How long do you want this gen to last??

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for XxXHottZeldaXxX
XxXHottZeldaXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XxXHottZeldaXxX
Member since 2009 • 243 Posts

I exclude the Wii because I think Nintendo will release a new HD console way before Microsoft and Sony skip ahead to next-gen...I personally want 5-6 more years because the games are still fun and i don't think we need any new tech...Natal and Move are good enough to keep it fresh

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

like 2 more years is all.

TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TecmoGirl
Member since 2007 • 3965 Posts

I'd be happy with another 3 to 4 more years; There are still way too many games I haven't played this gen.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#4 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

I would like to see the next-gen Nintendo and MS systems in 2012, and the PS4 in 2013.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Doesn't matter to me. Once the 3DS launches I'm sure I'll be done with consoles.

unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts

I'm hoping 8th generation systems will start shipping out in the holiday season of 2013, maybe 2012.

That being said, I hope this generation continues long after the new systems are out. Kind of like how the 6th gen is still going on even if we are probably at least half way through the 7th.

XxXHottZeldaXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XxXHottZeldaXxX

I'd be happy with another 3 to 4 more years; There are still way too many games I haven't played this gen.

TecmoGirl
This too...there's no way everybody has played every worthwhile game this gen...hell theres no way nobody played every worthwhile game last gen on all 3 consoles...i still need to buy a PS3 and play Shadow of Colossus and the God of War series
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

FOREVER!

Consoles have good enough technology, so I rather save money to buy games rather than upgrading something that doesn't need one.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
With HD, games can look pretty damn good. I hope the Wii updates to an HD console by 2012, but the PS3/360 can go another 5 years as far as I'm concerned, let us keep our money for another gen's worth of time please. :P Many developers have still YET to move into this generation due to costs, experiance, etc, so I'd rather them not move so fast that these devs fall behind forever.. give them time to catch up, even if it takes another generation worth of time.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

2-3 years.

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
2012-2013 sounds good.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 110million
Oh also, if SE had this much trouble moving into this gen and still left out so many features from FFXIII, i want them to have enough time to make a proper, fully featured FF in this gen, and not jump into next-gen with a game of even less features..
AmateurCEO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AmateurCEO
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Hardware upgrades are inevitable and desirable (I'm glad we're not still playing with PS One graphics), but I hope Sony and Microsoft hold off on another platform until at least 2012. Somehow I feel like the consumers would benefit most from keeping the 360 and PS3 as primary platforms for a while.
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts
1-2 years. I'd love to see a huge step up in technology, so we can make games that not only have amazing graphics, but run the game flawlessly. You know what I'm talking about, those games with amazing graphics and physics that just completely neglect other more important aspects of a game. Graphics and physics are fine as they are, but a step up in technology to get every single game running more smoothly would be fantastic.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

7-10 years. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to buy new stuff.

Gundamforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gundamforce
Member since 2005 • 1222 Posts

I predict around Holiday 2012 we should see the first console of the next generation.

DumbDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DumbDubya
Member since 2009 • 668 Posts

The longer you wait this gen, the more massive the update will be next gen. So I think waiting at least 3 more years would be good. This way, next gen will be SUPER HD 3-D motion control High processing, graphical superior Digital Download bonanaza for better or worse.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 oldkingallant
What is it with people saying they think it's gonna go for so long. You're dreaming, releasing a new console is a surefire way to sell a ton more consoles and make more money, the goal of a company. Why would this generation be any different from the others that lasted 4 or 5 years? I expect a new console end of 2011.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#19 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Whatever happened to "XBOX 360 and PS3 sticking around until 2015?"
gugler990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gugler990
Member since 2010 • 2009 Posts

2014-2015

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 110million
[QUOTE="oldkingallant"]What is it with people saying they think it's gonna go for so long. You're dreaming, releasing a new console is a surefire way to sell a ton more consoles and make more money, the goal of a company. Why would this generation be any different from the others that lasted 4 or 5 years? I expect a new console end of 2011.

XBOX was like what, 4 years? The 360 is going to hit 5 years soon with no mention of new console...
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 oldkingallant

7-10 years. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to buy new stuff.

