If Zelda is a rehash like CoD then what does this mean for gears and Uncharted!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Well theres a topic about Zelda being like CoD that its rehashed. So if Zelda is counted as a rehash then would this not mean these 2 games are culprits also or does double standards of SW come into it that Gears and uncharted are not rehashes even though there will be 3 games from each series released this gen thus far!! Im expecting alot of "Zeldas been out 20 years" but then you got the excuse of "How many been released this gen"

I always seen them as sequels to good games.

Ohhhh.... Im gonna get "SHEEP" comments so before you do bring this comment up i own a 360 also with my Wii and havent played my Wii for quite a while.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
I'd say uncharted changed more than CoD or Gears, it was like a new movie with a mostly new cast, and far less meh. But in truth Zelda is not a rehash at all, only 2 games were similar in some basics, OOT and TP, but I loved them both.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#3 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Uncharted can't be a rehash, it's on the Trey..............I agree, TC. If Zelda is rehashed, then so are Gears, Halo, Uncharted, Infamous, LBP, Fable, Socom.........In truth I dont expect sequels to be much different than the successfull game that spawned them. And if I like the series, I dont mind.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Probably because they haven't been rehashing the same formula for the past 13 years.
Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

Same with Halo, Resistance and the Rachet games. Rehashes everywhere :shock:

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Well,Uncharted and Gears have only released 2 games.

It's pretty early to start calling UC3 and GeoW3 rehashed franchises.
Zelda and COD have been around way longer and have released way more games.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Not buying what your selling since those are two brand spanking new IP's this gen with only the original & a sequel thus far. Nope, not buying the comparison one bit but just for fun... Gears > Uncharted. :P

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

How many gears games are there in total? 2? Uncharted? 2? With a third for both coming this way. Also there is a good chance we'll see new IP's from Epic and Naughty Dog after those...mmm...zelda is on it's which iteration? Do you think nintendo will work on a new IP after this game or just make another predictable zelda game? Mmmm.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#9 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
You actually didn't need to create this thread. That one guy didn't know what he was talking about and almost all of system wars disagreed with his assumption. ;)
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

How many gears games are there in total? 2? Uncharted? 2? With a third for both coming this way. Also there is a good chance we'll see new IP's from Epic and Naughty Dog after those...mmm...zelda is on it's which iteration? Do you think nintendo will work on a new IP after this game or just make another predictable zelda game? Mmmm.

Bread_or_Decide

This sums it up.

Zelda will be around for ever, Nintendo will continue to "milk" it until it's dead.

Is thata bbad thing? No, I love me some Zelda

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Bread_or_Decide

The difference is that Zelda games introduce new concepts (relative to the Zelda universe) whereas the Gears games are extremely similar and Uncharted 3 looks to be extremely similar to 2.

I mean, the only Zelda game that didn't offer anything too new to the series conceptually was Twilight Princess.

Majora's Mask had the three day system and the mask system.

Wind Waker introduced the sea.

Zelda games are hardly predictable.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GreySeal9

Not buying what your selling since those are two brand spanking new IP's this gen with only the original & a sequel thus far. Nope, not buying the comparison one bit but just for fun... Gears > Uncharted. :P

SecretPolice

They're not brand spanking new anymore.

Not to mention that they're being released at a faster rate than Zelda games.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

GreySeal9

The difference is that Zelda games introduce new concepts (relative to the Zelda universe) whereas the Gears games are extremely similar and Uncharted 3 looks to be extremely similar to 2.

I mean, the only Zelda game that didn't offer anything too new to the series conceptually was Twilight Princess.

Zelda games are very predictable. Ice dungeon? Princess? Gannon? Master sword? tri force pieces? Yawn yawn yawn. I don't want a new concept in every uncharted game. I want new IP's that can create new concepts and new worlds. So instead of having to constantly mess with a franchise you just put new ideas into new franchises. It also doesn't limit you to previous iterations of a game. You can't change link in any way or ppl would be pissed. But you can create a new game with a new character that can be different that ppl would accept.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreySeal9

Probably because they haven't been rehashing the same formula for the past 13 years.MFDOOM1983

A series will use the same formula. That much is a given.

However, Zelda has done things to fresh up the formula. The transition to 3D inherently brought freshness to the series, then there was the three day cycle and the mask system, then there was the sea. Not to mention that Minish Cap hinged on the concept of shrinking, Phantom Hourglass was the first Zelda to be designed around the stylus control scheme, Spirit Tracks brought trains into the series.

The only main console entry that didn't really bring anything new was TP.

