I don't get the praise and hype behind the PS3 in SW

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts

I avoided the PS3 for almost 2 years due to my lack of intrest in it's titles, then last month i fell into a bit of money and decided to finally buy one. Three weeks later. it's collecting dust. I bought the MGS4/KZ2 bundle andinfamous. I played Infamous first to be largely dissapointed. I prolly put 4-5 hours into that game and it was just really not fun.

I then played KZ for no more than a hour. Generic FPS plays like every other generic FPS only with a crappy FPS controller. Graphics were alright, though I'm a PC gamer first so I'm spoiled. After renting a few multiplats I eventually got to MGS4 which was by far the best of the games I own for the system. I'm almost to Act 3 but I have no real drive toplay the game. I was never a big MGS fan so the story is going right over my head.

I just can't see that the same people who supported the PS2 last gen are supporting the PS3 this gen. It's like Sony wanted to make the PS3 the new Xbox and vise versa with the 360. I seriously cannot see myself buying another game for either my PS3 or my 360 for the rest of this year, unless I bite the bullet and get MW2 on my 360 to appease my friends list. Evenin 2010, I have no idea what I want for the PS3.

Enough mindless ranting, the point of this thread is to find out why cows support the PS3 with it's radical differences to the great PS2.

( Almost forgot hardware issues. PS3 is reliable so far and I'm being forced to buy another 360 very soon. The thing is though, I wouldn't feel compelled to buy another PS3 if mine broke.)

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

Ok, I dislike those games also, I highly suggest you search further into the library.. At least for me there are some interesting things.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

"I'm a PC gamer"

That should explain everything, if you play more PC games than PS3 ones, there's someone else like that here as well.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles
tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts

Just because you don't like the games doesn't mean others won't. I can say I thoroughly enjoyed MGS4, LBP, InFamous among other titles (but not so much KZ2). That is why I praise the PS3. It has exclusives I enjoy just like every other system I own. It also good as a bluray player since I'm an avid collector.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Utensilman
i said i was a PC gamer first which implys im a console gamer second, doesnt mean i don't enjoy my 360
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

i said i was a PC gamer first which implys im a console gamer second, doesnt mean i don't enjoy my 360Utensilman
I know, I was just generalizing, that's all.:P Don't take me seriously.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
We can't all have the same opinion. I for one enjoyed all of the games you listed and pretty much most of the exclusive games for the PS3. So why shouldn't I praise it? :)
StealthKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StealthKnife
Member since 2008 • 2104 Posts
it only does everything ... ok im not a billboard
TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

For me anyways... my Wii is my main console, but I miss out on awesome multiplats.

The PS3 makes a great blu-ray/dvd upscaler, which I didn't have before and needed.

There are a few exclusives and multiplats on the PS3 I really want.

So, adding all those together, PS3 deserves all the praise I can give it, because it fills my entertainment void perfectly.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
I can tell the same story from a different side guy. I love the consoles, built a gaming rig and hardly use it to game at all. It's all a matter a taste. That's the answer to your question
loudharley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 loudharley
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Im not really all that impressed with my ps3 either.The online sucks i dont care what the die hards say and the controller is outdated and just doesnt work well with the type of games i enjoy playing.Killzone 2 and metal gear were the 2 main games i wanted for the ps3 and the reason i bought the system to start with.While i didnt totally hate those games they didnt have me jumping out of my seat when id play them.The graphics were great on metal gear and killzone 2 but i got really bored with the both of them.Killzone 2s controls in my opinion were very annoying to get use to. I cant comment on infamous because ive never played it but im sure i wouldnt care for simply because i just dont like that type of game.The ps3 isnt a terrible system by any means but it just doesnt give me what i want.My 360 could die on me a hundred times and id just keep sending it off because the controller is designed perfectly,xboxlive has everything i want in an online service and pretty much every game i want is on that system.Dont get me wrong the 360 failure rates have been awful but still yet they have what i want so i just stick with em.Luckily ive only had to deal with the red ring once and it was around 2 years ago and has been working fine since.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

I avoided the PS3 for almost 2 years due to my lack of intrest in it's titles, then last month i fell into a bit of money and decided to finally buy one. Three weeks later. it's collecting dust. I bought the MGS4/KZ2 bundle andinfamous. I played Infamous first to be largely dissapointed. I prolly put 4-5 hours into that game and it was just really not fun.

