I am losing tolerance of PC gaming. Consoles are the better option

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

seriousdan74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 seriousdan74
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts
[QUOTE="BK-Sleeper"]

When the Dreamcast came and went, PC was still here.

When the Playstation came and went, PC was still here.

When the Xbox came and went, PC was still here.

When the PS3/360/Wii come and go, the PC will still be here.

Consoles are a temporary option until the PC ultimately surpasses it.

But then again, I feel for you. Stuff costs way too much to enjoy on PC.

vegetattack15

When the Dreamcast came and went, you had to sink in a buttload of money to upgrade your P.C.

When theXBox came and went, you had to sink in a buttload of money to upgrade your P.C.

When the PS3/360/Wii come and go, you will have to sink in a buttload of money to upgrade your P.C.

I was just going to post the same thing. Gaming of any kind costs money, when you look at it we're paying about the same evert couple of years.

ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts
[QUOTE="Supernova_86"]On medium settings, I believe that this PC will run Crysis on 20-25 frames a second. Can it achieve 40? Maybe on low specs, but not on medium. Of course, Crysis is not even out yet, so maybe I am wrong. However, I am sure you will need DUAL 8800's to reach 40fps on medium settings. I am confident in saying this.Vandalvideo
And you just exmplified the definition of ignorance. The 1950 is one of the stronger cards on the market, much stronger than any next gen console. It can run the game in max DX9 settings.

Console gamers think you need to spend 3k to run crysis and that is just plain wrong. If you had a decent pc you would not even need to upgrade to play crysis on medium in dx9 mode. The people like the TC with very old hardware are the people who need to upgrade. The 1950 if the cpu and memory are right should be no problem.
-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#103 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Supernova_86"]On medium settings, I believe that this PC will run Crysis on 20-25 frames a second. Can it achieve 40? Maybe on low specs, but not on medium. Of course, Crysis is not even out yet, so maybe I am wrong. However, I am sure you will need DUAL 8800's to reach 40fps on medium settings. I am confident in saying this.ChiChiMonKilla
And you just exmplified the definition of ignorance. The 1950 is one of the stronger cards on the market, much stronger than any next gen console. It can run the game in max DX9 settings.

Console gamers think you need to spend 3k to run crysis and that is just plain wrong. If you had a decent pc you would not even need to upgrade to play crysis on medium in dx9 mode. The people like the TC with very old hardware are the people who need to upgrade. The 1950 if the cpu and memory are right should be no problem.

Dude I need to upgrade since like 4 years ago or so, BUT IT ISN'T AS EASY HERE, I know about the hardware, I know about the prices... if only they were as low than in USA I would already have a great pc, not everyone who needs to upgrade thinks that, some people actually can't because they CANT.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#104 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Dude I need to upgrade since like 4 years ago or so, BUT IT ISN'T AS EASY HERE, I know about the hardware, I know about the prices... if only they were as low than in USA I would already have a great pc, not everyone who needs to upgrade thinks that, some people actually can't because they CANT.-KinGz-
Its not they can't, its just you don't know how. If you live in Europe, your PCs cost WAAAAY more cheap than in the US.
marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

Hey TC what did you think would happen playing new games with old hardware I doubt that laptop can even play hd video let alone new games. That's like you have a ps1 and cry that ps3 games don't work on it, your laptop needs a major update or just sell it and buy a desktop gaming pc.ChiChiMonKilla

this is what i hate about some hermits, 'my hardwares better than yours, which makes your hardware crap'. people generally buy laptops for a reason, why shouldnt they be able to play new games on them?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiChiMonKilla"]Hey TC what did you think would happen playing new games with old hardware I doubt that laptop can even play hd video let alone new games. That's like you have a ps1 and cry that ps3 games don't work on it, your laptop needs a major update or just sell it and buy a desktop gaming pc.marklarmer

this is what i hate about some hermits, 'my hardwares better than yours, which makes your hardware crap'. people generally buy laptops for a reason, why shouldnt they be able to play new games on them?

