How did SONY loose the gaming crown?

• 181 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Sony never lost the gaming crown, they are still number 1 in the console world when it comes to games and quality. In terms of sales they are neck and neck with the 360, most games sell around the same on both, so there isn't a wide margin. But the PS3 still beats it in graphics, free online, cost (it's cheaper), blu ray, and exclusives. Overall the PS3 is the superior system.

But to answer your question, Sony made the PS3 really powerful which is part of the reason why it was so expensive at launch. A lot of people couldn't afford a PS3 so the went with 360 instead, a lot of 360 only owners had a PS2 last gen.

They only went with 360 this gen because their mommy and daddy wouldn't buy a PS3, or they were adults with lower income levels and could not afford one. So you see, they don't really like 360 more, they don't have a preference, they never got to choose.

So now they are all jealous of the PS3, that's why they are so angry all the time. They all want one, but they won't buy a PS3 because they can't afford a second console. So they have to try and down play it so they won't feel insecure about their console anymore.

themajormayor

You really are dlusional. Fact is, the PS3 is in third place in numerous areas. In sales, software sales AND quantity of quality games, it gets beat by the 360. Not to mention its aging UI, regurgitated controller and inferior online, its just not as appealing as the PS2 and PS1 were. The 360 has it beat.

Depends. Irrelevant in any case.

Proof?

You honestly think PS3 games sell in more quantities than 360 games? Is that even a serious question or have you been locked up in a basement for the past 6 years? :|
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]But 360 has no games so that's fallacious reasoningclone01
Wow, you're not even a decent troll, pathetic fanboy. Pretty sure the Halo, Gears, and Forza franchises actually count as games. And don't forget XBLA and these things called "multiplats." What's it like to center your miserable sense of self worth around a piece of plastic? But keep trying, you'll reach that golden troll fanboy ring someday.

LOL here comes the mentioning of Halo/Gears/Forza again, I'm so glad i got rid of my useless 360

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#103 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

$600 happened. Shot themselves in the foot right from the get-go.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

In most races with a staggered start, those who start out first usually have a handicap relative to those who started out later.

Since the 360 had a 1 year head start, what were the 360's first year sales? If we subtract the 360's first year sales from the 360 total sales, that would leave sales for the 360 from the second year to the present and match the time the PS3 had been out. Would the numbers for both be equal or would the 360 or PS3 be ahead?

Edit:

Of course, if we apply the same handicap to the Wii, then the Wii is really much farther ahead than it seems.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

You really are dlusional. Fact is, the PS3 is in third place in numerous areas. In sales, software sales AND quantity of quality games, it gets beat by the 360. Not to mention its aging UI, regurgitated controller and inferior online, its just not as appealing as the PS2 and PS1 were. The 360 has it beat.

PAL360

Proof?

Its not needed. Every place where you look for full lists show more games on 360. Why dont you prove him wrong?

I have yet to see a full list. Using fallacious lem logic though I've found lists pointing to the opposite. If you'd understand how burden of proof works you wouldn't ask such a silly question.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

The competition got better and Sony made several mistakes. The cost of 7th gen development increased to the point where exclusive titles sinply made little sense and western console development got extremely better while Japanese development faultered.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

$600

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 themajormayor
[QUOTE="spiderluck"][QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="clone01"] Not really, you've consistently proven bias, which lends your opinion very little credibility. And do you even know what a hillbilly is? Hint: I'm not one. Its really more of an identification people in certain regions. Keep trying on that trolling, though. You'll eventually be up there with loosingidiot and ispeakfact. Something that you'd be proud of, for some reason.

How have I proven bias? Of course you're a hillbilly. You don't even understand the concept of colloquialism.

How have I proven bias??....LOL...LOL...Comedy gold man...You are the king of one-liners...That's right up there with...When you were born , the doctor slapped your mother....aaaahhhh you never disappoint Mayor

lol yeah I know. I just wanted to see his response. It'd turn out funny.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 themajormayor
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

ToScA-

Depends. Irrelevant in any case.

Proof?

You honestly think PS3 games sell in more quantities than 360 games? Is that even a serious question or have you been locked up in a basement for the past 6 years? :|

I didn't say that. I only asked for proof.
spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]But 360 has no games so that's fallacious reasoningDavekeeh

Wow, you're not even a decent troll, pathetic fanboy. Pretty sure the Halo, Gears, and Forza franchises actually count as games. And don't forget XBLA and these things called "multiplats." What's it like to center your miserable sense of self worth around a piece of plastic? But keep trying, you'll reach that golden troll fanboy ring someday.

