I got an 80 Core processor!

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Guess_With_ReX
Member since 2007 • 1191 Posts

What can you co nsole gamers say now? I am going to play Crysis on 80 cores!

I feel sorry for you console gamers!

but really, 80 cores O_o thats just awesome, but what does that actually mean?

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12765/Intel-Unveils-80-Core-Programmable-Processor/

O_Lineman17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 O_Lineman17
Member since 2005 • 1128 Posts
It simply means:

That is freakin amazing!!!!! wooowww that's awesome
turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
Yeah...like you have it . BUt can you imagine the next gen 6 years from now with those kinds of processors !!!Heck even half of that would blow me away.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
It would suck for gaming, since as of now, very few games are able to take advantage of dual-core. This is mostly gonna be used (if it is) for servers.
-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts
It simply means:

O_Lineman17
lol when did I said that? :) ur sig xD.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
    "Although has no plans to bring this exact chip to market, it believes a similar design could be available on the market five years from now."
    ZOMG! By the next console cycle, they could be using this chip before PC users can!
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Guess_With_ReX
Dude, relaly i have no idea what processors do, but I knw that if the have 4 cores now , and games like crysis is out, imagine 80 O_O
hellzhitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hellzhitman
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts
[QUOTE="O_Lineman17"]It simply means:

-KinGz-
lol when did I said that? :) ur sig xD.

LOL, I remember that episode :lol:
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]Dude, relaly i have no idea what processors do, but I knw that if the have 4 cores now , and games like crysis is out, imagine 80 O_O

Really, this means nothing to most people for the next 5 years, at least. Its great future-vision, but kinda worthless right now.
Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
If you read about the processor, you'll learn that it's strikingly similar to the Cell processor. They share a lot of characteristics. When I say that Intel is moving to a similar architecture in about 5 years, that's what I'm talking about.
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#11 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts
"Although has no plans to bring this exact chip to market, it believes a similar design could be available on the market five years from now."
ZOMG! By the next console cycle, they could be using this chip before PC users can!
SpruceCaboose
o_O I don't get it. Consoles always get downgraded CPUs to keep costs down. There's reasons they can't put top-of-the-line chips, you know... ;)
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -GeordiLaForge-
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] "Although has no plans to bring this exact chip to market, it believes a similar design could be available on the market five years from now."
dgsag
o_O I don't get it. Consoles always get downgraded CPUs to keep costs down. There's reasons they can't put top-of-the-line chips, you know... ;)

Actually, the Cell is better for a gaming console than any desktop processor out there.
halfnaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 halfnaked
Member since 2005 • 1450 Posts
teh uber pc
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Guess_With_ReX
[QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] "Although has no plans to bring this exact chip to market, it believes a similar design could be available on the market five years from now."
-GeordiLaForge-

Actually, the Cell is better for a gaming console than any desktop processor out there.

Says who?
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Actually, the Cell is better for a gaming console than any desktop processor out there.-GeordiLaForge-

Hardly. Maybe with years and years of time and millions of dollars, the Cell may be better than current desktop processors....But i'd love to know what games you play that have little or no need for branch prediction.

Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts
[QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] "Although has no plans to bring this exact chip to market, it believes a similar design could be available on the market five years from now."
-GeordiLaForge-
o_O I don't get it. Consoles always get downgraded CPUs to keep costs down. There's reasons they can't put top-of-the-line chips, you know...)/QUOTE] Actually, the Cell is better for a gaming console than any desktop processor out there.

Lol...no.  The Cell is actually horribly designed for a game console, its main goal is as a HD de-compresser, which is what it will mostly be used for (All toshiba/sony HDTV's from now on will use it).  It has amazing FP potential, however is complete lack of branch prediction and very specialized nature actually make it very poor for a game processor.  Luckily it is still POSSIBLE to use it for consoles, and with care it can work great.  But a Core 2 Duo would Murder it for game design.
StonedCaO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StonedCaO
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
You guys should check Intel's tech brief on that processor - it's on just about any PC hardware site. It's an amazing @#$%ing piece of hardware.
And anyways, for now, that 80 core proc is for research. Chances are, we won't be seeing technology like this in the mainstream for another half decade.
Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts
Pffffhhh...that's only 79 more cores than my processor :|
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -GeordiLaForge-
[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] "Although has no plans to bring this exact chip to market, it believes a similar design could be available on the market five years from now."
Cali3350
o_O I don't get it. Consoles always get downgraded CPUs to keep costs down. There's reasons they can't put top-of-the-line chips, you know...)

