IGN Rumormill: 'PSP 2 is on the horizon'

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Fire-of-Njozi
Member since 2009 • 468 Posts

Rumor: PSP 2 Coming Soon
Sources suggest that the PSP 2 is real, touch screen-enabled, and coming soon.
by Scott Lowe

January 26, 2009 - The evolution of the PSP has been one of small incremental updates rather than drastic aesthetic and hardware reconfigurations. Since its debut in 2005 the PSP has undergone two mild hardware adjustments with the PSP-2000 and the PSP-3000. While the 2000 series altered the handheld in terms of form -- slimming down the hardware by 33% in weight, and 19% in thickness -- the 3000 series made some notable functional improvements, such as a built-in microphone. The 2000 and 3000 series ensured the continued success of the PSP brand across North America and Europe, many gamers have been clamoring for a full-fledged PSP 2 for months.

Although Sony has consistently denied that any such product is in development, rumors and predictions have been circling for over a year about a forthcoming PSP 2. Last week we posted our predictions for the seemingly inevitable sequel to the popular handheld, citing hardware improvements like dual thumbsticks and a touch screen interface, but now we've learned that our hopes and dreams for the system may be, in part, dead on the money.

IGN has learned from several credible sources that the PSP 2 is indeed on the horizon, and will be packing multi-touch technology. According to our sources, the PSP 2 will feature a widescreen multi-touch interface comparable to that of the iPhone for both in-game control and menu navigation. Unfortunately, we were unable to secure any additional details on the alleged new system, but this latest batch of rumors seems to fall in line with other recent claims orbiting the vast recesses of the internet.

This latest batch of rumors comes on the heels of an allegedly official Sony survey leaked by enthusiast blog, PSPFanboy.com, which asked consumers what features would compel them the most to buy a new PSP. Among the choices offered by the survey were a touch screen interface, Bluetooth support, an integrated hard drive, GPS, and nationwide wireless networking. If true, the survey seems to further suggest that Sony is in the process of drastically revising the PSP's core hardware.

We contacted Sony representatives for further comment on the matter, but their response was unsurprisingly straight out of the rumor-response playbook, "We can't comment on rumors or speculation."

For more on the PSP 2, stay tuned to IGN.com.

Link

Personally, i think it's about time. they road the original PSP a long way. Time for bigger and better. All the better for them if they beat Nintendo to market a year or so before the DS2 (or whatever the DS sequel will be called) launches. take some tips from Microsoft, if you will.

fanboy-buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 fanboy-buster
Member since 2006 • 4594 Posts
You know what is funny about the horizon, you can never reach it...
remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 remaGloohcSdlO
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
Sounds awesome... and since my PSP is a dust collector right now (played all the good games) this can't come soon enough.
SynisterGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SynisterGamer
Member since 2008 • 806 Posts

I guess it's a good thing I didn't get a PSP last week.

Maybe they will have a lot more games that would distract me from my DS.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
I dont care what it has as long as it has GAMES. Now I know the PSP has a decent library of games, but it just seemed like many were sloppy PS2 ports with poor load times and terrible control schemes. However, there were a few "console-like" experinces on the PSP, for example the GTAs and God of War. They felt so natural on the system. I would be excited about a new PSP. Mine is currently in a box somewhere in my closet. Only game I'm looking forward to is Resistance Retribution and even then I think I'll be passing.
Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fire-of-Njozi
[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"]I dont care what it has as long as it has GAMES. Now I know the PSP has a decent library of games, but it just seemed like many were sloppy PS2 ports with poor load times and terrible control schemes. However, there were a few "console-like" experinces on the PSP, for example the GTAs and God of War. They felt so natural on the system. I would be excited about a new PSP. Mine is currently in a box somewhere in my closet. Only game I'm looking forward to is Resistance Retribution and even then I think I'll be passing.

we can all hope.
Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts
Touch Screen for the win!
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts
Let's hope they can stop all the firmware hacking... that way they can really get some developer backing the new hardware. The psp was a good system, it just really didnt get the support it needed
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts
[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"]I dont care what it has as long as it has GAMES. Now I know the PSP has a decent library of games, but it just seemed like many were sloppy PS2 ports with poor load times and terrible control schemes. However, there were a few "console-like" experinces on the PSP, for example the GTAs and God of War. They felt so natural on the system. I would be excited about a new PSP. Mine is currently in a box somewhere in my closet. Only game I'm looking forward to is Resistance Retribution and even then I think I'll be passing.