First off that laptop isnt made for gaming. The GPU itself if testiment to that.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts
Plan your next upgrade better. Centrino and 7300 are not the best gaming solutions. I generally go for medium end components and you can currently get a 8600 for $200 AUS, not a bad card if your not willing to spend much.
Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts

You're playing on a 1.6Ghz...:|

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#109 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Laptops aren't for games. The graphic processors in laptops may say they are 7300's or 7900's but really they aren't the same as their desktop counterparts. They are stripped down versions.
Supernova_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Supernova_86
Member since 2007 • 517 Posts
[QUOTE="marklarmer"]

[QUOTE="ChiChiMonKilla"]Hey TC what did you think would happen playing new games with old hardware I doubt that laptop can even play hd video let alone new games. That's like you have a ps1 and cry that ps3 games don't work on it, your laptop needs a major update or just sell it and buy a desktop gaming pc.skrat_01

First off that laptop isnt made for gaming. The GPU itself if testiment to that.

I was under the impression tha the RAM was the bottleneck (since Vista chews alot of RAM). But its nice to see people pointing out where the real bottleneck is (the GPU). Thanks, I really appreciate it :)

EDIT: removed link as it doesn't work.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="marklarmer"]

[QUOTE="ChiChiMonKilla"]Hey TC what did you think would happen playing new games with old hardware I doubt that laptop can even play hd video let alone new games. That's like you have a ps1 and cry that ps3 games don't work on it, your laptop needs a major update or just sell it and buy a desktop gaming pc.Supernova_86

I was under the impression tha the RAM was the bottleneck (since Vista chews alot of RAM). But its nice to see people pointing out where the real bottleneck is (the GPU). Thanks, I really appreciate it :)

EDIT: removed link as it doesn't work.

On low settings I don't think RAM would be the issue at all even with Vista. The best way to identify if your problem is RAM or not is if the game is constantly pausing for long periods of time as it loads data from the hard drive into Memory (or back onto the hard drive even as Windows utilizes the paging file) If it is, you need a RAM upgrade to play at those settings.

If you're just getting a consistent (with no long pauses), but poor framerate RAM isn't your issue.

That GPU is definitely the heaviest bottleneck on your game's performance.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts
[QUOTE="Redfingers"][QUOTE="EntwineX"][QUOTE="Supernova_86"]

2) $1000? Tell me of a PC that costs $1000that can run Crysis at medium settings and can achieve 40 frames a second, and I will believe you.

Supernova_86

DVD Burner - Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner $29.99

Case- COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 $49.99

Hard Disk - 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $74.99

Monitor - SCEPTRE X20WG-1080P Black 20.1" 5ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor $179.99

Video Card - SAPPHIRE 100176L Radeon X1950PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 $136.99

PSU - Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W SLI Ready ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply $64.99

RAM - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) $81.99

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard $102.99

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 $125.99

OS- Windows XP $139.99

----------------------
Total $987.90

If you have monitor, OS etc. left over from your old computer you can easily get C2D E6550 and 8800GTS in $800.

Teh pwnage.

On medium settings, I believe that this PC will run Crysis on 20-25 frames a second. Can it achieve 40? Maybe on low specs, but not on medium. Of course, Crysis is not even out yet, so maybe I am wrong. However, I am sure you will need DUAL 8800's to reach 40fps on medium settings. I am confident in saying this.

Yes, you are wrong. Crytek assured us that you will be able to play the game on ultra on a single 8800. The game has been playing on a 7900 until only recently. So I'm pretty damn sure the 1950 would play the game flawlessly.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Velocitas8

On medium settings, I believe that this PC will run Crysis on 20-25 frames a second. Can it achieve 40? Maybe on low specs, but not on medium. Of course, Crysis is not even out yet, so maybe I am wrong. However, I am sure you will need DUAL 8800's to reach 40fps on medium settings. I am confident in saying this.Supernova_86

Not true. An older build was being run on CryTek's Art Designer's single 7800GTX rig at high settings. Someone around here probably has that old interview. I believe it was at Crysis Online if you wanna look for it yourself.

