commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Whenever I'm on this forum I never really see any posts about skills, as in skills in game. It's mostly about presentation and storytelling. Never how good a game deals with multiplayer competition.

and I wouldn't really call it that mainstream either, I mean to be skillfull in highly competetive games, it requires some commitment.

I mean I'm 43 years old and I'm still competing at a pretty high level, of course it needs to be a game that caters my strengths, and at my age that isn't reflexes, so in a standard shooter like cod I'm not that good at anymore.

I wonder is it because you don't know about these games or is because most of you are playstationofied.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39180 Posts

I am a cow. When i watch my games, i watch them, not play them. Its very difficult to get any better at watching movies.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

I don’t want to be a sweat, it’s not enjoyable for me. Can I compete (not professionally) in most games? Absolutely! But that’s not why I enjoy games. I play to have fun and being skilled is not what equates to fun for me.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Not much at all any more. I used to be pretty into MP FPS back in the day and loved lan tournaments, but now I'm old and tired and just want to have fun at the end of a shit work week. I don't shy away from a challenge, but I'd rather play SP and I'd rather not get too frustrated

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By commander

@Ibacai said:

I don’t want to be a sweat, it’s not enjoyable for me. Can I compete (not professionally) in most games? Absolutely! But that’s not why I enjoy games. I play to have fun and being skilled is not what equates to fun for me.

not all competive multiplayers are sweaty so to speak, as that you have to play like your life depends on it.

Some games are quite tactical, like when I play fight night champion, some of these matches can take a halfhour and it really isn't all about reflexes, it can be a bit of chess game, but with more action.

A game like world of warships or magic is even more laid back.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By commander

@xantufrog said:

Not much at all any more. I used to be pretty into MP FPS back in the day and loved lan tournaments, but now I'm old and tired and just want to have fun at the end of a shit work week. I don't shy away from a challenge, but I'd rather play SP and I'd rather not get too frustrated

yeah but there's way more out there than just fps, I stopped like playign fps games back in 2011 with black ops 1, I did play paladins (overwatch clone) a couple years back for a couple of weeks but even that is not as brutal as a standard fps game.

and the other games I play mostly (world of tanks, world of warships, magic , fight night champion) are nowhere near the focus you need in a shooter.

I also play fifa ultimate team though, and while that is defenitely intense, I get a lot of matches where I can rely on the tactics I did in management.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 commander

@hardwenzen said:

I am a cow. When i watch my games, i watch them, not play them. Its very difficult to get any better at watching movies.

I played uncharted 4 on youtube

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

I mostly play NHL and Battlefield and I play them a lot. I am pretty good at both games. I play to win, but I want to have fun while doing so. I don't focus on continuing to get better as I know I am not going to reach an elite level. I just play a lot because I enjoy it and I do what I can to help the team win.

https://battlefieldtracker.com/bfv/profile/origin/BassMan_PC/overview

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 commander

@BassMan said:

I mostly play NHL and Battlefield and I play them a lot. I am pretty good at both games. I play to win, but I want to have fun while doing so. I don't focus on continuing to get better as I know I am not going to reach an elite level. I just play a lot because I enjoy it.

yeah battlefield is defenitely more tactical than other shooters, and not as frantic as call of duty for instance.

I suppose nhl is like we have fifa in europe, do you play the ultimate team thing

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

been in and out of esports and pro action sports.

if its not a challenge, it isn't fun.

but maybe thats just me.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 commander

@BassMan: lol your kd ratio, you're pretty good.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 commander

@loonski said:

been in and out of esports and pro action sports.

if its not a challenge, it isn't fun.

but maybe thats just me.

which games?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@commander: I should probably give FIFA a try. I have never played a soccer video game but used to play a lot in real life so I'd probably enjoy it

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

@commander: Quake 2/3, Starcraft, Overwatch

I'm an "old timer" but not over the hill yet.

I dont think you necessarily lose reflexes as you get older (within reason), but just like physical fitness, if you dont stay trained and keep things sharp, stuff starts to slip.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#16 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

@commander: I don't play Ultimate Team at all. I only play EASHL (Club and Drop-in). Also, for BF, I don't focus on kills or K/D. If you look at my score break down, it is almost 2:1 Objective Score to Combat Score. I basically PTFO and do what I can to help the team win. That usually involves holding the W key Rambo style and capturing flags. I pop a lot of smokes to help the team push and revive/heal as much as possible.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15944 Posts

None anymore i play purely for leisure. I do try to compete locally way back then with pro evolution soccer and fifa local tourneys.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44290 Posts

I’m pretty average at best competitively in games like Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears of War. Very below average in games like Forza. I play a lot of fighting games but mostly just the arcade and story modes against the CPU. Play sometimes online but am mostly a low tier casual. Lately I play co-op online in games like Monster Hunter, Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis, and horde mode in Gears of War. Have got pretty good in those ones especially Monster Hunter games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen

I believe that most people complaining about having shitty reflexes (or just being bad at games) when they reach ~30 has more to do with the low amount of time invested in each game because of more responsabilities like family, work, etc. Nolife that shit like a Korean, and it will change🙃

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58382 Posts

Multiplayer gaming was always about value, not skill, for me. You can play a multiplayer-focused game for thousands of hours and, when you get paid $10/hr, that's a great value.