I cosign this statement. Although I've had a better experience with the PSP since I like RPGs. :P But yeah, a new system would be nice, and they should make it harder to hack, if not hack proof, so Developers won't be scared to put their games on the system. That and some more original IPs and Sony would have another buy from me.
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
Let's hope they can stop all the firmware hacking... that way they can really get some developer backing the new hardware. The psp was a good system, it just really didnt get the support it neededlundy86_4
I would agree.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
I though touch screens were gimmicks lol
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
I hope Sony makes it a gaming device and only a gaming device instead of adding a bunch of unneeded features. I also went 2 analog sticks and a built in hdd.
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
more hardware for nintendo ti kill next gen. personally speaking it if has another analog stick its cool and gravy, but it ah suck compared to dual touch screen for first person shooters.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
Lets just hope it has more support than the original did, and a second analog stick.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts
I hope Sony makes it a gaming device and only a gaming device instead of adding a bunch of unneeded features. I also went 2 analog sticks and a built in hdd.kage_53
Multimedia options aren't that bad, it's just when they only focus on it like they did for the PSP1.
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
I though touch screens were gimmicks lolgoblaa
keep copying nintendo, if you wanna succeed. *yeah, i said it* all these useless things that was put into tech/hardware, nintendo manage to popularize and made it mandatory.
Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fire-of-Njozi
[QUOTE="goblaa"]I though touch screens were gimmicks lolRahnyc4
keep copying nintendo, if you wanna succeed. *yeah, i said it* all these useless things that was put into tech/hardware, nintendo manage to popularize and made it mandatory.

I agree 100%. Nintendo knows the way to go.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

Nintendo didn't really make the touch screen mandatory. I am not saying that they did not make it popular, they just did not make it the standard. I would say Apple did, right after the iPhone came out. Then everybody and their mom had to have a touchscreen device.

malkiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 malkiko
Member since 2008 • 189 Posts
I though touch screens were gimmicks lolgoblaa
And so do widescreen films in the 1950s as a way to draw people from television back to the cinema. Look how 16:9 has caught on by the HDTV format, widescreen TVs, and now games played on widescreen. If touch screens on handheld systems are gimmicks, what would Nintendo think of next? Touch screen capabilities on a home console controller?
Gay-Lord-Perry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gay-Lord-Perry
Member since 2009 • 125 Posts
sonys not that stupid the psp is like what? not even 4 years old
malkiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 malkiko
Member since 2008 • 189 Posts
sonys not that stupid the psp is like what? not even 4 years oldGay-Lord-Perry
It celebrated its fourth anniversary last year. It was released in 2004, the same year as the DS.
Gay-Lord-Perry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gay-Lord-Perry
Member since 2009 • 125 Posts
[QUOTE="Gay-Lord-Perry"]sonys not that stupid the psp is like what? not even 4 years oldmalkiko
It celebrated its fourth anniversary last year. It was released in 2004, the same year as the DS.

my bad, it was released in march 2005 in the US
Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts

It looks like they're copying the IPOD touch, not the DS.
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

touchscreens were around before the DS
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 coakroach
Member since 2005 • 1356 Posts
Sony literally cannot afford to mess this up
verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
I would rather they kept supporting the PSP and focus on the PS3 instead of making a new handheld.
jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jharv
Member since 2007 • 1774 Posts
The damage has been done to the PSP. They need to scrap it and start over.
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

[QUOTE=""]Rumor: PSP 2 Coming Soon
by Scott Lowe

January 26, 2009 - The evolution of the PSP has been one of small incremental updates rather than drastic aesthetic and hardware reconfigurations. Since its debut in 2005 the PSP has undergone two mild hardware adjustments with the PSP-2000 and the PSP-3000. While the 2000 series altered the handheld in terms of form -- slimming down the hardware by 33% in weight, and 19% in thickness -- the 3000 series made some notable functional improvements, such as a built-in microphone. The 2000 and 3000 series ensured the continued success of the PSP brand across North America and Europe, many gamers have been clamoring for a full-fledged PSP 2 for months.

Although Sony has consistently denied that any such product is in development, rumors and predictions have been circling for over a year about a forthcoming PSP 2. Last week we posted our predictions for the seemingly inevitable sequel to the popular handheld, citing hardware improvements like dual thumbsticks and a touch screen interface, but now we've learned that our hopes and dreams for the system may be, in part, dead on the money.

IGN has learned from several credible sources that the PSP 2 is indeed on the horizon, and will be packing multi-touch technology. According to our sources, the PSP 2 will feature a widescreen multi-touch interface comparable to that of the iPhone for both in-game control and menu navigation. Unfortunately, we were unable to secure any additional details on the alleged new system, but this latest batch of rumors seems to fall in line with other recent claims orbiting the vast recesses of the internet.

This latest batch of rumors comes on the heels of an allegedly official Sony survey leaked by enthusiast blog, PSPFanboy.com, which asked consumers what features would compel them the most to buy a new PSP. Among the choices offered by the survey were a touch screen interface, Bluetooth support, an integrated hard drive, GPS, and nationwide wireless networking. If true, the survey seems to further suggest that Sony is in the process of drastically revising the PSP's core hardware.

We contacted Sony representatives for further comment on the matter, but their response was unsurprisingly straight out of the rumor-response playbook, "We can't comment on rumors or speculation."

For more on the PSP 2, stay tuned to IGN.com. Fire-of-Njozi

Link

Personally, i think it's about time. they road the original PSP a long way. Time for bigger and better. All the better for them if they beat Nintendo to market a year or so before the DS2 (or whatever the DS sequel will be called) launches. take some tips from Microsoft, if you will.

