If Kinect sold 1 million day 1, would it be more of a success than Move

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ProjectNatalFan
ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ProjectNatalFan
Member since 2010 • 2471 Posts

Honest opinions...

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
.....are you asking how much Move sold Day one?
ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ProjectNatalFan

.....are you asking how much Move sold Day one?lawlessx

just overall if it sold 1 million units day one what would be the reaction here on SW, what would it mean overall? Would it be a very good thing and is it attainable for Microsoft?

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Long term would be a better judge since Microsoft will put in 100X the advertising as Sony for launch.

KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KevinButlerVP
Member since 2010 • 2378 Posts
are you asking if Kinect sold 1 million unites day 1, would it make it more successful than the Move? obvious answer is yes in the short term, who knows in the long term
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lawlessx

[QUOTE="lawlessx"].....are you asking how much Move sold Day one?ProjectNatalFan

just overall if it sold 1 million units day one what would be the reaction here on SW, what would it mean overall? Would it be a very good thing and is it attainable for Microsoft?

the reaction would be cows would be in complete damage control and lemmings will actually start pretending to give a crap about kinect.
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Of course it would be good for MS, what kind of dumb question is that?? Stop dwelling on "ifs"... what if Move sold more units than Kinect?? what if only YOU bought Kinect??

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

I seriously don't understand what's the point in buying Kinect. I seriously doubt casuals will understand it better than me.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dercoo

[QUOTE="lawlessx"].....are you asking how much Move sold Day one?ProjectNatalFan

For Microsoft it would be a great thing.

For core gamers, no.

If Kinect takes off Microsoft will pay even less attention to their current fanbase, to maximise profit of Kinects.

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ProjectNatalFan

Of course it would be good for MS, what kind of dumb question is that?? Stop dwelling on "ifs"... what if Move sold more units than Kinect?? what if only YOU bought Kinect??

GreenGoblin2099

hardly going to be the case, and my if's are more attainable than your if's so if it does then what would guys like you say since you bashed it and said it would do nothing?

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ProjectNatalFan

[QUOTE="ProjectNatalFan"]

[QUOTE="lawlessx"].....are you asking how much Move sold Day one?dercoo

For core gamers, no.

If Kinect takes off Microsoft will pay even less attention to their current fanbase, to maximise profit of Kinects.

you think it will sell a ton? What is your feeling if you had to guess on it.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts
Its already a more success than move i believe. Kinect has more preorders than move sold, though im just speculating. I could be right though seeing as how gamestop and other retailers stopped taking preorders for kinect.
jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

Well now Johnny, when a company makes a product, it's typically considered to be a successful if the product gets sold. Sometimes even large quantities can be sold! Now, assuming 1,000,000 is a large quantity, if Microsoft sells 1,000,000 Kinects, logically speaking it should be successful!

xsalvioutlawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xsalvioutlawx
Member since 2007 • 423 Posts

Of course it would be a success.

Sales is all that matters to both SONY and Microsoft.

I hate how people act like Sony made the Move just for its fans or someting. They're in it to sell as many of them as they possibly can, just like microsoft.

That's business.

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GreenGoblin2099

[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

ProjectNatalFan

hardly going to be the case, and my if's are more attainable than your if's so if it does then what would guys like you say since you bashed it and said it would do nothing?

1st off I've never doubted Kinect is going to sell well...

2nd we don't "bash" Kinect because it'll sell poorly, we "bash" it because it has nothing to offer we're interested in. All kinectgames are jokes and you know it... I dare you buy River Rush and Kinectimals and Kinect Adventures and all the games you've been hyping for this thing and HONESTLY enjoy them.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I'd call that BS.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lawlessx

ProjectNatalFan

Kinect selling wouldn't change the opinion of those who bash it.
ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ProjectNatalFan

GreenGoblin2099

2nd we don't "bash" Kinect because it'll sell poorly, we "bash" it because it has nothing to offer we're interested in. All kinectgames are jokes and you know it... I dare you buy River Rush and Kinectimals and Kinect Adventures and all the games you've been hyping for this thing and HONESTLY enjoy them.

I might not like it but casuals will, and I will like steel battallion and the scary game by SEGA and games like that, but dont deny what others might like because you dont like it. I love the concept, and Kinect Hub is great also, do you own a 360?

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts

Did you miss out on tgs this year?? kinect has alot more to offer than what you listed.
ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ProjectNatalFan

lawlessx

Kinect selling wouldn't change the opinion of those who bash it.

Although you just said that lemmings who bashed it now will pretend to like it after the results are great...

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ProjectNatalFan

bigboss5ak

Did you miss out on tgs this year?? kinect has alot more to offer than what you listed.

yes excellent point.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14506 Posts

1) MS will probably twist their sales numbers to say they sold as many Kinect cameras within reason anyway so I wouldn't be that surprised if that number reached or exceeded a million units

2) If 1 million people actually do buy Kinect, they'll be the first million to know how much of a bust it is which will prevent tens of millions from buying it.

