I would buy a 360 if it were not for...

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

The bloody RROD. And I am not bashing the 360 either, it has some great games and I am constantly tempted to buy one (i used to own one but swapped to PS3 after it died after 3 months). My fav console remains the PS3, but I would love to buy a 360 to avoid some shonky ports and, more importantly, play some exclusives like Mass Effect. The console is quite cheap really and I could easily afford it, but I simply can't justify buying a console which is inherently broken.

Sure you can claim the RROD is long gone, but you only have to glance at the 360 forum to see the "Broken Xbox thread" VERSION 3!!!!! It is a contstant flow of broken xbox queries. I will get told that this is such an old argument... and it is, but it is still as relavant today as it was a few years back.

So, for me, looks like I will have to put up with the odd shonky port and miss out on the odd exclusive.

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RedruM_I
Member since 2009 • 3051 Posts
If you want it for games like Mass Effect better save up and get a good PC. PC/PS3 combo is the best! and unless you really really like Halo you don't need a 360.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
I wouldn't think a thread on an internet forum is a very reliable place to judge how often RRoD happens. If anything, it'd be well, unreliable to judge from that. That being said, considering the number of RRoDs is significantly lower than it used to be and the "76%" or whatever is entirely inaccurate, it really is an old and irrelevant argument.
InfiniteBlak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 InfiniteBlak
Member since 2009 • 794 Posts
RROD and mainly its just for Halo and COD.
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thetruespin
[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]I wouldn't think a thread on an internet forum is a very reliable place to judge how often RRoD happens. If anything, it'd be well, unreliable to judge from that. That being said, considering the number of RRoDs is significantly lower than it used to be and the "76%" or whatever is entirely inaccurate, it really is an old and irrelevant argument.

That is what I was told when I first bought a 360.... 3 months later it was dead. So, originally I did ignore all the RROD threads and dismissed them as fakeboys trying to hype a non-issue/... alas I was wrong. The day MS fix it (i wish), I will purchase 1..
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thetruespin
RROD and mainly its just for Halo and COD.InfiniteBlak
problem is, I quite like Halo 3.... it is a tad overhyped but it is a very good multiplayer game....
Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

Get an Elite 360, they run like a charm, very little death rate.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
[QUOTE="thetruespin"][QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]I wouldn't think a thread on an internet forum is a very reliable place to judge how often RRoD happens. If anything, it'd be well, unreliable to judge from that. That being said, considering the number of RRoDs is significantly lower than it used to be and the "76%" or whatever is entirely inaccurate, it really is an old and irrelevant argument.

That is what I was told when I first bought a 360.... 3 months later it was dead. So, originally I did ignore all the RROD threads and dismissed them as fakeboys trying to hype a non-issue/... alas I was wrong. The day MS fix it (i wish), I will purchase 1..

Bad luck on one occasion, really. My 360's never RRoD'd, but I wouldn't use that to claim people saying RRoD happens are wrong. Its just not as common as the bandwagon claims.
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

the 360 failure rate is right on par with ps3 now.

Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts
If you buy one now then you wont have to worry about getting RROD. Though I would never recommend a 360 to anyone. My brother plays my 360 more than me and its mine. At first when I got it at launch I got that aw factor for awhile. Now since Ive been mainly playing PC games I have seen my library for my 360 diminish. I am getting forza3 and AC2, but those have really only the titles that I have really wanted this year. I bought a bunch of old games like LO and The Darkness. If I could trade in my 360 for PS3 I would do it in a second.
RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RedruM_I

Colin1192
:lol::lol::lol: Good one!
furomaster_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 furomaster_99
Member since 2009 • 737 Posts

Get an Elite 360, they run like a charm, very little death rate.

Disturbed123

Oh wow....I had no idea the elite had a different internal design. Why has this not been advertised? :roll:

mirriorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 mirriorman
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

my xbox never died and ive had it for a couple of years

thats like saying you will never get a car as there are lots of car crashs

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RedruM_I

mirriorman
No that's like saying you will never get that car because it tends to burst up in flames regularly which is the sensible thing to do.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17469 Posts

Good lord dude, you get a 3yr warranty!! Newer 360s arent NEARLY as bad as launch ones, just get one already, and if you get RROD, feel free to contribute to the "Broken Xbox thread" VERSION 3!!!!!"" and send it to MS for a FREE repair !!!

furomaster_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 furomaster_99

mirriorman

Actually, it would be more like a certain brand of car catching on fire, but whatever.

