How important, exactly, is music to you?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

You know, people love to argue about video games' graphics (resolution wars, frame rate wars, and so on and so forth), and we see a lot of discussion about a game's story, or its controls and overall level design and so on... but what might in fact be one of the most important elements of game design (and in my opinion, arguably a whole lot more important than graphics) is very rarely discussed- a game's music and soundtrack.

You see, I have often found that games can be made or broken by their music- Metroid Prime Hunters' change in music direction from Prime 1 and 2 contributed to it not feeling as eerie and isolated as the first two games, and contributed to the dramatic decline in quality that it suffered. On the other hand, the sheer greatness of the soundtrack in The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks or The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword made me keep on playing the games through to the end, even when it became clear the games themselves were irredeemably shitty.

Music, I feel, is very important. It is what actually adds weight to the punches that a video game pulls. The final boss battle in A Link Between Worlds, Pokemon Gold/Silver, God of War II, or Final Fantasy IV wouldn't hit as hard if it didn't have the incredible music accompanying it. The game world of Dark Souls, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Assassin's Creed II, or The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim wouldn't have half the impact if the accompanying music wasn't so great. The story of Persona 4 wouldn't hit home as hard if the music wasn's as amazing as it is.

Music is very powerful- and I feel it is even more powerful in a medium as engaging and interactive as video games. Usually, people don't seem to give video game music the credit that it deserves, so let's have this thread as an appreciation for good video game music, and all that it can achieve. And let's also try to have some discourse about how important we all personally think music is to a video game's success.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

al to

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Music is one of the most important things...in any entertainment form that involves music. It helps with the atmosphere tremendously. A good video game can be good without good music. But an exceptional and memorable video game needs exceptional and memorable music.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I turn it off. I prefer to hear the game sounds.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I turn it off. I prefer to hear the game sounds.

Usually I do the same... unless the game has a good soundtrack, and really adds to the experience (like in Deus Ex HR).

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I good soundtrack is very important to me and can almost make or break the experience depending on its quality.

I love what Nintendo has been doing with their soundtracks lately.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21702 Posts

It's very important to me, because the soundtrack can raise a game from being great to truly memorable. Pretty much all of my favorite games have phenomenal music that I listen to even when I'm not playing the games they're from.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#8 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

Pretty much the most important thing closely followed by sound and voice acting (if the game has any). My imagination can fill in the blanks when it comes to visuals, but I can't say the same for sound. Too bad developers know that most people only have those shitty "gaming headsets" or only have sound through their TV's speakers, so they often don't really bother doing something actually good.

Max Payne 3 is a gem when it comes to audio and music. Pure perfection.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#9 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

If it's great, very. Nier wouldn't be the same game if it had a generic video game soundtrack.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

i play all games on mute, the music/sound breaks immersion

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Music and OSTs will never make me purchase a game(except for Eternal Sonata) but they can make a game far more memorable than it otherwise would have been.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spartan070

@ghostwarrior786 said:

i play all games on mute, the music/sound breaks immersion

WAH? In some games it adds to the immersion 10x fold, Metroid Prime? Halo saga? Diablo II? Castlevania saga?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#13 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts
Loading Video...

This video.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

One of the most important parts of the game.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Atmosphere, which the soundtrack is a big part of, is extremely important. It can make an average game great, and it can make a would-be great game feel "meh."

Music is one of the most emotionally evocative art forms there is, so it has an important place in anything that tries to make you feel something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

It depends on the type of game for me, but I think music can be very important. Especially in RPGs. I have so many Final Fantasy mp3's on my PC as they are some of the best.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

Was confused initially by thread title - hence why you should always read (i.e. skim) the OP.

Game music is essential - a game can be drastically more immersive and profound (or the opposite) based on quality sound design.

What I had originally thought is whether "non-soundtrack" music from the game being played is a necessary feature. For me, not really, but then again I recall a number of times where I've completely turned off a game's audio and just blasted some of the good stuff from my iPhone.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I have never felt more like a hero in a video game than on the last level in Halo 4 facing off against countless Knights, racing to stop the Didact. This moment was made in large part due to the song "Arrival." In fact, Neil Davidge's work on Halo 4 has easily been some of my favorite in the industry.

The final moments in Journey were some of the most beautiful I've experienced in this medium, reaching the heights because of Austin Wintroy's song "Apotheosis." Again, this OST is one of the best I've heard.