I'm not trying to say that the basic formula has changed, but you hardly ever see basic formulas change in video games.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

GreySeal9

I can't imagine how one can be bored with a series after only the second game in the franchise. A third uncharted still feels more new than another zelda. ESPECIALLY this latest zelda.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

Bread_or_Decide

Zelda games are very predictable. Ice dungeon? Princess? Gannon? Master sword? tri force pieces? Yawn yawn yawn. I don't want a new concept in every uncharted game. I want new IP's that can create new concepts and new worlds. So instead of having to constantly mess with a franchise you just put new ideas into new franchises. It also doesn't limit you to previous iterations of a game. You can't change link in any way or ppl would be pissed. But you can create a new game with a new character that can be different that ppl would accept.

I knew that you were going to ignore what I said about the masks and the three day system and the sea for some superficial nitpicks that suit your argument. Of course some of the same basic materia and structure is going to be in there, but nobody could have predicted that they would limit the player to a three day cycle and introduce the masks in Majora's Mask and nobody could have predicted that they would completely change the way you traverse across the world and make a game with the kind of graphics than WW has.

You say "you can't change Link" yet they have.

This:

Looks nothing like:

Also, for being a new IP, Uncharted 2 introduces little in the way of new concepts. Actually, it seems like the more "new concepts" were introduced in the same IP (Zelda) than Uncharted has as a new IP.

You complain about Zelda being the same thing over and over, yet you seem to object to messing around with the franchise.

There is no reason that Nintendo should stop making Zelda games. They're rate of release is not very fast relative to other franchises and they change up some stuff.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

Bread_or_Decide

I can't imagine how one can be bored with a series after only the second game in the franchise. A third uncharted still feels more new than another zelda. ESPECIALLY this latest zelda.

Not really since no two Zelda games are as similar to eachother as Uncharted 3 is to Uncharted 2.

There hasn't been enough info or footage related to the new Zelda to make any judgment on its freshness.

I didn't say anything about being bored with a franchise. I'm saying that if one wants to talk about rehashing, they have to consider the rate of release. To ignore it would be fallicious.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

GreySeal9

:lol: Okies.. comparatively..

Gears & UC..

Zelda..

Just sayin.. :P

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

GTA is a much better example IMO. But yes, there are so many rehash game series, yet Zelda gets picked on here, which IMO changes at least as much as any other series.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

SecretPolice

Gears & UC..

Zelda..

I applaud you on your creative, somewhat humorous post, but if you really consider all of the aspects of the concept of a rehash, the only thing that one can really hold Zelda to is that it is an old series with a fair amount of entries (after all, the games are no more samey than any other long running franchise). Yet those entries are not released very often when you look at the rate of release compared to other series. The other two series released games more often and those games have less differences than two given Zeldas.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GreySeal9

GTA is a much better example IMO. But yes, there are so many rehash game series, yet Zelda gets picked on here, which IMO changes at least as much as any other series.

NaveedLife

GTA is a better example than what? Gears and Uncharted? The GTA series has undergone way more changes than Gears/Uncharted has.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
You can make the argument that every sequel that doesn't completely reinvent the game is a rehash. Which is not too much of an argument.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreySeal9

You can make the argument that every sequel that doesn't completely reinvent the game is a rehash. Which is not too much of an argument.IronBass

This is true. I think the term should be reserved for the worst offenders, like Crackdown 2.

But I'd still stand by the assertion that the Gears entries and the UC entries are closer to rehashes than the Zelda entries simply because they actually do try to change some things up from one Zelda to the next.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Gears & UC..

Zelda..

I applaud you on your creative, somewhat humorous post, but if you really consider all of the aspects of the concept of a rehash, the only thing that one can really hold Zelda to is that it is an old series with a fair amount of entries (after all, the games are no more samey than any other long running franchise). Yet those entries are not released very often when you look at the rate of release compared to other series. The other two series released games more often and those games have less differences than two given Zeldas.

Umm thanks I think :oops: but anyhoo, I'm not saying Zelda is bad or neccaraly rehashed only that using two new IP's this gen as comparrison is flawed IMO since perhaps FF or Sonic etc would be better suited is all - I'm a fan of Zelda afterall. :P

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]:lol: Okies.. comparatively..

Gears & UC..

Zelda..

SecretPolice

Umm thanks I think :oops: but anyhoo, I'm not saying Zelda is bad or neccaraly rehashed only that using two new IP's this gen as comparrison is flawed IMO since perhaps FF or Sonic etc would be better suited is all - I'm a fan of Zelda afterall. :P

I wasn't being sarcastic BTW.