So yeah, selling a million will be a success in my book. Anytime you can sucker a million people into buying a piece of crap should be considered a success.

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreenGoblin2099

ProjectNatalFan

I might not like it but casuals will, and I will like steel battallion and the scary game by SEGA and games like that, but dont deny what others might like because you dont like it. I love the concept, and Kinect Hub is great also, do you own a 360?

HA!!! At least you're being honest about it.... but then it remains to see why were you hyping all those games you just said won't enjoy. And this was way back before TGS, so???

And no, I've stated many times I don't own a 360, but this has nothing to do with Kinect appealing to me or not. I've also said that, out of the known Kinect titles, IfindDance Central to be an interesting game, so don't try to use the fanboy card on me because I'm not. When a game's good IMOI acknowledge it.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Casual gamers don't have an xbox, they have a ps3 or a wii usually though. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see when it releases.

To me, Move is much more interesting.

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ProjectNatalFan

1) MS will probably twist their sales numbers to say they sold as many Kinect cameras within reason anyway so I wouldn't be that surprised if that number reached or exceeded a million units

2) If 1 million people actually do buy Kinect, they'll be the first million to know how much of a bust it is which will prevent tens of millions from buying it.

So yeah, selling a million will be a success in my book. Anytime you can sucker a million people into buying a piece of crap should be considered a success.

Basinboy

1. Nice spin but 1 million is 1 million

2. Kinect Hub and something you know nothing about and proclaiming it a bust is a little premature.

3. Yes either way, its a success and I think it might happen.

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ProjectNatalFan

GreenGoblin2099

HA!!! At least you're being honest about it.... but then it remains to see why were you hyping all those games you just said won't enjoy. And this was way back before TGS, so???

And no, I've stated many times I don't own a 360, but this has nothing to do with Kinect appealing to me or not. I've also said that, out of the known Kinect titles, IfindDance Central to be an interesting game, so don't try to use the fanboy card on me because I'm not. When a game's good IMOI acknowledge it.

I love the tech and I love the commitment by MS to Kinect. They will have your console doing alot of things just by talking to it, geturing it, and god knows what they think of in 3 years. Pretty cool stuff, the intergration will grow and grow and I love it.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dercoo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

ProjectNatalFan

For core gamers, no.

At launch yes, Microsoft marketing department is huge. They will market the ***** out of it. Heck they could even out do what they did for Reach.

After wards it does not look bright unless they get good games/fresh games. The only one that fits this at launch is the Dance game by Harmonics.

Casuals have a Wii already. Getting them to invest in new motion controls (for this market it would be a 300$ investment) will be tough.

narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts

i have see many subliminal kinect ads , like in a tv series someone buying a kinect in the background and stuff like that so it look like Ms is going to sell this thing yes or yes xD

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ProjectNatalFan

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

For core gamers, no.

dercoo

At launch yes, Microsoft marketing department is huge. They will market the ***** out of it. Heck they could even out do what they did for Reach.

After wards it does not look bright unless they get good games/fresh games. The only one that fits this at launch is the Dance game by Harmonics.

Casuals have a Wii already. Getting them to invest in new motion controls (for this market it would be a 300$ investment) will be tough.

to be honest people like the idea and novelity of talking to it, and that whole bit. It is a very nice piece of tech.

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ProjectNatalFan

i have see many subliminal kinect ads , like in a tv series someone buying a kinect in the background and stuff like that so it look like Ms is going to sell this thing yes or yes xD

narog84

lol well if it sells 1 million at launch does that make it more of a success than Move moving foward?

KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KevinButlerVP
Member since 2010 • 2378 Posts

ProjectNatalFan

I love the tech and I love the commitment by MS to Kinect. They will have your console doing alot of things just by talking to it, geturing it, and god knows what they think of in 3 years. Pretty cool stuff, the intergration will grow and grow and I love it.

but the tech MS is committed to has a lot of lag
ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ProjectNatalFan

narog84

lol well if it sells 1 million at launch does that make it more of a success than Move moving foward?

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GreenGoblin2099

ProjectNatalFan

Concept is good, I reckon... but it needs more than just an appealing user interface to be good at what it offers. In the end I think Kinect will be yet another useless gimmick in gaming just like the sixaxis was.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dercoo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

ProjectNatalFan

to be honest people like the idea and novelity of talking to it, and that whole bit. It is a very nice piece of tech.

People also like the idea of 3D TV. How many will get them this year.

Sure Kinect is not as big of an investment for as 3D tvs, but its still a 300$ price tag for consumers just coming out of a serious recession.

