IGN editorial: Blinded by Mario

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

Link

What do you think about this. I agree with what they say IMO.

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

2D Platformers are merely an aging genre... its just too hard to do anything completely original with them anymore. I think its more genre related than anything else

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Mario is overrated imo.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
People like him and Matt C. shouldn't be given a voice. Its just sad really.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
"When it comes to the question of what was last year's best platformer, gamers seem to have settled on New Super Mario Bros. Wii, a title I find to be derivative and dull. It's the perfect example of how lazy Nintendo has become: just take a four-year old DS game and create new levels for the Wii, add the multiplayer technology of 1990, and call it a day." makes me think he never played NSMBWII he only looked at it and the DS version.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#6 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I would like to try the new Mario on the Wii. I think it would be fun. I imagine more fun than the game he insisted on comparing it to.
DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts
Like I said before, Nintendo could of done more with this game. But why would IGN make 2 editorials about Nintendo being lazy. To get hits, yesterday was a slow news day. The 100 Splosion Man Vs 77 Mario levels is pretty funny. Well the whole article is a joke basically.
ZippySlappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZippySlappy
Member since 2009 • 2664 Posts
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]"When it comes to the question of what was last year's best platformer, gamers seem to have settled on New Super Mario Bros. Wii, a title I find to be derivative and dull. It's the perfect example of how lazy Nintendo has become: just take a four-year old DS game and create new levels for the Wii, add the multiplayer technology of 1990, and call it a day." makes me think he never played NSMBWII he only looked at it and the DS version.

Well it's KINDA true. When playing ALONE,it has that feeling:"Been there,done that". Co-op,however changes the game completely.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 musicalmac  Moderator
You know, in Nintendo's defense, it's not like they just cobble together levels. That probably takes a little more effort than this IGN individual gives them credit for... Don't you think?
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 musicalmac  Moderator
A quick follow up to my previous pots- I'm not sure they are as thorough as Bungie, but I still can't buy into an article where the author casts the task of creating appealing maps/levels to the wayside.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Anyone who has even played a fraction of NSMBWii knows that Nintendo wasn't lazy when they designed it. If that guy found it dull, he must have out-grown it. Nothing wrong with that, but that's no reason to think the game is sub-par.

Mostly a big whine.

_Impmacaque_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _Impmacaque_
Member since 2005 • 566 Posts

If there's anything I agree with in the linked article, it's the fact thast Nintendo is outright lazy with online play.

Seriously, Nintendo has boatloads of money and can't figure out how to put together a passable online system? The current one is laughable and pathetic in so many ways I can't even begin to list them.

As for Mario.. meh, I hadn't touched my Wii in a year or two, decided to rent NSMB:Wii, and was dissapointed. I was an avid Mario player back in the day, this game just felt like more of the same. The Mario formula can only be rehashed so many times before it feels stale. Multiplayer was a great addition, but in all reality.. it makes no sense that we're just now getting 4p local multiplayer. I would've definitely wanted a refund had I spent the full retail cost on this game.

tom95b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tom95b
Member since 2008 • 4999 Posts

IGN must post this in an other section, not on the Wii section.

Wii owners don't want to read these pathetic articles.

Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts
Mario's games has ALWAYS been the pinnacle and best platforming games ever made. Everything and I honestly mean every single aspect in a true Mario game is usually polished to a masterful level. I mean who didn't enjoy just playing the versus mode in Super Mario 3 or running around the castle grounds in Mario 64? Truth be told Mario has raised a lot of youths, myself included and it should never be forgotten just how important that guy is to the video game industry. While people who claims that they have "outgrown" Mario has in a way outgrown the fun in gaming. And while might have grown tired of Mario games (which I can't see how, since they are usually the best of the best when it comes to platforming) it is introducing a soon to be forgotten genre to the youths of today for the first time. And the fact that people of all age can enjoy Mario games is proof to just how well made the franchise is. And to me New Super Mario Bros Wii is great fun, I look at it as an extended version of SM3 versus and SMB Deluxe for the Gameboy colour. Any ill aimed critique at Mario unless it's at his "other" games which usually are great as well (Dr.Mario, Mario Kart) is...*can't find the perfect word there* but it's not shablamo.
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