I then played KZ for no more than a hour. Generic FPS plays like every other generic FPS only with a crappy FPS controller. Graphics were alright, though I'm a PC gamer first so I'm spoiled. After renting a few multiplats I eventually got to MGS4 which was by far the best of the games I own for the system. I'm almost to Act 3 but I have no real drive toplay the game. I was never a big MGS fan so the story is going right over my head.

I just can't see that the same people who supported the PS2 last gen are supporting the PS3 this gen. It's like Sony wanted to make the PS3 the new Xbox and vise versa with the 360. I seriously cannot see myself buying another game for either my PS3 or my 360 for the rest of this year, unless I bite the bullet and get MW2 on my 360 to appease my friends list. Evenin 2010, I have no idea what I want for the PS3.

Enough mindless ranting, the point of this thread is to find out why cows support the PS3 with it's radical differences to the great PS2.

( Almost forgot hardware issues. PS3 is reliable so far and I'm being forced to buy another 360 very soon. The thing is though, I wouldn't feel compelled to buy another PS3 if mine broke.)

Utensilman
i guess all of us ps3 gamers r just plain idiots :( i guess i have to go buy another console now because apparently the ps3 is terrible. Should i get the one with the kiddy games or the one that breaks every few months?
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
KZ2 looks better than 99% of PC games so not really following.
double_heist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 double_heist
Member since 2005 • 2402 Posts
Valkyria Chroniclesfunsohng
Word! All the games that I really want now are coming this month, next month, december, and next year. So it isn't far too long.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

Utensilman
try VC its the only game i love on that system
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Utensilman

did this idea of gamers actually having different tastes in gaming and find PS3 to be a great console ever cross your mind.. Also you mentioned KZ2, MGS4 & inFamous, 3 games i really like as many others do..

Finally if you avoided PS3 for 2 yrs it just means PS3 is not made for you.. if you dont find any other Ps3 exclusive interesting its just shows PS3 is not made for you.. if in 2010 there is nothing you like from all the exclusives, again it just shows PS3 is not made for you...

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BodyElite
Member since 2009 • 2678 Posts

For me anyways... my Wii is my main console, but I miss out on awesome multiplats.

TaMuK711

Wow, that's a first! :lol:

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BodyElite

[QUOTE="Utensilman"]

surrealnumber5

try VC its the only game i love on that system

Isnt that a japanese anime game? Lol no way am i playing that

darkfame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 darkfame
Member since 2004 • 970 Posts

... and I don't get all the endless ranting threads in SW.

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BodyElite

... and I don't get all the endless ranting threads in SW.

darkfame

I dont get System Wars in general. So what if you only bought one gaming console, there's more important things in life than a tangible item like a gaming console

Noverech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Noverech
Member since 2003 • 1635 Posts

[QUOTE="Utensilman"]

joel_c17

i guess all of us ps3 gamers r just plain idiots :( i guess i have to go buy another console now because apparently the ps3 is terrible. Should i get the one with the kiddy games or the one that breaks every few months?

get the best gaming machine ever made...a PC

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

[QUOTE="joel_c17"][QUOTE="Utensilman"]

Noverech

seriously considering it :D
Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

Wait a minute!

You're a pc gamer and you bought mainly shooters for the PS3?? wtf dude.:?

I'm a pc gamer at heart though I usually buy one console per gen (usually around the middle of it's lifetime) in other to play other types of games. Like action/adventure games and platformers for example. They are much better on consoles.

I'm probably going to get some exclusive shooters but getting a ps3 *just* for shooters is kinda dumb lol.

San_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 San_09
Member since 2009 • 1206 Posts

Utensilman
Well. Put simply, you have a different opinion than the 'general'. Seeing how you didnt like BOTH Infamous and Killzone 2.
Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Utensilman
[QUOTE="Cataclism"]

Wait a minute!

You're a pc gamer and you bought mainly shooters for the PS3?? wtf dude.:?

