I don't understand how people can say XBL is more lag-free than PSN or Wii

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CammieIsWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CammieIsWii
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

The vast majority of games on Xbox live are Peer-to-peer connection games. As far as I know, Xbox 360 doesn't really have any games that use dedicated servers hostedby Microsoft.The only exception I can think of is NHL10 EASHL games, which are hosted on dedicated servers run by EA Sports. Lag online for peer to peer connection games has nothing to do with Xbox Live, but is dependant on the internet connection of whoever is hosting the game.

So unless you are comparing dedicated servers, you really can't say XBL is more lag-free.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

People say XBL is more lag-free than PSN (also: people actually talk about the Wii's online muliplayer?)?

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
For PSN, I can't comment. For Wii, have you played Brawl? I'd be hard pressed to find a game on XBL that lags as much as Brawl :|
johnsonmrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 johnsonmrom
Member since 2010 • 31 Posts
Microsoft cant have dedicated servers because 600,000 people play halo 3, a three year old game EVERY SINGLE DAY. Its not like Killzone 2 where 4,000 people play it or uncharted 2 with like 30,000. the 360 multiplayer games are actually fun and have a **** load of players on all day. Plus even halo 2 has more players on than Killzone 2
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#5 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
It is almost entirely dependent on circumstance, not the system. There is some central connectivity, but the vast majority of the lag is simply due to who you're playing with.
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

For PSN, I can't comment. For Wii, have you played Brawl? I'd be hard pressed to find a game on XBL that lags as much as Brawl :|Skittles_McGee
dont worry,when he said "and wii" it was just a joke to tease Sheep,no need to worry ;)

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
XBL is equal to PSN in lag from my experience which is not much at all as my connection is good.
CammieIsWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CammieIsWii

The Wii Online system is the best. It's the only system where you know you aren't playing with criminals or degenerates who you shouldn't be associating with

Samox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Samox
Member since 2004 • 890 Posts

It is, sorry.

1zenron1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 1zenron1
Member since 2010 • 672 Posts
I have both. There really isn't any difference...
Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts
You do know that alot of PS3 games are p2p as well!
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

I experience no lag on PSN or XBL, but I do notice a major difference in DL'n content. its much faster on XBL.

CammieIsWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CammieIsWii

It is, sorry.

Samox

How can you say that when you aren't playing on XBL? XBL doesn't have dedicated servers so you can't really say it is lag free. The only claim you can make is that XBL Users have better internet connections than PSN users

CammieIsWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CammieIsWii

You do know that alot of PS3 games are p2p as well! Duckyindiana

Alot are, but not all. Mostly 3rd party games are P2P, with the exception of NHL10.

But many first party games are hosted on dedicated servers.

Brickz187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Brickz187
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

Both XBL and PSN are exactly the same. Everday I talk to 360 fanboys who go out their way to try and talk crap about about PSN like XBL is so much better, but it's really not. The Wii on the other hand is a different story.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Thats just a "fact" lemmings thought up to justify the 50$ price tag...

p2p is totaly reliant on who your playing with.

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

some of the worst lag I have ever experienced was on XBL. but, that's gonna happen on a peer to peer network. dedi's are so FTW.

shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
In terms of games, the 360 really only gets the slight head-nod in the lag-free department if your connection is good. Where the real difference lies is downloads. Download the same piece of DLC for 360 and PS3 and it will be done 50% faster on the 360. Or watch a HD netflix movie, the ps3 has been known to stop and buffer during the movie where the 360 doesnst
ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10647 Posts

Microsoft cant have dedicated servers because 600,000 people play halo 3, a three year old game EVERY SINGLE DAY. Its not like Killzone 2 where 4,000 people play it or uncharted 2 with like 30,000. the 360 multiplayer games are actually fun and have a **** load of players on all day. Plus even halo 2 has more players on than Killzone 2johnsonmrom
actually, Halo 3 and MW2 are the only 360 games with a massive amount of people online at one time, in which MW2 have a massive amount of people on the ps3 as well, just not as many. halo 3 isn't really technically demanding either when talking about the game itself. All you did was just throw numbers around

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
[QUOTE="johnsonmrom"]Microsoft cant have dedicated servers because 600,000 people play halo 3, a three year old game EVERY SINGLE DAY. Its not like Killzone 2 where 4,000 people play it or uncharted 2 with like 30,000. the 360 multiplayer games are actually fun and have a **** load of players on all day. Plus even halo 2 has more players on than Killzone 2

Erm, dedicated servers are payed for by the people playing... not the developer, a lame reason at best. Halo 3 fun? I lol'd.... to alot of people maybe, for me Id rather lick paint... not that I have... but still.
ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ermacness

The Wii Online system is the best. It's the only system where you know you aren't playing with criminals or degenerates who you shouldn't be associating with