lol i wish all games could be rated with IGN's

3 criteria system

1. Orginality

2. Online

3. Lenght

most games this gen fail on 1 and 3, so what they basicly did was to say

halo ODST, MW2, L4D2 and other games this gen fail

phatkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 phatkav
Member since 2005 • 1357 Posts

Oh look, it's another IGN article desperately trying to get hits.

LegendofNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LegendofNerd
Member since 2007 • 2140 Posts

IGN posting inflammatory content for site hits? Classy. Seems as though they've been on a Wii-hate streak these last couple months.

Probably my favorite lulz-worthy quote of the article:

Of course, I'm not saying New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a terrible game. Far from it. Its mediocrity doesn't keep it from being fun. But every game is supposed to be fun, so you don't earn extra credit for that.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Just like LittleBigPlanet, if you play NSMB Wii by yourself, you are not playing it right...imo. :P

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
no wonder why they are known as IGNorant.. they are kind of sony fanboys too...
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Really, IGN is silly. Splosion man has more levels?? That's how you judge the quality of a game? Levels? I really do want to play sploision man but this article is stupid beond belief. There is no base, well besides being a whiney baby I suppose. Well you can't spell ignorant withough IGN. Nor can you spell insignificant and judging by the rest of the world, that couldn't be more right.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

Anyone who has even played a fraction of NSMBWii knows that Nintendo wasn't lazy when they designed it. If that guy found it dull, he must have out-grown it. Nothing wrong with that, but that's no reason to think the game is sub-par.

Mostly a big whine.

I agree, I played through NSMBW on both single player and 4 player, and both feel different and fun to go through. The levels are designed well, gameplay was good still, and it had new weapons, being, ice flower, penguine suit... which were not in the DS version. Also that super large mushroom was absent from the wii version, so they were both mario games, but different. I thought NSMBW was great.
bubbleboyii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bubbleboyii
Member since 2005 • 550 Posts

You know, in Nintendo's defense, it's not like they just cobble together levels. That probably takes a little more effort than this IGN individual gives them credit for... Don't you think?musicalmac

Yeah. The levels are well designed. But I think that article is mostly correct. I mean, my only draw towards that game would be its multiplayer (I have trouble sitting through Mario games alone), but that's not really something new. They also could've come up with better powers than to have Ice Flowers AND Penguin Suits. The thing is, MARIO 2D platformers are more or less a stagnant series. You can just completely change the way a 2D Mario game works. He jumps and uses special powers given by his different suits. You can't make him 'Splosions Man all of the sudden.

The media is a little too easy on anything mainstream Mario though. I mean, some really stand out, but games like Mario DS? I didn't find that game particularly good. Aside from Giant and Tiny mushrooms, it's essentially the same game we've played 20 years ago. What's even worse is that Nintendo does this with too many of their first party titles. Zelda hasn't changed at all. The only sesries that made any sort of advancement is Metroid, which Retro Studios reinvented spectacularly.

Nintendo's schizophrenic. New hardware, but no new software. They're wasting a lot of potential.

calvinx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 calvinx6
Member since 2004 • 1788 Posts

It is funny that IGN as come to low rate site, from the high alexa ranking to creating flamebait articles to get hits.

Lol, the mighty as fallen.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

IGN must be seriously bored. This is an "editorial"? No one cares about this mediocre opinion piece. And I love Splosion Man, but come on...