What do you think they were running the game on before the GeForce 8 series was released? Computers from the future? :roll:

Polaris_choice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Polaris_choice
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

BK-Sleeper

You do realize that you have upgraded your pc probably twice if not at least once since every one of those consoels lifespan so that really has no point. Im sorry to tell you but the pc isnt this ever lasting single machine that stays around forever.

Polaris_choice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Polaris_choice
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts
[QUOTE="Supernova_86"][QUOTE="Redfingers"][QUOTE="EntwineX"][QUOTE="Supernova_86"]

2) $1000? Tell me of a PC that costs $1000that can run Crysis at medium settings and can achieve 40 frames a second, and I will believe you.

Redfingers

DVD Burner - Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner $29.99

Case- COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 $49.99

Hard Disk - 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $74.99

Monitor - SCEPTRE X20WG-1080P Black 20.1" 5ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor $179.99

Video Card - SAPPHIRE 100176L Radeon X1950PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 $136.99

PSU - Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W SLI Ready ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply $64.99

RAM - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) $81.99

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard $102.99

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 $125.99

OS- Windows XP $139.99

----------------------
Total $987.90

If you have monitor, OS etc. left over from your old computer you can easily get C2D E6550 and 8800GTS in $800.

Teh pwnage.

On medium settings, I believe that this PC will run Crysis on 20-25 frames a second. Can it achieve 40? Maybe on low specs, but not on medium. Of course, Crysis is not even out yet, so maybe I am wrong. However, I am sure you will need DUAL 8800's to reach 40fps on medium settings. I am confident in saying this.

Yes, you are wrong. Crytek assured us that you will be able to play the game on ultra on a single 8800. The game has been playing on a 7900 until only recently. So I'm pretty damn sure the 1950 would play the game flawlessly.

Um im sorry but before the 8800 it was running on SLI it never ran on a single DX9 gpu at any gameshow. They may have had it running behind closed doors but before the 8800 it was running on sli and even Quad sli machines.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Velocitas8

Um im sorry but before the 8800 it was running on SLI it never ran on a single DX9 gpu at any gameshow. They may have had it running behind closed doors but before the 8800 it was running on sli and even Quad sli machines. Polaris_choice

You're probably right about it never being shown on a single DX9 GPU, but then again you have nothing to back that up. And the power gains of SLI aren't all that great. 30-50% at best over a single card solution, and it diminishes even more with Quad-SLI I'm sure, so even if true it doesn't mean much when you consider how much more powerful the GeForce 8 series is, and how much more efficient DX10 is..

It seems to me people are vastly overestimating the requirements for this game when faced with these facts.

Holden1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Holden1985
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts
[QUOTE="-KinGz-"]

You are exagerating..., a gaming pc can be easily build for 1500$ incluiding monitor..., the fact that you'll be able to run crysis with e6600+2GBDDR2800 RAM+8800GTS 320 or 640 mb, tells you something.

Supernova_86

I refuse to believe that Cryis will run at medium settings AND maintain 40 frames per second on that kind of PC. Maybe 20-25 frames per second, but not 40. The developers may have stated that Crysis will run okay on this kind of hardware, but they always downplay the system requirements just to persuade you to buy the game (so they make an extra sale). After seeing some more Crysis screenshots, I feel a nervous shiver down my spine just thinking what kind of a beastly PC will be needed to play it (and achieve a HIGH framerate). If I wanted to play Crysis,Iwould make sure I have a MINIMUM of DUAL nVidia EVGA 8800 Ultras (768MB). No less than that, no way on Earth.