Avatar image for devilsoultaker2
devilsoultaker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 devilsoultaker2
Member since 2009 • 904 Posts

Colin1192
^^^ and get the jasper
RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RedruM_I
Good lord dude, you get a 3yr warranty!! Newer 360s are NEARLY as bad as launch ones, just get one already, and if you get RROD, feel free to contribute to the "Broken Xbox thread" VERSION 3!!!!!"" and send it to MS for a FREE repair !!!navyguy21
He just has to make sure it won't break after those 3 years ;)
RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RedruM_I
[QUOTE="Colin1192"]

devilsoultaker2
^^^ and get the jasper

Ask this guys where are they coming up with the numbers of 360 failure rates being equal to PS3 and they can't provide anything but their opinion. That's proof enough that the 360 is still the most unreliable console.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 navyguy21
[QUOTE="navyguy21"]Good lord dude, you get a 3yr warranty!! Newer 360s arent NEARLY as bad as launch ones, just get one already, and if you get RROD, feel free to contribute to the "Broken Xbox thread" VERSION 3!!!!!"" and send it to MS for a FREE repair !!!RedruM_I
He just has to make sure it won't break after those 3 years ;)

3 years for ANY electronic device is well past its life expectancy anyways. At that point, it will be dirt cheap, and he can get another like the millions of PS2 owners do every year
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 navyguy21
[QUOTE="devilsoultaker2"][QUOTE="Colin1192"]

RedruM_I
^^^ and get the jasper

Ask this guys where are they coming up with the numbers of 360 failure rates being equal to PS3 and they can't provide anything but their opinion. That's proof enough that the 360 is still the most unreliable console.

he was referring to the square trade report of only the jasper units (which are now the only ones sold since november 2008) in which the failure rate was 4%. Problem is, people will never let it go because of the stigma attached to the console, and the fact that there are millions of non-jasper units out there. But the NEW ones are fine. Cows need to let it go
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
4% chance of RROD in Jasper models. If that were not enough, you get 3 years free warranty. If that stops you from getting one, then you don't really want the 360 now do you.
destro123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 destro123
Member since 2005 • 755 Posts

RROD doesnt happen to much anymore, take your chances.

Hathesulacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hathesulacon
Member since 2008 • 1374 Posts

Buy a new one, the new ones are as likely to break as a ps3. You cant miss out on Halo Reach and Crackdown 2 and Mass Effect 2. Leave PC out of this thread omg lol.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 navyguy21
4% chance of RROD in Jasper models. If that were not enough, you get 3 years free warranty. If that stops you from getting one, then you don't really want the 360 now do you. themyth01
lol, pretty much, but then again, his posting history pretty much proves that since he constantly bashes the console
RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RedruM_I
[QUOTE="navyguy21"] 3 years for ANY electronic device is well past its life expectancy anyways.

No, just no. Electronic devices are expected to live 6 years at least to be considered of some quality the ones with most quality lasting way longer than that. A device that can't get past the 3-4 year lifetime without breaking can be considered pure crap. Hell, my original SNES still works as well as my PS and PS2 (although this one could be considered not top notch quality). My mother's refrigerator has more than 25 years, my last computer had more than 8 years and worked perfectly, etc. I think that in some places like UK you can even sue if your electronic device breaks before the 6 years limit. Saying that 3 years is way past the life expectancy of the 360 is pathetic.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#27 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

The four days my 360 was out for repair were perhaps the most play in a four day period my PS3 had ever seen.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 navyguy21
[QUOTE="RedruM_I"][QUOTE="navyguy21"] 3 years for ANY electronic device is well past its life expectancy anyways.

No, just no. Electronic devices are expected to live 6 years at least to be considered of some quality the ones with most quality lasting way longer than that. A device that can't get past the 3-4 year lifetime without breaking can be considered pure crap. Hell, my original SNES still works as well as my PS and PS2 (although this one could be considered not top notch quality). My mother's refrigerator has more than 25 years, my last computer had more than 8 years and worked perfectly, etc. I think that in some places like UK you can even sue if your electronic device breaks before the 6 years limit. Saying that 3 years is way past the life expectancy of the 360 is pathetic.

Warranties on electronics are usually 1yr, after that, the company isnt responsible for what happens. Thats what i mean, im not talking about how long they eventually last, or individual experiences
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Get a PC, you odn't need a 360 and Mass Effect will play on a 2/3 year old laptop which means it'll play on a pretty average rig. Plus you need a PC for school, work, and a bunch of other things so just invest another 100/200 dollars and make it a decent rig too.

