How the Wii Mostly Dominated This Generation; WTFMYTIGTART Edition

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#152 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts
Lots of sales. Big whoop. Still has no gamesCapitan_Kid
Actually it does...
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Lots of sales. Big whoop. Still has no gamesMichael0134567
Actually it does...

Naah. Its dry. Worse thing nintendo did for this system was decide 5 games a year was enough for sheep.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Lots of sales. Big whoop. Still has no gamesCapitan_Kid
Actually it does...

Naah. Its dry. Worse thing nintendo did for this system was decide 5 games a year was enough for sheep.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.Typical.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#155 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41586 Posts
Lots of sales. Big whoop. Still has no gamesCapitan_Kid
Very broad statement there... and one that's not true.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"] Actually it does...

On the contrary I do. Since 2009 (i think), Ninty dropped the ball on support. They always waited until winter to release the good stuff like kirby, skyward sword, epic mickey, and DK (i think)There were a lot of dry summers. Hell look at it now. If it werent for xenoblade and the last story (average tbh) there'd be practically nothing to play.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#157 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49600 Posts

Standards don't come attached with a price, they come attached with quality and content, price is the natural result of that quality and content. Noone is going to charge 60$ for a 2 hour quality tower defense game. You need to go back and read the posts again, it isn't exclusively about price, it really isn't about price at all, the price is just the result.. Ignore price, pick a few of your favourite devs, pick a few of your favourite genres, and tell me, do you want to order 10 AAA arcade titles, or 10 AAA Retail titles. Which would you pick? Retail. Everyone here would pick retail. Or another example, take the 10 best Arcade games from this gen and the 10 best Retail games from this gen, any platform, PC, Iphone whatever. imagine you could only play one of those groups, or gift those games or recommend those games for someone else to play. The 10 AAA retail games would be EVERYONE's pick for obvious reasons. /Win. Eddie-Vedder
That is true. Which is why Super Meat Boy was nominated for game of the year over the likes of full retail titles because it had the quality and content to go along with it. Different standards meant little in the end, as "a game that scores extremely high is an outstanding game by any standards." This is just getting downright silly. What's next, everyone is going to pick 10 AAA games opposed to 10 games in a range of B to AAAA games? Forcing a showcase as 'fact' is just juvenile.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Lots of sales. Big whoop. Still has no gamesnintendoboy16
Very broad statement there... and one that's not true.

People sorely need to come up with new material.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Naah. Its dry. Worse thing nintendo did for this system was decide 5 games a year was enough for sheep.

On the contrary I do. Since 2009 (i think), Ninty dropped the ball on support. They always waited until winter to release the good stuff like kirby, skyward sword, epic mickey, and DK (i think)There were a lot of dry summers. Hell look at it now. If it werent for xenoblade and the last story (average tbh) there'd be practically nothing to play.

2010, much? That proved the Wii wasn't dead.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"] You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.Typical.

So releasing 5 passable games a year isnt dead to you?
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] Standards don't come attached with a price, they come attached with quality and content, price is the natural result of that quality and content. Noone is going to charge 60$ for a 2 hour quality tower defense game. You need to go back and read the posts again, it isn't exclusively about price, it really isn't about price at all, the price is just the result.. Ignore price, pick a few of your favourite devs, pick a few of your favourite genres, and tell me, do you want to order 10 AAA arcade titles, or 10 AAA Retail titles. Which would you pick? Retail. Everyone here would pick retail. Or another example, take the 10 best Arcade games from this gen and the 10 best Retail games from this gen, any platform, PC, Iphone whatever. imagine you could only play one of those groups, or gift those games or recommend those games for someone else to play. The 10 AAA retail games would be EVERYONE's pick for obvious reasons. /Win. Stevo_the_gamer

That is true. Which is why Super Meat Boy was nominated for game of the year over the likes of full retail titles because it had the quality and content to go along with it. Different standards meant little in the end, as "a game that scores extremely high is an outstanding game by any standards." This is just getting downright silly. What's next, everyone is going to pick 10 AAA games opposed to 10 games in a range of B to AAAA games? Forcing a showcase as 'fact' is just juvenile.

SO you agree, which proves my point and puts us on the same page, the rest of your post really doesn't make any sense. You agreed and then tried to disagree? And then claim something about comparing AAA games with AA games or something? I realize a great game is a great game, but a truly great retail game will always have more potential to be the better game then the arcade game simply because it's more evolved, it's the bigger title, with more money time and effort put into it. You agreed so there really is nothing else to argue.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] On the contrary I do. Since 2009 (i think), Ninty dropped the ball on support. They always waited until winter to release the good stuff like kirby, skyward sword, epic mickey, and DK (i think)There were a lot of dry summers. Hell look at it now. If it werent for xenoblade and the last story (average tbh) there'd be practically nothing to play.

Passable games?What?
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] On the contrary I do. Since 2009 (i think), Ninty dropped the ball on support. They always waited until winter to release the good stuff like kirby, skyward sword, epic mickey, and DK (i think)There were a lot of dry summers. Hell look at it now. If it werent for xenoblade and the last story (average tbh) there'd be practically nothing to play. Capitan_Kid

First parties:

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Metroid: Other M (I played this, and it's not as bad as the fandom is making it to be)

Kirby's Epic Yarn (haven't played yet, but was received well by gamers and critics alike)

Third parties:

Goldeneye 007 (I know there is an HD version, but that didn't come until 2011, so it still counts in this case)

Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

Sonic Colors (the DS version has different gameplay)

No More Heroes 2 (again, haven't played, but did well with both it's niche audience and critics)

Monster Hunter Tri (same deal as KEY and NMH2)