I wouldn't consider Sonic or FF to be a rehash series as they make big changs every release. Actually, the Sonic series is one case in which it'd probably be better if they reheased the formula as Sonic Team comes up with some really stupid new concepts.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

SHEEP!
[spoiler] The only "rehash" was Twilight Princess... and even then it changed a significant amount of things. Anyone who has actually played both TP and Ocarina know they are vastly different and only share design styIe and setting.

Now Call of Duty, Uncharted and Gears... despite adding new elements, they are still the "same" game. [/spoiler]

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Yeah, no. No way.

Just gona throw this out there but the jump from UC1 to UC2 was huge as oposed to the jump from GeoW 1 to GeoW 2. Furthermore, they're both new IP's this gen as oposed to Zelda thats been going on since the 90's.

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 iammason
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts
Video Games business, much like any other entertainment business, is FULL of rehashes. For example, FPS are technically all rehashes and do very well because it is something we are familiar with, it has a large target audience. It's Mass Culture theory.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreySeal9

Yeah, no. No way.

Just gona throw this out there but the jump from UC1 to UC2 was huge as oposed to the jump from GeoW 1 to GeoW 2. Furthermore, they're both new IP's this gen as oposed to Zelda thats been going on since the 90's.

tonitorsi

The jump in terms of what? UC1 and UC2 was a huge jump because of a vast difference in the quality of the execution, but it was not a vast jump in terms of actual differences. Also, one could argue that Gears had less room to jump.

Secondly, the fact that they are new IPs is not really all that relevant when they are on their third entries and have a relatively fast rate of release. What is the more relevant is the actual differences between the entries, in which Zelda wins out handily. Zelda games have been so different from eachother in some ways that there has been fan backlash.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Yeah, no. No way.

Just gona throw this out there but the jump from UC1 to UC2 was huge as oposed to the jump from GeoW 1 to GeoW 2. Furthermore, they're both new IP's this gen as oposed to Zelda thats been going on since the 80's.

tonitorsi

Fixed. :P

doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 doesntcare
Member since 2007 • 1219 Posts

[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

Yeah, no. No way.

Just gona throw this out there but the jump from UC1 to UC2 was huge as oposed to the jump from GeoW 1 to GeoW 2. Furthermore, they're both new IP's this gen as oposed to Zelda thats been going on since the 80's.

samanthademeste

Fixed. :P

Ahhhh you beat me to it lol

DeckardLee2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DeckardLee2010
Member since 2010 • 402 Posts

Gears hasn't "changed" since 2006

CoD hasn't "changed" since 2007

Uncharted hasn't "changed" since 2007

Bu, Zelda hasn't changed since 1998. Which is worse?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-63f6895020e66
[QUOTE="DeckardLee2010"]

None of them is "bad", so neither can be "worse". It must also be noted that Gears and Uncharted didn't exist in 1998, so kinda pointless to compare that.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 foxhound_fox

Bu, Zelda hasn't changed since 1998. Which is worse?DeckardLee2010

Clearly you haven't played any Zelda game since Ocarina of Time... or any Zelda game at all.

DeckardLee2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DeckardLee2010
Member since 2010 • 402 Posts

[QUOTE="DeckardLee2010"]Bu, Zelda hasn't changed since 1998. Which is worse?foxhound_fox

Clearly you haven't played any Zelda game since Ocarina of Time... or any Zelda game at all.

I've played all major Zelda relesaes.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

DeckardLee2010

If all of your comments were true, then you'd be right... your problem is here. Zelda has changed quite a bit, do your homework.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 foxhound_fox

I've played all major Zelda relesaes.DeckardLee2010

Playing for 10 minutes doesn't count. Either you were asleep all the way through Majora's Mask, or you just don't care to acknowledge it is drastically different from everything else in the series.

It changed so much... people complained.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

All the Zelda games have felt different. It's almost like each game places you in a new world, each vastly different from the next. The only exception being TP, which still did have moments that felt different. The newest Zelda game, Spirit Tracks, is an outstanding game on its own. It is really different from other Zelda games. From a world, dungeon, and structure standpoint. People seem to think TP was that last Zelda game, which is just false.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

All the Zelda games have felt different. It's almost like each game places you in a new world, each vastly different from the next. The only exception being TP, which still did have moments that felt different. The newest Zelda game, Spirit Tracks, is an outstanding game on its own. It is really different from other Zelda games. From a world, dungeon, and structure standpoint. People seem to think TP was that last Zelda game, which is just false.

