I hope Fallout New Vegas have the VATS system...

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts

If Fallout New Vegas doesn't have the VATS system, then this is going to be a turn off for me. I really like the VATS system in Fallout 3 and it would be disappointing if New Vegas didn't have it. I herd that this game is being made by Obsidian, I don't know who Obsidian is or know what games they havedeveloped but I hope they don't change Fallout too much. I like the gameplay of Fallout 3 and I'm hoping that they bring it to New Vegas.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I highly doubt they'd not use it, considering the time frame for the game, along with what they did with KOTOR. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Soulja_West

I highly doubt they'd not use it, considering the time frame for the game, along with what they did with KOTOR. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Legendaryscmt

That makes perfect sense. If it not broke, don't fix it and Fallout 3 was my GOTY last year and most played game of 2008. I put countless of hours into Fallout 3 and thats something I don't normally do for a single player game.

ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 ShaneBeck
Member since 2005 • 10511 Posts

I don't know people are making all these blind speculations when we knoww virtually nothing about the game except for its title and developer.

They're going to do whatever they think is best. And considering the first Fallouts' VATS system is very close to 3's, New Vegas will probably follow suit. Maybe it will be improved in some way. Who really cares? Sit tight and find out when they reveal the game.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Soulja_West

I don't know people are making all these blind speculations when we knoww virtually nothing about the game except for its title and developer.

They're going to do whatever they think is best. And considering the first Fallouts' VATS system is very close to 3's, New Vegas will probably follow suit. Maybe it will be improved in some way. Who really cares? Sit tight and find out when they reveal the game.

ShaneBeck

Who cares? I care. I love the VATS system in Fallout 3. I hope they just tweak it just a little bit but not change it completey.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
Seeing the engine is same and all and with so less time, I think the Combat is going to be same. I would have personally preferred something more sophisticated than the mindless bam bam bam present in Fallout 3
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I hope they ditch VATS. It would create nothing short of problems in an MMO. Think about the time when the person is zoomed in, the battle would have to pause for others or it just comes down to who can click the Head part the fastest. I would personally like a game more like Fallout 1 and 2 but I am probably in the minority here. For those interested in the gameplay of it though look at their main website http://www.obsidianent.com/poll/poll-combatsystem-20090219.html and the poll. Guess what is winning ;).

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

I hope they ditch VATS. It would create nothing short of problems in an MMO. Think about the time when the person is zoomed in, the battle would have to pause for others or it just comes down to who can click the Head part the fastest. I would personally like a game more like Fallout 1 and 2 but I am probably in the minority here. For those interested in the gameplay of it though look at their main website http://www.obsidianent.com/poll/poll-combatsystem-20090219.html and the poll. Guess what is winning ;).

Whiteblade999
Fallout Las Vegas is not an MMO, it's more a spinoff.
Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Soulja_West

Whiteblade999
I didn't know Fallout New Vegas was gonig to be an MMO. I thought it was going to be an Action RPG.
ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShaneBeck

Whiteblade999

I don't know where you're getting your information from thatNew Vegas is going to be an MMO :?

But that's great news about the poll! It will be absolute ownage if isometirc-turnbased wins. Hilarity will ensue with the "new" fallout fanboys.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Soulja_West

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

ShaneBeck

I don't know where you're getting your information from thatNew Vegas is going to be an MMO :?

But that's great news about the poll! It will be absolute ownage if isometirc-turnbased wins. Hilarity will ensue with the "new" fallout fanboys.

Too bad thats not going to happrn.

ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ShaneBeck

Soulja_West

The poll says otherwise...

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Soulja_West

[QUOTE="Soulja_West"]

ShaneBeck

The poll says otherwise...

We can make a bet if you're so confident.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
I really hope they go back to what they had planned for Van Buren. I'm tired of the absurdly easy gameplay with vats.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

The main designer is the same guy that was the main designer for the old F3, before it was cancelled.