Lol...no. The Cell is actually horribly designed for a game console, its main goal is as a HD de-compresser, which is what it will mostly be used for (All toshiba/sony HDTV's from now on will use it). It has amazing FP potential, however is complete lack of branch prediction and very specialized nature actually make it very poor for a game processor. Luckily it is still POSSIBLE to use it for consoles, and with care it can work great. But a Core 2 Duo would Murder it for game design.

The Core 2 Duo is an out of order cpu due to the multiple software and cpu variations. Computer code cannot be optimized for in line execution in desktop processors because of the big variation of desktop cpu's, which is why the Cell isn't in Desktops. The Cell is actually a better console cpu than the Core 2 Duo because of it's highly specialized SPE's and performance enhancing features, such as an on die memory controller. The biggest of these Cell features though are the space saving features that allowed more processing units to be placed on the same small die size. These include the simple in order cores, SMT (on die multi threading), simplified dynamic logic, and the double benefit of lower transistor count and greater predictability of the SPE's local memory. The SPE's are a beautiful thing. They use in order execution, so they can churn out data at a faster rate thanks to the shorter pipelining that comes along with the lack of hardware logic. And to get around the potentially disastrous latency caused by cache, the SPE's use local memory instead of traditional cache. Traditional cache's hardware logic would be unpredictable, and would cause the SPE's to sit idle while the appropriate data that isn't in the cache is found in main memory. The decision to use local memory instead takes the unpredictability out of the cache equation and also reduces transistor count. But it does have a very small disadvantage, the SPE's will have to waste cycles to manage their own local memory. But the benefits definitely outweigh the disadvantages. A smart programmer with a good compiler can turn the local memory into a huge advantage when implementing in order execution. The cell really is a great processor for a video game console. In fact, Intel is moving to a very similar architecture in about 5 years. I can't wait to see what it can do once the developers learn how to program for it's highly specialized nature.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
-GeordiLaForge-

uhhh....who told you that BS?
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -GeordiLaForge-
[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] "Although has no plans to bring this exact chip to market, it believes a similar design could be available on the market five years from now."
Dreams-Visions

uhhh....who told you that BS?

The Core 2 Duo is an out of order cpu due to the multiple software and cpu variations. Computer code cannot be optimized for in line execution in desktop processors because of the big variation of desktop cpu's, which is why the Cell isn't in Desktops. The Cell is actually a better console cpu than the Core 2 Duo because of it's highly specialized SPE's and performance enhancing features, such as an on die memory controller. The biggest of these Cell features though are the space saving features that allowed more processing units to be placed on the same small die size. These include the simple in order cores, SMT (on die multi threading), simplified dynamic logic, and the double benefit of lower transistor count and greater predictability of the SPE's local memory. The SPE's are a beautiful thing. They use in order execution, so they can churn out data at a faster rate thanks to the shorter pipelining that comes along with the lack of hardware logic. And to get around the potentially disastrous latency caused by cache, the SPE's use local memory instead of traditional cache. Traditional cache's hardware logic would be unpredictable, and would cause the SPE's to sit idle while the appropriate data that isn't in the cache is found in main memory. The decision to use local memory instead takes the unpredictability out of the cache equation and also reduces transistor count. But it does have a very small disadvantage, the SPE's will have to waste cycles to manage their own local memory. But the benefits definitely outweigh the disadvantages. A smart programmer with a good compiler can turn the local memory into a huge advantage when implementing in order execution. The cell really is a great processor for a video game console. In fact, Intel is moving to a very similar architecture in about 5 years. I can't wait to see what it can do once the developers learn how to program for it's highly specialized nature.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
They're 80 SIMPLE processors BTW......
-GeordiLaForge-

Actually the Cell is horrible for gaming code.
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -GeordiLaForge-
[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]They're 80 SIMPLE processors BTW......
-GeordiLaForge-

Actually the Cell is horrible for gaming code.

For normal gaming code, yes. But once the appropriate FP code is written, the Cell will do truly amazing things. Read the post above yours...
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 X360PS3AMD05
The Xbox360 being a million times easier to develop for and having a larger marketshare will make devs not waste their time coding for the Cell.
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -GeordiLaForge-
The Xbox360 being a million times easier to develop for and having a larger marketshare will make devs not waste their time coding for the Cell.X360PS3AMD05
That may be. We'll have to wait and see if the Cell's true power is ever tapped...
StonedCaO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StonedCaO
[QUOTE="Cali3350"][QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] "Although has no plans to bring this exact chip to market, it believes a similar design could be available on the market five years from now."
-GeordiLaForge-
o_O I don't get it. Consoles always get downgraded CPUs to keep costs down. There's reasons they can't put top-of-the-line chips, you know...)