LOL here comes the mentioning of Halo/Gears/Forza again, I'm so glad i got rid of my useless 360

And believe me , MS is not taking your departure easily...memos to that effect are still circulating and every Friday a minute of silence is taken in memory of the " GREAT LOSS " as it is referred to in hushed tones...Your sweet disposition and kind words for all have not gone unnoticed and it is with deep sorrow and regret, that we at MS, respectfully urge you to Fvck right off and enjoy your stay at the loser motel...aka sony inn.. Yours sincerely....Steve Ballmer
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

This thread makes me so glad I left this forum. :|

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]

My opinion>>>>opinion of hillbilly plebs as yourself

themajormayor
Not really, you've consistently proven bias, which lends your opinion very little credibility. And do you even know what a hillbilly is? Hint: I'm not one. Its really more of an identification people in certain regions. Keep trying on that trolling, though. You'll eventually be up there with loosingidiot and ispeakfact. Something that you'd be proud of, for some reason.

How have I proven bias? Of course you're a hillbilly. You don't even understand the concept of colloquialism.

You're an idiot fanboy. Fanboys have bias. Pretty simple. Even a simpleton like yourself can understand that. Your trolling is slipping. Hillbilly? Really? Not even being used correctly. 0/10 for the effort.
spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 spiderluck

StrongDeadlift
C'mon man....you've been missed...isn't that enough
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 themajormayor
[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="clone01"] Not really, you've consistently proven bias, which lends your opinion very little credibility. And do you even know what a hillbilly is? Hint: I'm not one. Its really more of an identification people in certain regions. Keep trying on that trolling, though. You'll eventually be up there with loosingidiot and ispeakfact. Something that you'd be proud of, for some reason.

Your an idiot fanboy. Fanboys have bias. Pretty simple. Even a simpleton like yourself can understand that. Your trolling is slipping. Hillbilly? Really? Not even being used correctly. 0/10 for the effort.

Prove it. Using it colloquially is not incorrect.
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6060 Posts
Xbox 360 came out first and beat Sony to the high definition console market. Sony failed to release the playstation 3 with a price range similar to the competition. Sony failed to get any major AAA games within a year of the playstation 3's release. Consumers didn't think blu ray was worth it and were content with the many DVD players they own.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 clone01

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]But 360 has no games so that's fallacious reasoningDavekeeh

And how is that "no gamezzzz," fanboy? And don't lie. You obviously never had a 360.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 clone01
[QUOTE="themajormayor"] Using it colloquially is not incorrect.

which part? That you are an idiot or a fanboy? One only needs to look at your posting history.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 themajormayor
[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] Using it colloquially is not incorrect.

which part? That you are an idiot or a fanboy? One only needs to look at your posting history.

lol how ironic
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 clone01
[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] Using it colloquially is not incorrect.

lol how ironic

Not really. I'm not an idiot fanboy. You are. Irony, like hillbilly, doesn't really apply here.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 themajormayor
[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="clone01"] which part? That you are an idiot or a fanboy? One only needs to look at your posting history.

lol how ironic

Not really. I'm not an idiot fanboy. You are. Irony, like hillbilly, doesn't really apply here.

Really? You called someone an idiot and then later one of your posts makes no sense in relation to what was quoted. That's pretty ironic
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 clone01
[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] lol how ironic

Really? You called someone an idiot and then later one of your posts makes no sense in relation to what was quoted. That's pretty ironic

Please explain. Fanboys are idiots. That's a known fact.
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
I don't know how they loosed it, maybe they should tighten it.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 themajormayor

Please explain. Fanboys are idiots. That's a known fact.clone01
[QUOTE="themajormayor"] Using it colloquially is not incorrect.clone01

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 clone01
I don't know how they loosed it, maybe they should tighten it.bleehum
+1
ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

Still number 1 and number 2 all time (consoles)

Still number 1 all time (including handhelds)

come get some

:cool:

MS already told you why they were able to breathe

$599

Cell

we took our foot off the competitions neck for one gen and look what they go n say

see you next gen with PS4

foot_on_neck.gif

back where you belong

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 clone01

[QUOTE="clone01"] [QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] Using it colloquially is not incorrect.themajormayor

Idiot fanboy is a statement of fact, hillbilly isn't. I know that even you can grasp that concept.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 themajormayor
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="clone01"] which part? That you are an idiot or a fanboy? One only needs to look at your posting history.clone01

Idiot fanboy is a statement of fact, hillbilly isn't. I know that even you can grasp that concept.

