I Refuse to Believe That The XBOX ONE Weak

• 190 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I can't believe that Microsoft would design an eighth generation console that's too weak to play games at 1080P and that's barely stronger than the XBOX 360. There has to be a logical explanation for its shortcomings, which I think is its complicated architecture, specifically the type of RAM that it uses and how said RAM is divided (i.e. 8GB of DDR3 and 32MB of ES RAM). I think the XBOX ONE's current problems are analogous to the PS3's problems during the beginning of its lifetime and that the XBOX ONE will improve as developers learn how to code for it efficiently.

Having said all of this, I am no XBOX fanboy; I don't own an XBOX ONE, but own a PS4 and a gaming PC. I don't even think that the XBOX ONE will ever match the raw power of the PS4, but I do think that it will improve to the point at which it will be able to render most games at 1080P.

Essentially, I just can't believe that Microsoft, a multibillion dollar corporation which develops software and electronics, could make such a colossal mistake. It's simply impossible.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

The specs alone are far superior to the Xbox 360. I am not really sure what is going on. Granted the PS4 is more powerful, but something is just not adding up. Maybe their drivers for the system are rushed. I am not expecting their titles to look as good as they do on my PS4, but there shouldn't be this large of a gap when the specs are similar.

I guess only time will tell. I think Microsoft has other issues to deal with alongside this one. Like convincing people to buy their console, so far they have not motivated me to get the Xbox One.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

you can believe whatever you want but facts are facts bro.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

Essentially, I just can't believe that Microsoft, a multibillion dollar corporation which develops software and electronics, could make such a colossal mistake.It's simply impossible.

You can't believe a company that decided to bundle a kinect with every console could make such a colossal mistake?

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tyloss
Member since 2012 • 846 Posts

Microsoft really dropped the ball this generation.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts

Sony's obvious intent with PS4 was clearly to make a machine that was more game-centric than Microsoft who clearly intend for Xbone to be more multimedia-centric... anyone who possesses even a modicum of sense knows that we'll need to wait more toward the end of this new console generation before rendering any honest judgements about their respective supremecy...

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

two major reasons. 1- the inclusion of kinect royally fuckedup specs/price balance. 2- they thought like Nintendo and their WiiU that their next system will sell no matter what because of popularity. They both got rekd! This is good though. This kind of mistakes won't happen again on any of the big three.

Apacheguns515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Apacheguns515
Member since 2014 • 53 Posts

They went for the total one size fits all living room media center thing. If they would have made an actual pure gaming console then it would have been more like how the 360 was when it first came out in terms of raw power.

They tried something new and it didn't work out too well. Only one to really get away with trying something drastic like sacrificing gaming power for gimmicks was the Wii. Everyone laughed at the Wii in terms of graphical power in comparison to the 360 and PS3. But it sold amazingly well and many people couldn't even believe that gimmick would actually work.

Xbone...well they tried and it's not looking too good. I guess gamers want a gaming console with nice graphics and a controller.

I agree though I have no idea why the hell Microsoft tried to pull that off. Stick with that you're good at and thats making powerful gaming consoles that are as powerful as high end PCs at release. When I first saw alpha screens of the PS4 I just KNEW that if the PS4 looked like that then the new Xbox was going to blow my mind.

I was wrong...never would have thought Sony would beat Microsoft in the hardware department. Shame on you Microsoft, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tyloss
Member since 2012 • 846 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4: lolll

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

two major reasons. 1- the inclusion of kinect royally fuckedup specs/price balance. 2- they thought like Nintendo and their WiiU that their next system will sell no matter what because of popularity. They both got rekd! This is good though. This kind of mistakes won't happen again on any of the big three.

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

wow he does look like a narutard wth o.O

IamAdorable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IamAdorable
Member since 2013 • 407 Posts

I would say it's pretty underwhelming. I like the lineup of games it has going for itself, but hardware-wise it seems a bit on the weak side.
Then again, I feel the same about both consoles.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

LMFAO!