This is NOT a short timeframe. They have more than 18 months to work on it. The assets, which took Bethesda more than a year to make, are already there.

Obsidian is used to working very fast anyway - KOTOR 2 was completed in 9 months, and they rewrote the original KOTOR engine for it during these months...

Since it's a spin-off, I do hope they'll make it isometric. The engine is not Bethesda's engine, it's a middleware that is genre and platform agnostic - every modern Sid Meier game is using it, for example.

VATS sucks and it's not similar in any way to turn-based combat.

ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ShaneBeck

We can make a bet if you're so confident.

Soulja_West

Betting over a game called New Vegas, how appropriate.

I wouldn't say I'm confident, but I atleast have some proof in the form of a poll that it may happen. What do you have that proves your point?

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Soulja_West

[QUOTE="Soulja_West"]We can make a bet if you're so confident.

ShaneBeck

Betting over a game called New Vegas, how appropriate.

I wouldn't sayI'mconfident,but I atleast have someproof in the form of a poll that it may happen. What do you have that proves your point?

If you don't want to bet then we have nothing esle to talk about.

ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ShaneBeck

Soulja_West

Sorry, I'm not betting over the combat of a game that's in developement, when they aren't even sure of the P.O.V. they are using. Glad I could have this in-depth, sophisticated discussion with you :?

I really hope they go back to what they had planned for Van Buren. I'm tired of the absurdly easy gameplay with vats.Vandalvideo

Thank you, couldn't agree more.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Soulja_West

[QUOTE="Soulja_West"]

ShaneBeck

Sorry, I'm not betting over the combat of a game that's in developement, when they aren't even sure of the P.O.V. they are using. Glad I could have this in-depth, sophisticated discussion with you :?

I really hope they go back to what they had planned for Van Buren. I'm tired of the absurdly easy gameplay with vats.Vandalvideo

Thank you, couldn't agree more.

okay...

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#21 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Whiteblade999
Hate to break your bubble, but Fallout 1 and 2 both have a VATS system where you can aim at a limb.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Baranga

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

hiphops_savior

Hate to break your bubble, but Fallout 1 and 2 both have a VATS system where you can aim at a limb.

No, they don't. They have a turn-based combat system, which is not the same thing as pausing the game.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

Yeah or something better. i hope they can add more challenge.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

I wouldn't mind if New Vegas is an isometric game that throws back to FO 1 and 2, but god...if they go that route, I hope they don't bring back the clunky...click and walk...click and walk. I don't mind a slow pace, but that really hinders my enjoyment of the first two games.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

People know nothing about this game yet I know one guy calliin it an expasnion pack instead of a new game.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TreyoftheDead

People know nothing about this game yet I know one guy calliin it an expasnion pack instead of a new game.

Mercenary848

Yeah.

Since Obsidian is doing it all the old Fallout fans want it to go one way, while those that love Fallout 3 want it to be an improved follow-up. These two very different cases of hope are going to give birth to a lot of speculation until we actually learn something about the game.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Soulja_West
[QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

[QUOTE="Mercenary848"]

Yeah.

Since Obsidian is doing it all the old Fallout fans want it to go one way, while those that love Fallout 3 want it to be an improved follow-up. These two very different cases of hope are going to give birth to a lot of speculation until we actually learn something about the game.

I really believe that they are going to keep the same gameplay that was in Fallout 3 on to Fallout New Vegas. Why fix something that isn't broken and Fallout 3 won numerous awards and gained new fans like me that was never interested in Fallout.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TreyoftheDead

[QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

[QUOTE="Mercenary848"]

Soulja_West

Yeah.

I really believe that they are going to keep the same gameplay that was in Fallout 3 on to Fallout New Vegas. Why fix something that isn't broken and Fallout 3 won numerous awards and gained new fans like me that was never interested in Fallout.

I believe that too.