Why would they downplay yhe requierments games not even finished they have 3 months of optimization/tweakingbeen running fairly smooth on one 8800gtx high settings and 4gb of ram and a duocore. And it you was to use two 8800 ultras you would be running it max detailwith a good framerate. If you want to run any game on a pc with not the best hardware you turn the graphicalsettings down this gives you a better framerate.

-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#119 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts

[QUOTE="-KinGz-"]Dude I need to upgrade since like 4 years ago or so, BUT IT ISN'T AS EASY HERE, I know about the hardware, I know about the prices... if only they were as low than in USA I would already have a great pc, not everyone who needs to upgrade thinks that, some people actually can't because they CANT.Vandalvideo
Its not they can't, its just you don't know how. If you live in Europe, your PCs cost WAAAAY more cheap than in the US.

Thats not either, hehe I live in south america, here is where the stuff gets tight...

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts
[QUOTE="vegetattack15"][QUOTE="BK-Sleeper"]

seriousdan74

When the Dreamcast came and went, you had to sink in a buttload of money to upgrade your P.C.

When theXBox came and went, you had to sink in a buttload of money to upgrade your P.C.

When the PS3/360/Wii come and go, you will have to sink in a buttload of money to upgrade your P.C.

I was just going to post the same thing. Gaming of any kind costs money, when you look at it we're paying about the same evert couple of years.

Just need to upgrade, that's all... upgrading don't cost much if your smart.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="ChiChiMonKilla"]Hey TC what did you think would happen playing new games with old hardware I doubt that laptop can even play hd video let alone new games. That's like you have a ps1 and cry that ps3 games don't work on it, your laptop needs a major update or just sell it and buy a desktop gaming pc.marklarmer

Laptops are not made for gaming purposes!

tag_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 tag_001
Member since 2004 • 1595 Posts
[QUOTE="BK-Sleeper"]

Supernova_86

PCs will NOTsurpass consoles until it becomes consumer-friendly. Until the day cmes when I can play the latest games on a MODEST computers (cheaper han a PS3) and have no need to upgrade for at lest 5 years, then PC gaming will always be secondary.

You do realise that:

1. PCs can do alot more than a console could every dream of.

2. PC hardware companies don't recevie any money from the sales of games like console makers do. This is how they can afford to sell consoles so "cheap" when they launch.

If you want to calculate the cost of a gaming PC don't calculate the total cost of the PC but the added cost that differentiates it from a "normal" Pc. Most people need a recentPC anyway, if you add 400-500$ to the cost of a "normal" PC you usually get a pretty decent gaming PC.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="-KinGz-"]Dude I need to upgrade since like 4 years ago or so, BUT IT ISN'T AS EASY HERE, I know about the hardware, I know about the prices... if only they were as low than in USA I would already have a great pc, not everyone who needs to upgrade thinks that, some people actually can't because they CANT.-KinGz-

Thats not either, hehe I live in south america, here is where the stuff gets tight...

Then that would apply to consoles as well. Just import. Not sure where you're from, but I know Argentina and Brazil have dirt cheap importation costs.
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#124 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

BK-Sleeper

Ultimately surpasses it? I'm not quite sure what you're meaning by that. But the PC alreadysurpasses consoles.

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#125 froidnite
Member since 2006 • 2294 Posts

I refuse to believe that Cryis will run at medium settings AND maintain 40 frames per second on that kind of PC. Maybe 20-25 frames per second, but not 40. The developers may have stated that Crysis will run okay on this kind of hardware, but they always downplay the system requirements just to persuade you to buy the game (so they make an extra sale). After seeing some more Crysis screenshots, I feel a nervous shiver down my spine just thinking what kind of a beastly PC will be needed to play it (and achieve a HIGH framerate). If I wanted to play Crysis,Iwould make sure I have a MINIMUM of DUAL nVidia EVGA 8800 Ultras (768MB). No less than that, no way on Earth.

