IGN felt the need to write this about their reviews (7/10)

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

So... here's an interesting read here.

When you consider the main purpose of a review is to answer the question of whether something is actually as good as it appears to be in ads and previews before you decide to spend your time and money on it, there’s no greater waste of everybody’s time and effort than telling people that something they’ve never heard of isn’t good. This is what I tell people when they ask why so few reviews on IGN end up on the bottom half of that scale. There are a few reasons for this and none of them have to do with a reluctance to give low scores when they’re warranted.

The reality is there are simply far too many things coming out to possibly review them all. In a typical week you might see countless new games, movies and episodes of TV. But all of these are not created equal: most are underwhelming or clearly bad and go completely unnoticed by the vast majority of people. Some are middle-of-the-road and generally worthwhile, and just a few are heavily marketed, highly anticipated events. The rarest of all are the surprise-hit gems that come out of nowhere and are all but impossible to predict. So given that IGN can only handle so many reviews at once – we generally review around 1,000 things per year, across all categories – we have to pick and choose which to review and which to let sail by.

We make these decisions in a number of ways. When it’s not obvious that something is a big deal, like a Grand Theft Auto or an Avengers movie or a Game of Thrones-level show, we use metrics like traffic on IGN for news, trailers, and previews to see if the wider audience is interested. We also use publicly available tools like Google Trends and YouTube. Did a lot of people check out the trailer for a new movie? It’s a safe bet they’ll be interested to know more. Did just a few thousand view it on YouTube? Maybe it’s just not clicking with IGN’s audience and a review would suffer the same fate. When those raw numbers leave us uncertain – or even sometimes when they tell us most people aren’t interested, but we are – we often take a chance on something we think is special and should be highlighted, even though it probably won’t do a lot of traffic for us. That’s when you’ll see smaller things make it onto our review list.

Importantly, this doesn’t necessarily mean that if we don’t review something we didn’t think anybody cared or assumed that it isn’t good. Oftentimes it’s just an issue of timing, where we have too many irons in the fire due to a busy time of year, and by the time we’d be able to circle back and review it the question of whether it’s good or not would’ve long been settled. In those cases we generally have to wait for another opportunity to come around – such as a port to another platform that opens a game up to a new audience or a streaming date – to make something relevant again before we go back to review it.

So why is it that the big-name stuff rarely seems to score below a 7, which means “Good” on IGN’s review scale? Simply put: if something doesn’t at least look like it might be great you probably weren’t paying attention to it in the first place. People didn’t click on it or Google it or watch YouTube videos about it, and we probably didn’t review it as a result of that. But if it does look great enough to pique your interest, it usually ends up being at least okay. And especially in the case of big-budget games, publishers have to be feeling pretty confident about them being reasonably well received for them to make it to the point of being released at all.

Imagine a developer is working on an unannounced video game. (Typically, a significant game is in development for a couple of years before it’s publicly announced or shown, if not longer.) Try as they might, their ideas just aren’t working out, and most of the testers who’ve played it say it’s simply not fun. Maybe the publisher has even hired some freelance writers to do mock reviews – written under non-disclosure agreements for their eyes only – to see how it might score on release, and many of them came back with 5s or lower. In that scenario, assuming there’s not a lot of faith that its problems can be fixed with a delay, most of the time the publisher is going to cancel that game and pivot to a more promising project. They might’ve spent millions to get to this point, but it still makes sense to cut their losses there rather than continue spending many millions more on developing and marketing a bad game. When that happens it never sees the light of day, much less gets reviewed. And games are canceled like this all the time, before we ever even know they exist.

Of course, some very rough productions still come out for whatever reason, and when they do we have no issues giving a 5 to a highly marketed game like Gotham Knights or a big-name movie like Black Adam. But it’s relatively rare that so much time and money is spent on creating something that falls short of being at least “okay” (6), if not “good” (7), “great” (8) or even “amazing” (9), which is why the great majority of our reviews end up on the top half of the scale. When it comes to the big events they’re usually safe bets, and in most cases the question isn’tifthey’ll be good but how good they’ll be. But when we have to choose, we’d much rather tell you about something we think you should experience than hammer something you shouldn’t. That’s just more fun for everybody.

I mean... makes sense, I guess. Even reading this, I still have no clue why they do this. Netizens are likely to read this like a customer at a grocery store needing to ask a cashier if they're open. I've seen the review score memes.

What do you think?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

That is overall kind of depressing as everything just boils down to clicks, likes, trend, and essentially a popularity contest.

I don't blame mainstream game sites for only reveiwing mainstream games, either; there is way too much stuff to play out there, to watch, to read. Plus, it's the internet...there are niche sites for niche video games.

This part I thought was especially depressing:

... Maybe the publisher has even hired some freelance writers to do mock reviews – written under non-disclosure agreements for their eyes only – to see how it might score on release, and many of them came back with 5s or lower. In that scenario, assuming there’s not a lot of faith that its problems can be fixed with a delay, most of the time the publisher is going to cancel that game and pivot to a more promising project. They might’ve spent millions to get to this point, but it still makes sense to cut their losses there rather than continue spending many millions more on developing and marketing a bad game.

So basically, you can spend years on a game and instead of saying "Hey, let's fix what's bad with it" they cancel it. I get the concept of maximizing profits/reducing losses, but at the same time...c'mon, take a risk, put in the work, and if it makes 90 million dollars instead of 100 million, well, that's good enough.