I love how the author of this article makes it seem like the PSP's been ahuge success! :roll:

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

SynisterGamer
It will take at least 2 years.
JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts
once the PSP2 comes out with a touch screen, cows will be forced to scrap that good old "touch screen is just a gimmick" slogan that they've been using for years
JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts

[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"][QUOTE="goblaa"]I though touch screens were gimmicks lolstereointegrity

touchscreens were around before the DS

as a standard method of control for handheld gaming?

and since you are going that route, name ONE technology that has been introduced by a game console/handheld that was NEVER used before it

name one

of course nintendo didn't invent touch screens lol

but they sure as hell popularized it for gaming

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#32 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
*waits for DS 2*
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

SynisterGamer
Yeah, I was about to do the same, but now I'm going to wait. I'd feel like a fool for spending $170 for a brand new PSP 3000 that don't even include a memory card. With the new PSP2 around the corner the price of the current PSPs will have to come down.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#34 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Good, I want a new system to put my...err...movies on
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

PSP is a great hanheld, enjoyed so many amazing titles... so even though they are still rumours its good to hear Sony are interested in the successor of their current handheld... I just hope they work harder and make sure it launches with some great games and has more support from 3rd party devs..

But i dont see the PSP2 being launched before mid 2010... which is good since PSP has a amazing line-up of upcoming titles this year..

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Malta_1980
[QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"]

by Scott Lowe

For more on the PSP 2, stay tuned to IGN.com. svetzenlether

Link

I love how the author of this article makes it seem like the PSP's been ahuge success! :roll:

because we all know that selling over 40 million units is a failure...right?????

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
[QUOTE="svetzenlether"][QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"]

Link

Malta_1980

because we all know that selling over 40 million units is a failure...right?????

Compared to the dreamcast that's pretty good really.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts
I'm curious to see the form of media the new PSP uses.
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts
[QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"]

by Scott Lowe

For more on the PSP 2, stay tuned to IGN.com. svetzenlether

Link

40 Millions and still selling with upcoming big games this year. Considering it will sell better than Xbox and GC combined, I'd say its doing well.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
This latest batch of rumors comes on the heels of an allegedly official Sony survey leaked by enthusiast blog, PSPFanboy.com, which asked consumers what features would compel them the most to buy a new PSP. wrote
Mmmm. Sounds fishy.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#41 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
When I was reading this article and the part they say that the PSP2 might include some touch screen feature, it reminded me of that "is sony incapable of coming up with original ideas" thread.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chutebox
When I was reading this article and the part they say that the PSP2 might include some touch screen feature, it reminded me of that "is sony incapable of coming up with original ideas" thread.one_on_one
Touch screens aren't exactly original.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 one_on_one

[QUOTE="one_on_one"]When I was reading this article and the part they say that the PSP2 might include some touch screen feature, it reminded me of that "is sony incapable of coming up with original ideas" thread.Chutebox

Oic, but I can't name another video game handheld with touch screen before the DS, can you?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="one_on_one"]When I was reading this article and the part they say that the PSP2 might include some touch screen feature, it reminded me of that "is sony incapable of coming up with original ideas" thread.one_on_one

Oic, but I can't name another video game handheld with touch screen before the DS, can you?

Nope, was there a handheld before PSP that had an analog stick or wide screen? Serious question, I honestly don't know lol.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 one_on_one
[QUOTE="one_on_one"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"] Touch screens aren't exactly original.Chutebox

Nope, was there a handheld before PSP that had an analog stick or wide screen? Serious question, I honestly don't know lol.

Here's a cool article and a brief history for handhelds:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/03/a-brief-history-of-handheld-video-games/

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="one_on_one"]

one_on_one

Here's a cool article and a brief history for handhelds:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/03/a-brief-history-of-handheld-video-games/

Wow. This little thing is the sexiest thing I've seen (after Adriana Lima, of course).

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Malta_1980

[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

KungfuKitten

oops you forgot many others, but let me refresh your mind :- it sold more than

Sega :- Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Gamegear, Nomad, Saturn & Dreamcast

Nintendo :- N64, Gamecube & a good chance to sell more than SNES

Microsoft :- Xbox & currently has more units WW than Xbox360

Others :- Neo Geo systems, Atari Lynx, 3DO, Jaguar etc etc

Guess you got the point that if PSP is a FAILURE than most of the consoles except for NES, PS1 & 2 can be considered huge flops too... (referring to global sales)

jmdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 jmdude
Member since 2007 • 2521 Posts

for the PSP2 to have more games, it should be piracy-free. because piracy detracts the developers because they will not have the profit with those pirates around.
jmdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 jmdude
Member since 2007 • 2521 Posts

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

Malta_1980

Guess you got the point that if PSP is a FAILURE than most of the consoles except for NES, PS1 & 2 can be considered huge flops too... (referring to global sales)

plus, it's still selling great! every month it's selling better than the 360, PS3 and ps2
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Malta_1980
[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

jmdude

plus, it's still selling great! every month it's selling better than the 360, PS3 and ps2

I know, thats why i listed all those systems... people forget sometimes that simply because PSP is not selling as much as the DS it is a failure... by that logic regarding consoles we take PS2 as the standard and conclude all the console systems released since 1st generation including the current are failures cause they still did not reach/exceed 120+ million in sales... (am sure no current console will reach that figure)..