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

Mario is overrated imo.millerlight89

Nope

He has some of the best games ever made . No one is more known then mario when it comes to gaming . yes even gordon freeman

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

Oh look, it's another IGN article desperately trying to get hits.

phatkav
exactly what i was thinking
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
No shock. IGN has been anti-Wii for a while now.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

People like him and Matt C. shouldn't be given a voice. Its just sad really.Haziqonfire

He's free to express his opinion on things.

blahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blahzor
Member since 2005 • 2287 Posts

didn't ign give best platformer to NSMBWii? is he calling his fellow editors bias?

I haven't dl'ed splosion man yet, i've been wanting to. It's unique, which i like, but i wasn't terribly impressed by the demo. I choose Dr. Neds zombie island instead. Next time, splosion man! (i did like the ending video, that was pretty funny)

jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 jdmpastor
Member since 2003 • 664 Posts

IGN must post this in an other section, not on the Wii section.

Wii owners don't want to read these pathetic articles.

tom95b

I completely agree and it's getting old.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
I've been saying for a while that Nintendo is perhaps the laziest developer. They just copy paste old games and repackage them as new. Oh sure, Zelda TP is technically a "different game" but it uses the exact same mechanics every other Zelda's been using. There is no hint of innovation, or willingness to expand or try something new, just copy/paste away. Even the 3D Marios, they are all just Mario64 with a gimmick added. Sunshine it was the water gun pump thing, Galaxy it was the "3D" worlds which really added NOTHING to the gameplay other than just having a different perspective, yet people act like it was the innovation of the century. Tell me this, what did moving around spheres add to Mario? Just think about it seriously...sure it looks cool, but other than that, it does absolutely nothing to enhance the gameplay. It's just the same game we've been playing with a shiny coat of paint, which would atleast be palatable if Mario had an actual story one could look forward too, or something new.
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
"It's the perfect example of how lazy Nintendo has become: just take a four-year old DS game and create new levels for the Wii, add the multiplayer technology of 1990, and call it a day." I agree with this totally. And it scares me to think that game has already sold millions and millions.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ActicEdge

"It's the perfect example of how lazy Nintendo has become: just take a four-year old DS game and create new levels for the Wii, add the multiplayer technology of 1990, and call it a day." I agree with this totally. And it scares me to think that game has already sold millions and millions. carljohnson3456

My problem with this is that you don't get to measure design philosphy in dollars. 2D Marios have amazing design but its not something you get to see in terms of money. It loos similar to the DS game and it has multiplayer true. My thing is, NSMB on the DS is mediocore, NSMBWii is actually genuinely fantastic. If I show you pics or even videos you'll never see it though. Playing it while being attantive to the design is the only way to see it. Maybe its just me but NSMBWii with better graphics and online would not make it any better a platformer. Just less things for reviewers to complain about. I find that prospect sad.

VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
Wow I seriously regret getting a Wii. I'm really surprised at some of the comments. The DS version wasn't that good yet people like you all support Nintendo in everything they do. After the Wii, I wish Nintendo luck for alienating its audience. Everyone is pulling out support too. The Wii was really a fad.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 II_Seraphim_II
Wow I seriously regret getting a Wii. I'm really surprised at some of the comments. The DS version wasn't that good yet people like you all support Nintendo in everything they do. After the Wii, I wish Nintendo luck for alienating its audience. Everyone is pulling out support too. The Wii was really a fad.VALikimlav
Seriously, Nintendo is infallible amongst a lot of gamers here. No one calls them on their BS. People need to take off their Nostalgia goggles and see the crap Ninty is churning out. You want to play the new super mario? Just whip out your trusty N64 and play Mario64...same experience, just worse graphics.
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Half-Way

[QUOTE="VALikimlav"]Wow I seriously regret getting a Wii. I'm really surprised at some of the comments. The DS version wasn't that good yet people like you all support Nintendo in everything they do. After the Wii, I wish Nintendo luck for alienating its audience. Everyone is pulling out support too. The Wii was really a fad.II_Seraphim_II
Seriously, Nintendo is infallible amongst a lot of gamers here. No one calls them on their BS. People need to take off their Nostalgia goggles and see the crap Ninty is churning out. You want to play the new super mario? Just whip out your trusty N64 and play Mario64...same experience, just worse graphics.