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RedruM_I
[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="RedruM_I"][QUOTE="devilsoultaker2"] ^^^ and get the jasper

he was referring to the square trade report of only the jasper units (which are now the only ones sold since november 2008) in which the failure rate was 4%. Problem is, people will never let it go because of the stigma attached to the console, and the fact that there are millions of non-jasper units out there. But the NEW ones are fine. Cows need to let it go

Was that the report that focused on the first 2 years of lifetime only and ignored those customers who used the MS warranty directly without passing through Squaretrade? That report was as unreliable as the 360 :lol:
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
Get one! The newer 360s don't RROD. I've had a Pro since June, and it's worked great. :D
RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RedruM_I
[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="RedruM_I"][QUOTE="navyguy21"] 3 years for ANY electronic device is well past its life expectancy anyways.

Warranties on electronics are usually 1yr, after that, the company isnt responsible for what happens. Thats what i mean, im not talking about how long they eventually last, or individual experiences

You said that it was past its lifetime expectancy not past its warranty.
Panosola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Panosola
Member since 2006 • 2150 Posts
I don't see any problem.The newest XBOX360 are fitted with new 'Jasper' motherboards and the upgraded components are smaller and emit less heat, to make the RRoD problem a thing of the past.Only some of the the old 360 models have RRod the new 360 models have no RRod. The XBOX360 RRoD problem finally fixed.I have my XBOX360 for 2 years and i haven't any problem.If you like the 360 just go and buy one,you have nothing to fear anymore.
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
3 year warranty.. p.s. cool storey bro
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
[QUOTE="RedruM_I"][QUOTE="Colin1192"]

I see you don't keep up with new reports on this sort of thing. Studies on the new 360's fail rate have been graphed at 4% of RROD now. Granted there are other failure types as well but saying newer 360's fail rate is on par with PS3 isn't false (but a little too leanient to say the lesat).
RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RedruM_I
[QUOTE="moose_knuckler"][QUOTE="RedruM_I"][QUOTE="Colin1192"]

I see you don't keep up with new reports on this sort of thing. Studies on the new 360's fail rate have been graphed at 4% of RROD now. Granted there are other failure types as well but saying newer 360's fail rate is on par with PS3 isn't false (but a little too leanient to say the lesat).

Links? And not to that bogus and misleading SquareTarde report please.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 navyguy21

Was that the report that focused on the first 2 years of lifetime only and ignored those customers who used the MS warranty directly without passing through Squaretrade? That report was as unreliable as the 360 :lol:RedruM_I

Ok dude, does bashing the 360 every change you get make you feel better? Do you get butterflies? Its kinda sad really...........

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

[QUOTE="RedruM_I"][QUOTE="devilsoultaker2"] ^^^ and get the jasper navyguy21

Technically the 4% reported in the Squaretrade study refers specifically to RROD, while "All other failures" still accounted for an approx 12% malfunction rate (which would give it a total of 15-16%), which still exceeds that of thePS3 (and the Wii).

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RedruM_I

[QUOTE="RedruM_I"]Was that the report that focused on the first 2 years of lifetime only and ignored those customers who used the MS warranty directly without passing through Squaretrade? That report was as unreliable as the 360 :lol:navyguy21

Ok dude, does bashing the 360 every change you get make you feel better? Do you get butterflies? Its kinda sad really...........

Maybe the same you get when you defend it? :) I'm just trying to inform people of what they buy. Saying that the 360 is not an unreliable piece of hardware is misleading and I've witnessed several people severely disspointed when they noticed that afterwards.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

Good lord dude, you get a 3yr warranty!! Newer 360s arent NEARLY as bad as launch ones, just get one already, and if you get RROD, feel free to contribute to the "Broken Xbox thread" VERSION 3!!!!!"" and send it to MS for a FREE repair !!!

navyguy21

Having a 3-yr warranty does not instantly nullify complaints about a high failure rate. When my brothers 360 rrod the first time, from the time it broke till he had called, waited for the coffin to show up, sent it back off, waited for it to get back was 5 weeks. The second time I think was only 3 weeks. That's still 2 months out of the past 2 years. My brother-in-law's only rrod once so far, with a turn-around time of about a month. One of my friends had 2 rrod, another had 3. In fact I don't actually know anyone with a 360 that hasn't had at least one.

Anyway, the point is, I dunno about you, but when I make a major purchase, like a game console, I don't buy it with the intention of only using it 10 or 11 months out of every 12, I buy it expecting to be able to play games anytime I want. Saying that RROD is not even a problem because they fix it for free is like buying a new car, and the dealer says "Now you don't mind if we come take the car back without warning for a month at a time every now and then, right?"