With that said, it's definitely fun to play online games where people are skilled and know what to do, on both sides of your team. Challenge is great, losing is educational, and winning feels earned rather than simply endured.

now that I have a good job, however, I can actually afford to buy games that I get <50 hours out of, and I enjoy them. Might just be because I work hard and I am stressed out all the time, but I prefer to spend my time with a nice sandbox city builder than some arena shooter like I used to.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

I mean, that's a lot of games now. presentation and storytelling. Typically, at the expense of the gameplay.

Pretty film like visuals sell it. And demonstrably inept reviewers just want to jabber on about thematic/political shit nobody cares about other than maybe your Resetera headcase.

Making a game as shallow as a puddle with good aesthetics isn't punished, it's rewarded.

How many Assassin Creeds were shat out where you just tap X to win, and it's just enterain shallow busy work to fill time?

Mean look at this, beautiful.

Loading Video...

Strip it away, what have you got? Shite.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By commander

@sakaixx said:

None anymore i play purely for leisure. I do try to compete locally way back then with pro evolution soccer and fifa local tourneys.

@xantufrog said:

@commander: I should probably give FIFA a try. I have never played a soccer video game but used to play a lot in real life so I'd probably enjoy it

fifa is a great game, and the ultimate team mode is highly addictive. The reason I got into it is because they remade all old players, like pele, raul, maradona, figo, zidane, too much to say , they have about a 100 of these players, and they really are animated like they used to play.

of course different versions of fifa do cater certain playstyles better, but if you were a fan of a certain player in thepast, you'll a have blast playing with them, especially when you can use their strengths to your advantage.

the learning curve for ultimate team is not easy though, not as much in playing, I can teach you that in no time to be somewhat competetive, but setting up your team and finding what works best for you is a very steep learning curve.

Still there are numerous divisions so you get matched up with people of your own level, and you can also grind your way to your ultimate team with single player games, but fut champions is a league where everyone meets each other, and that also gives the highest rewards, and by that also more options to better your team, or just make a more fun team, it's not all about winning, sometimes it's just about style.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 643 Posts

I am not very good at most MP competitive games, most likely because of the lack of practice and spending most of the time I have playing SP games. I just don't have the time these days to try to get really good at them.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 commander
@Archangel3371 said:

I’m pretty average at best competitively in games like Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears of War. Very below average in games like Forza. I play a lot of fighting games but mostly just the arcade and story modes against the CPU. Play sometimes online but am mostly a low tier casual. Lately I play co-op online in games like Monster Hunter, Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis, and horde mode in Gears of War. Have got pretty good in those ones especially Monster Hunter games.

yeah i kinda gave up on monster hunster since the people that play it are xbox friends and I still have a base xboxone, and that version just ain't very good, it's a blurfest actually.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By commander
@mrbojangles25 said:

Multiplayer gaming was always about value, not skill, for me. You can play a multiplayer-focused game for thousands of hours and, when you get paid $10/hr, that's a great value.

With that said, it's definitely fun to play online games where people are skilled and know what to do, on both sides of your team. Challenge is great, losing is educational, and winning feels earned rather than simply endured.

now that I have a good job, however, I can actually afford to buy games that I get <50 hours out of, and I enjoy them. Might just be because I work hard and I am stressed out all the time, but I prefer to spend my time with a nice sandbox city builder than some arena shooter like I used to.

cities skyline, my brother plays that a lot, I never was into sim games though, I need some action and competition.

You would be surprised how many laid back multiplayer games there are , world of warships for instance or magic. A lot of these games are also fun because you can be busy with a lot of management , like with warships tweaking your ships, or just grinding for ships.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By commander
@hardwenzen said:

I believe that most people complaining about having shitty reflexes (or just being bad at games) when they reach ~30 has more to do with the low amount of time invested in each game because of more responsabilities like family, work, etc. Nolife that shit like a Korean, and it will change🙃

you would be surprised how fast you need to be to to be a good fps player, I was a pretty good unreal player in my younger days, and even in call of duty I sometimes dominated games, I can't see myself doing that anymore, even with my best intentions.

It feels like I'm about to have a seizure when I play an fps game for longer than a couple of hours nowadays.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 commander
@loonski said:

@commander: Quake 2/3, Starcraft, Overwatch

I'm an "old timer" but not over the hill yet.