Lol...no. The Cell is actually horribly designed for a game console, its main goal is as a HD de-compresser, which is what it will mostly be used for (All toshiba/sony HDTV's from now on will use it). It has amazing FP potential, however is complete lack of branch prediction and very specialized nature actually make it very poor for a game processor. Luckily it is still POSSIBLE to use it for consoles, and with care it can work great. But a Core 2 Duo would Murder it for game design.

Where'd you copy all that mumbo jumbo from? First off, SPE's are essentially processing cores. Sony just has a fancy-ass name for them. Second of all, on die memory controllers have been implemented in AMD processors. It's not that great, cuz it creates CPU overhead on memory performance. A separate memory controller would be better. And I don't think any AMD has won a benchmark against even the lowliest of the Core 2 Duo family, to put it into perspective how much an "on die memory controller" can do. Furthermore, intel's 80 core thingamabob already surpassed the cell. They clearly are NOT going in the same direction, for they aren't looking to put more processing cores on one layer of a die. Doing that would make it necessary to increase the front-side-bus that the processor uses, and that has its limits. Their new approach to it is to stack die layers on top of one another, creating a mesh network that's already put 10 times as many processing cores on the same die size as the cell. How'd this turn into a discussion for the cell processor anyways?
CuDDKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CuDDKiDD
Member since 2004 • 4727 Posts

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]The Xbox360 being a million times easier to develop for and having a larger marketshare will make devs not waste their time coding for the Cell.-GeordiLaForge-
That may be. We'll have to wait and see if the Cell's true power is ever tapped...

Well according to Phil Harrison, the Cell's full potential will never be reached.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/mtv/phil-harrison-nobody-will-ever-use-100-of-ps3s-capability-222799.php

I know he's just a PR guy but still. Kind of disheatening to see one of their own say that.

-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -GeordiLaForge-
[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="Cali3350"][QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] "Although has no plans to bring this exact chip to market, it believes a similar design could be available on the market five years from now."
StonedCaO

Where'd you copy all that mumbo jumbo from? First off, SPE's are essentially processing cores. Sony just has a fancy-ass name for them. Second of all, on die memory controllers have been implemented in AMD processors. It's not that great, cuz it creates CPU overhead on memory performance. A separate memory controller would be better. And I don't think any AMD has won a benchmark against even the lowliest of the Core 2 Duo family, to put it into perspective how much an "on die memory controller" can do. Furthermore, intel's 80 core thingamabob already surpassed the cell. They clearly are NOT going in the same direction, for they aren't looking to put more processing cores on one layer of a die. Doing that would make it necessary to increase the front-side-bus that the processor uses, and that has its limits. Their new approach to it is to stack die layers on top of one another, creating a mesh network that's already put 10 times as many processing cores on the same die size as the cell. How'd this turn into a discussion for the cell processor anyways?

First off, all of that is straight from my brain. Try and find it someplace else. Thought so... And I know that SPE's and SPU's are the same thing. And I listed the memory controller as the MOST MINOR performance enhancing feature. And the on die memory controller creates absolutely no more overhead to the cpu. It just provides an incredible amount of bandwidth between the memory controller and cpu, nothing more. This actually reduces latency, and improves performance GREATLY. And the fact that an OLD AMD architecture can pretty much keep up with Intel's newest chips speaks volumes in itself. And apparently you haven't heard of the K8L. AMD's response to the Core 2 Duo is going to smoke anything Intel has on the market. And Intel is in fact looking to increase the amount of cores on dies by reducing the logic that is only there because there are so many types of desktop processors out there. They're counting on the size of their userbase to make the technology take off. Will it work? We'll have to wait atleast 5 years to find out.
StonedCaO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StonedCaO
Hey, I ain't putting down AMD - the K8 should give Intel a good run for its money, but I'm not gonna reference something that's not even out yet. As for the variety of desktop processors out there, variety is the spice of life and competition drives the technology forward. In the end, it only benefits the end users.
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12765/Intel-Unveils-80-Core-Programmable-Processor/

Guess_With_ReX

Yeah sure in 2021. :lol:

bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
Now Bill Gates (seeing as he's probably the only one able to afford it) can play Crysis at 40,000 frames per second! TLHBO:D...:(...oh wait
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Guess_With_ReX
Now Bill Gates (seeing as he's probably the only one able to afford it) can play Crysis at 40,000 frames per second! TLHBO:D...:(...oh waitbman784
Im telling BIll is god.
ssbfalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 ssbfalco
Member since 2005 • 1970 Posts
80 Cores... how useless in practical purposes... For Scientific and Math applications however... Really though, programming for 1 or 2 threads is hard enough...
bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
This is pretty superfluous for gaming...unless of course it's a game that involves calculating digits of pi.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 X360PS3AMD05
This was only to show what they can do and they were 80 SIMPLE processors, not the same thing as a Core 2 Duo/Athlon 64 etc.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
old, its yesterdays news
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
Programable, but not practcal from a game development stand point.
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -GeordiLaForge-
This was only to show what they can do and they were 80 SIMPLE processors, not the same thing as a Core 2 Duo/Athlon 64 etc.X360PS3AMD05
Supposedly, the final product will contain "simple" cores as well. Intel is looking into dumping hardware logic in favor of more cores on the same die size. If code is optimized for it, it would be much better. But with the diversity of desktop CPU's out there, I doubt that it will ever take off. It'll likely suffer the same fate as the RISC architecture of the 90's.
Matmoo_Wii60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Matmoo_Wii60
Member since 2006 • 361 Posts