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5952 Posts

how can it not be looking good.

Xbox One is selling well despite its increase in price and bad publicity.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

It's true Ps4 has 32 rendering processors while the X1 only had 16.Yes, PS4 has 50% better GPU, but it also does not have framebuffer limits. Xbone devs have only 32MB of it [ESRAM], which makes working with 1080p a chore.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Reality sucks OP. You just have to #DEALWITHIT

Kinect is the reason Xbone is underpowered. M$ wanted to bundle the camera with the console and still keep things at an affordable price. Obviosuly compromises had to be made when it came to the hardware.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Don't be so sure. If Nintendo doesn't change management they will continue to repeat the same mistakes. The Wii U has followed mistakes from the Gamecube and Wii era. Their executives seem to have no clue.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

I can't believe that MS has made so many mistakes even more than Sony did last gen. First they have more money than Sony and could have used GDDR5 Ram but they didn't. Second did they not care about 1080p by using such a lower powered GPU. They should have used more than 32mb ESRAM but didn't. This doesn't add up. Do they want to drop out of gaming. Do they have a secret pack with Sony by letting them be in first place this gen.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#19 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

#1 Its weaker because they had to include the gimmic known as kinect, which cut into the price tag and hardware they should have included.

#2 Who cares? Its close enough in power to the PS4. Its not as though the PS4 is some sort of uber graphics machine. Both run like 4 year old PC's.

#3 Its all about games. They are getting Titanfall which will be a ton of fun and will sell a lot of Xbox's.

I say this as a PS4 owner and PC owner.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Although the Xbone does have weaker specs than the PS4, another thing that hurts the Xbone on top of the lower specs is the reserved OS Kinect/TV apps functionality. They can lower it but they can never remove it. They needed a more powerful machine so that Kinect/TV apps taxing the OS wouldn't matter in comparisons...but that would have driven the price past $500 assuming they wanted to force bundle Kinect.

It won't matter though because if you like GeoW, Fable, Forza, or Halo...Xbone is where you get a piece of that action. Games are what will draw gamers in or out.

To be honest, they could have made a machine weaker than the Wii U, but they hold Halo, GeoW, and other IPs. Sure, Halo and GeoW have new developers, but if game fans want those IPs, the Xbone is the only place in town.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Well since they decided to waste resources from the machine into the non-gaming crap and the kinect, you better believe the xbone struggles to run games at proper 1080p 60 fps

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

I can't believe that Microsoft would design an eighth generation console that's too weak to play games at 1080P and that's barely stronger than the XBOX 360. There has to be a logical explanation for its shortcomings, which I think is its complicated architecture, specifically the type of RAM that it uses and how said RAM is divided (i.e. 8GB of DDR3 and 32MB of ES RAM). I think the XBOX ONE's current problems are analogous to the PS3's problems during the beginning of its lifetime and that the XBOX ONE will improve as developers learn how to code for it efficiently.

Having said all of this, I am no XBOX fanboy; I don't own an XBOX ONE, but own a PS4 and a gaming PC. I don't even think that the XBOX ONE will ever match the raw power of the PS4, but I do think that it will improve to the point at which it will be able to render most games at 1080P.

Essentially, I just can't believe that Microsoft, a multibillion dollar corporation which develops software and electronics, could make such a colossal mistake. It's simply impossible.

context is key here. Microsoft are stretching themselves waaay to thin to address too many audiences from one single box. Compromises had to be made for its multifunctionality.

And yes the early dev thing is similar to what the PS3 faced post launch except the CELL, while complicated, was actually quite powerful. This isn't the case with the XB1, it has a weaker GPU and a complicated and to such a degree flawed memory set up.

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

Logical explanation for the shortcomings? It's simply not powerful enough. Christ - it's not hard to understand. It will not play out like the PS3 because the Xbox One isn't difficult to code for like the PS3 is. The Xbox One is simply behind because developers are going to pick the strongest console for lead platform and that means the Xbox One will always have to deal with worse textures, lower FPS, and low resolutions. Microsoft took the gamble that they could make a console that combines the PS3+Wii appeal (multimedia + motion gaming) and what they produced was a console that doesn't do anything particularly well.