The thing is you obviously didn't know what you put in your quote since it came out very silly. Even by your illiterate hillbilly standards.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 clone01
The thing is you obviously didn't know what you put in your quote since it came out very silly. Even by your illiterate hillbilly standards.themajormayor
so in other word, you are an idiot fanboy. Can't really debate that Charles Darwin. Amuses me a troll like yourself continues to stick his nose somewhere no one wants him. Sad human being, frankly.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 themajormayor
[QUOTE="themajormayor"] The thing is you obviously didn't know what you put in your quote since it came out very silly. Even by your illiterate hillbilly standards.clone01
so in other word, you are an idiot fanboy. Can't really debate that Charles Darwin. Amuses me a troll like yourself continues to stick his nose somewhere no one wants him. Sad human being, frankly.

Why do you call me Charles Darwin?
menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="spiderluck"] But Mosey weren't you the same two faced drone arguing at one time that the 360 was in fact more expensive than the ps3....want to be taken seriously? begin by being consistentOhSnapitz

At launch on face value the 360 was cheaper, but it did end up costing more overall with all the things you had to buy for it.

Launch PS3-$600

Launch 360-$400

But in order to get your full 360 experience you had to buy some things

WIFI adapter-$100

XBL for 3 years-$150 (XBL was cheaper back then)

That brings the 360 up to $650. It goes over a grand if you kept paying for XBL or upgreded the hard drive (lol 20GB). Also factor in to those who also upgraded to the 360 slim to stop getting the RROD recently, and you have a system that costs over a thousand dollars.

PS3 you just buy it and that's it. No other costs associated with it.

I believe your fanboy math is ... off.

Launch PS3 = $600

Monster HDMI Cable (because it didn't come with an HD/type Cable) = $50

3 Blu Ray Movies a yr (which is minimal.. Besides what's the use of buying a BD player if you don't buy movies to go along with it) = $75 ($25 a piece)

PSN+ = $50 a yr (for 2 yrs)

That equals.. $775 on the low end.

If you buy Monster HDMI Cables for that much you must love to waste money. HDMI cables can be had for $7 that perform the same as those $50 ones.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] The thing is you obviously didn't know what you put in your quote since it came out very silly. Even by your illiterate hillbilly standards.themajormayor

Ignorant fanboy that doesn't know what the hell 2001 is.

Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Second_Hokage
Member since 2011 • 1104 Posts

StrongDeadlift
Apparently, you didnt :P
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="clone01"] so in other word, you are an idiot fanboy. Can't really debate that Charles Darwin. Amuses me a troll like yourself continues to stick his nose somewhere no one wants him. Sad human being, frankly.menes777

Ignorant fanboy that doesn't know what the hell 2001 is.

I changed the sig after his post I'm pretty sure. And yes it's my favorite movie.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

The Cell/Blu-ray, Microsoft's pushed growth and Nintendo gimmick boom happened.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 clone01
[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] The thing is you obviously didn't know what you put in your quote since it came out very silly. Even by your illiterate hillbilly standards.themajormayor

Your alt account. It's okay. No one likes you here. That's why you are sad enough to start a new account.
johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

terrible launch basically no good games for the first year or 2 while 360 had bioshock. mass effect, gears. halo 3 etc

thats what cost em imo now theres a nice stready flow of games for both systems

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

Still number 1 and number 2 all time (consoles)

Still number 1 all time (including handhelds)

come get some

:cool:

MS already told you why they were able to breathe

$599

Cell

we took our foot off the competitions neck for one gen and look what they go n say

see you next gen with PS4

foot_on_neck.gif

back where you belong

ebrezzy1
delusional confirmed,thats too much time spend in the basement.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 themajormayor
[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="clone01"] so in other word, you are an idiot fanboy. Can't really debate that Charles Darwin. Amuses me a troll like yourself continues to stick his nose somewhere no one wants him. Sad human being, frankly.

