IGN: Shaun White Takes Wii by Storm

This topic is locked from further discussion.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts
by Matt Casamassina

January 26, 2009 - Third-party publisher Ubisoft has found a success story in the Wii-exclusive stunt racer Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip. The title, one of the first to capitalize on Nintendo's Balance Board peripheral (now used by more than 4.5 million Wii Fit owners), sold to 470,000 gamers in North America through December of last year, according to data released to IGN by the NPD Group. Good numbers by any tally, but they are all the more impressive when you consider that Road Trip released on November 16 and therefore amassed nearly 500,000 in sales in about a month and a half.

"The success of Shaun White Snowboarding is a significant milestone for Ubisoft," said Tony Key, senior vice president of sales and marketing at Ubisoft, when called for comment. "As the company's first foray in the action sports genre and our first franchise tied to a professional athlete, we are delighted to see the game performing well. Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip for Wii has been particularly popular among consumers as the game is compatible with the Wii Balance Board allowing players to simulate the snowboarding experience and be physically thrust into the action."

Although some analysts have suggested that the Wii Balance Board is a one-trick pony, destined for obscurity as soon as the novelty of Wii Fit wears thin, this new data certainly suggests otherwise – undoubtedly to the delight of Ubisoft. If sales of the 8.4-rated Road Trip keep up, the title will before mid-year surpass Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids to become the third-party's most lucrative Wii franchise.

link

But decent third-party games don't sell well on the Wii, so this must not really exist...

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
that is nice to hear that a game that got a good score and review for something that is third party. i kind of wish that game came to the 360 i think the other shaun white for the 360 are different.
Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fire-of-Njozi
Member since 2009 • 468 Posts
But decent third-party games don't sell well on the Wii, so this must not really exist...

svetzenlether
does one exception change the overall trend? If the Detroit Lions had won a game, would that make them "winners"? or would 1-15 make them losers still?
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
not to long ago i thought ubi said wii sucks for third partys and is filled with sholveware i hope they all get cancer or boneitis
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

not to long ago i thought ubi said wii sucks for third partys and is filled with sholveware i hope they all get cancer or boneitissurrealnumber5

My only regret in life is having boneitis.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Only those who don't follow sales continue to use the meme that third party games don't sell on the Wii. It's an old and tired argument.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Only those who don't follow sales continue to use the meme that third party games don't sell on the Wii. It's an old and tired argument.Zhengi
indeed.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts
[QUOTE="svetzenlether"]But decent third-party games don't sell well on the Wii, so this must not really exist...

Fire-of-Njozi

does one exception change the overall trend? If the Detroit Lions had won a game, would that make them "winners"? or would 1-15 make them losers still?

That is very solid reasoning there. Sadly most fans of anything would rather look past the fifteen losses to focus on the one win so they don't have to face the fact their team sucks.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zhengi
[QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"][QUOTE="svetzenlether"]But decent third-party games don't sell well on the Wii, so this must not really exist...

Jade_Monkey

That is very solid reasoning there. Sadly most fans of anything would rather look past the fifteen losses to focus on the one win so they don't have to face the fact their team sucks.

Maybe you two should actually look at the scoreboard. Third party games are selling on the Wii. The record isn't 1-15. It's 15-1.
malkiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 malkiko
Member since 2008 • 189 Posts

Does a third-party game on the Wii have to sell at least one million copies in order to "sell well"? Can it "sell well" even if it sells at least 100,000 copies?

Not every game has the budget of a Final Fantasy VII or Grand Theft Auto IV.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"][QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"] does one exception change the overall trend? If the Detroit Lions had won a game, would that make them "winners"? or would 1-15 make them losers still?Zhengi

Maybe you two should actually look at the scoreboard. Third party games are selling on the Wii. The record isn't 1-15. It's 15-1.

to be fair the sholveware being on the wii its more like 7-9 but that is still respectable
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 surrealnumber5

Does a third-party game on the Wii have to sell at least one million copies in order to "sell well"? Can it "sell well" even if it sells at least 100,000 copies?

