If one of the Big Three had to close up shop and get out of the console business, which would you choose?

• 94 results
Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll If one of the Big Three had to close up shop and get out of the console business, which would you choose? (103 votes)

Microsoft 51%
Sony 34%
Nintendo 15%

Hypothetically speaking, let's say that one of these three companies had to be shut down in terms of the console business, and the decision was up to you. Which company would you choose to close up shop? Basically, you should pick which one you'd miss the least.

• 
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39085 Posts

I don't want this to ever happen. Instead, can we have Samsung or Apple get into the mix? I would love that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

@hardwenzen: An Apple console would be....

Yeah, just no.

However, if Sega made a new console I'd be getting in line at 3 AM for that shit.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1002 Posts

Probably Nintendo honestly. They can then focus all of their efforts on software while putting their games on Xbox, Playstation, and PC. And also with the rise of other handheld systems, Nintendo games would still be portable and finally unleashed on top end hardware.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44258 Posts

Probably go with Sony myself. Wouldn’t really miss their hardware. Their controller is my least favourite of the big three current console makers.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10625 Posts

I wouldn’t want any of them to drop out of the console race because to me, they all bring something different to the table. Now from my perspective, it looks like the Xbox would be the console closer to being discontinued due to MS new approach with games and gamers.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hardwenzen  Online

@nod_calypse said:

Yeah, just no.

However, if Sega made a new console I'd be getting in line at 3 AM for that shit.

Sega is a welfare company, they will never get into the console business. I named Apple and Samsung because these two could very easily. And i am not sure what's wrong with Apple competing, it would only put some fire under Sony's ass to release more than one game per year.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

Sony for their Japanese censorship.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69643 Posts

They can all go out of business for all I care.😈

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56190 Posts

@Pedro said:

They can all go out of business for all I care.😈

MS is slowly moving into the digital world, so they'll still be in business, just not on the hardware side. But Sony & Nintendo, not so much😏🤭

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17821 Posts

All of them. Fuk console exclusives. I would rather they focus on making quality games for open hardware like any other major publisher.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

Certainly Microsoft.

My answer would have been different in the 360 generation, but times have changed. MS went from the company looking to expand its game IP diversity and make unique stuff, while leading the way to online console gaming with FREE online play and superior software and voice comm services...to whatever this is today. Also ran, profit driven, safe. Forza, Gears, Halo on repeat with the occasional new title or IP refresh along the way (Sea of Thieves, Perfect Dark, Ori). I can't really think of much else they've brought to the table in the last 15 years that couldn't have been done just as well or better by someone else.

Killer Instinct? Kameo? ReCore? Ori? Sunset Overdrive? All could have been on other platforms easily, and better. Microsoft wasn't even smart enough to pick up the Sunset Overdrive studio, to Sony's great benefit. While letting great IPs with big potential like Killer Instinct, Kameo, Project Gotham, Crimson Skies, Mech Assault, and Perfect Dark wither on the vine and die on their shelf of forgotten but loved IPs.

Yea, Microsoft can go. They wouldn't be missed. Again, if their online play was free and if they were still taking chances and innovating, I'd feel very differently. But as a safe also-ran, it's just not good enough. With due respect to game pass.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9571 Posts

Of the three at this point I'd say Xbox, and with the way things are looking I wouldn't be surprised to see them leave traditional console wars behind and go strictly digital subscription. Which honestly wouldn't make much of a difference.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 13999 Posts

OG Xbox and the 360 were sublime, but they've lost the plot since 2010. Goodbye Xbox.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Microsoft. I game on a Windows PC so I already have access to their catalog.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

In the next decade there won't be console hardware, it will all be digital and 100% profit for the companies.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44589 Posts

Sony, the world could do without their fanboys. And the shitfit that would ensue from them would be endlessly entertaining for years and years.

Loading Video...