Your alt account. It's okay. No one likes you here. That's why you are sad enough to start a new account.

Yes? I'm not making it a secret or anything. And that's not true. Kuraimen likes me, I think.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

360 launched one year prior

xbox live

that price tag

losing a ton of japanese support (I blame Sony for the lack of good JRPGs on consoles today)

so hard to dev for

wii was so cheap and different, great for parents buying systems for kids

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#140 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

Second_Hokage

Apparently, you didnt :P

he just wanted to let us know.

spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 spiderluck
[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] Why do you call me Charles Darwin?

Yes? I'm not making it a secret or anything. And that's not true. Kuraimen likes me, I think.

haha Kuraimen doesn't even like HIMSELF man...I think
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 clone01
[QUOTE="themajormayor"] Yes? I'm not making it a secret or anything. And that's not true. Kuraimen likes me, I think.

And that's a point of pride for you? Wow. Even more sad.
Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#143 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

Sony pushed to hard to come out as soon as they DID. HAD they waited a more powerful PS3 would have launched a year later.

PS2 outsold Xbox 360 in 2005/2006 and outsold PS3 in 2006/2007

Sony should have droped the price they charged programers to make games and goten rid of the oversite certification. That would have brought in a huge amount of games from both indie and establihed developers, taking away from Xbox 360 until PS3 was ready to launch for real.

Problems that made PS3 less that it should have been

• PS3 was cut short 7 out of the 8 cells were working
  • PS3 was caped at 3.2 GHz
  • heat was a problem and they had a expensive cooling system
  • A huge decrease in chips due to problems with production,
  • shortages of Blueray parts caused big price increase and delays
Seeing that the 65 nm part was out a year after PS3 launched which was a lot better Sony could have waited and gotten a lot better console wich would have cost less. In addition sales of consoles till 2009 3/4 years after Xbox and PS3 launched were A LOT LESS than the sales of PS2 era.
So Sony RUSHED into the Gaming Market with a product that was less than stellar. It should have been a lot better. IF it had launched in 2007. I can only hope that Sony learns from this lesson and does not RUSH out the PS4.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#144 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="ispeakfact"]They never lost it. More exclusives, more award winning exclusives, more gotys.ispeakfact
Sorry, but nothing you can say can dispute the fact that Sony isn't the dominant force they once were. Oddly enough, the ps3 is doing the same thing the original Xbox was back in its time.

Everything i say proves this, my son.

you cant bring in a quality argument when it is about a sales argument. Its like arguing michael jordan is the best basketball player when everyone else is talking about how much he sucked playing baseball
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i think its because blu-ray is so expensive and some people dont see the difference from a dvd...

the ps3 put all its chips on blu-ray being a huge hit.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#146 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

PS3 came out late and expensive. Also, rising development costs forced most high profile 3rd party titles to become day 1 multiplats, whereas Sony had enjoyed at least limited exclusivity on many titles in the previous gens.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

PS3 released last and it was very expensive. Same for VITA.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 jsmoke03

there are a lot of reasons why sony lost first place

• nintendo brought in a bunch of people that didn't previously play video games. it soo happened to outnumber core gamers. please dont think that nintendo stole casual gamers because casual gamers did not make the majority of the ps2 fanbase
  • it came out way too late. core gamers wanted to play something, so they lost those gamers that didn't have brand loyalty
  • ps3 was too expensive a launch. regardless of the machine being touted as more powerful than 360, there is a threshold at reasonable...they went the 3do route but the difference in graphics is negligble
  • 3rd party developers decided to back 360 or become multi platform. they lost most of what powered the previous era's...developer exclusivity support
  • microsoft innovated online multiplayer while sony just took the functional route. No trophies at launch, no party chat, gamers had to buy separate headset device, xmb being inferior, psn home wasnt there at launch and it was fail
  • microsoft has better marketing than sony PERIOD
  • japan decided that they want to play handhelds instead of consoles
  • microsoft appealed to more american gamers...which is the number one gaming market in the world
  • there were no games that made sony worth buying for a couple of years in a lot of peoples eyes. it wasn't until killzone 2, lbp, uncharted 2 came out that sony had games people really want.

in the end i think these factors have done them in....

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#149 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
When did Sony have a tight gaming crown?
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 jsmoke03
When did Sony have a tight gaming crown?BPoole96
ps1 ps2 era