CammieIsWii

after playing SSBB, i have to HIGHLY disagree. I rather play with the "criminals" and "degenerates" than to play online in SSBB. Man, that was one of my biggest disappointments this gen:cry:

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
Games like Mario Kart Wii play at minimum or no lag. But games like COD4, Mw2 and Gears 2 lag like hell.
ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ermacness

In terms of games, the 360 really only gets the slight head-nod in the lag-free department if your connection is good. Where the real difference lies is downloads. Download the same piece of DLC for 360 and PS3 and it will be done 50% faster on the 360. Or watch a HD netflix movie, the ps3 has been known to stop and buffer during the movie where the 360 doesnstshadow8585
Multiplats: The 360 gets the nod. Exclusives: The ps3 gets the noticable nod

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LastRambo341
[QUOTE="ermacness"]

[QUOTE="CammieIsWii"]

after playing SSBB, i have to HIGHLY disagree. I rather play with the "criminals" and "degenerates" than to play online in SSBB. Man, that was one of my biggest disappointments this gen:cry:

Don't base off the Wii's online system from a game or 2
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Ps3 cant be more lag free then xbox live so by default xbox live is more lag free. You also have to count in all those people who use wireless and lag of the games.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ermacness

Games like Mario Kart Wii play at minimum or no lag. But games like COD4, Mw2 and Gears 2 lag like hell.LastRambo341
but SSBB doesn't. Actually, SSBB was one of the worst, if not the worst, games i played online that lagged. It gets so laggy that there's like a 3 sec delay on the button imput

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LastRambo341

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"]Games like Mario Kart Wii play at minimum or no lag. But games like COD4, Mw2 and Gears 2 lag like hell.ermacness

but SSBB doesn't. Actually, SSBB was one of the worst, if not the worst, games i played online that lagged. It gets so laggy that there's like a 3 sec delay on the button imput

Yes, Brawl's online isn't good except with friends and each one has a great connection but other than that.....I don't play Brawl online >.> But again, you can't base an online system from a game or two
ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ermacness

[QUOTE="ermacness"]

[QUOTE="CammieIsWii"]

LastRambo341

if it was suppose to be one of your heavily hyped games on the system to have a feature that everyone and their mother was waiting for, and the ball dropped that hard, you can

Lord_Syll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Lord_Syll
Member since 2007 • 167 Posts

from my experience on both networks, the lagging and wutnot is about the same but Xbox Live is just funner, its way more interactive with online community, even the PS3 has HOME, the loading time keeps me away from it. its much easier, faster and convinient to keep in contact with Friends on Live.

PS3 interface in general has a much sleeker modern cool clean look than Xbox 360's but that also makes it more inclosed in the way u interact which is one of the reason y Xbox's Online Community is better (In My Opinion Ofcourse)

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ermacness

[QUOTE="ermacness"]

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"]Games like Mario Kart Wii play at minimum or no lag. But games like COD4, Mw2 and Gears 2 lag like hell.LastRambo341

Yes, Brawl's online isn't good except with friends and each one has a great connection but other than that.....I don't play Brawl online >.> But again, you can't base an online system from a game or two

the only 2 games i played that had very little lag online on the wii was Tasonoko vs Capcom and Mario Kart Wii. I really despise the whole interface for the wii, which is why i really don't try to buy online games for it, unless it's a series from ninty and ninty only that i really love

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LastRambo341
[QUOTE="ermacness"]

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="ermacness"]after playing SSBB, i have to HIGHLY disagree. I rather play with the "criminals" and "degenerates" than to play online in SSBB. Man, that was one of my biggest disappointments this gen:cry:

if it was suppose to be one of your heavily hyped games on the system to have a feature that everyone and their mother was waiting for, and the ball dropped that hard, you can

SSBB was hyped for it's OFFLINE multiplayer. Yet you ignore great online games like MOH H2, WaW, MW Reflex, Mario Strikers, MArio KArt, Tatsunoko vs Capcom etc. Just because one thing is something, doesn't mean that the others will be the same. Example, when you see pictures of Africa, you see black people. Does that mean that there are no white people in Africa? NO! There are plenty of white people, especially in South Africa. Now you get my point.
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

Microsoft cant have dedicated servers because 600,000 people play halo 3, a three year old game EVERY SINGLE DAY. Its not like Killzone 2 where 4,000 people play it or uncharted 2 with like 30,000. the 360 multiplayer games are actually fun and have a **** load of players on all day. Plus even halo 2 has more players on than Killzone 2johnsonmrom

1) The number of people who play a game does not effect wether a game will have dedicated servers or not

2) If there were more than 7 games worth playing on LIVE, less people would be playing the same thing over and over again.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

[QUOTE="Duckyindiana"]You do know that alot of PS3 games are p2p as well! CammieIsWii

Alot are, but not all. Mostly 3rd party games are P2P, with the exception of NHL10.