In fact, I believe Giant Bomb reported that Bethesda said it's going to be the same type of game as Fallout 3. I think the most old school Fallout fans can hope for is Obsidian injecting more of the ol' Fallout atmosphere and quality dialog into Fallout New Vegas...which would be interesting. Fallout 3 had really good dialog for the most part, but it didn't top the high bar set by the originals...which are hilarious.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

ShaneBeck

Not really. The original two game required tactics. VATS is really just an unfair advantage.

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts
they need to nerf the vats system some... you take 90% less damage in while in vats turning it into an exploit when you are low on health and still have plenty of enemies to fight. that and i hope they have an option to turn off the slow mo (so it can play out in real time) just so it dosent get boring watching your character unload a whole clip into a wall...
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
I doubt they'll change the gameplay much if at all, VATS could use some work tho, it felt a bit overpowered to me. Obsidian is a good dev, they made Kotor2 and NWN2, both in many ways superior to their predecessors while staying true to the originals, so I wouldn't worry too much. I'm expecting a similar experience to FO3 with more fleshed out story, characters, dialogue and more opportunities to customize your character.
Gta3-fan334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Gta3-fan334
Member since 2004 • 1499 Posts

As long as its not turnbased, I don't care.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
The one problem I had with Obsidian is that they never seem to optimized their games well. Neverwinter Nights 2 is a really good RPG, but the bugs are just ridiculous and often times ruin the game for me.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

[QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

[QUOTE="Mercenary848"]

Soulja_West

Yeah.

So did Oblivion and just look what happened to that.

FloWeN-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FloWeN-UK
Member since 2004 • 693 Posts

I hope they ditch VATS and the FPS view and make a real RPG just like Fallout 1 & 2.

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

I dont have a problem with the FPP,or first person combat persay,however Obsidian needs to not make the game soo dumbed down..

tweak the Vats and combat mechanics so stats actually matter.for example, if you have little points in small guns,you aint hitting ****.none of this catering to the mainstream. deeper dialogue and gameplay with actual choice and consequences.none of this "give radiated bum more water to redeem yourself"crap,actual consequences,that you have to live with,if you don't like how something plays out,tough .load up a previous save.

but this is wishful thinking on my part...who knows? I guess i'll find out more down the road.Now i'll wait for EK andy's reply to tell me how wrong i am,as well as try and force me to say "Fallout3 is da bestest RPG eVA!",..and that "Bethesda are gods" :roll:

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Soulja_West

As long as its not turnbased, I don't care.

Gta3-fan334
Oh and that to. I don't like turn based games.
redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts

I dont have a problem with the FPP,or first person combat persay,however Obsidian needs to not make the game soo dumbed down..

tweak the Vats and combat mechanics so stats actually matter.for example, if you have little points in small guns,you aint hitting ****.none of this catering to the mainstream. deeper dialogue and gameplay with actual choice and consequences.none of this "give radiated bum more water to redeem yourself"crap,actual consequences,that you have to live with,if you don't like how something plays out,tough .load up a previous save.

but this is wishful thinking on my part...who knows? I guess i'll find out more down the road.Now i'll wait for EK andy's reply to tell me how wrong i am,as well as try and force me to say "Fallout3 is da bestest RPG eVA!",..and that "Bethesda are gods" :roll:

Kandlegoat
yes imo the lower your small guns skill the larger the crosshair spread should be and if you have almost no points in small guns the gun should fire almost uncontrollably, and in vats your character should look as though he has no skill in firing small guns and miss most of his shots
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

Kandlegoat

This is the best post I've read this morning.

Fallout 3's roleplaying was underdeveloped in almost every aspect.

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kandlegoat

[QUOTE="Kandlegoat"]

aliblabla2007

This is the best post I've read this morning.