the funny thing is,

people who complain about it been the same old, turn on their console and start playing halo 3 or killzone 2 after 10 min

which is ironic

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="VALikimlav"]Wow I seriously regret getting a Wii. I'm really surprised at some of the comments. The DS version wasn't that good yet people like you all support Nintendo in everything they do. After the Wii, I wish Nintendo luck for alienating its audience. Everyone is pulling out support too. The Wii was really a fad.II_Seraphim_II

No offence but its hardly that Nintendo is infailable, atleat to me, its simply that most of the attacks are one sided which isn't fair imo. If the complaint it, NSMBWii could have had online, I would say, it could have, dropped the ball. Maybe next time. But I don't think this is calling Nintendo on BS. What BS are we calling them out on? Not searching out there weaknesses while aboning their strengths? I think SM64 is Mediocore, I think SMG is fantastic. They aren't the same game at all. I am now nostalgic? Really?

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="VALikimlav"]Wow I seriously regret getting a Wii. I'm really surprised at some of the comments. The DS version wasn't that good yet people like you all support Nintendo in everything they do. After the Wii, I wish Nintendo luck for alienating its audience. Everyone is pulling out support too. The Wii was really a fad.Half-Way

the funny thing is,

people who complain about it been the same old, turn on their console and start playing halo 3 or killzone 2 after 10 min

which is ironic

I don't understand? Killzone 2 is nothing like the first one. The shooter mechanics have been refined, a balanced class system has been introduced, multiplayer has been refined and it actually has a story. As for Halo 3, the multiplayer has been made better, new modes have been added, it actually has a story. On the other hand, Mario and Zelda have had the same story since the beginning of time; Mario - Princess Peach is kidnapped by Bowser for the 100th time, mario must save her; Zelda - Mute boy link must save the world and the princess from a villain named Ganondorf, or a similar name. The only innovation either game had came when they jumped from 2D to 3D. Mario switched from the killing kupas and destroying their castles, to gathering start; Zelda is pretty much still the same, but the gameplay is different in the 3D perspective. As for gameplay, sure in Sunshine I had the water cannon, and in Galaxy I could walk revolutions around objects, but I was still doing the same things, with the same moves, and the same gameplay, with the same story.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="VALikimlav"]Wow I seriously regret getting a Wii. I'm really surprised at some of the comments. The DS version wasn't that good yet people like you all support Nintendo in everything they do. After the Wii, I wish Nintendo luck for alienating its audience. Everyone is pulling out support too. The Wii was really a fad.ActicEdge

No offence but its hardly that Nintendo is infailable, atleat to me, its simply that most of the attacks are one sided which isn't fair imo. If the complaint it, NSMBWii could have had online, I would say, it could have, dropped the ball. Maybe next time. But I don't think this is calling Nintendo on BS. What BS are we calling them out on? Not searching out there weaknesses while aboning their strengths? I think SM64 is Mediocore, I think SMG is fantastic. They aren't the same game at all. I am now nostalgic? Really?

Ok, lets try something. List all the differences between Galaxy and SM64.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
i stopped reading when he said Littlebigplanet PSP stood up to NSMBWii
TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts
Mario gets overrated as you grow older. People are born everyday so it'll never die.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I really enjoyed the premise of that article. Granted, I am quite anti-modern Nintendo, but a lot of what that article speaks of is true. NSMB Wii is a rebranded NSMB (DS) with more levels and four-player co-op. I've played it, it is exactly what the author called it: "More Super Mario Bros." I would go even as far to say that Super Mario Galaxy is leagues better than it. And I highly dislike SMG.

I'm at a point in my life where I desire something new more often than something I've become used to. I want a game that tries to break the boundaries of gaming convention and create something new and unique. Granted, I still enjoy playing games that aren't "new" and games from past generations... but that's the point, if I want to play Super Mario Bros, I'll play it on the NES.