But many first party games are hosted on dedicated servers.

Most PS3 games are P2P. Most Xbox 360 games are P2P.

What are we discussing

A select FEW PS3 games have dedicated servers. A Select FEW 360 games have dedicated servers.

Games like Forza, left4dead 1+2, BF2, Frontlines,UT3 for the 360, and games like Killzone, SOCOM,MAG,Resistance 1+2, Warhawk,UT3

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

More people use Ethernet on 360 than PS3.

So I could see where some would make that argument that they are getting more stable connections. But in reality, it really depends on your network and the speed of the other players more so than the actual service. As far dedicated servers go, there are just as much client-user games on PS3 as they are on 360.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ermacness

[QUOTE="ermacness"]

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"] Don't base off the Wii's online system from a game or 2LastRambo341

SSBB was hyped for it's OFFLINE multiplayer. Yet you ignore great online games like MOH H2, WaW, MW Reflex, Mario Strikers, MArio KArt, Tatsunoko vs Capcom etc. Just because one thing is something, doesn't mean that the others will be the same. Example, when you see pictures of Africa, you see black people. Does that mean that there are no white people in Africa? NO! There are plenty of white people, especially in South Africa. Now you get my point.

WRONG!!!!!!!!! The fans literally begged ninty to incorporate an online multiplayer function in SSBB. The servers basically got bombarded on launch day. I'm telling you that one of the most hyped aspects about SSBB was the online multiplayer

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Halo 3 fun? I lol'd.... to alot of people maybe, for me Id rather lick paint... not that I have... but still.Birdy09

Just because you don't think Halo 3 is fun doesn't mean that it isn't...Hell, you said you'd rather lick paint. That pretty much says it all.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LastRambo341
[QUOTE="ermacness"]

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="ermacness"]if it was suppose to be one of your heavily hyped games on the system to have a feature that everyone and their mother was waiting for, and the ball dropped that hard, you can

WRONG!!!!!!!!! The fans literally begged ninty to incorporate an online multiplayer function in SSBB. The servers basically got bombarded on launch day. I'm telling you that one of the most hyped aspects about SSBB was the online multiplayer

I'd like to see some proof please, anyways, my point still stands.
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

"360 only gamers" try and make it out like LIVE is worth the money and there are zero problems. Its false...I have all this gen consoles...360, PS3 and Wii. PS3 and 360 are pretty much the exact same online. Wii is..."ok". Im hoping that Nintendo steps up next gen not only with online play but games, and controller wise.

YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 YuriSH
Member since 2010 • 1803 Posts
Yea Idk why people say that either because i have had lag on xbl too some pretty bad matches with some people that i had to leave the game and same thing with some ps3 games and my connection is gooddd.
Sandvichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sandvichman
Member since 2010 • 4006 Posts
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="ermacness"]

[QUOTE="CammieIsWii"]

Hypocricy much?
Gta3-fan334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 Gta3-fan334
Member since 2004 • 1499 Posts

Both XBL and PSN can get pretty bad lag, it just depends more on your connection. I myself cannot tell the difference between games that use dedicated servers or peer-to-peer.

Cow_tipping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cow_tipping
Member since 2009 • 602 Posts

from my experience i remember having lag issues with halo 3 massive 16 player matches yet no or little lag issues with resistance 2 up to 60 players

so xbox live fans enjoy your fast demo and dlc downloads while i enjoy dedicated servers on first party games (yes i know there are plenty of p2p games on ps3)

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LastRambo341

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="ermacness"]after playing SSBB, i have to HIGHLY disagree. I rather play with the "criminals" and "degenerates" than to play online in SSBB. Man, that was one of my biggest disappointments this gen:cry:

Sandvichman

Hypocricy much?

Mind explaining it?

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

EA has dedicated servers on XBL. Bad compnay and Bad Company 2 uses them. THQ uses dedicated servers too on XBL.

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

It's suprising that people this day and age have no idea where lag comes from.

Most of the time you lag, it's your own fault. (Your the only one lagging)

Occasionally it's the hosts fault. (very noticible because everybody but one person is lagging)

and sometimes it's the games fault. Bad netcode. ( everybody lags always go play the darkness to see this)

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

They're the same lag wise, XBL's downloads are loads faster though.

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

More people use Ethernet on 360 than PS3.

So I could see where some would make that argument that they are getting more stable connections. But in reality, it really depends on your network and the speed of the other players more so than the actual service. As far dedicated servers go, there are just as much client-user games on PS3 as they are on 360.

Blue-Sky

Bingo, actually I would go as far as to say 95% of the time that it depends on who your playing with and your own network connection.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

Funny enough, I tend to experience a great deal of lag on L4D, one of the few Xbox games with dedicated servers.