What they SHOULD do, that would go a lot further towards making it alright, is do like EA did when Rock Band came out and some of the guitars were defective. When you call to report a broken unit, they immediately overnight you a new one, and you send the broken one back in the shipping box. Then if you don't ever send one back, they charge your credit card the cost of a new console.

njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts

still dont believe the 4% reading that they gave, have had 2 jaspers and both broke one from RROD, and one from E74.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

[QUOTE="RedruM_I"]Was that the report that focused on the first 2 years of lifetime only and ignored those customers who used the MS warranty directly without passing through Squaretrade? That report was as unreliable as the 360 :lol:RedruM_I

Maybe the same you get when you defend it? :) I'm just trying to inform people of what they buy. Saying that the 360 is not an unreliable piece of hardware is misleading and I've witnessed several people severely disspointed when they noticed that afterwards.

lol, dude, i defend it because of cows like you who irrationally bash the console, i also defend the PS3 when lemmings irrationally bash it. Do i get butterflies when i defend them? No, i get angry when i see fanboys like you who seem to get pleasure from trolling, and being a fanboy. I see alot of people like you in real life who are bullies, and as a mentor, i have to deal with it. I dislike people who get pleasure from downing, or attacking others. So forgive me for being impartial :roll:

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
I will get a 360 eventually. It has too many good games for me not to. What's stopping me is: 1. Price 2. RRoD 3. Xbox Live isn't free
Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

The bloody RROD. And I am not bashing the 360 either, it has some great games and I am constantly tempted to buy one (i used to own one but swapped to PS3 after it died after 3 months). My fav console remains the PS3, but I would love to buy a 360 to avoid some shonky ports and, more importantly, play some exclusives like Mass Effect. The console is quite cheap really and I could easily afford it, but I simply can't justify buying a console which is inherently broken.

Sure you can claim the RROD is long gone, but you only have to glance at the 360 forum to see the "Broken Xbox thread" VERSION 3!!!!! It is a contstant flow of broken xbox queries. I will get told that this is such an old argument... and it is, but it is still as relavant today as it was a few years back.

So, for me, looks like I will have to put up with the odd shonky port and miss out on the odd exclusive.

thetruespin
Don't listen to the Sony fanboys, you don't suffer from that weird fanboy sickness do you, well then buy one you know Mass Effect is awesome and Gears. Having both is wicked
njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts

[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

Supabul

Don't listen to the Sony fanboys, you don't suffer from that weird fanboy sickness do you, well then buy one you know Mass Effect is awesome and Gears. Having both is wicked

you can get both on pc with better graphics :roll:

Now Gears of War 2 you can not get on pc. Dont really know if that game is worth 260 bucks thats without the hardrive and live so it would be more.

furomaster_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 furomaster_99

I don't see any problem.The newest XBOX360 are fitted with new 'Jasper' motherboards and the upgraded components are smaller and emit less heat, to make the RRoD problem a thing of the past.Only some of the the old 360 models have RRod the new 360 models have no RRod. The XBOX360 RRoD problem finally fixed.I have my XBOX360 for 2 years and i haven't any problem.If you like the 360 just go and buy one,you have nothing to fear anymore.Panosola
It seems the "fix" is all an opinion. Isn't the Jasper the 3rd or 4th attempt? :?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I don't understand how people can be so happy to buy a game machine that the company pretty much promises you will break. It baffles me, but people act like it's the second coming, anyways. Then again, I don't understand how Miley Cyrus is a billionaire or why Ameica has such a high rate of obesity either.

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RedruM_I

[QUOTE="RedruM_I"][QUOTE="navyguy21"]

navyguy21

lol, dude, i defend it because of cows like you who irrationally bash the console, i also defend the PS3 when lemmings irrationally bash it. Do i get butterflies when i defend them? No, i get angry when i see fanboys like you who seem to get pleasure from trolling, and being a fanboy. I see alot of people like you in real life who are bullies, and as a mentor, i have to deal with it. I dislike people who get pleasure from downing, or attacking others. So forgive me for being impartial :roll:

Wow I didn't know the 360 was a sentient being with feelings. I should have known better, I'm sorry 360 :P What do you expect? That I support a company that rushes a broken product and then expects everyone to go along and just buy it several times? No, I as a consumer have a right to speak what I think of that kind of practice in hopes that the whole industry doesn't become filled with these kind of leaches putting profit before quality.
Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts
A lot of people who you might find complaining of RROD are those who have had the console for ages and have an old model, so its not wonder it breaks. Most new ones hardly ever break if you treat them well and look after them.