Well, I guess that answers the question: What core will Microsoft be using 6 years from now?

Xbox 360: A modded Intel 80 core processor.

PS4: Cell2

Mii2 :D: A processor that resembles the Xenon

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[spoiler] [QUOTE="StonedCaO"][QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="Cali3350"][QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] "Although has no plans to bring this exact chip to market, it believes a similar design could be available on the market five years from now."
-GeordiLaForge-

[/spoiler] First off, all of that is straight from my brain. Try and find it someplace else. Thought so... And I know that SPE's and SPU's are the same thing. And I listed the memory controller as the MOST MINOR performance enhancing feature. And the on die memory controller creates absolutely no more overhead to the cpu. It just provides an incredible amount of bandwidth between the memory controller and cpu, nothing more. This actually reduces latency, and improves performance GREATLY. And the fact that an OLD AMD architecture can pretty much keep up with Intel's newest chips speaks volumes in itself. And apparently you haven't heard of the K8L. AMD's response to the Core 2 Duo is going to smoke anything Intel has on the market. And Intel is in fact looking to increase the amount of cores on dies by reducing the logic that is only there because there are so many types of desktop processors out there. They're counting on the size of their userbase to make the technology take off. Will it work? We'll have to wait atleast 5 years to find out.

Wow. If you mess around with overclocking A64's it's pretty obvious+well known that there's a huge CPU speed impact on memory bandwidth/performance because of the on-die memory controller. I make it my hobby to take my processors and eke every ounce of performance out of them over hours of benchmarking and reboots to try new settings (DRAM idle clock limit.. 32, 64 or 128? hm!), so by know I know what works on this and what doesn't. And to be fair, this is AMD's K8 architecture failing to really keep up with Intel's 4-year-old architecture despite their lack of an ondie memory chip, as most of this desktop Core 2 Duo stuff is all based on the Pentium M's from early 2003 - albeit with more cache, bigger FSB, and dual-core tacked on in the last few months. I still don't know why they sat on bringing that over to desktops for so long, as everybody knew they would kill everything whenever Intel bothered to make it happen. As far as the 80 core thing, it seems like Intel's doing it more or less as a test and 'because they can.' One thing I noticed about the tests with that chip is that a) it would be able to run windows x86-type stuff, and b) as tested, it required multiple power supplies.
trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts

Guess_With_ReX
Uhm... 80 cores and only 1 teraflop? Can't the Cell do that too?
s14joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 s14joe
Member since 2003 • 1120 Posts
This thread fails to keep me awake or interested. This thread just fails. Thank you and try again.:wink:
DarkHero1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkHero1
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

Guess_With_ReX

Firstly, the 80 core processor is not being released by Intel and secondly I highly doubt that you would be able to afford the 80 core processor if it were to be released this year.
SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SuperVegeta518
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

It only costs $200 right!? :lol: 

That's what hermits would say if thats what they needed to play Crisis on high.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

trasherhead

every processor made in that general vein can, eventually. you just stick on more cores/spes/whatever until it gets it done.
Viviath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Viviath
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
why do people feel the need to brag? :?
hamumu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 hamumu
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts
No, it wouldn't even work on today's operating systems. It's basically just very small, and fairly slow cores. There is no (as far as I understand) "main" core like the cell. It's just 80 cores in one, and each does their own calculations. Each of the core's speed isn't very high. And programs would need to be designed specifically for it, or else you would actually get less performance then a cheap $100 dual core today.

While it's a great idea and the concept worked, its unlikely this will show up to consumers for at least 6 years.
Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts
-GeordiLaForge-

:lol: sure thing buddy.....:|...............:lol:
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
It was just an experiment, the 80 core processor will never come to the market. (If the quad core was $1,500 on relase, this would be about $30,000!) They were just using it as an experiment for future technology.
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
[QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

trasherhead

The most cores a processor has out now is 4, this has 80. And a teraflop? That can do trillions of calculations per second. You could probably buy one of these and never need a graphics card or sound card again. And no, Cell can't do that.