How Much better is the 360 GPU compared to the PS3's?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Make_me_win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Make_me_win
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts

i am very surprised by the blid cows in this threadtomertr

LMAO, yep. They are a bunch of dogmatic individuals that think that the PS3 is some sort of Godsend. The Cell is an over-hyped piece of technology with bottlenecks around every corner of its architecture, and on the GPU side the 360 wins hands down thanks to its unified architecture. And to the fool that says that there is no information on the RSX, open your eyes, its not 2004, its 2007 and the beans have been spilled over one year ago.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

The lack of HDR+AA is where the Cell comes in. Ninja Theory said that they have HDR emulated on the Cell in Heavenly Sword, freeing up the RSX to do AA. Just the fact that the RSX ins't doing any HDR at all allows it to focus that power in other areas.

makingmusic476

No no, they don't use the Cell for HDR. They encode HDR information in their own format dubbed "NAO32", which uses CIE Luv color space.

So far the big use for the Cell that has been discussed (I don't think any current games use it yet) is for back-face culling of the geometry. Back-face culling is when you remove triangles that are facing away from the camera (since you can't see them), and its normally done on the GPU. Doing it on the Cell means the bad triangles never get sent to the GPU at all.

There's of course other ways you could use the Cell, but most of the obvious uses involve geometry pre-processing.
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts

I dont expect an answer in here. But I do expect some insults, fanboyism and at least one meltdown... *sits back with a bag of popcorn and a beer*

:shock:

Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts
[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

The lack of HDR+AA is where the Cell comes in. Ninja Theory said that they have HDR emulated on the Cell in Heavenly Sword, freeing up the RSX to do AA. Just the fact that the RSX ins't doing any HDR at all allows it to focus that power in other areas.

Teufelhuhn

No no, they don't use the Cell for HDR. They encode HDR information in their own format dubbed "NAO32", which uses CIE Luv color space.

Ah, okay. I must've misread it on their forums.

It's cool that we have people with actual programming experience on these boards. ^^

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
[QUOTE="daveg1"]

does anyone even know what level the cell can do graphics??? it could be stick men level or just hype for the chip for all we know..

some say the ps3 gpu is a gen behind the 360 one but i expect that only to be becasue of the unified stuff and not in how many polys it can push..

p.s. dont expect any real answer's to this question here from the fanboys....

try here..................http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=3

-Maddog-

Well apparently, the Cell can give the RSX a helping handing with textures and overall visuals..if needed...but god knows how much that boosts the graphics...I don't expect the 360 GPU to be all that powerfull over the PS3's since Most of the 360 games like Oblivion, Fight Night etc etc look better on the PS3....i'm asking if anyones knows exactly how much better. Cause i keep seeing this Unified shaderz the 360's GPU is built around is something SPECIAL. and your probably right, daveg.

Why mention only those 2? And they do not make up MOST of the 360 games

MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

I don't know, what kind of answer are you looking for here? They both have advantages and disadvantages, although the general consensus is that the Xenos has the edge due to the eDRAM and better vertex setup. But of course with the Cell thrown in there, everything is up in the air.

As always, the proof is in the pudding. The are no definite answers for these kinds of things, and in the end you just have to look at the exclusives since there's no benchmarks.
Teufelhuhn

Can you help explain the tessellation unit in the Xenos? Like what it does and how its only been in 1 game so far, being Viva Pinata.

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

360's GPU is better at antialiasing. And that's about all.Timstuff

You know little about Grapic Hardware and it shows. :| The 360 GPU is superior to the PS3's GPU and most Unbiased game devs already have said it is.

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts
[QUOTE="Innovazero2000"]

Yes it has higher bit HDR, but it can't do HDR+AA, at least no true floating point HDR. Shader based HDR is a very nice alternitive, but it's not as precise, and it takes power from the rest of the card.

Teufelhuhn

BS. FP-based HDR is no way "true HDR", its just the easiest and most convenient way of implementing it. Alternative formats like RGBe or NAO32 not only offer more precision than FP16, they also have the benefit of using less memory and bandwidth (which can make it a win, even considering the small hit you take from decoding the format in the shaders).