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3426 Posts

I just want the GPU market to collapse so that bassman is forced to play on console.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1461 Posts

Well, I basically want all the Big 3 to stay in business.

Gaming consoles are affordable and easy to set up, yet allow you to play the latest popular games. It helps to spread the gaming culture to a wider audience. In fact, for the majority of people who just want to play their favorite games without any weird fetish for resolution or frame rate (or stuttering, haha), a $1500+ gaming PC is a bit of a stretch, and a console around $300-500 fits the bill.

Also, with the Big 3 competing, there is competition in console prices and subscription services, or game quality, resulting in even more consumer-friendly prices, services, and game quality. This is because they can, for example, make up any losses with software sales of their hardware, and other, say, PC hardware manufacturers cannot do the same.

However, if one of them has to go, I would choose MS, simply because their hardware and games are the least attractive overall compared to the other 2.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

OG Xbox and the 360 were sublime, but they've lost the plot since 2010. Goodbye Xbox.

*nods*

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9857 Posts

I think MS clearly brings the least to the table.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22385 Posts

None of them, but if I had to choose, I play Sony consoles the least... So them by default.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8484 Posts

Are you talking about console as a hardware then all 3 can go. Actually I'm quite sure that outside of Nintendo, this is the last 'console' generation or at best the last decade. The way things are going I highly doubt there will be consoles by the time 2030 rolls around.

EastLand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EastLand
Member since 2018 • 300 Posts

Xbots will vote for Sony and Ponies will vote for Microsoft so sadly this vote will just come down to who has the most fanboys on this particular website.

Personally I voted for Nintendo because I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the GameCube and their games are the least appealing to me.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1253 Posts

Nintendo assuming they'd still be making games ....Their games don't appeal to me all that much and on the off chance they put something out I do care about ... I'd rather not buy their lame hardware.

If Sony or MS dropped out, I think the other would start being more dickish to customers since their main competition is gone. Don't think it's as much of an issue if Nintendo dropped out since they are not directly competing with anyone at this point.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1278 Posts

In this Hypothetical scenario i would choose Nintendo purely on the fact i don't or never have owned one of their systems.

But Sony would be a very close 2nd,their CEO and face of their product is a compulsive liar and judging by the Sony showcase an average at best first party offering going forward.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7213 Posts

Easily Sony. They bring nothing to the table. All they have ever done is copy everyone and use their big bank account and media muscle to bully other companies. They also censor games like crazy to appease their Chinese overlords. The day Sony is destroyed by Microsoft and Nintendo will be the day gamers can rejoice in true freedom and truly prosper. Down with dictators!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#29 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17821 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

I just want the GPU market to collapse so that bassman is forced to play on console.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#30 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41552 Posts

Even though I like their consoles, given how defensive they've been on the "we'll share" mentality of the Activision buyout (though "f*** you" if you like modern Bethesda games on anything but Xbox/PC), it's MS...

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45215 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

I think MS clearly brings the least to the table.

Yea, sadly this is objectively true, but hopefully they can turn it around the real way, which is to invest in their own companies, not trying to buy major 3rd parties all the time.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44125 Posts

Hewlett Packard. lol :P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendoboy16
@nfamouslegend said:

Probably Nintendo honestly. They can then focus all of their efforts on software while putting their games on Xbox, Playstation, and PC. And also with the rise of other handheld systems, Nintendo games would still be portable and finally unleashed on top end hardware.

Except they would have more platforms to focus on, which guarantees worse versions of ports, if not their own games without a centralized platform.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34654 Posts

If I had to choose one, probably Sony. They mostly produce boring games for boring people, and the very little they produce that is actually worth to play could easily be released elsewhere. They also make shit controllers and always have. Pretty big downside for a gaming company, I must say..

