovation even if it was irrelevant to any self respecting gamer.

• I don't mean just any motion technology, but specifically the motion-detecting camera (i.e. the basis for Microsoft's Kinect), which was first introduced to consoles by Sony. The only precedent I can think of is the 2000 Konami light-gun shooter Police 911 in the arcades - Ok, not really going to argue this as I don't see it as anything worthwhile being brought to gaming.

Blu-Ray (PS3) -Great for movies!

• Blu-Ray allows much greater capacity for video games than the DVD (itself another Sony innovation) - Blu-Ray is not a Sony invention at all, in fact it is part of a major conglomeration of manufacturers. It was put in the PS3 not to improve games but to win a format war against it's competitor and is backed by people like Disney and Time Warner. In fact hardly a single company involved in the making of Blu-Ray has anything to do with gaming at all and Sony pushed it more for it's film division than anything else. It could also be considered part of the failure of Sony this gen by pushing up the cost of the console and delaying it's release.Show me how Blu-Ray has improved gaming beyond uncompressed audio and long movie scenes.

Jag85

Hadn't seen your response so sorry for the delay. Here is my counter-counter-response ;).

Now it's time for my counter-counter-counter...

"Sony didn't invent the CD at all however. Sony and Phillips licensed the idea together from it's inventor. So not only did they not invent it, they didn't bring it to gaming first either."

You could say the same for many of the Nintendo innovations and most of the Microsoft innovations. Regardless of where the optical disc idea originated from, ultimately it was Sony and Phillips that created the Compact Disc format together. And more importantly, it was Sony and Phillips that created the CD-ROM format, which was a major innovation for gaming as a whole. Also, NEC and Sega clearly licensed the CD-ROM format from Sony before they entered the gaming industry.

"Correct, my bad - it was the NES Max controller that had them first."

Nice discovery. Still, the rectangular shape of the handles make it look quite uncomfortable to hold. The PlayStation handles were rounded and comfortable to hold, an important evolution for game controller design.

"Granted, but not something Sony designed themselves."

It was Sony that designed the Dual Analog Controller. They did not "license" the dual analog thumb-stick idea from anyone else.

"Not really sure of the point here, DVD's are a good format and and did first appear in a Sony console but are really just an evolution of the Optical Disc."

Considering how even their rivals rely on the DVD-ROM format, I'd say it's a pretty damn important evolution for gaming.

"Actually we are talking about PC. My original post clearly states gaming, not console gaming. It mentions operating systems as well. Sony got something to market first but it was a natural evolution from the PC - Also the PS2 released a year and a half before the XBOX but did not come with the adaptor as standard, unlike the XBOX. It was a much later hardware revision that added it in."

In that case, I already made it clear in my original post that I was talking about "console gaming" specifically. Besides, we could make the same arguments about Nintendo and especially Microsoft. And if you're going to bring up PC gaming, then I can just as easily bring up arcade gaming, which played an even bigger role on console gaming in the past. As for the Xbox, you were criticizing me before about mentioning how Sony introduced built-in force feedback, yet here you are doing the same thing by claiming Microsoft introduced built-in broadband, even though Sony introduced broadband to consoles before it.

"Ok, not really going to argue this as I don't see it as anything worthwhile being brought to gaming."

Maybe not for hardcore gamers, but it means a lot for the casual gaming market.

"Blu-Ray is not a Sony invention at all, in fact it is part of a major conglomeration of manufacturers. It was put in the PS3 not to improve games but to win a format war against it's competitor and is backed by people like Disney and Time Warner. In fact hardly a single company involved in the making of Blu-Ray has anything to do with gaming at all and Sony pushed it more for it's film division than anything else. It could also be considered part of the failure of Sony this gen by pushing up the cost of the console and delaying it's release. Show me how Blu-Ray has improved gaming beyond uncompressed audio and long movie scenes."

Blu-Ray is primarily a Sony innovation. They were the ones leading the development and the ones that released the first prototype. Other companies contributed, but it was ultimately Sony running the show. As for whether it's relevant to gaming, since when is more storage space a bad thing? Higher storage space not only allows for more video and audio, but also more higher-resolution textures and other data relevant to the gameplay. PS3 games like Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 look a lot better because of all that storage space.

What about the EYE TOY SING STAR