NSMB Wii strikes me as being in exactly the same situation as Modern Warfare 2, only slightly different in that NSMBW is a DS game introduced on the Wii, and not a 360/PS3/PC game being redone on the 360/PS3/PC. NSMB Wii is everything I have against Nintendo and the gaming industry in general. Don't give me a game I've already played under hte illusion it is something "new." I want something that is actually new and unique that makes me go: "hey, now that was pretty cool!"

I'm going to try the XBLA trial for 'Splosion Man.

calvinx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 calvinx6
Member since 2004 • 1788 Posts

Wow I seriously regret getting a Wii. I'm really surprised at some of the comments. The DS version wasn't that good yet people like you all support Nintendo in everything they do. After the Wii, I wish Nintendo luck for alienating its audience. Everyone is pulling out support too. The Wii was really a fad.VALikimlav

Wii sold 3.81 million last month.

I agree the Wii a Fad.

cliff122316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 cliff122316
Member since 2005 • 2333 Posts
i very much agree with him. i remember getting my new wii very early on. throwing in zelda TP playing it fo about 5 hours and having a horrible moment of realization...i had done all of this 5 times before...it was just boring now. i made it another 5 hours in and just had to shut it off. While SMG was at least interesting and a better game I still felt some of the same things. I mean the people here rag on COD for making 6 games in the series, why does that not apply to mario? when you criticize him for that you are treated with ridicule. I would take a fresh new IP like portal or splosion man (which i do own and loved) any day over the 10th mario game. but hey apparently most gamers love repeats.
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] Seriously, Nintendo is infallible amongst a lot of gamers here. No one calls them on their BS. People need to take off their Nostalgia goggles and see the crap Ninty is churning out. You want to play the new super mario? Just whip out your trusty N64 and play Mario64...same experience, just worse graphics.II_Seraphim_II

the funny thing is,

which is ironic

I don't understand? Killzone 2 is nothing like the first one. The shooter mechanics have been refined, a balanced class system has been introduced, multiplayer has been refined and it actually has a story. As for Halo 3, the multiplayer has been made better, new modes have been added, it actually has a story. On the other hand, Mario and Zelda have had the same story since the beginning of time; Mario - Princess Peach is kidnapped by Bowser for the 100th time, mario must save her; Zelda - Mute boy link must save the world and the princess from a villain named Ganondorf, or a similar name. The only innovation either game had came when they jumped from 2D to 3D. Mario switched from the killing kupas and destroying their castles, to gathering start; Zelda is pretty much still the same, but the gameplay is different in the 3D perspective. As for gameplay, sure in Sunshine I had the water cannon, and in Galaxy I could walk revolutions around objects, but I was still doing the same things, with the same moves, and the same gameplay, with the same story.

thank you for giving me the perfect example of the people im talking about

"it actully has a story" is a bad argument considering almost every game has one, even mario on the NES had one.

the thing you need to understand about stories is that they have the same main types in their roots,

starwars for example is just a "save the princess" story, what matters is if how you flash it out.

your examples only showed me that you havent even played all the zelda games, all i need to do is to mention majoras mask.

even the plot in TP was diffrent from OoT, it had the same roots, but went on a diffrent path, involving zant, and the twilight people.

same could be said about galaxy , which had you helping rosalina , and get to know her story.

for you other examples, if ya actully played any of the games you would know that the games changed from each new instalment

the roots where the same, just like in every FPS, shoot a guy, wait, shoot the next guy.

in Super Mario Sunshine, the Water pack was introduced, while in galaxy the levels where based on gravity.

new powers were introduced in each of them.