Supernova_86

Minimum???? WTF. Dual 8800 Ultra is the best setup outthere. So...What is the config according to you that will max CRYSIS?

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#126 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I never mobile gamed in my life on a laptop. But I can tell you one thing. They are not as powerful as you maybe lead to believe.

I recommended this Click Hereto my bro. Because he wanted a cheap gaming laptop.

It's $800... And I upgraded the RAM for him to 2 GB. But the performance of this for games... Is equal to about a 2003 PC decked out.

It has better spec's then your's too. You can't go over 1024 x 768 with out taking a frame rate hit. But you can max most games out on it.

I think Vista is the cause and the OLLLLDDD video drivers as well. It should preform better then what it is.

So, in the sum of it all. Laptops arn't great for gaming and PC's of all kinds are a pain when you want to game on them.

haols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 haols
Member since 2005 • 2348 Posts
I will max Crysis at 1280X1024with

Geforce 8800gts 320MB

AMD athlon 64 X2 4600+

2 GIG 667 ddr2 RAM

Sure it will run at 20-25 FPS I guess, but that is easily worth it.
Crysis isn't some alien technology. It will (according to the devs) run on MAX at ANY 8800 series card.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Vandalvideo

I never mobile gamed in my life on a laptop. But I can tell you one thing. They are not as powerful as you maybe lead to believe.

I recommended this Click Hereto my bro. Because he wanted a cheap gaming laptop.

It's $800... And I upgraded the RAM for him to 2 GB. But the performance of this for games... Is equal to about a 2003 PC decked out.

It has better spec's then your's too. You can't go over 1024 x 768 with out taking a frame rate hit. But you can max most games out on it.

I think Vista is the cause and the OLLLLDDD video drivers as well. It should preform better then what it is.

So, in the sum of it all. Laptops arn't great for gaming and PC's of all kinds are a pain when you want to game on them.

Truth_Hurts_U
That sounds more like poor casing design and heating than the hardware. Its not like laptops MAGICALLY make the hardware any worse than on a desktop. You'd get the same 3dmarks on a laptop as on a computer with the same hardware unless you had nut ventilation.
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#129 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

My rig costs $1500.

That said i have had no regrets. :D

haols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 haols
Member since 2005 • 2348 Posts
[QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

Vandalvideo

That sounds more like poor casing design and heating than the hardware. Its not like laptops MAGICALLY make the hardware any worse than on a desktop. You'd get the same 3dmarks on a laptop as on a computer with the same hardware unless you had nut ventilation.

As a matter of fact parts made for laptops will be inferior to their desktop counterparts.

They will be downclocked, and sometimes have inferior memory and cache sizes.
All this in order to prevent the small laptop case from overheating.

If you stuck a desktop processor into a laptop, with cooling made for the laptop it would be damaged unless you manually downclocked it.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#131 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

That sounds more like poor casing design and heating than the hardware. Its not like laptops MAGICALLY make the hardware any worse than on a desktop. You'd get the same 3dmarks on a laptop as on a computer with the same hardware unless you had nut ventilation.Vandalvideo

The latop is massive because of the big 17 inch widescreen. It is well designed except for the keyboard.

The CPU and RAM are all in an easy to reach 1 location. The heat is not an issue even at full load. It barley blows warm air out.

The thing is, Vista is a resource hog. Then you have to factor in bugs and issues with games on Vista. Then on top of it all. The video card in the thing has 2006 drivers. That were never updated since (on the net). Which is really sad I think.

It scores a 4.8 in the Windows Vista score. Which is based off the lowest score... Which is the HDD. Everything else is a 5 or 5.X... That was from alot of tweaking on my part. Did score a 4.5 at first.

You also have to think about it. Laptops are thin... They have less room to work with. You'll never get matching performance from the hardware in a laptop compared to a desktop (when the spec's look similar).