I'm a pc gamer at heart though I usually buy one console per gen (usually around the middle of it's lifetime) in other to play other types of games. Like action/adventure games and platformers for example. They are much better on consoles.

I'm probably going to get some exclusive shooters but getting a ps3 *just* for shooters is kinda dumb lol.

who said i got a PS3 for shooters? It came bundled with KZ and MGS and i bought Infamous.
rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#28 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

I wouldn't get my PS3 fixed if it broke. I don't understand the hype about the system either.

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NielsNL
Member since 2005 • 4346 Posts

I like a lot of the exclusives. I like the fact that I can watch Bluray movies on my PS3. I like the fct hat I can play online multiplats without having to pay for the online uing my PS3. I like streaming content from my pc using my PS3. I like using the web browser to watch youtube and other random streams on the internet with my PS3, which by the way I could connect to he internet wirelessly without having to pay for th wireless. And, given the fact that you can do most of this with a pc too, I like the fact that I can do all of this from the comfort of my comfy couch without too much trouble. There's enough reasons for me to like my PS3. There's also enoguh reasons for me to like my 360 and Wii for that matter. Just don't care toom much for pc gaming, but all other stuff a pc does maker it pretty much a necessity to own one. So I guess all systems appeal to me in some way. I'm so positive! :P

TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

[QUOTE="TaMuK711"]

BodyElite

Wow, that's a first! :lol:

Metroid Prime Trilogy and Mario Kart own my soul, with sprinkles of SMG and Punch-Out inbetween:P

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

I can tell the same story from a different side guy. I love the consoles, built a gaming rig and hardly use it to game at all. It's all a matter a taste. That's the answer to your questionCouth_

I am in the same boat as you, I built my gaming rig for lan parties and MMOs. I only have lan parties like 2-3 times a year and currently not playing any MMOs so I barely game on this at all. There are some other games I will play every now and then but mainly use it just for internet and homework.

fedor19820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 fedor19820
Member since 2009 • 752 Posts

[QUOTE="Utensilman"]

Malta_1980

did this idea of gamers actually having different tastes in gaming and find PS3 to be a great console ever cross your mind.. Also you mentioned KZ2, MGS4 & inFamous, 3 games i really like as many others do..

Finally if you avoided PS3 for 2 yrs it just means PS3 is not made for you.. if you dont find any other Ps3 exclusive interesting its just shows PS3 is not made for you.. if in 2010 there is nothing you like from all the exclusives, again it just shows PS3 is not made for you...

to each his own cause i love my ps3 i have kz2 resistance 2 and infamous when it comes to exclusives and i love them all the only xbox360 game i put time into was cod 4 and am not a fan of pc games every time i try to play games on pc i end up going back to my consoles

so like i said before to each his own because all consoles are good if u know what u want out of them

and if ur going to call killzone 2 a generic shooter than u could say the same thing for 98% of all shooters ever made

Noverech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Noverech
Member since 2003 • 1635 Posts

[QUOTE="Noverech"]

[QUOTE="joel_c17"] i guess all of us ps3 gamers r just plain idiots :( i guess i have to go buy another console now because apparently the ps3 is terrible. Should i get the one with the kiddy games or the one that breaks every few months?joel_c17

seriously considering it :D

trust me when i switched over to PC i never looked at consoles the same way. they seem like babies toys compared to PCs. nows the best time to switch too you can get a great PC for really cheap plus this generation of consoles are nothing more then low-end PCs.

romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Uncharted. It's great, albeit frustrating at times. For me, the deal is blu-ray. While blu-ray underwhelmed me at first, the latest batch of new transfers look amazing, and the PS3 is a pretty good player. Since nobody that I would regularly visit has a blu-ray player, if I want to take any of my movies on a trip, I've gotta bring the PS3 (darn). It makes sense for me, then, to have my games and movies on one system. I prefer the 360 because of the superior multiplats (the gap is shrinking), and because I enjoy Gears, Halo, Mass Effect, and Fable, but most of my games are on the PS3 so that I can have my games and hi-def movies in one nice, neat package. Really, the hype boils down to two things: 1. Somebody really enjoys the games or the features of the system. This is the category that I find myself in. If you don't like the games or features, then there is really no point in paying attention to the hype. 2. Obnoxious brand loyalty. These people will hype the system to the death. The software for the system is adorned like a combat medal and every solid title is declared "proof" of the system's superiority. I gather this is the group that annoys you most. In my opinion, people who do this to the PS3 are far more prevalent than those who do it to the 360 here, which is probably why you see so much praise in hype. In short, you don't live vicariously through your console, treating its every victory as if it were a personal victory for you. Those of us that don't do that will never understand the hype of any console.
TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#35 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Well... MGS4 and LBP are numbers 1 and 3 respectively in terms of my favourite games of all time, so I really can't help but love the PS3.