FP16 yes, FP32 and up...I call it a toss up. FP is most certain true HDR. I don't doubt memory/bandwidth...but as said, who takes the time to do it otherwise... and some aren't willing to take the hit in shader performance(if given the bandwidth), but it's relative to the card.

I'm don't know muxh about "RGBe", but I do know RGB is not very efficent with encoding HDR images...

Unless you'd like to shed light on something im missing...

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Teuf_

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]I don't know, what kind of answer are you looking for here? They both have advantages and disadvantages, although the general consensus is that the Xenos has the edge due to the eDRAM and better vertex setup. But of course with the Cell thrown in there, everything is up in the air.

As always, the proof is in the pudding. The are no definite answers for these kinds of things, and in the end you just have to look at the exclusives since there's no benchmarks.
MrGrimFandango

Can you help explain the tessellation unit in the Xenos? Like what it does and how its only been in 1 game so far, being Viva Pinata.

In very basic terms...a tesselation unit takes some very simple geometry thats been sent to the GPU, and then adds "extra" vertices. This can be done to make a very blocky surface smoother, or as a cool way to do displacement mapping (read data from a height tecture, then add vertices accordingly). They're very new (Xenos was first I heard of to have one, X2900 has one, no Nvidia cards have it), and on the PC they're not part of the DX or OpenGL API yet.

As for why devs don't use it...I don't really know. But I have heard is that to use the tesselator (or MEMEXPORT), you have can't use automatic tiling and have to handle the tiling yourself. Tiling is a technique where you render only one piece (tile) of the screen at a time, and its necessary for anti-aliasing on the Xenos. My guess would be that for most games the devs haven't found the tesselator useful enough to give up automatic tiling.

And just a side note...I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think that tesselation would be infeasible to handle on the Cell.
Art_424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Art_424
Member since 2004 • 1745 Posts
[QUOTE="-Maddog-"]

I know it has an advantage..since its custom built and uses the unified shaderz and what not, but how much more advanced is it over the PS3 nvidia GPU (RSX)? Also, Since Cell can help the RSX render graphics..does this equal to the 360's gpu and more?

Taz-Bone

4 times

FanboyAlert....thanks for your "opinion" and "Imagination"

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

The GPUs are almost identical in erms of processing power. In terms of how they're set up, AA is better on xbox 360, textures are better on PS3. The cell can theoretically help with graphics on hte RSX.

In reality, none of us are game developers, so we don't really know.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Teuf_

FP16 yes, FP32 and up...I call it a toss up. FP is most certain true HDR. I don't doubt memory/bandwidth...but as said, who takes the time to do it otherwise... and some aren't willing to take the hit in shader performance(if given the bandwidth), but it's relative to the card.

Innovazero2000

HDR is just a technique that requires you to store data past the range thats actually displayable by the GPU (usually referred in terms of the values 0.0 - 1.0). How that data is stored is irrelevent, there's no rule that says you have to store RGB floating-point values. It can make sense to use them in a lot of cases since shaders use this format internally and when your card supports MSAA for that format (say an X1950, for instance), but for the RSX where you have more shader power than bandwidth it doesn't make sense.

I'm don't know muxh about "RGBe", but I do know RGB is not very efficent with encoding HDR images...

Innovazero2000

RGBe is where you have a shared exponent, which means you have a fourth value representing an exponent that use to multiply with all the RGB channels. Its common for use in storing HDR image files.

And you're right about how RGB is inefficent for encoding HDR, and that extends to FP16 as well (its still RGB). With HDR you're really only concerned with dynamic levels of luminance (brightness), which is why luminance is one of the components in Ninja Theory's NAO32 scheme.
mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts

PS3 is better, the 360 is easy to dev for

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#64 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts
as usual, I have no idea what Teuf's talking about....but I feel smarter after reading it :P
Natural_Mystic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Natural_Mystic
Member since 2003 • 4117 Posts

no1 gonna read it? CossackNoodle
U R right. There is no need to read it anyway it's pure BS. some key points of BS are as follows:

Assertion 1: Xenos doesn't have Flex IO

Reality: Xenos tech is better it doesn't need Flex IO. The Xbox 360 has 512MB of shared memory, 10MB of embeaded DRAM and the 360 Operating System uses less memory than Sony's.