I can't remember what year it was, but a couple years back I went to the Final Fantasy: Distant Worlds concert. Saw Nobuo Uematsu himself and experienced so many melodies that have helped create the memories I hold close.

Music and sound design are such an important factor. It's what captures the magic of Kingdom Hearts, the atmosphere of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, the fun in Persona 4 Golden and the incredible journey of Chrono Trigger. Music can make a game a timeless masterpiece.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Music is pretty important to me games with a great sound tracks are the ones I tend to remember the most.

Loading Video...

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Spartan070

@Zassimick said:

I have never felt more like a hero in a video game than on the last level in Halo 4 facing off against countless Knights, racing to stop the Didact. This moment was made in large part due to the song "Arrival." In fact, Neil Davidge's work on Halo 4 has easily been some of my favorite in the industry.

The final moments in Journey were some of the most beautiful I've experienced in this medium, reaching the heights because of Austin Wintroy's song "Apotheosis." Again, this OST is one of the best I've heard.

I can't remember what year it was, but a couple years back I went to the Final Fantasy: Distant Worlds concert. Saw Nobuo Uematsu himself and experienced so many melodies that have helped create the memories I hold close.

Music and sound design are such an important factor. It's what captures the magic of Kingdom Hearts, the atmosphere of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, the fun in Persona 4 Golden and the incredible journey of Chrono Trigger. Music can make a game a timeless masterpiece.

This post is full of so many feels, great examples. Neil stepped into some massive shoes Marty left behind and did a fantastic job.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Very little. I'm very indifferent towards Videogame music.

I have my favorites, and I can easily identify the stuff I think handles it's soundtrack better than the rest, but all in all it always comes down to one thing: Do I enjoy playing the game.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

today I was looking for some JRPG from the Snes era to play but most of the ones I found looked fun but the music was so bad I ended up playing FFIV because even though it looked like shit at least the music was good.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@charizard1605: You know my buddy Robbie and I agree. Halo's music was always one of the best parts of the games imo. And MGR had music that so complimented the frenzied combat, especially on harder difficulties. My buddy has even gone to orchestral concerts at Madison Square Garden that were focused on a night of gaming music!! Great thread and points Char

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Its not make or break for me.Some sticks and some doesint but its never a gamechanger for me.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:
Loading Video...

This video.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#26 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

When I play Guitar Hero, I mute the game.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

The most important aspect of a video game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I enjoy lots of video game music but I cant think of a time it ruined the experience for me

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Its one of those things that isn't a HUGE deal. But when it's GOOD, like REALLY GOOD, it really makes the game that much better. Yeah, Zelda would still be Zelda, but think about how many killer theme songs it has, that just make it so much better. Why? Because they are singable. The Singable nintendo melodies have made those games unforgettable. Mario would still be Mario, but that melody is what makes it that much better.

Does that make sense? What Im saying is, if the music is meh, it's not a huge deal, but if it's good, it really ups the game.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Spartan070

@princessgomez92 said:

Skill level = BOSS

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#31  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Also: these big, bloated orchestral video game scores of the 2000's have done nothing but hold video game music back. They are so shitty. Call of duty, battlefield, Gears, you name it. These AAA games have horrible soundtracks. Terrible. Why? Because they aren't singable. These themes suck total ass hole.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 10854
Member since 2014 • 116 Posts

I can't say exactly since the enjoyment of music as with other art forms is a highly subjective one, and therefore abstract.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I enjoy and appreciate really good videogame music but it's different for each game. Something like Journey is absolutely lost without its music, it's literally shit without its music. But something like the souls games, while having great music isn't really changed a whole lot without it. Boss fights would be kinda weird without it but the music isn't that important despite being really good

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#34 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@Spartan070 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Skill level = BOSS

I'm surrounded by casuals.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@Sweenix said:

That's a load of crap and you know it. Just think about what it is you're actually saying.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Spartan070

@princessgomez92 said:

@Spartan070 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Skill level = BOSS

I'm surrounded by casuals.

I've never even played Guitar Hero unless you mean a beat down Joe Satriani Ibanez at a friends birthday party 14 years ago...

GameMediator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GameMediator
Member since 2014 • 75 Posts

Very important. The OST in DK tropical freeze is amazing... its not wonder gamespot reviewed that game 6/10, they didn't even touch on the audio, biased mofos.