Fallout 3's roleplaying was underdeveloped in almost every aspect.

pretty much,i don't know what beth's deal is with treating everyone like they're 10 yrs old,I can understand appealing to the mainstream,however they should Challenge them,not Cater to them.,

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kandlegoat

[QUOTE="Kandlegoat"]

redbaron3

yes imo the lower your small guns skill the larger the crosshair spread should be and if you have almost no points in small guns the gun should fire almost uncontrollably, and in vats your character should look as though he has no skill in firing small guns and miss most of his shots

Exactly,You have crap Gun skill, (small,big,or energy)then you shoot like crap.

and I also like to add that Obsidian needs to do away with this lameass bobblehead BS,as well as stupid perks like that change your S.P.E.C.I.A.L cheating crap.whatever you put into your SPECIAL at the start,you're stuck with,don't like it?...then make another character....not rocket science...

MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#42 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts

I think it's going to be Fallout 3 in Vegas. I'd be surprised if they made any major differences to the system.

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kandlegoat

I think it's going to be Fallout 3 in Vegas. I'd be surprised if they made any major differences to the system.

MrDziekuje

Nah,I think there will be some changes.I really think this is Beth's way to try and appeal to the older fans. I mean if what you say is the case and they're just gonna make a Fallout 3 in a different setting,why bother having a spinoff done by another dev at all?..they could just sit on the IP until Elder Scrolls V is done,then start fallout 4 and have it in Vegas.

either of us could be right though...we'll see when they make more announcements.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Soulja_West
[QUOTE="Kandlegoat"]

[QUOTE="MrDziekuje"]

Nah,I think there will be some changes.I really think this is Beth's way to try and appeal to the older fans. I mean if what you say is the case and they're just gonna make a Fallout 3 in a different setting,why bother having a spinoff done by another dev at all?..they could just sit on the IP until Elder Scrolls V is done,then start fallout 4 and have it in Vegas.

either of us could be right though...we'll see when they make more announcements.

Changing the gameplay might make beth loose some fans including me.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
that would be outstanding. ListenUp podcast over at 1up talked about it for the last 30 mins or so of the show this past Friday. Of course, the "new" Fallout 3 fans want more of a damn shooter then RPG, sadly enough. I'd love to get an actual Fallout 1 and 2 sequel.
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#46 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

The VATS system was pretty cool in Fallout 3. Without it, it wouldn't have been the same.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Baranga

[QUOTE="Kandlegoat"]

[QUOTE="MrDziekuje"]

Soulja_West

You won't resist the hype machine.

Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
Good god please no VATS, it makes the game painfully easy. I think I completely nearly every quest in the game by only aiming for the head or occasionally the chest.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19601 Posts

Oh and that to. I don't like turn based games.Soulja_West

Changing the gameplay might make beth loose some fans including me.Soulja_West

Changing the gameplay back to turn-based might bring back fans of the first two games, who hated Fallout 3's VATS lame-ness.
I mean, Fallout New Vegas is clearly aimed at the fans of the original games, so it would make sense if its gameplay is more like theirs.

The one problem I had with Obsidian is that they never seem to optimized their games well. Neverwinter Nights 2 is a really good RPG, but the bugs are just ridiculous and often times ruin the game for me.hiphops_savior

Fallout 3 was also a buggy mess, initially. I don't think Obsidian will be any worse.

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kandlegoat

[QUOTE="Kandlegoat"]

[QUOTE="MrDziekuje"]

Soulja_West

this is a spinoff,not Fallout 4,so you could always just wait for Fallout 4.besides, I know this is hard to believe,but fallout series did have a large cult following long before the bethsoft kiddies hijacked it..so this game is more or less gonna probably be more for the old fans. Relax, you're still gonna have your Lvl scaling ,Bobblehead collecting,Explosion Fest in Fallout 4,so don't worry ;)

but yeah screw the old fans completely,and only cater to you right? :|

oh btw,I noticed how you sometimes like to just type "Fallout 3 got AAA acrosss the boards",whenever you lack anything to say..but guess what?..I play and judge games on my own personal experience regardless of popularity,I'm not some sheep that blindly follows whatever is big. ;)