Assertion 2: Xenos doesn't have any DX10 features

Reality: Xenos supports all DX10 features except shader Model 4.0. However, the Xenos supports SM 3.0+++, which is pretty close to SM4.0 and the Xenos Shader functionality is more advanced the the RSX.

Assertion 3: Xenos Unified Shaders are primitive.

Reality: Any way you look at it the Xenos is generation ahead of the RSX, it's already more efficient than the RSX even in its early stage of development.

The rest appears to be copied word for word from a Nvidia press release.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Teuf_
as usual, I have no idea what Teuf's talking about....but I feel smarter after reading it :Pfuzzysquash

Indeed, you're all smarter by association. 8)

If you ever want basic explanations of anything, I'm always willing. We could have a tech education thread in GUFU! :P
akuma303x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 akuma303x
Member since 2004 • 3703 Posts

[QUOTE="CossackNoodle"]no1 gonna read it? Natural_Mystic

U R right. There is no need to read it anyway it's pure BS. some key points of BS are as follows:

Reality: Xenos tech is better it doesn't need Flex IO. The Xbox 360 has 512MB of shared memory, 10MB of embeaded DRAM and the 360 Operating System uses less memory than Sony's.

Reality: Xenos supports all DX10 features except shader Model 4.0. However, the Xenos supports SM 3.0+++, which is pretty close to SM4.0 and the Xenos Shader functionality is more advanced the the RSX.

Reality: Any way you look at it the Xenos is generation ahead of the RSX, it's all ready more efficient than the RSX even in it early stage of development.

The bottom line is all these guys come in here making post like they know something, and try to prove the PS3 is ssooooo much more powerful, and yet the 360 is kicking it's butt in every department. I think I know which is better. The 360, guess how I know? the games. The origional xbox killed the PS2 out of the gate. Im tired of just wait and see from sony fans. Ive waited long enough. If the PS3 was near as powerful as any cow claims, It would of been evident right out of the gate. But some sony fans mistaken more partical effects, or more solidiers onscreen as major graphical improvements. All awhile the xbox fans get the better looking games. just funny I thought.
akuma303x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 akuma303x
Member since 2004 • 3703 Posts

[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"]as usual, I have no idea what Teuf's talking about....but I feel smarter after reading it :PTeufelhuhn

If you ever want basic explanations of anything, I'm always willing. We could have a tech education thread in GUFU! :P

howstuffworks.com

amazing isnt it?

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Teuf_

Reality: Any way you look at it the Xenos is generation ahead of the RSX, it's already more efficient than the RSX even in its early stage of development.

Ahh...the old "fight BS with more BS" strategy...
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Teuf_

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"]as usual, I have no idea what Teuf's talking about....but I feel smarter after reading it :Pakuma303x

howstuffworks.com

amazing isnt it?

Yes, clearly I get all my information from that site.
Natural_Mystic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Natural_Mystic
Member since 2003 • 4117 Posts
[QUOTE="Natural_Mystic"]

[QUOTE="CossackNoodle"]no1 gonna read it? Teufelhuhn

:lol: too funny
_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts

does anyone even know what level the cell can do graphics??? it could be stick men level or just hype for the chip for all we know..

some say the ps3 gpu is a gen behind the 360 one but i expect that only to be becasue of the unified stuff and not in how many polys it can push..

daveg1

I guess you missed the Press Conference Sony had awhile back before the PS3 was even released. They demonstrated the Cell's graphics capabilities alone, and then Cell& RSX working together.Both examples were quite impressive, with the 2nd, of course being quite a bit better than the other. I'll see if I can find the video.
[QUOTE="daveg1"]

-Maddog-

Well apparently, the Cell can give the RSX a helping handing with textures and overall visuals..if needed...but god knows how much that boosts the graphics...I don't expect the 360 GPU to be all that powerfull over the PS3's since Most of the 360 games like Oblivion, Fight Night etc etc look better on the PS3....i'm asking if anyones knows exactly how much better. Cause i keep seeing this Unified shaderz the 360's GPU is built around is something SPECIAL. and your probably right, daveg.