AmayaPapaya

This, although I have yet to play ST and should be ashamed to say so :P. I think all the Zelda games are just as awesome when you go back to them, because each one is so different. Man I cannot wait to replay TP and others soon :).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-63f6895020e66

You're really bad at reading comprehension.

My point was that Zelda's been rehashing a lot longer than the others have, therefore, if you're going to criticize rehashing, Zelda is the worst.

DeckardLee2010

Unless I missed something, I adressed both points:

I said that it's not a reason to criticizeeither game for, and that if Zeldahas been doing it for alonger time, it's because it has been around longer, so you can'tcompare.

babyeatermax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 babyeatermax
Member since 2010 • 272 Posts
It's not rehashed. The series just evolves at a turtle's pace.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Bread_or_Decide

The difference is Nintendo releases a main Zelda game in a longer time frame than what Insomniac has done with franchises like Ratchet and Clank and Resistance, what Epic has done with Gears and what not. They're already on their third iteration in this generation and we haven't had a Zelda exclusive Wii title yet.

I guess you could argue they're predictable in their methods (dungeons, light lamp posts with fire on a stick, etc) - but each Zelda game has felt pretty different in the ways it leads up to the end. Formulas are borrowed from old Zelda games into new ones, but there are minor differences that make it feel fresh considering they aren't releases every 2-3 years.

I don't really consider it 'milking' their franchises. These are what people have grown up with, what people still enjoy playing - Much in the same with established IPs like CoD, Ratchet and Clank, Halo, etc. Nothing wrong with it as long as they continue to add onto what they started off with in meaningful, good ways.

Though I'm sure you'll disagree with what I said regarding Zelda -- But that's how I feel about the series.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="DeckardLee2010"]Bu, Zelda hasn't changed since 1998. Which is worse?DeckardLee2010

I've played all major Zelda relesaes.

Then you should know they are all differents, you can't say with a straight face that Majora's Mask is similar to Wind Waker.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Well theres a topic about Zelda being like CoD that its rehashed. So if Zelda is counted as a rehash then would this not mean these 2 games are culprits also or does double standards of SW come into it that Gears and uncharted are not rehashes even though there will be 3 games from each series released this gen thus far!! Im expecting alot of "Zeldas been out 20 years" but then you got the excuse of "How many been released this gen"

I always seen them as sequels to good games.

Ohhhh.... Im gonna get "SHEEP" comments so before you do bring this comment up i own a 360 also with my Wii and havent played my Wii for quite a while.

Dibdibdobdobo

But fact is that it's not a rehash. Only a fanboys hatin' on Nintendo's dominance would say that. That's like calling Mario a rehash. The names are re-used obviously, but they are different enough to be games on their own. Wind Waker is very different from Majora's Mask for example, and A Link To The Past is extremely different from OOT. They also don't get released every year.

CoD, on the other hand, uses the same engine, same mechanics, same outdated trash visuals, same patheticly weak 5-6 hour campaign, and same mediocre MP with some sprinckles on top.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#46 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
I guess every series is a rehash
Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dibdibdobdobo

awww Foxhound you did it. You called me a Sheep.... Im going to cry. Though i agree with your points with the spoiler.

You can make the argument that every sequel that doesn't completely reinvent the game is a rehash. Which is not too much of an argument.IronBass

Very true but i enjoy watching SW's make a mountain out of a Mole Hill. Its funniez.

NaveedLife

Reason i used Gears and Uncharted as examples as theyre both exclusive rather than Multi-plat. With that in mind it add to the hypocrisy that people proclaim one franchise is a rehash then neglect theres.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

GeoW and Uncharted are relatively new IP's that came out for the first time this gen. Zelda has been more or less the same game since the N64 era and there has been like 7 COD games since this gen started...

COD2, 3, 4, WaW, MW2, BO, MW3

7 != 3

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts
A new Zelda only comes out about once every 4 years. Most other games get sequels after 2 years and CoD pumps a new entry out every year. Plus, you really can't argue against an adventure game when using shooters as an example. Shooters change the least between new entries. So if you condemn Zelda you also have to admit you hold shooters to a different standard.
Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dibdibdobdobo
A new Zelda only comes out about once every 4 years. Most other games get sequels after 2 years and CoD pumps a new entry out every year. Plus, you really can't argue against an adventure game when using shooters as an example. Shooters change the least between new entries. So if you condemn Zelda you also have to admit you hold shooters to a different standard.PatchMaster
Everything is held at various standards on SW's.