How do you feel about Early Access/Live Service?

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll How do you feel about Early Access/Live Service? (21 votes)

Love Early Access 29%
Hate Early Access 33%
Indifferent to Early Access 33%
Love Live Service 0%
Hate Live Service 38%
Indifferent to Live Service 19%

I know these topics aren't one to one, but they do have some overlap to some degree.

I'm of multiple minds on the matter, but would probably lean towards it being harmful to the quality and freshness of our current gaming landscape. On one hand it rewards underdeveloped ideas, while charging the public money to fix your game. But on the other hand it allows players to be a part of the creation process, and gives some games the chance to eventually blossom into something worthwhile.

Some games seem to get better over time with this style (No Man's Sky, Siege, Fallout 76), but is it reasonable to ask your paying customers to help fix your mess? If a good game appears eventually, do the ends justify the means?

It just seems like too much of a crutch to be able to release something incomplete, and for that to be acceptable. But maybe games are just too big and complex to do it any other way. But in what other industry is this acceptable? If there's a band-aid in your Southwest Chicken Bowl from Chipotle, you don't just eat around it. If the new Marvel movie sucks (like they all do) you don't expect them to re-edit it just for you. Well... they did that Snyder cut nonsense, but I assume both versions were forgettable; I dunno, I didn't bother watching it. But either way, did any of that BS yield a movie worthy of remembrance? I personally miss when a new game was either good...or it wasn't.

But what do you guys think?

• 
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

I don't have anything against live services. Most suck though. When they work they're fine. They're always going to be adding content to these services so if you think that constitutes getting an incomplete game then no point trying to convince those people that's not how I see it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

I usually skip Early Access games, there is no telling if and when they'll get done. But I have bought in once or twice, I still don't play them though: I wait for the full experience. Let's see: I bought Maximum Action, Get to the Orange Door and Wrath Aeon of Ruin. All three are unique singleplayer FPS games.

As for Live Service, it's great in theory. And for some games it has made a great game even better. I just can't think of many examples.

Games that aren't popular enough get their live service cut short. Again, you are just buying into something based of a promise.

Anthem is a prime example. I don't think its live service lasted even 2 months.

Battlefield V's was cut short because it wasn't popular enough

Assassin's Creed's live service is just repeated content... Imagine that, in a Ubisoft game of all things!

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Based on previous live services like Anthem and Avengers? Not a fan.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Well, obviously, I love both when they are done well and hate both when they aren't.

I really don't like the idea that early access or live service has to be either good or bad. That is not representative of the reality where each project should be evaluated case-by-case.

Want to know if a project will screw you over and leave you hanging? Look no further than to see if there is a major publisher behind it.

I can think of plenty early access games that have been very successful and appreciated by the community. Some of my favorite games.

Crowd-funding is the dream. If a game I am interested in can be funded without the shadow of a major publisher over it, and the people working on it are adept at communication with their backers.... Well that's just the dream. Factorio is a perfect example.

Having said that: I think early access is disingenuous when done at the AAA level. Likewise, I expect a triple-A live service to be designed with malice towards the targeted customers.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

Early access is awesome and something Xbox does very well. I wish that SONY would get more on board with those games still in development. Sure, they are often times incomplete train wrecks, but that is also what makes them enticing to a certain extent. Especially early on before they are completely overran with cheaters. It's all part of the charm. Getting to play the games the way they were supposed to be played before all the kids cry and everything feels watered down and samey.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

I generally like early access games, especially indie titles. It's fun watching a game get built as you are playing it, providing feedback, and things of that nature. It's been very rewarding playing Star Citizen, to name a game people love to hate, and seeing how far it has come. Every new build adds features, ships, and gameplay changes/additions.

Of course there's always the risk of the game either not being complete, but that hasn't happened to me yet. Except for Godus. Damn you, Molyneux.

As for "live service", it depends. I've been played MMO's for the better part of two decades now and those are technically live service games, and for the most part my MMO experiences (especially with WoW) have been excellent. On the other hand, I don't like live service models in games I feel don't benefit from it, like shooters and other singleplayer games. Give me one reason why a game like Assassin's Creed benefits from a "live service" approach? Just give me the g ame and piss off.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

I like early access hate live service

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58964 Posts

Fine as long as it's not some shitty scam job just to selling unfinished game or selling DLC when it's not finished.

Alongside being reasonably discounted, as you're helping them, not them you, an at least playable state and actually used for what it's intended to be used for.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#10 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I feel pretty indifferent about them. I play a game when I can and want to play it, that's that.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I like EA, I get the game for cheaper and don't have to play it till its done. I don't pre-order or buy EA from devs iv never heard of and only games i know ill like such as Arma III and Below Zero - so its been good for me so far.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

No issues with a dev having early access I am just not interested in paying to beta test a game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56104 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Fine as long as it's not some shitty scam job just to selling unfinished game or selling DLC when it's not finished.

Alongside being reasonably discounted, as you're helping them, not them you, an at least playable state and actually used for what it's intended to be used for.

Cloud Imperium needs your wisdom Cup🙏

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

I'm not a fan of either generally.

Early access is just an excuse to get money in early by selling barely functional and incomplete product. There isn't even any guarantee that the devs will finish it. i mean for a SP game for example: you buy the early access, you play it in its buggy state with all the warts. you eventually finish it (when all the content is eventually released....hopefully)...and your done. game finished in its beta state. anyone who buys it after you will have a better experience as they will end up with the finished article. meanwhile your memories are of bugs and reporting issues and providing feedback. i'm not 100% against devs looking for feedback but it should be done through back channels and in limited numbers (and ideally targeted at those more interested in testing a game than playing a game). it shouldn't be available to the general public.

The only exception would be for E-Sports type games. these are a bit different as, when done correctly, these are more akin to a sport than an artistic/craftmanship endeavour. the game rules need to be properly validated (cutting out exploits, consistency in controls, balanced weapons/buffs etc.). the integrity of the network code needs to be made as robust as possible. even then it should be targets at e-sports vets (especially those who intend to take part in tournaments using the game in question) rather than the general public.

as for games as a service: not a fan. i prefer single player games and games as a service are not great for such games. i just want to be able to buy a game with a good amount of content and thats fun, then buy more content whenever suits. i done want to subscribe to anything. i dont want to see an in game store. i dont want to be walled into some vertically integrated service crap.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I'm all for early access if it's playable and has enough features to get me interested. Lost a lot of hours in Software Inc. Amazing game.

I'm also all for live service games if they're done right. Played The Division 1 & 2. Great games. And I'm looking forward to Diablo 4.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Don't have any strong feelings about it. I usually avoid early access games, because I don't want to pay for something unfinished and unknown when finished. Or be bored with the game before release.

But there's some stuff that I got, like Valheim. An ugly little game, pretty packed with content already, for a very small price. Great with friends, many hours of fun to be had. I'm down.

Live service games? I think I play some today, so I'm cool with those. But again, within reason.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#17 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, Early Access games aren't released until they hit 1.0 and leave Early Access. Aside from that, it's just another way to develop games. Some games I've really enjoyed have been through Early Access.

Live service is just a reality I've come to live with. Some do it right, most don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I typically avoid early access games and live service games. For early access games, I'll go the contractor route. You get paid when the job/product is done. not before. For live service games, as soon as I hear it's live service, I tend to tune it out. They just aren't worth the time investment for me. Some of them have been good, but I could enjoy playing 4 great single player games to completion in the time I put into grinding RND for gear that won't even be applicable when the next DLC pack drops. The time investment and recycled gameplay loops kill the joy for me and I'd rather just play a game that has a cohesive beginning, middle and end.