How did mario get a 9.5??????

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LastRedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LastRedMage
Member since 2007 • 886 Posts

I sorry im sure is a great (great games are supose to be 8s) but how can a game be almost perfect when it was no story at all save Peach -again!- from bowzer. its almost like your just randomly run around jumping on turtles or what ever

i have nothing against nintindo but it would be nice if they come up with new ideas instead of just reviving old ones.

dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
Just about every other site has given it 9.5 or better. Doesn't need story to be good.
Sir-Marwin105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Sir-Marwin105
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts
Play the game and you will see. In all honesty, I think the game is the best game in a very long time.
Sir_Crocidile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sir_Crocidile
Member since 2004 • 389 Posts
well so far it does have a story (still on 4th galaxy area). Oh and I should point out Gamespot's score is actually lower then the average it's been getting.
hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts

I sorry im sure is a great (great games are supose to be 8s) but how can a game be almost perfect when it was no story at all save Peach -again!- from bowzer. its almost like your just randomly run around jumping on turtles or what ever

i have nothing against nintindo but it would be nice if they come up with new ideas instead of just reviving old ones.

LastRedMage

.....:|...........:|.....................:|:|..............:|...................WINNER!!! :lol:
Truth-slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Truth-slayer
Member since 2004 • 2510 Posts
Because it is motherf***ing Mario!!!
ninjabeaver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ninjabeaver1
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts
Does a story have to matter in every single game?
TheEndBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 TheEndBoss
Member since 2007 • 856 Posts
The story is not always an integral part of the game, so I don't see how you could knock on a game for the lack of story when it's not entirely relevant to the experience. Now, if Mario Galaxy had a heavy emphasis on the storyline then you would have a point. However, it does not so I don't see one.
Chipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chipp
Member since 2003 • 1897 Posts
Mario has never been about the story. I guess a lot of people are looking for Mario soap opera, go look else were.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
Its pure fun
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

LastRedMage

You don't play a Mario game for a story :?

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
Gameplay.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

LastRedMage

:|.......You didn't play the game....did you?

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Please go play the game. There is nothing else that can be said because argueing on this would be pointless with the lack of knowledge on this superb game.

Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts
Super Mario galaxy is the kind of game that a story would only make worse.
SkullboyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SkullboyX
Member since 2004 • 6407 Posts
Mario slept with the GS editors. *sarcasim*
Veterngamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Veterngamer
Member since 2007 • 2037 Posts

OMG a Mario game with little to no story..... I guess ur right it must suck.... now if I could only get all the time back that Ispent enjoying myself whilst playing Mario, Sonic, Geometry Wars, Double Dragon, Burnout: Revenge, SSX etc. They were all obviously sucky games due to lack of a story.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
I haven't played the game, but after just seeing the commercial I see what all the fuss is about. Shame that I don't have a Wii :(
LastRedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LastRedMage

Just about every other site has given it 9.5 or better. Doesn't need story to be good.dragonball3900
yes it does! to be perfect it needs to exel in every part of the game story included. im not saying its bad because of the lack of story i saying its not a 9.5, and realy nether is halo3 as its the same game as halo2. a game needs to be original to get that high of a score

ratings are worped and need to be rethought

SaintBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SaintBlaze
Member since 2007 • 7736 Posts
Platformers aren't really about story. They're more about the level design and platforming aspect.
LastRedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LastRedMage

[QUOTE="dragonball3900"]Just about every other site has given it 9.5 or better. Doesn't need story to be good.LastRedMage

yes it does! to be perfect it needs to exel in every part of the game story included. im not saying its bad because of the lack of story i saying its not a 9.5, and realy nether is halo3 as its the same game as halo2. a game needs to be original to get that high of a score

ratings aremessed upand need to be re-thought

blahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blahzor
Member since 2005 • 2287 Posts

What happened to games being about fun?

Anyways, story isn't just about dialogue and character development.. it's about the characters adventure too. Mario doesn't have much in the way of plot twists or deep character development(in this platformer), but it has alot of charm. Bowser kidnapping the princess is not original on paper, but in this game its done with charm. You want to advance, you want to face bowser as he's more menacing and amazing then he has ever been! But where mario really shines is the extraordinary locales he vists, its his journey that is the real story here. Mario's adventure is colourful and full of imagination, that's his story.. ANd it's imaginative and brilliant.

THen there's the side story of Rosalina and the luma's, an optional story you can either pass or view by going to the library.

SaintBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SaintBlaze
Member since 2007 • 7736 Posts
[QUOTE="LastRedMage"]

[QUOTE="dragonball3900"]Just about every other site has given it 9.5 or better. Doesn't need story to be good.LastRedMage

ratings aremessed upand need to be re-thought

Since when has story EVER been important in a platformer? Especially in a mario game?