Anyway, just re-listening to a few songs in that game brings me back to my childhood of playing donkey kong country 2 on SNES.

Music psychologically triggers thoughts and emotions that enhance the atmosphere in a game. For example, being spotted in a Metal Gear Solid game and that awesome alert track starts playing. Snake Eater had some awesome tracks, the caution one in the jungle just made me wanna stalk my enemies and crawl through the grass all cool and stuff lol.

Oh, while I was playing pokemon X.. my friend told me to turn down the audio... we got into an argument lol... point is, music matters more than what most people think... I say music>graphics.

The new killer instinct track title screen gets you right amped up for a fight.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts
@seanmcloughlin said:

@Sweenix said:

That's a load of crap and you know it. Just think about what it is you're actually saying.

No it's not. A musical score is supposed to set the mood, a sad event or a heroic event in a video game is nothing with out the OST to back it up.

I wouldn't have even liked final fantasy ix half as much, if it wasn't for the OST

For me it's. OST > Gameplay > Story > The Rest.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Spartan070

@gamemediator said:

Very important. The OST in DK tropical freeze is amazing... its not wonder gamespot reviewed that game 6/10, they didn't even touch on the audio, biased mofos.

Anyway, just re-listening to a few songs in that game brings me back to my childhood of playing donkey kong country 2 on SNES.

Music psychologically triggers thoughts and emotions that enhance the atmosphere in a game. For example, being spotted in a Metal Gear Solid game and that awesome alert track starts playing. Snake Eater had some awesome tracks, the caution one in the jungle just made me wanna stalk my enemies and crawl through the grass all cool and stuff lol.

Oh, while I was playing pokemon X.. my friend told me to turn down the audio... we got into an argument lol... point is, music matters more than what most people think... I say music>graphics.

The new killer instinct track title screen gets you right amped up for a fight.

That entire OST is GODLIKE, Mick Gordon did a helluva job. Fav track right here.

Loading Video...

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's not a deal breaker, but video game music can make a game much more enjoyable.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Music can make the difference.

The best example l can think of is Wind Waker.. l really love that game, but without that soundtrack.. l don't think its the same experience, or end up nearly as well as it did. l think the atmosphere the music and graphics create smooth over a lot of the issues that it has and make the flaws less apparent.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

It's ONE of the most important elements in the game, but not THE most important, imho. Also, it depends on the genre.

I turn it off in sports games, but music is crucial when I play RPG games, and also some action games. For example, music was one of the best elements in GTA games, Mafia, LA Noire and Max Payne.

Loading Video...

This game just wouldn't be the same without this soundtrack.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

In single player games ya music is a must and one of the most important things. Even not much of it like the last of us did is even great when it adds atmosphere and tension. The games that stick out the most and come back to mind again and again are the ones that on top of it all had that mind blowing soundtrack.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Sound design and music are two criminally underrated elements as far as importance goes. Most games would suffer with bad sound design or inappropriate music.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

There are some games I turn the music off completely and it makes you more effective like in certain shooters. And it sports games I turn off the music and commentary. If I'm playing Fifa or Fight Night, I don't want that shit when I'm playing.

As good as the music is in Ace Combat, I don't have that on when I'm playing either. You'll be surprised at what games are like when you turn certain things like that off. Same in certain racing games. I get a bit more focus.

Try it with the Crysis games, your just hearing the environment. It's better imo.

Other games sure I leave it on.

I've found that environmental sounds can be just as powerful, but can be buried by music.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'd say music and sound are both pretty important things to enhance the mood. Enhance the mood and atmosphere in a game, it will leave more of an impact, and become more memorable.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Considering I've been to Video Games Live Concerts(AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!) twice in my life, including once earlier this year, I can easily say that music is very vital part of the gaming experience.

Orchestral Symphony Music from Metal Gear Solid 2/3, Shadow of the Colossus, Kingdom Hearts, Streetfighter, Zelda (various), World of Warcraft, Castlevania, Megaman, Starcraft, Halo, Mario, Earthworm Jim, Final Fantasy (Various), and so many more. It's like a Rock Concert mixed with Orchestra and Video games...it sounds grand live. I met Tommy Tallarico, got two CDs signed, one Blu-ray signed, and I had a blast both times. Highly recommended for game sound track lovers if you ever live somewhere where they visit as they tour the world.

Loading Video...

Audio in general is huge in my home.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

VERY IMPORTANT! i can buy a game mainly for its music