Modern capitalism wants all the benefits, none of the risks.

When that happens it never sees the light of day, much less gets reviewed. Andgames are canceled like this all the time, before we ever even know they exist.

Imagine what games were being developed before canceled, never to be heard of again. I wonder what the ratio is of unknown games per game we DO know was canceled? How many potential Star Wars games could we have had? Do you think EA was working on Black and White 3 at one point?

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

The company only exists for money. How do they make money? Ad revenue. How can they convince more companies to advertise on their site? High Traffic. How do they guarantee high traffic? By only reviewing and previewing quality and sought after products.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59086 Posts

Long way of saying "we are shills pandering"

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2252 Posts

@uninspiredcup: that’s a bit cynical and not at all what they are saying..

Anyway to the topic, I guess it makes sense to focus on the highly hyped products and let niche sites cover the rest!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup

@djoffer123: I don't like this comment but i'm giving it a 7.

Only saw it because it wasn't bad.

Please enjoy the confirmation bias. We have lots of that. Then get angry when you don't get it. That also gives us clicks.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

It's not really a reviewers task to assume a game will get patched, to assume an utterly broken product will become playable.

It's a reviewers task to review a product that is being offered to the crowd and is up for sale.

Digital Foundry did a review for Callisto Protocol on PC and found it was absolutely broken, that's the product that's being sold to people at launch, that's the one people can go out and buy.

Of course the lower number (DF doesn't work with numbers but whatever, stick with me) will mean less people will buy it and be interested in it. And that's a shame of course because Callisto Protocol was a great Dead Space knock-off with worthwhile gameplay and the issues got fixed in a number of weeks. But keep in mind here:

The publisher/Developers are the ones who decided to launch the game broken anyway, wether they have the intention to patch it or not: that's not our concern. We can't trust companies that will cut support and cut a live service at the blink of an eye to have any intention to improve a situation or not.

It's their choice to launch the game broken on a platform, like Dead Space was kinda plagued for PS5 at launch, when Rockstar still cared about quality they pushed back the PC version of Max Payne 2 for 2 weeks.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

That's a lot of words. All they had to write was: "we are spineless".

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

Dose anyone take reviews serious besides fanboys. If the game looks interesting i just buy it and i always check for demo 1st

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4384 Posts

years ago. i forget what company it was.

but they always bought all the games for review.

on top of that. they update and note in the game page(but with a box) to show if update improve or broke the game)

sadly how news and reviews now are. its not profitable to do that.

TacticaI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TacticaI
Member since 2006 • 1363 Posts

That makes complete sense. If people want reviews of more niche titles available on the market, find the person/crew willing to purchase and review those niche titles and patronize them. Subscribe to their YouTube. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that IGN does not serve that purpose.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7314 Posts

They wrote this because people in the IGN comment sections get really bent out of shape that a lot of things score a 7. This guy is just trying to explain that a lot of stuff is decent to good.

He might as well hit his head against a brick wall. Whining about fucking nothing is by far the most popular pastime on the internet.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8488 Posts

Have been saying it for ages and here we are with now a publication it self coming out and admitting they chase clicks. Especially a certain desperate cow is foaming at the mouth on how to DC this.

I mean it's not even a surprise to anyone with more than two brain cells. All these are for profit companies and their major revenue source is ads. When it comes to revenue/profits, all other useless things like credibility, objectivity, quality, truth gets thrown out the window. It's not up to individuals, even if they were honest and want to be, the overall landscape won't let them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup
@TacticaI said:

That makes complete sense. If people want reviews of more niche titles available on the market, find the person/crew willing to purchase and review those niche titles and patronize them. Subscribe to their YouTube. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that IGN does not serve that purpose.

Basically what they are doing. Youtube gets more credibility than gaming sites now.

Should be noted that IGN was cought ripping off Youtube reviewers.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1463 Posts

Now, to sum up this article;

1. IGN tends to focus on the big games that people pay attention to because it is impossible for them to review every game, which is obvious.

2. Those are often games that have had time and resources invested by the developer/publisher to make them good enough for release (otherwise they would be cancelled halfway through), so they are usually good enough to get above a 7.

So this is their simple answer to why IGN's score averages are generally high, and is not in itself a statement of the sort that would expose any particular scandal or anything.

Sure, big media outlets like IGN tend to pick high-profile games to review in order to generate clicks for ad revenue.

However, the quality and credibility of these individual game reviews is another story entirely, as anyone with "two brain cells" can tell you.

Sometimes, though, people come up with some weird conspiracy theory. For example, a certain PC fanboy desperately claims that the content of all their reviews is not credible at all because they are all driven by clicks and ad revenue.

Again, there is a distinct difference between which games they choose to review and how they review them. And the quality of those reviews varies from critic to critic. To lump all of these different reviews together and dismiss them with an oversimplified criticism like "for clicks and money" is nothing more than a caricature of the conspiracy theory approach like "all jews are bad" stuff.

And just for the record, I don't believe that any of the critics are objectively correct or that their reviews are always reliable. There are some critics that I trust relatively well in their professionalism because they have a good track record of writing compelling reviews, but even so, it is common for me to partially agree and partially disagree with their reviews of individual games. So please don't pull the "strawman" that I'm defending them all the time, haha.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44146 Posts

Fake news, fake reviews, fake awards. They can all just Fake off!! :P