Also love Uncharted, KZ2, R+C, Disgaea 3, Valkyria Chronicles and other exclusives. But if you don't like them, then you don't like them. It's all about opinions.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

you sound like a fanboy despite ur level, being not able to find one good game is unbelievable, i am a PS3 fanboy and i must admit the x360 (crappy machine) has a good library, see, fanboys admit that the rival consoles are not bad, you got to do the same,go search for another games to play on the console.

just wondering, what are you playing on ur x360???

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
i said i was a PC gamer first which implys im a console gamer second, doesnt mean i don't enjoy my 360Utensilman
You know what they say. Not everyone likes the same things!
trakem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 trakem
Member since 2002 • 3859 Posts

Ratchet and Clank. God of War. Resistance. Demon Souls. MGS4. KZ2.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

What games do you love on your 360? I bet their multiplats lol.

vdastampede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 vdastampede
Member since 2003 • 807 Posts

I think the problem you're making is buying into all these games that have a such high hype and then the fun not living up to it. KZ2 and MGS4 are incredibly overhyped and no where near as good as people make them out to be.

Like many others have, I would suggest Valkyria Chronicles and maybe even Fat Princess.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
In System Wars, PS3 is hot garbage. In real life, PS3 has provided me with 25 games in two years that I absolutely love.
Liquid_DC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Liquid_DC
Member since 2009 • 660 Posts
Cool story BRO!
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Pics or it didn't happen.

Norg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Norg
Member since 2002 • 15959 Posts

Well u should just stick to your PC then if u feel that way

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Cool story bro. This is more for your blog. Same can be said about any other system.

Oakfront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 Oakfront
Member since 2007 • 2788 Posts

Its still early days i believe. What with the 360/Wii having a massive time difference on the PS3, hence a larger game library.
I own all 3, and by far the PS3 has the best line up of exclusives, there's no denying it.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I feel your pain. I bought a ps3 off of ebay around a year ago. I'll watch a blu-ray movie once every couple of months.

Only game I liked so far was MGS4. Great game, wish there were more like it on the PS3. Some other games I found to be above average like Ninja Gaiden. Fun for a little bit but, gets repetitive. The rest just don't interest me.

Tried VC and got bored with it. Same old annoying anime characters. Overblown and predictable plot. Not much strategy in the game. All you have to do is keep all your characters together when moving around the map and you should be able to clear just about anything. I think VC would have been better off as a movie or show instead of a game.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Utensilman
[QUOTE="2mrw"]

you sound like a fanboy despite ur level, being not able to find one good game is unbelievable, i am a PS3 fanboy and i must admit the x360 (crappy machine) has a good library, see, fanboys admit that the rival consoles are not bad, you got to do the same,go search for another games to play on the console.

just wondering, what are you playing on ur x360???

I'm only a fanboy of games, not their consoles. I *was* playing alot of BF:1943, fable 2, and ofcourse Rock Band 2 on my 360...before it broke ofcourse.
Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Utensilman
[QUOTE="vdastampede"]

I think the problem you're making is buying into all these games that have a such high hype and then the fun not living up to it. KZ2 and MGS4 are incredibly overhyped and no where near as good as people make them out to be.

Like many others have, I would suggest Valkyria Chronicles and maybe even Fat Princess.

I actually bought Fat Princess a couple weeks ago. I had some hours of enjoyment out of it depsite not being able to join online games most of the time.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

You should try LBP, Valkyria Chronicles and Uncharted, those are great games too and quite different from what other consoles offer.