I want to get an Xbox 360 but I fear the RRoD.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

Currently I have a ps3 but a lot of the games on xbox 360 do actually seem better, so i might pick one up but i'm worried i'll get the RROD, is that still a big issue or are the getting less frequent? I'd like to get the model thats lower than 400 but includes a HDD. I'll be selling my wii to finance the 360, I have nothing against the wii but I just don't use it anymore even with Galaxy out and Brawl coming soon, the 360 has a lot of games i'd like to get. So should I wait until the newer models come out or is it safe to go ahead and get one now?

Thanks in advance.

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

Then dont get one

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
Haven't heard much on RROD over the past 2 months so..
GXR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 GXR
Member since 2003 • 1476 Posts

Then dont get one

Eltroz

Or play with cards.. they wont RRoD...

Douja555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Douja555
Member since 2006 • 651 Posts

The newer models are better built,

plus you get a 3 year warrenty.

Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Prince_Denspion

The newer models are better built,

plus you get a 3 year warrenty.

Douja555

Thats good, I noticed I hadn't been hearing so much about the RRoD so much. Maybe i'll add this to my collection and have a PS360 bundle.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
I've had an Elite since launch, not one problem.
Bonez_Mahoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bonez_Mahoney
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts
I'm one of the lucky ones...(hmm, better find some wood) I have a launch 360 and i've never even had a disc read error. My buddies on his 3rd or 4th and got one from the 'second batch' originally. Although it's an annoyance, MS stepped up and gave a 3yr warranty for the Red Rings, so that might give you a little piece of mind. I've not heard of breakdowns recently, seems its gotten less frequent as time goes on, and so it damn well should. Either way, choice will be yours, and you only live once, so while it's ok to second guess a decision, don't waste time on a third, good luck with w/e you decide :)
Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts
If you really want one then don't worry about it. It's not as bad as people say it is.
LOKI-RA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LOKI-RA
Member since 2007 • 269 Posts
AS YOU SHOULD. 360'S ARE VERY UNRELIABLE.
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Prince_Denspion
Cool sounds good, think i'll get me one after the holidays.
ss_49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ss_49
Member since 2007 • 1337 Posts

I've had my Premium for over a year.

I use it for 2-4 hours a day gaming and usually fall asleep watching a dvd so it's on for about 8 hours most nights.

No problems :) *knocks on wood*

Also, the 33% failure rate is a MYTH. It was started because ONE employee at an EBGames claimed in an interview that about 1 out of 3 360's gets returned to the store with RROD. There has never been, and never will be a source other than that one employee's word to prove a 33% fail rate.

kazrium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 kazrium
Member since 2006 • 1632 Posts
You get a pretty long warrenty anymore w/ the 360's, I wouldn't be too concerned with it. I had my first 360 break, I have had my second one for over a year now with no problems and I use it almost every day. If you really want one, I wouldn't let worries over RRoD stop you.
steventhebol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 steventhebol
Member since 2003 • 360 Posts

Personally, I would wait until the jasper motherboard comes out next year to get a xbox360. Its supposed to have a smaller gpu and cpu chip installed in it so that the chances of the 360 breaking down are very slim. You could also actually wait until this december for the rest of the falcon motherboard xbox360s to come out into the market, which are also said to reduce the chances of the xbox360 of breaking down.

Right now, I'm just satisfied with having a wii, so I can wait until next year for a 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-59603ff9b9423
deactivated-59603ff9b9423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59603ff9b9423
Member since 2007 • 2413 Posts

I use it for 2-4 hours a day gaming and usually fall asleep watching a dvd so it's on for about 8 hours most nights.

Also, the 33% failure rate is a MYTH. It was started because ONE employee at an EBGames claimed in an interview that about 1 out of 3 360's gets returned to the store with RROD. There has never been, and never will be a source other than that one employee's word to prove a 33% fail rate.

ss_49

Oh really? I thought Microsoft were the ones who admitted it.

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

Microsoft made lots of hardware changes and improvements to the console in the last couple of months. RROD is always a possibility, but it is far, far safer to get an Xbox 360 now than ever before. And even if it does happen, you are covered for the next three years.

Frankly, it's well worth the risk considering the strength of the 360's library.

But it's your call.

Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Prince_Denspion
where can I find the elite without the bundle? every I look I gotta buy it with games which make it more expensive.
Norg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Norg
Member since 2002 • 15959 Posts
yeah just get one MAN !!!!!
kevbo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kevbo77
Member since 2003 • 656 Posts
I felt like you do when I bought mine a year ago. I play it almost every day and I've had no problems with it yet.
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Prince_Denspion

yeah just get one MAN !!!!! Norg

*monotone voice* "yes master"

ss_49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ss_49
Member since 2007 • 1337 Posts
[QUOTE="ss_49"]

PS3Compass

No sorry,

This is the article that started it all ---->LINK

Every article claiming 33% failure rate refers to that one source. I think it was originally printed in Gamepro.

Microsoft's officially released failure rate is 3-5%. It seems a bit higher than that I admit, but 33% is ridiculous.

If the actual failure rate was 33%, there would be c|ass-action lawsuits all over the place.

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts
[QUOTE="ss_49"]

PS3Compass

MS admitted 100% of the 360's had a hardware defect. They never admiited what the exact failure rate is though.
alamgir1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 alamgir1942
Member since 2005 • 700 Posts
I've had my Xbox 360 for a little over a year now and theres no problems:)
snakeyes101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 snakeyes101
Member since 2007 • 94 Posts

get a ps3 there about the same price and the ps3 is waaaay bettre

Abigorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 Abigorus
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

I've had an Elite since launch, not one problem.TheSystemLord1

Me too.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

Haven't heard much on RROD over the past 2 months so..Pro_wrestler

thats just because its old news, it still happens. I have one and its fine, though my ps3 is quieter. your smart to think about this before getting one though.

Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Prince_Denspion

snakeyes101

I already have a PS3 and it is great, just need the Xbox 360 for the exclusive games and better ports.

xXHackettXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 xXHackettXx
Member since 2006 • 3560 Posts
I dont think the RRODS a problem, but dont sell your Wii, I dont think you should ever sell a console.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts
Wait til they release the smaller GPUs in 2008.
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Prince_Denspion

Wait til they release the smaller GPUs in 2008.Blue-Sky

I guess i could do that.

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]Wait til they release the smaller GPUs in 2008.Prince_Denspion

I guess i could do that.

Why would you want to though when it's pretty safe to buy one now?

One of the biggest culprits for the RROD was the very weak x-clamp that was used to secure the heatsink on the GPU - it wasn't strong enough. The x-clamp was part of the original design of the 360. When the motherboard warped, the heatsink wasn't making contact with the GPU and that was causing many RROD failures. This is the big design flaw that Microsoft was talking about.

Many people were able to fix their RROD problems by just changing the heatsink, doing away with the x-clamp, and switching to a 4-screw design that secures it much better to the GPU. Of course, it voided their warranties, but it did the trick. Their 360s started working again.

Microsoft has since abandoned the x-clamp and is using a 4-screw setup for the GPU heatsink in all the latest models of the 360. That, combined with a quieter DVD drive and a cooler-running CPU, should really help to make the console far more reliable. And just to be safe, Microsoft also added a secondary heatsink to help distribute even more heat away from the GPU. They have made lots of changes.

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts
3 year warrenty
SkullboyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SkullboyX
Member since 2004 • 6407 Posts

Currently I have a ps3 but a lot of the games on xbox 360 do actually seem better, so i might pick one up but i'm worried i'll get the RROD, is that still a big issue or are the getting less frequent? I'd like to get the model thats lower than 400 but includes a HDD. I'll be selling my wii to finance the 360, I have nothing against the wii but I just don't use it anymore even with Galaxy out and Brawl coming soon, the 360 has a lot of games i'd like to get. So should I wait until the newer models come out or is it safe to go ahead and get one now?

Thanks in advance.

Prince_Denspion
My 360 has been sent in only onces an I have had it since 06. The new one they sent back hasn't had any problems. Just don't use the 3rd party intercoolers because it has been reported that they actually hurt the 360 more than helping it. My first 360 was using an intercooler and it got red rings after a week of using the intercooler. The guy at gamestop said that he doesn't recommend the intercoolers ant that too many people are buying intercoolers thinking that it is gonna keep their 360s from breaking. Also you need to play the 360 on it's side because Microsoft markets the 360 standing up, yet this standing up stance actually blocks air from flowing through the bottom vent which is actually the biggest source of ventilation for the 360. My first 360 was standing up too. Alot of ignorant factors led to my 360's demise. But despite all of this Microsoft replaced it without asking questions. I've been playing my second 360 for a year and have had no problems out of it.
StreetRodJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StreetRodJack
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts

At what? Collecting dust?

snakeyes101
StreetRodJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StreetRodJack
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts
Launch console. Two years and not a single problem.
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
Don't worry about things like that, you'll be covered for 3 years.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
I dont think the RRODS a problem, but dont sell your Wii, I dont think you should ever sell a console.xXHackettXx
I sold mine and I don't regret it in the slightest...I haven't used it in months....
t431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 t431
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts

Lol, I know what you going through... I only had a PS3 at first but thenI got some extra money for good results(Spoiled,I know!).I wanted to get a 360 right then but all my friends told me to wait for the newer models to come out. So to keep myself from buying one I always used to go to the BROKEN 360 THREAD! Lmao, I know, but that thread really frightened me(Shudder). But now I have a PS3 and 360. Just go to the BROKEN 360 THREAD before you make your choice....

Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Prince_Denspion

Lol, I know what you going through... I only had a PS3 at first but thenI got some extra money for good results(Spoiled,I know!).I wanted to get a 360 right then but all my friends told me to wait for the newer models to come out. So to keep myself from buying one I always used to go to the BROKEN 360 THREAD! Lmao, I know, but that thread really frightened me(Shudder). But now I have a PS3 and 360. Just go to the BROKEN 360 THREAD before you make your choice....

t431

Good idea, and yeah I'm spoiled to, I also have a PSP but want a DS, when it comes to gaming there are too many choices and have to spend loads to be able to truly win.

ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts
If you are that concerned buy a Product Replacement Plan from Best Buy. I did when I bought my Elite, so I'm covered for 2 years. If it happens to malfunction, all i would have to do is to bring it in to Best Buy and they hand me a new one.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

You should be concerned about the RROD 360...

http://forums.xbox.com/281/ShowForum.aspx

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Dude, don't listen to anyone here. On either side.

Mine has broken THREE times in LESS THAN A YEAR. I'm on my fourth one and it works fine, aside from making different noises, but they don't make any bad noises they just sound different.

Anyway, don't listen to these people. It's more annoying that you think having to fix the thing, and after the first time it will piss you off. You can't take the other side seriously either because they purposely make the problem sound bigger and say all the games suck because they're bitter.

The thing has AWESOME games. But it will probably break or at least freeze on you occasionally in game, and they're loud as HELL. It also starts to feel a little expensive after awhile for the problems you're getting, and you will feel bad about it if it breaks. Still, go with your gut.

MagnumSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 MagnumSoldier
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts
You should wait longer than the new one, I have reason to believe that MS is coming out with a new entire model in the next years or more.