SgtKevali
So a year before the Playstation 2 came out, were you praying there wouldn't be an upgrade from the original PSX? Every generation people look at the graphics and say they are good enough, then 5 years later the new amazing looking game comes out and looks better than ever and runs smoothly and people are glad they now have the tech to do this. This will happen again, we will look 5 years back, and look at games like Uncharted 2 and say "Man I'm glad we moved past that."
XxXHottZeldaXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 XxXHottZeldaXxX
[QUOTE="oldkingallant"]What is it with people saying they think it's gonna go for so long. You're dreaming, releasing a new console is a surefire way to sell a ton more consoles and make more money, the goal of a company. Why would this generation be any different from the others that lasted 4 or 5 years? I expect a new console end of 2011.

Nothing is more expensive or a bigger risk for a company than releasing a new console...while Nintendo has been making money since day one off of the Wii, the 360 and PS3 just started turning a dollar off every console sold
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

end of 2011 plz.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

The longer you wait this gen, the more massive the update will be next gen. So I think waiting at least 3 more years would be good. This way, next gen will be SUPER HD 3-D motion control High processing, graphical superior Digital Download bonanaza for better or worse.

DumbDubya

And the death of small developers.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#26 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I don't really care. I expect it to last for another 3-4 years. We'll at least hear about the next gen console by then.
AmateurCEO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmateurCEO
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
You're dreaming, releasing a new console is a surefire way to sell a ton more consoles and make more money, the goal of a company. Why would this generation be any different from the others that lasted 4 or 5 years?oldkingallant
Well return on investment would be one reason. Sony dominated with the PS2. Do we even know if PS3 has been profitable for them yet? And Microsoft's RROD thing has cost them quite a lot. So the longer that they are able to keep their current platforms viable, the better the return on investment (or the smaller the loss). I'd be surprised if new consoles any time soon would be beneficial financially for MS or Sony. I bet it's fears of what the other company is up to that drives plans for new hardware sooner than consumer demand.
NemeSyS-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 NemeSyS-1
Member since 2009 • 464 Posts

I don't see either Sony or MS doing anything new console wise for atleast another 3 or 4 years. I think that by E3 2011 we may here some rumblings from either or both companies, but Id say it will be atleast Fall 2012 before any new system from either company will hit retail shelves and maybe longer than that. Both systems are still extremely capable of pumping out games with fantastic visuals, sound and stories.

Now Nintendo on the other hand Imo will have a new console much sooner. I'd be willing to bet that they launch either a HDWii or a whole new console by Holidays 2011 or early 2012. Nintendo whether they want to admit it or not just doesn't have what it takes as far as mass appeal with the Wii. Why should Wii owners be subject to lackluster ports of games that are obviously vastly superior on their competitions systems. Nintendo needs to step up and rediscover games like Eternal Darkness, Star Fox Adventures, StarWars Rogue Leader, Pikmin and others that made the Gamecube a better all around console than the Wii.

I for one am hoping for another 3 or 4 years simply because new consoles are too expensive and there isn't a real reason to move on just yet.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
I would like to play Nintendo games in HD so it can end whenever.
JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts

I hope the new generation doesnt come in atleast 3-4 more years.Im still loving my Xbox 360

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

I hate how last gen hardware potential was not nearly reached and external factors made everyone jump to the next gen. Consoles if properly made should last longer than 5 years.

bandicoot89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bandicoot89
Member since 2009 • 437 Posts

they should announce the new consoles this year at E3. I want technology to progress fast

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

they should announce the new consoles this year at E3. I want technology to progress fast

bandicoot89
Then you will never get consoles that maximize their potential, we will always be playing catch up. This isn't PC hardware were talking about.
Rai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rai
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts

2015 sounds good.

Maybe 2014 at the earliest...

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

I picked 1 to 2 year on one hand it would be nice if it lasted longer so i wouldn't have to ugprade but i'm itching for a large graphics jump i'd rather not have to wait longer then that for it to happen.

mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mD-
Member since 2005 • 4314 Posts

I want to punch those who are saying 1-2 years. Full feature consoles are still about $300. Shame on you graphic whores.

psyko0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 psyko0815
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

As long as possible.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#38 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
Will see come e3 2010. I want new consoles now. So the big tech can come out. All the while they support the current consoles for 4 more years while I watched the ps4 come down in price. There are games from 2007 I still have not played.
C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
2-3 years
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

[QUOTE="DumbDubya"]

treedoor

And the death of small developers.