I dont think you necessarily lose reflexes as you get older (within reason), but just like physical fitness, if you dont stay trained and keep things sharp, stuff starts to slip.

ah , I was a pretty good unreal player, the first one and ut 99, not that 2003/2004 crap. Quake 2/3 was a bit too fast for me if I recall correctly.

Never was really good in starcraft, always got carried away in building and then got swarmed, I'm not bad at the first dawn of war though.

I think I'd like overwatch, I kinda liked paladins and I heard its just an overwatch clone.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Archangel3371

@commander: Meh. I put tons of time into MH on Xbox One S and was perfectly fine with the visuals of the game myself. I’ve pretty much moved on to Monster Hunter Rise now though.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 commander
@girlusocrazy said:

It depends on how I get in sync with the gameplay mechanics. Some games feel more natural to play to some rather than others depending on how much it "makes sense" to your brain. Of course you have to give it some effort until everything falls into place and becomes muscle memory and intuition. If it's one of those games then I'll dig into it and revel in that aspect. That's the type of game that makes me keep wanting to come back and replay.

If it isn't one of those games then I try to get into other aspects of it and do the best I can, but I don't expressly try to hone my effectiveness, I just try to have fun and enjoy myself. There's level design, music, atmosphere, scenario, characters, many things to enjoy even if you don't try to become an expert at the gameplay.

I don't care about competitive multiplayer but I do like VR multiplayer because of the social aspect. It's enjoyable just to be present in the game world among others and be able to gesture and communicate through more than just speech, and where the physical aspect comes into play, like actually spying around corners, ducking back, holding your gun out and blind firing, everyone joking around and bulls***. That s*** is f***ing amazing. It really feels like playing and not just gaming.

yeah I can't seem to find a proper vr multiplayer game, apart from chess, and even that is hard to find. Dead and buried wasn't all too bad though, but since I need teleport otherwise I get sick, I don't think I have much options.

I could stomach lone echo though but not too long.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

Many games just require keeping at it, but there are so many online PvP games I don't want to put in the time for competitive PvP, that's why I like the casual nature of PvE.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

I used to be LE/LEM when I used to grind CSGO. Diamond in Valorant now. I still have the reaction time and aim, just need the practice. But I can't anymore cos work. But I'm pretty competitive when it comes to these games.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 commander

@uninspiredcup: lol I did kinda like the first ac creed also because I was really in to the prince of persia games, but those games were actually challenging.

The second was not bad because of how they depicted certain monuments, but they lost me with all the variations on the second one , three was kinda weird, it started of nicely with that theatre but after that it went downhill fast.

Black flag had something, but yeah stale gameplay again.

Unity was so well done I didn't care much for gameplay but that was 2014, I tried odyssey once and got bored quickly, got bored with any far cry after the second as well.

Ubi is really everything what is wrong with gaming today, but back in 2013 they released spartacus, it was one of the best fighting games I ever played, by one of their smaller studios. I'm still baffled why they haven't made something similar again, I had a blast with that game.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By commander
@Archangel3371 said:

@commander: Meh. I put tons of time into MH on Xbox One S and was perfectly fine with the visuals of the game myself. I’ve pretty much moved on to Monster Hunter Rise now though.

oh the ps4 wasn't much better, but it was still better, that power difference can't be denied, and I'm a hardcore lem.

Monster hunter is simply a very demanding game, and if you haven't played it on the one x, series x or pc you're doing yourself a disservice. The one x was available when it released though but I couldn't justify the purchase just for one game, I still don't have a 4k tv either.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Archangel3371

@commander: Well yeah, the game will obviously be better on more powerful hardware. Still though playing it on the Xbox One didn’t hinder my enjoyment of the game at all. Really my only gripe was the load times. Other then that thought it was a very nice looking game.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts

I enjoy playing at a competitive level on games until they get completely overran with cheaters.. which these days is pretty quickly. That said, it's always better to get into online multiplayer games day one to get the best possible experience. I used to play in tournaments and things like that all the time, but as I've gotten older I don't always want to be the round commander or clan leader all the time and just want to play to have fun.

Finding good online multiplayer games these days is getting harder and harder and especially on consoles which makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2080 Posts

I'm not a fan of competitive MP. I cannot take it seriously as some of my friends do. I used to play a lot of Quake 2, Ultimate doom and command and conquer multiplayer back in the days. I rather do things at my own pace like immersing myself into the story and characters rather than treating gaming as a Olympic sport.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Eh, feel the age/reflexes deal tends to be exaggerated. Older dudes are still killin it in arena shooters that make CoD look like slo mo, as well as having that extra layer of execution, in a playing field where the opponent can come from any direction. A lot of the top fighting game players are in their late 30s to early 40s and show no signs of slowing down. Recent SFV event in Japan had a top 8 with the youngest player being 35. Any of which are good enough to be world champ. All playing a genre where 1 frame accuracy is a thing, 3 frame accuracy is considered forgiving, and you're regularly reacting to 1/3 second startups.