Last I checked, all those games got a little more than "passable" reception.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] Standards don't come attached with a price, they come attached with quality and content, price is the natural result of that quality and content. Noone is going to charge 60$ for a 2 hour quality tower defense game. You need to go back and read the posts again, it isn't exclusively about price, it really isn't about price at all, the price is just the result.. Ignore price, pick a few of your favourite devs, pick a few of your favourite genres, and tell me, do you want to order 10 AAA arcade titles, or 10 AAA Retail titles. Which would you pick? Retail. Everyone here would pick retail. Or another example, take the 10 best Arcade games from this gen and the 10 best Retail games from this gen, any platform, PC, Iphone whatever. imagine you could only play one of those groups, or gift those games or recommend those games for someone else to play. The 10 AAA retail games would be EVERYONE's pick for obvious reasons. /Win. Eddie-Vedder

SO you agree, which proves my point and puts us on the same page, the rest of your post really doesn't make any sense. You agreed and then tried to disagree? And then claim something about comparing AAA games with AA games or something? I realize a great game is a great game, but a truly great retail game will always have more potential to be the better game then the arcade game simply because it's more evolved, it's the bigger title, with more money time and effort put into it. You agreed so there really is nothing else to argue.

I agree that price is relative to the market expectation; no one expects to pay an absurd amount of money for little in return so the overall issue in that respect is moot. Reviews take into account value, but that doesn't mean an arcade game can't outshine a retail game in its genre--it can happen, it does happen. Is it reviewed to different standards? Value showcases that to be the case, but is the genre standards on similar ground? You bet. The original point still comes down to my first reply to you with SMB. It outshined other retail games not because of "lower standards" but because it was simply an outstanding game.

Secondly, that's a fallacy.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#165 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

[QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] I'm sure SMG2 would have scored 10 on any system. However sheeps are trying to claim ownage with their exclusive library AA-AAAA. 8-9 can hardly be thought of as extremely high scores.Sushiglutton

An 8 or 9 is a high score though.

I notice you left out the word "extremely" :lol:!

So? I left out a word and you're just grasping for straws.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]That is true. Which is why Super Meat Boy was nominated for game of the year over the likes of full retail titles because it had the quality and content to go along with it. Different standards meant little in the end, as "a game that scores extremely high is an outstanding game by any standards." This is just getting downright silly. What's next, everyone is going to pick 10 AAA games opposed to 10 games in a range of B to AAAA games? Forcing a showcase as 'fact' is just juvenile.

Stevo_the_gamer

I agree that price is relative to the market expectation; no one expects to pay an absurd amount of money for little in return so the overall issue in that respect is moot. Reviews take into account value, but that doesn't mean an arcade game can't outshine a retail game in its genre--it can happen, it does happen. Is it reviewed to different standards? Value showcases that to be the case, but is the genre standards on similar ground? You bet. The original point still comes down to my first reply to you with SMB. It outshined other retail games not because of "lower standards" but because it was simply an outstanding game.

Secondly, that's a fallacy.

It can happen, but it doesn't happen 99% of the time, and I really don't even see where it has happened. An arcade game of a certain genre, scoring the same as a fully priced retail game of the same genre and that arcade game beating it out in awards etc? I mean It COULD happen, but that's extremely rare. And an exception doesn't really change the rule, there's always an exception. You used the example of Super Meat Boy, if the devs tried to make that into a bigger budget game, added more content, better graphics and sounds etc and charged 60 bucks for it, chances are they wouldn't be able to do enough to warrant going all the way up to 60$, but the game would still undoubtedly be better then the original even though it would probably score less. You can't get around the different standards. It's simply not possible to ignore and have a logical rational debate on review scores game libraries and platforms. Otherwise we end up back at the ludicrous idea that phones are the greatest gaming platform of all time.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Wii sucks, but I bought one yesterday for $25. Told my kids they can keep it in their room.
Razor_defiace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Razor_defiace
Member since 2004 • 1618 Posts

Bought the Wii because I thought that 3rd parties would make tons of games for them. Boy was I wrong... I got nothing that interested me. Fatal Frame was ok though.

I just think the Wii is likely the least interesting console as a stand alone. A 360 offers a few exclusives sure, but at least it has heaps of multiplatforms unlike the Wii. I would definitely not consider it a winner of this generation, with poor 3rd party support I really can't claim it's the best console to own. Had it been a console not only with great 1st party support but also 3rd party then yeah it would take the cake as the best.

I'll just say that the HD twins were a far better value for me. At least I used them a lot during this gen.

PS. PC will always be on top for me though :P

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

It can happen, but it doesn't happen 99% of the time, and I really don't even see where it has happened. An arcade game of a certain genre, scoring the same as a fully priced retail game of the same genre and that arcade game beating it out in awards etc? I mean It COULD happen, but that's extremely rare. And an exception doesn't really change the rule, there's always an exception. You used the example of Super Meat Boy, if the devs tried to make that into a bigger budget game, added more content, better graphics and sounds etc and charged 60 bucks for it, chances are they wouldn't be able to do enough to warrant going all the way up to 60$, but the game would still undoubtedly be better then the original even though it would probably score less. You can't get around the different standards. It's simply not possible to ignore and have a logical rational debate on review scores game libraries and platforms. Otherwise we end up back at the ludicrous idea that phones are the greatest gaming platform of all time. Eddie-Vedder
It happens--Outland was nominated for Best PS3 game over the likes of Uncharted 3. Anonomy: Warzone Earth and Synapse nominated over Retribution and Tropico 4 in Best Strategy. NBA Jam over MLB the Show in best Sports. And those examples were just in the 2011 Awards for Gamespot.