And quit the hyperbole - it's not barely stronger than the 360. You're smarter than that BluRayHiDef...right?

NobleCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NobleCow
Member since 2014 • 45 Posts

I think what many of my fellow cows don't realize is that Microsoft did an excellent job engineering the Xbox ONE for having mediocre engineers and spending $6+ billion in R&D.

It's just that no one on Microsoft's team was as brilliant as Cerny. The complicated eSRAM setup was the best Microsoft could do and it took billions in R&D for it to be half-functioning. If SONY had anyone else design the internals of the PS4, the PS4 would have been even weaker and trashier than the Xbone.

Cerny has no equal.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

The XBONE has something around a 7790 the PS4 something around a 7870, everything looks as expected.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

LOL

NobleCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NobleCow
Member since 2014 • 45 Posts

@Mcspanky37 said:

Logical explanation for the shortcomings? It's simply not powerful enough. Christ - it's not hard to understand. It will not play out like the PS3 because the Xbox One isn't difficult to code for like the PS3 is. The Xbox One is simply behind because developers are going to pick the strongest console for lead platform and that means the Xbox One will always have to deal with worse textures, lower FPS, and low resolutions. Microsoft took the gamble that they could make a console that combines the PS3+Wii appeal (multimedia + motion gaming) and what they produced was a console that doesn't do anything particularly well.

And quit the hyperbole - it's not barely stronger than the 360. You're smarter than that BluRayHiDef...right?

I don't think so. Have you read the reports about having an army developers for the Xbone version of multiplats? The army of devs wasn't needed because the Xbone was difficult to develop for. The army was there to provide every optimization technique in the book while the PS4 version was left unoptimized. Cows may be celebrating about the superior multiplats, but what they don't realize is that the PS4 version of multiplats were never optimized. The vast majority of the development budget went into development of the Xbone version of multiplats. In short, the Xbone has hit its ceiling while the PS4's full potential hasn't even been tapped.

Also, there is no exotic architecture on either of the next-gen consoles. In laymen terms, the PS3 required learning another programming language while the only thing limiting the Xbone is the small power pool compared to the PS4. Devs are finding it "difficult" to dev their games on the Xbone not because their programs never compiled due to some odd error like the PS3's dev environment, but because the power pool is so small that the Xbone can't even run their games at an FPS higher than 2. Because of this, they had to scale back their projects and they're having trouble finding the right balance.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@Gue1 said:

This. You can believe 2 + 2 is 5 all you want but it's still 4.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

You can choose to refuse that GDDR5 RAM is superior to GDDR3 RAM & having 150% more GPU power is far greater, but you're only fooling yourself.

And you say that the X1 will get better because it's hard to dev for, but that's false. Both consoles have easy PC-like architecture. The problem is the X1 simply has weaker hardware. MS did and would make a console weaker than Sony's. It's called the Xbox One.

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

@noblecow said:

@Mcspanky37 said:

I don't think so. Have you read the reports about having an army developers for the Xbone version of multiplats? The army of devs wasn't needed because the Xbone was difficult to develop for. The army was there to provide every optimization technique in the book while the PS4 version was left unoptimized. Cows may be celebrating about the superior multiplats, but what they don't realize is that the PS4 version of multiplats were never optimized. The vast majority of the development budget went into development of the Xbone version of multiplats. In short, the Xbone has hit its ceiling while the PS4's full potential hasn't even been tapped.

Also, there is no exotic architecture on either of the next-gen consoles. In laymen terms, the PS3 required learning another programming language while the only thing limiting the Xbone is the small power pool compared to the PS4. Devs are finding it "difficult" to dev their games on the Xbone not because their programs never compiled due to some odd error like the PS3's dev environment, but because the power pool is so small that the Xbone can't even run their games at an FPS higher than 2. Because of this, they had to scale back their projects and they're having trouble finding the right balance.