On topic, yeah I like gamey ass games. Can occasionally sit through the "muh experience" type game, but not my jam for real. Not a requirement, but a lot of my favorite SP games have solid ranking systems that are fun to push for. On the multiplayer side, strictly stick to fighting games these days.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@commander said:
@hardwenzen said:

I made that joke a while back, hardwenzen didn't take it well.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

TC you can improve your reflexes by doing different activities in real life, learning an instrument, martial arts etc.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@commander said:
@hardwenzen said:

I made that joke a while back, hardwenzen didn't take it well.

Why won't i take it well when i played UC3 and UC4 on youtube🤣

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

If I'm playing a game online, I'm playing to win so I'll never understand the whole "I don't like sweats, I only play casual" stuff? What's the point of playing a competitive online game if you aren't trying to win, that's a large part of the fun is getting the win or being a big part of the win (if you're playing a fps or other game with teammates).

I play mostly exclusively FPS and fighting games online (they tend to be what I'm best at), right now it's VF5 and CoD:MWR for me. VF5 is fantastic, I'm enjoying relearning the game and constantly getting better at it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45239 Posts

Not sure what this has to do with Playstation 😄 Playstation has all of the games and many competitive events.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I used to be back in the 90s and early 2ks when playing QIIIA, Tribes, UT etc. Nowadays many games have things like the competitive FPS equivalent to catch up on Mario Kart to help new players and damage numbers all over the place so its hard for me to enjoy any of them let alone play competitively.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34668 Posts

I'm 33, haven't noticed my reflexes getting worse yet.

I play MP stuff. Usually win or come high up on score lists in pretty much everything I bother to learn.

Hunt: Showdown
Overwatch
Rocket League
Smash Bros.
Mario Kart
Battlefield
Quake
Unreal Tournament

I was even killing it in Apex. Probably because I was mostly playing against children I guess.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

I have just never been interested in competition in general. I am not competitive by nature. if i play with other people it tends to be more co-op.

I'm not wired to take satisfaction in wins or victories at all. overcoming a hard boss in a game after many tries? meh. Pulling off a hard combo of jumps in a platformer? meh.

i think this is one of the big reasons i dont get along with the souls games for example. i see a video of someone beating a boss after many tries and they are excited and jumping out of the chair etc. i dont get that. i do get the frustrating side of it (smacking controllers off the ground etc.) but once i overcome it i dont get the high. i get....meh.

i prefer the adventure to the challenge. i prefer to be able to just go out an explore in games that are mechanically fun to play but not all that challenging.

...i think marble madness broke me as a kid. DAM YOU MARK CERNY!!! :P.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I play and compete in SFV at relatively high level. It's died down a bit because of the pandemic preventing our local events, but I used to place consistently in top 3 where I'm from. I also travelled to Chicago for Combo Breaker a few times and played against some of the best players in the world. That's where you realize you have a LOOOONG way to go still which is a good thing. That means there's still lots to learn and improve on.

I just picked up Strive as my first Anime fighter. It's kind of refreshing starting from square 1.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#48 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

I just picked up Strive as my first Anime fighter. It's kind of refreshing starting from square 1.

It is. It's a lot easier to get into than I thought it would be as well. Tempted to go back and try the older "hardercore" entries, if only to go through story-mode, the true reason to play fighting games.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#49 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24959 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Cup, I misread how much of stalker you are lol.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 commander

@ConanTheStoner said:

Eh, feel the age/reflexes deal tends to be exaggerated. Older dudes are still killin it in arena shooters that make CoD look like slo mo, as well as having that extra layer of execution, in a playing field where the opponent can come from any direction. A lot of the top fighting game players are in their late 30s to early 40s and show no signs of slowing down. Recent SFV event in Japan had a top 8 with the youngest player being 35. Any of which are good enough to be world champ. All playing a genre where 1 frame accuracy is a thing, 3 frame accuracy is considered forgiving, and you're regularly reacting to 1/3 second startups.

On topic, yeah I like gamey ass games. Can occasionally sit through the "muh experience" type game, but not my jam for real. Not a requirement, but a lot of my favorite SP games have solid ranking systems that are fun to push for. On the multiplayer side, strictly stick to fighting games these days.

It does wildly surprise me that the streetfighter V best player is over 40 years old lol but that isn't the case with a fighting game like mortal kombat.

and I do think shooters are still different, your brain reaction time peaks at age 24, and reaction speed in shooters is still more important. It's a constant stress to be aware of anything happening around you. In fighting games you have an overview that is a major difference.

I still play fighting games as well btw, I don't have a problem with those type of games.