There's always the PC.

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

With HD, games can look pretty damn good. I hope the Wii updates to an HD console by 2012, but the PS3/360 can go another 5 years as far as I'm concerned, let us keep our money for another gen's worth of time please. :P Many developers have still YET to move into this generation due to costs, experiance, etc, so I'd rather them not move so fast that these devs fall behind forever.. give them time to catch up, even if it takes another generation worth of time. 110million

Microsoft I see as the first out the gate AGAIN. Why? because they are losing ground to PS3 fast around the world and just holding ground here in the U.S. So another early launch would help the early sell to people ready to buy a next gen console. Also, PC has DirectX 11 and I see MS wanting all developers using the same MS products. Xbox has been hacked and as Sony has not yet been Hacked I am sure MS would like a more secure console. In addition, Natal takes at least 10%+ of the CPU to use and Xbox 360 which has been easy to develop for has reached its 90% power usage sure more tweeking of the code will bring out more from the console but its now drops better. 2011 -2012 is the time I see the third Xbox coming out.

For Wii, well it is selling to a low cost casual gamer, and it is doing well. Unless they have someting new I do not see another Wii until 2014. I see more games and new direction for Wii. Fitness, FUN and retro gaming, is the core now. I see Multi player games coming. 4 people games off line and 4-12 player games online.

Sony's PS3 I see lasting a long time. Sony has lost money with the PS3 and lots of people from the PS2 have yet to upgrade, while Many people just got their PS3 SLIM, Sales are up and only getting better. PS3 is just gotten to a point where people know how to program for it. The tools are still being tweeked with to make the games look better.

There is a long way to go till everything is running on all SPUs with effecient code.(ND with UC2 has just gotten all the SPUs to work)Also, PS3will do 3D and has yet to launch the MOVE controller. Also, Sony seems to have a console that is just not worth hakcingdue to the cost or will take a while before it can be hacked either way its still a secure console.

Sony is working on the next Cell or lookingfor a replacement and there is a lot to look at. Also plenty is happening on the GPU side. Either PowerVR with Sony or Again with Nvidiaor ATI. Ithink nottill2014 at the earlist and 2016 at the latest, I am sure PS2 is showing that a console can sell for years. And as BluRay has not cought on as fast as DVD around the world I am sure Sony would like to make some more money from that licence.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
IMO keep this gen going as long as possible, and focus on new games, I'm sick of the ME TOO!! games that copy all the good games. If we start another gen too soon the dev costs will rise and they won't take chances,
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

3 more years, in november.

dolph1073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dolph1073
Member since 2004 • 204 Posts
the PS3 can easily last forever, with godly updates like 3d gaming making other consoles obsolete
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#45 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

3-4 more years would be perfect. I don't really see a point in moving to the next generation yet with all high quality games still releasing. Heck, there are still many people buying Wiis, 360s, and PS3s today.

forza420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 forza420
Member since 2010 • 1225 Posts
as long as it can.. i didnt invest all that money in my consoles just to have the next gen systems debut in the next couple of years
Tauu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tauu
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts

lol @ people saying Nintendo will come out with a HD console soon. Have you forgotten that Nintendo is enjoying a huge installed base this gen and is selling a ton of games? Nintendo is no longer involved in the graphics arms race and they have absolutely no reason to jump ship on this gen.

Microsoft and Sony have grown weary of the graphics arms race and they want nothing more than to give it a rest for a while and actually make some money. That's what companies strive to do. Developers are just now getting into the zone and are pumping out some great games lately. We wouldn't want them to have to stop and retool their studios and build new engines all over again while porting games built for this gen to next gen would you?

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

2014-2016. I don't want to upgrade any time soon :P

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#49 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

Really just gonna have to be 3 to 4 more years for me because I won't be able to make a large purchase anytime soon.

Karnage108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Karnage108
Member since 2010 • 2595 Posts
2-3 more years. So end of 2012 would be close to 2 1/2.