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 512 Posts

If i had to pick one, Nintendo without hesitation. I haven't cared for any of their games, hardware, or controllers for years. I also don't like their emphasis on selling added peripherals or their lack of BC and 3rd party support.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#36 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69643 Posts

@Litchie said:

If I had to choose one, probably Sony. They mostly produce boring games for boring people, and the very little they produce that is actually worth to play could easily be released elsewhere. They also make shit controllers and always have. Pretty big downside for a gaming company, I must say..

Hard to argue against this.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#37 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2958 Posts

Xbox. I feel like they don't do enough to incentivize console players. It's not that they don't have enough people using their platform (they definitely do) but it's hard to justify an Xbox especially if you already own a gaming PC.

PC literally gets the same games, (with the exception of some split screen modes if you're really particular), they (Xbox) don't have exclusives, which goes hand in hand with the fact that they have barely any killer apps, they don't have any cool gimmicks. (Like the Switch or PSVR), Series S in particular has no disc drive for Blu-rays (Xbox giveth and they taketh away). They stripped down GWG from what it was last gen. Yada yada yada I could go on for a while.

If they were to close up shop, (let's say exited console business and just made computer games) I think I would be fine with that.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5264 Posts

All of them! Consoles are evil and create gamer tribalism.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@onesiphorus said:

Consoles are evil

Lol, wouldn't go that far

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@Archangel3371 said:

Probably go with Sony myself. Wouldn’t really miss their hardware. Their controller is my least favourite of the big three current console makers.

Honestly, the dualsense is my favorite controller pretty much ever. Use it every day. As for their other hardware, well, hit or miss.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nintendoboy16

@onesiphorus said:

All of them! Consoles are evil and create gamer tribalism.

Might as well just nuke the entire games industry then!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@hardwenzen said:
@nod_calypse said:

Yeah, just no.

Sega is a welfare company, they will never get into the console business. I named Apple and Samsung because these two could very easily. And i am not sure what's wrong with Apple competing, it would only put some fire under Sony's ass to release more than one game per year.

Lol, Sega sees enough success. But what needs to happens is they need to pitch a console, and investors can pay for it.

Google, Apple, Samsung, Amazon are your options otherwise. And those are some sad fucking options.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50580 Posts

Just console making? I would LOVE for Nintendo games to be made available to better hardware, so them.

If we are talking all aspects, consoles and games, then MS.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8268 Posts

Sony, not a fan of the controller or thier 1st party, lack backwards compatibility,also they lack integrating their console with PC. MS and Ninty stays.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

I think sales numbers speak for themselves. MS made Xbox almost irrelevant by releasing everything on PC and making gamepass cheaper on PC. Their controller is basically the same for the last 10 years, still using old battery tech and not bothering advancing much on it. Not even a VR option on Xbox still.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 912 Posts

I'd be fine with Playstation or Xbox going bye bye at this point. As long as one of them was still around.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

It's a tough one but I have to go with ms if pushed. Can't get rid of Nintendo for nostalgia purposes and Sony is my system of choice this gen.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13016 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Easily Sony. They bring nothing to the table. All they have ever done is copy everyone and use their big bank account and media muscle to bully other companies. They also censor games like crazy to appease their Chinese overlords. The day Sony is destroyed by Microsoft and Nintendo will be the day gamers can rejoice in true freedom and truly prosper. Down with dictators!

Yea, sadly this is objectively true, but hopefully they can turn it around the real way, which is to invest in their own companies, not trying to buy major 3rd parties all the time.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23940 Posts

If just leaving the console manufacturing? Nintendo. Excellent games, but their service isn't the best. I would love to play their games on Steam.

Otherwise, Sony.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hardwenzen  Online

@Maroxad said:

If just leaving the console manufacturing? Nintendo. Excellent games, but their service isn't the best. I would love to play their games on Steam.

Otherwise, Sony.

Nice joke. The second Nintendo stops releasing consoles, you will be the first raging on SW, and let everyone know how unhappy you're about the situation. There is no way that a vintage sheep such as yourself would accept Nintendo exiting the console business. I don't believe it one bit.