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ProjectNatalFan

GreenGoblin2099

Concept is good, I reckon... but it needs more than just an appealing user interface to be good at what it offers. In the end I think Kinect will be yet another useless gimmick in gaming just like the sixaxis was.

I must say that I disagree. It has some interesting games coming out and who knows what is in store. This gives them more opportunies to do things and they will do things. The intergration is what I love about it, the games will appeal to casuals, and I think it will be a nice hit and will be built into windows 8, and the next xbox for sure. Maybe upgraded resolution cameras maybe this and or that but the movement has started. I use windows 7 voice recognition to post this. I didnt do one keystroke for this post. Great right?

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ProjectNatalFan

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

dercoo

Sure Kinect is not as big of an investment for as 3D tvs, but its still a 300$ price tag for consumers just coming out of a serious recession.

150 if you already own....

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dercoo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

ProjectNatalFan

Thats not who they are mainlymarketing it to.

Kinect is obviously an attempt to draw in the casual crowd in like the Wii. Most of that group does not own a 360 already. So their main target maket would have to pay 300$.

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ProjectNatalFan

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

dercoo

Kinect is obviously an attempt to draw in the casual crowd in like the Wii. Most of that group does not own a 360 already. So their main target maket would have to pay 300$.

i think they are targeting both. more the console 300 one i agree but they arent turning their back on the xbox owner either, they want them to buy it as well.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

ProjectNatalFan

I would say "Cool the Wii has still sold about 75 million units." Also, "Kinect still sucks and until it proves it can be used for good games I won't say otherwise."
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

ProjectNatalFan

i think they are targeting both. more the console 300 one i agree but they arent turning their back on the xbox owner either, they want them to buy it as well.

Of course they want them to buy it it means more money. Regardless it's not like they're going to actually use it to make games for their gamer crowd. There's honestly no way to do so, not with accurate control anyhow.

king_bobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 king_bobo
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised - Kinect has always had a business model more likely to succeed in the current market (despite it's fairly outrageous pricing) - it's fundamentally even more casual than the Nintendo Wii, and going by the adverts, all they're trying to do is ween that audience off of their competitors' controller input. Personally, I prefer Move, but I'm almost certain that Kinect will be more financially successful - as for the games and how well it is recieved by critics? Well, we'll have to wait and see.
badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
depends on the amount of money spend on advertising the kinect
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

depends on the amount of money spend on advertising the kinect badtaker
"Hundreds of millions."

jume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jume
Member since 2004 • 115 Posts

bigboss5ak

Did you miss out on last years E3? MS was promising impressing tech that looked like SciFi with Natal and this year they deliver unfinished overpriced junk. But apparently all that is quickly forgotten, because THIS year, they promise something else they probably won't keep. What did they show? Did they SHOW how all those great core games will work? No, it's just announcements and promises.

Voice control. Seriously. Get Windows 7, turn on voice recognition, play with it for 10-20min and you'll be fed up with that gimmick.

And how come that selling more than Move is now suddenly the measure of success. I though Kinect was going to be huge and according to lems Move isn't selling that great. Lowered expectation much?

I consider it a success if we don't see tons of Kinects popping up on eBay and selling for 50$ and less in 6 months. I'll consider it a good product if it gets decent reviews and turns out to work reliably. I'll consider it a worthwhile purchase if the promised Steel Battallion won't be an on rails shooter or simply use a controller with Kinect being added as a gimmick.

And about "1 million is 1 million". No. 1 million Kinect cameras is 500k Kinect units. And there are much subtler way to make your numbers look good.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dercoo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

ProjectNatalFan

I just curious what kinects games are targeting their gamer crowd.

The closest thing I know of is possible support for Fable 3, and Child of Eden (which early reports are not favorable for the kinect version).

Well and Forza 4, but Kinect control for a racing game as demonstrated just seems stupid to me.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2154 Posts

it sell 350,000 on day one.........but after that it will decline.........seriously microsoft needs to calm down its like they never heard of the Power Glove, Betamax, Superscope, that stupid a** robot for nintendo, that ring thing for sega, virtural boy.......all ahead of its time and all fail miserably.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dercoo

it sell 350,000 on day one.........but after that it will decline.........seriously microsoft needs to calm down its like they never heard of the Power Glove, Betamax, Superscope, that stupid a** robot for nintendo, that ring thing for sega, virtural boy.......all ahead of its time and all fail miserably.

Syn_Valence

You forgot to mention the eyetoy:P

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Syn_Valence

[QUOTE="Syn_Valence"]

dercoo

You forgot to mention the eyetoy:P

the eye toy also you are correct sir
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

Nintendo beat both Sony and MS to the failed motion controler market.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Syn_Valence

Nintendo beat both Sony and MS to the failed motion controler market.

Jynxzor

Every company has one or two massive fail............that's why i think kintec is micro's second fail besides HD-DVD