Moon_of_Majora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Moon_of_Majora
Member since 2006 • 6065 Posts

LastRedMage

Mario games don't need a big story to be good. But if you want to play a Mario game with a fun story, try the Paper Marios.

Also, there is a back story to Rosalina and the observatory... so it isn't just "save Peach from Bowser". :P

Avatar image for theoracleofgame
theoracleofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 theoracleofgame
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts
No offense, but really, EVERYTHING matters. I mean, really. You can't have a game with the best plot ever but no level design! That's called a book. You can't have a game with excellent level design & no plot! That's called a floorplan. So let's get back to what matters. Does Mario really deserve a 9.5 or not?
LastRedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LastRedMage

Anyways, story isn't just about dialogue and character development.. it's about the characters adventure too. Mario doesn't have much in the way of plot twists or deep character development(in this platformer), but it has alot of charm. Bowser kidnapping the princess is not original on paper, but in this game its done with charm. You want to advance, you want to face bowser as he's more menacing and amazing then he has ever been! But where mario really shines is the extraordinary locales he vists, its his journey that is the real story here. Mario's adventure is colourful and full of imagination, that's his story.. ANd it's imaginative and brilliant.

THen there's the side story of Rosalina and the luma's, an optional story you can either pass or view by going to the library.

blahzor
fun=6 or 7, original, fun, and with deep character development=8 or 9
jdp0412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jdp0412
Member since 2004 • 264 Posts
It might not have an amazing story but it is by FAR one of the most fun times I've had playing a video game in a long time. Truely proves that sometimes simple accessible fun is the best kind.
LastRedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LastRedMage

blahzor
theoracleofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theoracleofgame
[QUOTE="blahzor"]

LastRedMage

I don't understand. There are two complaints here (as displayed). The rating system AND the actual game itself!
blahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blahzor
Member since 2005 • 2287 Posts
[QUOTE="blahzor"]

LastRedMage

have you played this game?
Despite it using mario and the princess captured story, Mario Galaxy is probably the most original game of the year(yes, it stands up to portal, and imo surpasses it in this category).

Really, the gameplay in this game is incredible and the level design is brilliant as well as being original.

In fact, if you read the gamespot review for this game Alex makes a really nice point. The beauty of this game is that it doesn't need mario to be brilliant. You could pretty much throw together any random set of characters and this game would still be amazing.

Deep character development is not needed in games! These are not books or even movies, don't hold them to these standards. Games are about gameplay first! But again, my original post still stands.. mario's story is fantastic becasue his journey is so unique and incredible!

Chipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chipp
Member since 2003 • 1897 Posts
[QUOTE="blahzor"]

LastRedMage

Thats just your opinion, but games that have been made say otherwise. I'm guessing you want Tetris to have a story as well?

LastRedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LastRedMage

No offense, but really, EVERYTHING matters. I mean, really. You can't have a game with the best plot ever but no level design! That's called a book. You can't have a game with excellent level design & no plot! That's called a floorplan. So let's get back to what matters. Does Mario really deserve a 9.5 or not?theoracleofgame
thanks.

yes there shouldnt be so many 9+ games and 7 should not be 'bad' 7 should be good,

5 is averageif there are no averge games then somone needs to rethink the system cause avrage means that equalamount of games score above and below it.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
Since when did a game have to have a story?
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#34 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
You're sure? I assume this means "I haven't played the game but am making judgments about it beforehand"? I would suggest you play the game and answer your own question.
theoracleofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 theoracleofgame
Yes, the gameplay is always first, but you can't just have no plot. There is a plot (big surprise, save peach from bowser) but it lacks the originality and depth that truly make a game superb!! Mario deserves 8.8 or someting around those lines as long as someone realizes that Mario can't run on the same plot again and again! What's next, bowser stomps into a quantum pit with peach or bowser holds peach hostage in Japan!?
LastRedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LastRedMage
[QUOTE="LastRedMage"][QUOTE="blahzor"]

Ramadear

Thats just your opinion, but games that have been made say otherwise. I'm guessing you want Tetris to have a story as well?

well with that logic tetris shouldget a 9.5!! story is a part of the game of 10 10 and 0 is 6 if your missing a whole ascpect of a game it cant have that high of a score
Madsucktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Madsucktion
Member since 2003 • 2079 Posts

Its pure funmurat8

Yeah....it's fun. You remember what that's like right? Playing a fun game? Not a broody, post-apacalyptic bloody dark mess game, but a fun, happy, wonderous game. Man I love fun.

Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Stabby2486
Member since 2006 • 6688 Posts
Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, Value, Tilt. Story isn't taken into account.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 goblaa

Yes, the gameplay is always first, but you can't just have no plot. There is a plot (big surprise, save peach from bowser) but it lacks the originality and depth that truly make a game superb!! Mario deserves 8.8 or someting around those lines as long as someone realizes that Mario can't run on the same plot again and again! What's next, bowser stomps into a quantum pit with peach or bowser holds peach hostage in Japan!?theoracleofgame

Yes you can. A story is never required. What if halo came out as a multi-player only game? Would that make the multi-player worth "less" due to lack of story?

No where in the definition of a game is story mentioned anywhere. Would tetris be any more perfect with a story?

theoracleofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 theoracleofgame
OK, I admit that games don't neccesarily need a plot. But really, does Tetris need a plot? No. You're just moving around blocks with different variations. But for something as long running as Mario... that's a different story. 
hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts

Yes, the gameplay is always first, but you can't just have no plot. There is a plot (big surprise, save peach from bowser) but it lacks the originality and depth that truly make a game superb!! Mario deserves 8.8 or someting around those lines as long as someone realizes that Mario can't run on the same plot again and again! What's next, bowser stomps into a quantum pit with peach or bowser holds peach hostage in Japan!?theoracleofgame

I highly doubt that you've even played SMG and I dont think you understand the premise behind Mario. There has never been a story nor will there need to be one, the fact of the matter is that a game can thrive in itself while missing a certain component. in SMG's case its the story, and now you come along saying that it needs a story to be perfect? Have you even played any of the past Marios?

You're not comparing Mario to the industry today but you're comparing the industry to Mario. And if you look at Gamerankings the top two games on the list are Mario and Zelda. Both of which are games that use the same basic premise in their respective series. There is a reason why they are up there and neither of those series need to modernize themselves by bringing their series' down to the level of the rest of the industry.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 goblaa

OK, I admit that games don't neccesarily need a plot. But really, does Tetris need a plot? No. You're just moving around blocks with different variations. But for something as long running as Mario... that's a different story. theoracleofgame

No not really. You start a level, you jump holes and beat enemies, you beat a boss, repeat. Does a platformer really need more than that?

Mario Galaxy does not focus on the extras. It just has the best levels, the best holes, the best eneimes, and the best bosses. It takes the very definition of a platformer and perfects it.

amorbis1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 amorbis1001
Member since 2007 • 2281 Posts
How did you become so intelectually smart *sarcasm*
theoracleofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 theoracleofgame
I have nothing against Mario, I'm just saying personally that I hold games with plots in higher esteem than simple games like Mario (although they are very entertaining).
Berem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Berem
Member since 2003 • 947 Posts
How about you stop posting about a game you clearly have never played before.
curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#46 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
Platformers aren't really about story. They're more about the level design and platforming aspect. SaintBlaze
Sports games has no story either(except those based on animes). Or do tell me, what is the story behind FIFA 2005?
theoracleofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 theoracleofgame
A high amount of games have little or no plot. The games that do have plot, though, are exceptional
Oyeoyeoye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Oyeoyeoye
Member since 2007 • 479 Posts

[QUOTE="SaintBlaze"]Platformers aren't really about story. They're more about the level design and platforming aspect. curono
Sports games has no story either(except those based on animes). Or do tell me, what is the story behind FIFA 2005?

Add a lot of racing games to that list. Like 'Forza 2', arguably the best racer in this next gen and there is no story to be seen. Also the next major racer 'GT' will have no story either, will probably score in the 9's as well. The story is only relevant if that's what the game was designed for. Mario achieves what is was designed for and does it better than any other platformer out there...ever.

Avatar image for Apathetic-Irony
Apathetic-Irony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Apathetic-Irony
Member since 2006 • 1391 Posts

While I don't think Mario deserves the high ratings it recieves (I strongly believe that most of the postitive feedback is due to the mixture of a nastalgic character and themes mixed with a new setting and game-play mechanic), it definitely is not because of the plot.

Mario is a very fun game. Notice the key word there? Fun. As in, it's fun to play. For this reason, Mario does not need a plot to keep the player enticed and coming back for more. They never feel the need to rush to find out what happens next. Hell, they may even go back and play somemore when they're finished.

It's not because they want to reach the maximum level or get that unattainable weapon. No... it's because they get such enjoyment and entertainment from the game, that the biggest reward they get is being able to play the game itself. No plot or story device can change that.

Oyeoyeoye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Oyeoyeoye
Member since 2007 • 479 Posts

A high amount of games have little or no plot. The games that do have plot, though, are exceptionaltheoracleofgame

Your trying to argue opinion. Just because you don't regard games with no plot as exceptional doesn't mean others won't. I for one find SMG to be an exceptional game.