You sound pretty confused. Microsoft sent out teams to help developers optimize the games precisely because the XB1 is the weaker platform. Having an extra helping hand from Microsoft doesn't make the XB1 version's the lead platform. They have to take the PS4 version, and scale it down to make it into the XB1 version. You said it yourself - neither console has exotic architecture, therefore there is no significant gains to be found in optimization. Purely because the PS4 is capable of 1080P games - the Xbox One is set up against that standard and obviously it has trouble competing. If the PS4 wasn't more powerful or chosen to be the lead platform, games wouldn't look any better than the XB1 version.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@Gue1 said:

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

@silversix_ said:

my thoughts exactly

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I can't believe that Sony would release an 8th gen console that can't play games at 1080/60fps :(

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts
@glez13 said:

The XBONE has something around a 7790 the PS4 something around a 7870, everything looks as expected.

This. Both consoles are performing exactly how people with a clue about the hardware going into them expected. Weak is a relative term. Compared to the wii u the xbone is strong. Compared to the PS4 it's weak. Compare all of them to an adequate PC and they are all weak. But their performance are right where they should be. Xbone honers should not trip if their games have the same assets but are at a lower resolution. The end result will be close enough that you wouldn't care unless you want to win forum arguments.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@BluRayHiDef: and I agree. As some here have provided, some devs agree. It will get better over time. But this is SW, and right now, is ALL anyone looks at. So its crap, a flop, shit. 3/12 months out say everything, doesn't it? X1 will never do 1080p, 60fps except for some games; ps4 will only put out 2D games, in that logic. I love SW.......

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

How can you not? It's all showing. Game after game coming out can't do 1080.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@juarbles said:

Microsoft knows that xboners are dumb so they take advantage of them like that.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@juarbles said:

did greenberg really say that?

wow. just give every game an internal rendering resolution of 540p then make each 1x1 pixel become 2x2 and claim the tv gets a 1080P output.

since 2013's e3 i have not seen microsoft handle their pr very well at all. reminds me of the way steve irwin handles sting rays.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@CrownKingArthur said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@juarbles said:

wow. just give every game an internal rendering resolution of 540p then make each 1x1 pixel become 2x2 and claim the tv gets a 1080P output.

since 2013's e3 i have not seen microsoft handle their pr very well at all. reminds me of the way steve irwin handles sting rays.

Yeah he did, that's the recipe for success when your console can barely run titanfall in hd.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4197 Posts

It's not weak, it's just not as powerful as ps4.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12320 Posts

Pretty sure 1080p will become the standard across the board as the gen goes forward but the PS4 will always have the advantage.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

Yeah he did, that's the recipe for success when your console can barely run titanfall in hd.

It's sad. Titanfall has terrible Framerate in the beta. IDK if it will be better, maybe a patch after launch. Right now, it's pretty sad.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ReadingRainbow4

@me3x12 said:

@millerlight89 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

It's sad. Titanfall has terrible Framerate in the beta. IDK if it will be better, maybe a patch after launch. Right now, it's pretty sad.

You never played the Beta or have a shit connection because Titanfall runs buttery smooth lighting fast on MS Azure cloud. Say what you want about the X1 but MS Azure is super powerful.

What the hell kind of butter do you use? There's been multiple accounts of rather significant framerate dips.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

Windows Vista says Hi! :P ..shit happens..just look at Nintendo..sell crap loads of Wii...with Wii U...not so much.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@juarbles said:

tim dog frequented here in the past,

his handle here is xbounity,

but he hasn't been here for a while,

I think he either made a new name,

banned,

or changed his tune because he kept getting owned

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ReadingRainbow4

@killatwill15 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@juarbles said:

tim dog frequented here in the past,

his handle here is xbounity,

but he hasn't been here for a while,

I think he either made a new name,

banned,

or changed his tune because he kept getting owned

I'll never forget the time TimDog took his rant about me from GS to twitter, lol.

fun times.