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]That sounds more like poor casing design and heating than the hardware. Its not like laptops MAGICALLY make the hardware any worse than on a desktop. You'd get the same 3dmarks on a laptop as on a computer with the same hardware unless you had nut ventilation.Truth_Hurts_U

The latop is massive because of the big 17 inch widescreen. It is well designed except for the keyboard.

The CPU and RAM are all in an easy to reach 1 location. The heat is not an issue even at full load. It barley blows warm air out.

The thing is, Vista is a resource hog. Then you have to factor in bugs and issues with games on Vista. Then on top of it all. The video card in the thing has 2006 drivers. That were never updated since (on the net). Which is really sad I think.

It scores a 4.8 in the Windows Vista score. Which is based off the lowest score... Which is the HDD. Everything else is a 5 or 5.X... That was from alot of tweaking on my part. Did score a 4.5 at first.

You also have to think about it. Laptops are thin... They have less room to work with. You'll never get matching performance from the hardware in a laptop compared to a desktop (when the spec's look similar).

Gaming laptop do blow heat out. Dell XPSm170 7800gtx blow alot of heat out.

Avatar image for MIYAMOTOnext007
MIYAMOTOnext007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 MIYAMOTOnext007
Member since 2006 • 3061 Posts
TC you are the perfect defintion of a noob. PC's do not cost as much money as you stated, and even if you have a near-minimum wage job (like me) you can still easily afford to spend 1,500 on an uber gaming rig (as I have).
_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts

I have got the PC game Titan Quest. Now, I don't have an ubergaming rig. My laptop has fairly modest hardware, its only an Intel Centrino 1.6ghz dual core, Geforce 7300 (128mb dedicated, 256mb shared) and 1 gig of RAM. Nothing too powerful at all. However, when I put Titan Quest on the LOWEST graphical settings, (800x600, low shadows/textures, etc), I my PC still struggles to acheive barely 10-15 frames when my character is moving. The framerate drops even further when my character is fighting.

What on Earth am I supposed to do? If my computer lags bad on the LOWEST settings, can you imagine what kind of beastly hardware you need to run on the MAX settings. PC game developers must be incredibly foolish to assume everybody has got high-end processors with 4 gigs of RAM and dual Geforece 8800's (768mb). For goodness sake, Doom 3 runs smooth on my PC (on second-lowest resoluton, of course), so why can't Titan Quest do the same?

My days as a PC gamer are slowly coming to an end. I am even considering that the Nintendo DS will become my primary gaming system. PC gaming is VERY anti-consumer, and I know this from experience. I have been suffering for 13 years because all of the computers I have ever owned are unable to play the latest games. I have performed upgrades on my previous computers, which makes a big difference, butsome games STILL lag. NeverWinter Nights 2 and Titan Quest are the most un-optimised games I have ever seen. The graphics of these games are rather low, but the system requirements are enormously high.

Looks like the only solution is to buy a new computer for at least $8,000 (Australian dollars). Either that OR I can buy an Xbox 360.

Supernova_86

I recently bought a laptop and definitely enjoy gaming on it, but I will be using my PS3 a lot more often come later this year and early 2008 onward. One of the main reasons I bought the laptop was for Crysis. I'll still use it for gaming down the road, but more so for general internet usage, and things like Photoshop, downloading music/videos etc. Like I said before, most of my gaming will be done on my PS3. There are so many good games on the way for PS3, and only a few for PC. A lot of the games coming for PS3 are going to be on the PC as well, but for anything that's not a first person, the PS3 is a better choice. I prefer PC controls for first person shooters, but everything else is better with analog sticks in my opinion.

The main reason I prefer console gaming is the prices. A good gaming PC doesn't cost insane amounts of money, but they aren't cheap, and needed upgrades come around too often. I like being able to buy a piece of hardware and not upgrade just to play a game how it's meant to be played. It's nice to know that anygame I put in my PS3 will run fine.

Consoles and PC's both have their disadvantages, but PC has more in my opinion.