Not every game has the budget of a Final Fantasy VII or Grand Theft Auto IV.

malkiko
i think 400k is the line for selling well for low budget games on the wii where 1mill is the line for hd low budget console games
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jade_Monkey
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"][QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"] does one exception change the overall trend? If the Detroit Lions had won a game, would that make them "winners"? or would 1-15 make them losers still?Zhengi

I wasn't judging the Wii on just sales of third party games but quality also. Can you honestly say that there are more quality third party games for the Wii than poor quality games ?

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zhengi
[QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

surrealnumber5

to be fair the sholveware being on the wii its more like 7-9 but that is still respectable

No one is talking about game quality. Why must people keep talking about this when they lose a sales argument?
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zhengi

Jade_Monkey

I wasn't judging the Wii on just sales of third party games but quality also. Can you honestly say that there are more quality third party games for the Wii than poor quality games ?

Where exactly in your post did you talk about quality?
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="Zhengi"] Maybe you two should actually look at the scoreboard. Third party games are selling on the Wii. The record isn't 1-15. It's 15-1. Zhengi

No one is talking about game quality. Why must people keep talking about this when they lose a sales argument?

my bad but still seeing as most sholveware does not sell i still stick by my last post. be it quality or third party sales their is almost a direct correlation
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
250K is the usual amount needed to sell for a wii game to turn profit. That's why most shovleware puts its dev in the red.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jade_Monkey
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"][QUOTE="Zhengi"] Maybe you two should actually look at the scoreboard. Third party games are selling on the Wii. The record isn't 1-15. It's 15-1. Zhengi

I don't think you got the metaphor. I was refering to the 15 losses as 15 poor games and the one wina s a good game.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zhengi
[QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]to be fair the sholveware being on the wii its more like 7-9 but that is still respectable surrealnumber5

my bad but still seeing as most sholveware does not sell i still stick by my last post. be it quality or third party sales their is almost a direct correlation

I'm fine with shovelware not selling. I see no problems with that :)
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zhengi

Jade_Monkey

I don't think you got the metaphor. I was refering to the 15 losses as 15 poor games and the one wina s a good game.

It's the same for the PS2 and all other consoles that had the highest install base. 1-15. So what is your point?
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jade_Monkey
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"][QUOTE="Zhengi"] Where exactly in your post did you talk about quality?Zhengi

It's the same for the PS2 and all other consoles that had the highest install base. 1-15. So what is your point?

I was around for the PS2 and I can't honestly say I have seen amounts of shovelware like the Wii has in my 16 years of gaming. I could be wrong, I am just going by what I see in stores.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zhengi

Jade_Monkey

I was around for the PS2 and I can't honestly say I have seen amounts of shovelware like the Wii has in my 16 years of gaming. I could be wrong, I am just going by what I see in stores.

No, there is plenty of shovelware on all systems that had the highest install base. You just noticed that there were more games of quality. The Wii lacks this now, but I think that is changing now and the Wii's 2009 line up is solid.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jade_Monkey
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"][QUOTE="Zhengi"] It's the same for the PS2 and all other consoles that had the highest install base. 1-15. So what is your point?Zhengi

No, there is plenty of shovelware on all systems that had the highest install base. You just noticed that there were more games of quality. The Wii lacks this now, but I think that is changing now and the Wii's 2009 line up is solid.

For your sake you better hope so or it will be a long year.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zhengi

Jade_Monkey

For your sake you better hope so or it will be a long year.

Why for my sake? I have a Wii, DS, PS3, 360, and a gaming PC. I have plenty to keep me busy. In fact, I don't have as much time as I would like since I do have a job.
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

Jade_Monkey

NO system has had more quality games than bad quality!

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jade_Monkey
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"][QUOTE="Zhengi"] Maybe you two should actually look at the scoreboard. Third party games are selling on the Wii. The record isn't 1-15. It's 15-1. svetzenlether

maybe so but I don't think any system known to man has had such a bad ratio.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="svetzenlether"][QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

Jade_Monkey

maybe so but I don't think any system known to man has had such a bad ratio.

you were not gaming around the crash or ps1 era were you
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jade_Monkey

you were not gaming around the crash or ps1 era were yousurrealnumber5

Been gaming since 1992.