According to alot of developers, the PS3's shader capabilities rival the 360's.
dracolich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 dracolich666
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts

The GPUs are almost identical in erms of processing power. In terms of how they're set up, AA is better on xbox 360, textures are better on PS3. The cell can theoretically help with graphics on hte RSX.

osirisomeomi

I have yet to see a PS3 game that has better textures then gears. Gears has a mix of 512x512 textures and 2048x2048 normal maps.

As for the GPUs, the 360s is a good 2x more powerful, but the CPU is VERY weak compared to the Cell. Pretty much makes them equal in power, but i have yet to see a game that looks better then gears of war. We will have to wait and see in 2-3 years for games to start showing the true power of either system.

And the GPU in the PS3 is a 7900GT @ 500Mhz, cept with 8 ROPs (8 less then the 79series) and half the bandwidth. It is a modified core, as i believe sound is done through the GPU, i dont know for sure tho.

_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="Natural_Mystic"]

:lol: too funny

Agreed! lol
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Teuf_

According to alot of developers, the PS3's shader capabilities rival the 360's._AsasN_

Most definitely. The RSX's weakness definitely isn't shader power. It's biggest problem is either its bandwidth or its vertex setup.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

think of the rsx as a 7600gt, think of the xenos as just less powerful as a x2900, thats more accurate because the rsx is NOT based in anyway of the 8 series architecture, however the xenos was build with the r600 architecture in mind but customised, i shall find a link to confirm the xenos part in one second

edit i cant be screwed to be honest, heres a nice comparison website for you http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

Kevanio

the xenos is a very very very slow hd 2900 without dx10 or many other features, it only has 15% of the shaders :lol: not te mention the slower clock speeds, the x360 is no match for the hd2900. then look at this the geforce 8800gts is about = with the hd2900 and the 8600 has 1/3 of the shaders which means it should run games better than the x360 and that card is cheap.the fact is the x360 is old tech and the only thing it has over ps3 is unified shaders but it fails to keep up with card such as a 7900gs.x1950pro with split vertex pixel shaders

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
[QUOTE="osirisomeomi"]

dracolich666

I have yet to see a PS3 game that has better textures then gears. Gears has a mix of 512x512 textures and 2048x2048 normal maps.

As for the GPUs, the 360s is a good 2x more powerful, but the CPU is VERY weak compared to the Cell. Pretty much makes them equal in power, but i have yet to see a game that looks better then gears of war. We will have to wait and see in 2-3 years for games to start showing the true power of either system.

And the GPU in the PS3 is a 7900GT @ 500Mhz, cept with 8 ROPs (8 less then the 79series) and half the bandwidth. It is a modified core, as i believe sound is done through the GPU, i dont know for sure tho.

512 x512 :lol: call of juraz on pc can run 2048x2048 through out the whole game. fear on pc leaves gears textures in the dust, not to mention the fact you can aso blow them to bits unlike gears staic textures.

Macolele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Macolele
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts
I agree Xenos is SLIGHTLY better than RSX. However, they can improve RSX up to 50% by a LITTLE Cell's power. After pass the tasks which Cell can perform 5 to 6 times faster than RSX. We have 3 times power that Xbox360 has.
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
ATI R500 = RSX 1.5- they can both do about the same but the R500 can do 4xAA for free & is a bit more powerful processing-wise.
CrazyIvanIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 CrazyIvanIV
Member since 2007 • 613 Posts
its better by 256 mb
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts

osirisomeomi

textures are better on ps3?... i don't think there is any proof of that yet. i hope textures will be better though

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#82 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
[QUOTE="daveg1"]

_AsasN_

I guess you missed the Press Conference Sony had awhile back before the PS3 was even released. They demonstrated the Cell's graphics capabilities alone, and then Cell& RSX working together.Both examples were quite impressive, with the 2nd, of course being quite a bit better than the other. I'll see if I can find the video.
[QUOTE="daveg1"]