same with zelda, majoras mask and windwaker where diffrent from the OoT and TP which were alike in gameplay

wind waker had its sailing and the whole game involved the wind

while majorask mask introduced mask

TP also had the whole animal thing going on, epona, egle and wolf link

-

SW is full of dubble standards

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
Call it lazy I don't care. I wish the game was more like SMB3 than it was. If a game is good I want clones.
IppoTenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 IppoTenma
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
They haven't beaten world 9, haven't they?
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

I really enjoyed the premise of that article. Granted, I am quite anti-modern Nintendo, but a lot of what that article speaks of is true. NSMB Wii is a rebranded NSMB (DS) with more levels and four-player co-op. I've played it, it is exactly what the author called it: "More Super Mario Bros." I would go even as far to say that Super Mario Galaxy is leagues better than it. And I highly dislike SMG.

I'm at a point in my life where I desire something new
more often than something I've become used to. I want a game that tries to break the boundaries of gaming convention and create something new and unique. Granted, I still enjoy playing games that aren't "new" and games from past generations... but that's the point, if I want to play Super Mario Bros, I'll play it on the NES.

NSMB Wii strikes me as being in exactly the same situation as Modern Warfare 2, only slightly different in that NSMBW is a DS game introduced on the Wii, and not a 360/PS3/PC game being redone on the 360/PS3/PC. NSMB Wii is everything I have against Nintendo and the gaming industry in general. Don't give me a game I've already played under hte illusion it is something "new." I want something that is actually new and unique that makes me go: "hey, now that was pretty cool!"

I'm going to try the XBLA trial for 'Splosion Man.

foxhound_fox

I am pretty sure I am older than you are fox. I am at the point in my life where I want to play more games like the ones I did when I was younger. If they could make expansion packs for SMB3 that would be one thing. As a gamer I want more levels of the games I enjoied when I was a kid.

They are not going to make everyone happy. Where you highly disliked SMG, I would put it in a list of one of my all time favs.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] Seriously, Nintendo is infallible amongst a lot of gamers here. No one calls them on their BS. People need to take off their Nostalgia goggles and see the crap Ninty is churning out. You want to play the new super mario? Just whip out your trusty N64 and play Mario64...same experience, just worse graphics.II_Seraphim_II

Ok, lets try something. List all the differences between Galaxy and SM64.

Wella lot of them are design difference but I'll give it a shot:

• Linear nature in Galaxy opposed to more open world concept in Mario 64
  • Fixed camera with limited control in Galaxy oppose to full control in Mario64
  • Gravity hook in Galaxy
  • Sperical Worlds in Galaxy
  • Orchestrated Music in Galaxy
  • More cinematic components to Galaxy (though not big)
  • One star at a time challenges in Galaxy opposed to any path stars in Mario 64
  • Daredevil stars in Galaxy
  • Better controls in Galaxy
  • Better overall art direction

Really though, its not in the superficial outside differences, its oin how they play and that is not something I can objectively comment on. That's why you will say I'm nostalgic when really, I care more about gameplay and design philosphy and Linear platforming vs open world than you could ever know. I'm not nostalgic, I just know what I like and what I don't.

Also I must add, I don't care for external similarities: Thus I don't care that I'm jumping on the same Goobas heads. It does not bother me. I don't care that 20 years later the story is still just as non existant. I was never under the assumption it was going to. I don't mind that Mario has a similar moveset. I care about how all these are applied in the context of the game and it is all done well and differently from past games. That's what I look for.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
i very much agree with him. i remember getting my new wii very early on. throwing in zelda TP playing it fo about 5 hours and having a horrible moment of realization...i had done all of this 5 times before...it was just boring now. i made it another 5 hours in and just had to shut it off. While SMG was at least interesting and a better game I still felt some of the same things. I mean the people here rag on COD for making 6 games in the series, why does that not apply to mario? when you criticize him for that you are treated with ridicule. I would take a fresh new IP like portal or splosion man (which i do own and loved) any day over the 10th mario game. but hey apparently most gamers love repeats. cliff122316
COD = 6 games in 6 years Mario games = 1 per gen (although this gen is 2)