-Maddog-

According to alot of developers, the PS3's shader capabilities rival the 360's.

dont even talk about what sony sadi at e3 05!! LOL!!!
OpticalCanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 OpticalCanine
Member since 2006 • 1938 Posts

why dont u look at the graphics comparison here at GameSpot vol 1 and 2. 360 has won both times, heres the latest one:

Link

Armored Core 4 - PS3

Def Jam Icon - 360

NBA street Homecourt - 360

Virtua Tennis 3 - 360

Oblivion - Ps3

Spiderman 3 - 360

MLB 2k7 - 360

PS3=2

360=5

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Innovazero2000
[QUOTE="Innovazero2000"]

Teufelhuhn

HDR is just a technique that requires you to store data past the range thats actually displayable by the GPU (usually referred in terms of the values 0.0 - 1.0). How that data is stored is irrelevent, there's no rule that says you have to store RGB floating-point values. It can make sense to use them in a lot of cases since shaders use this format internally and when your card supports MSAA for that format (say an X1950, for instance), but for the RSX where you have more shader power than bandwidth it doesn't make sense.

Innovazero2000

RGBe is where you have a shared exponent, which means you have a fourth value representing an exponent that use to multiply with all the RGB channels. Its common for use in storing HDR image files.

And you're right about how RGB is inefficent for encoding HDR, and that extends to FP16 as well (its still RGB). With HDR you're really only concerned with dynamic levels of luminance (brightness), which is why luminance is one of the components in Ninja Theory's NAO32 scheme.

ahh thank you, I don't mind learning new things so thank you for correcting me. Now that I think of it (as far as RSX having more shader power then bandwidth) FP HDR wouldn't make sense at all.

OblivionXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 OblivionXII
Member since 2007 • 349 Posts

why dont u look at the graphics comparison here at GameSpot vol 1 and 2. 360 has won both times, heres the latest one:

Link

Armored Core 4 - PS3

Def Jam Icon - 360

NBA street Homecourt - 360

Virtua Tennis 3 - 360

Oblivion - Ps3

Spiderman 3 - 360

MLB 2k7 - 360

PS3=2

360=5

OpticalCanine

If anything, this proves that the PS3 does have the power to be better than the 360 graphically. However, it's not really wise to calculate the power of a system based on multi-plats.

MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#86 MADVLAD123
Member since 2005 • 6053 Posts

By this much:

{-------------------------------------}

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Innovazero2000
[QUOTE="Kevanio"]

think of the rsx as a 7600gt, think of the xenos as just less powerful as a x2900, thats more accurate because the rsx is NOT based in anyway of the 8 series architecture, however the xenos was build with the r600 architecture in mind but customised, i shall find a link to confirm the xenos part in one second

edit i cant be screwed to be honest, heres a nice comparison website for you http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

imprezawrx500

the xenos is a very very very slow hd 2900 without dx10 or many other features, it only has 15% of the shaders :lol: not te mention the slower clock speeds, the x360 is no match for the hd2900. then look at this the geforce 8800gts is about = with the hd2900 and the 8600 has 1/3 of the shaders which means it should run games better than the x360 and that card is cheap.the fact is the x360 is old tech and the only thing it has over ps3 is unified shaders but it fails to keep up with card such as a 7900gs.x1950pro with split vertex pixel shaders

Considering it's based in that generation, why do you make it out to be bad? I'd take an 1800XT/XTX over a 7900gs any day of the week, and according to ATI Xenos is on level with 1800XT, but with more features/more shading power (@720p that is).

The RSX/Xenos are far from top of the lin anymore, but in a closed env. they don't have to push nearly as hard to look as good.

Don't get me started on the 8600 series, it's nowhere near what the 6600GT or GF3 Ti 200/GF4 4200 were in those days. I bet you the 8600 series struggles in DX10 games when trying to push decent detail. Is it a bad card, no...but it's clearly not as good as the older budget performance cards.

Course with the 8800GTS 320mb coming down in price fast...it might not matter...