How did Halo 3 achive the same score as Super Mario Galaxy?

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

because the review was unbiased had alot of fun and gave it points for some many great features, tune ups and awesomness.

ps user scores? lol do know how many ppl mark a game for being bad because its exclusive like a game halo, i believe halo is the number 1 hated game by fanboys.

LibertySaint

Halo 3 didn't change much, but had a lot of content. SMG changed a lot, and was awsome.

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts

I am still trying to figure out how GTA4 received a 10?

lvgaming

the pros outdid the cons, simple as that.

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

while i agree, those are not valid points.

in my opinion, halo 3 improved in no way over halo 2 besides slightly in graphics and adding the theater mode. that makes it worthless.

but then again, smg is just sm64 in space, which on the contrary makes it even more boring than you would think.

and gamespot's scores aren't meant to be compared cross-genre.

what they're saying is that SMG is better than ratchet and clank, which it clearly is.

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
[QUOTE="lvgaming"]

KGB32

1. story was ignored for a good 40 percent of the missions

2. missions were extremely repititive

3. driving on ice

4. online sucks

now IMO those are big enough flaws to knock it down to 9.0, but 9.5 seems like a really good score for gta. i mean most long time GTA fans admit that this is the worst one.

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy was too slow for my tastes

kthxbai

papi_lekker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 papi_lekker
Member since 2008 • 360 Posts

Is this a joke. In no way is Halo as innovative, fun, and exicting as Super Mario Galaxy. I mean look at the user scores Halo 3 (8.9) and SMG(9.3). Halo 3 single player is nothing to SMG and if you don't have live the online is usless. COD4 is better anyway. Dark-Pain
you know why halo 3 scored a 8.9 from the users on this site? cause its so freaking cool to hate this game. you should see the reviews:

but no, the fanboys have nothing better to do, and just make a review and give the game a 1.0
halo 3 does deserve it scores, you just dont like the game

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
ya u just lost any credibility u had
CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts

'not innovative'..: Forge, Theatre, Screenshot taking & sharing, Film recording & sharing, I guess those aren't innovative for a console shooter right? hopesfall2own

Innovation is defined as a new thing or method, and those are all new to Halo, so yes, Halo 3 was very innovative.

Ek-Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Ek-Andy
Member since 2006 • 1930 Posts

"You're comparing apples to oranges. Reviews don't work like that. "

Unless your a fruit critic.

flapjean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 flapjean
Member since 2008 • 75 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy was too slow for my tastes

kthxbai

SSCyborg

This

jeffdoomsday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 jeffdoomsday
Member since 2008 • 1023 Posts
Because Halo 3 is great and Mario has been milked enough already.
Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
Because they were both overrated.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

Because it has more content than any console in existance, all of which is produced to a very high quality. :| Also... you cant just ignore the entire online portion of the game "because i dont have live". That makes no sense at all. All of that content is still there; it shouldnt be ignored because you choose not to play online.

It's like saying SMG is useless if you only play online.

Ninja-Hippo

I agree, people are missing the big picture here.

halo3 comes with a ton of features. Forge, Theather, Picture/movie/map sharing, addicting multiplayer, 4 player (online) co-op

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Well you cant compare the two.

But honestly the massive hype, and media circus had to do with Halo 3s score being skewed imo.

A 8.5 to 9.0 game in my eyes - the singleplayer has more faults than I can shake a gravity hammer at.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 skrat_01

halo3 comes with a ton of features. Forge, Theather, Picture/movie/map sharing, addicting multiplayer, 4 player (online) co-op

killerfist

This the problem.

On paper the features all look great... however in implementation its not a case of 'more = better'.

The multiplayer and community features are exellent, however other features like the replay mode (for singleplayer) was not fleshed out, neither was Forge - as much as it could have been, and the 4 player coop was not properly implemented to complimtent the design of the singleplayer - it felt like a 'feature to tout' rather than something that added to the game design. And of course the SP... well it didn't really hold up well compared to all the other big name shooters offered in my eyes....

Its all about things being properly cohesive and well implemented into the game design.
If it was just - more = merrier, than games like UT04 which pack in astronomical amounts of content would be the best shooters.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

'not innovative'..: Forge, hopesfall2own

Far Cry Instincts on original Xbox had a map editor.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 skrat_01

[QUOTE="hopesfall2own"]'not innovative'..: Forge, Theatre, Screenshot taking & sharing, Film recording & sharing, I guess those aren't innovative for a console shooter right? CronoSquall

Innovation is defined as a new thing or method, and those are all new to Halo, so yes, Halo 3 was very innovative.

what?

It was NOT innovative at all.

the Halo series never has been innovative. Polished yes, well exectuted (for most of the part) yes. Innovative no.

Those have all done been before.

And no there is no 'well its innovative for a console' That is NOT 'innovation', taking one thing from another platform to the next.

tomertr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 tomertr
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts

how did mario acheive the same score as halo 3? (just kidinh) each of those game have there strong points, imo halo certenly desreves a 9.5 for its great replayabilty

SpinoRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 SpinoRaptor
Member since 2006 • 2419 Posts

Because it was an awesome game

/thread

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts
[QUOTE="CronoSquall"]

[QUOTE="hopesfall2own"]'not innovative'..: Forge, Theatre, Screenshot taking & sharing, Film recording & sharing, I guess those aren't innovative for a console shooter right? skrat_01

what?

It was NOT innovative at all.

the Halo series never has been innovative. Polished yes, well exectuted (for most of the part) yes. Innovative no.

Those have all done been before.

And no there is no 'well its innovative for a console' That is NOT 'innovation', taking one thing from another platform to the next.

I agree with the above... but having seen SMG and played it (for a while on my friend's Wii) its a great game, but to say its innovative or that it re-invented the platform genre is an overstatement (imo)...

so lets just say both are great games which reviewers thought deserved a 10/10 score..

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
[QUOTE="killerfist"]

skrat_01

This the problem.

On paper the features all look great... however in implementation its not a case of 'more = better'.

The multiplayer and community features are exellent, however other features like the replay mode (for singleplayer) was not fleshed out, neither was Forge - as much as it could have been, and the 4 player coop was not properly implemented to complimtent the design of the singleplayer - it felt like a 'feature to tout' rather than something that added to the game design. And of course the SP... well it didn't really hold up well compared to all the other big name shooters offered in my eyes....

Its all about things being properly cohesive and well implemented into the game design.
If it was just - more = merrier, than games like UT04 which pack in astronomical amounts of content would be the best shooters.

I agree with some of that, 4 player co-op was too easy with 4 players, but still pure fun imo.

the rest is all well done for a console game imo. if it werent for the content, it would have scored much lower. 8.5ish I think.

just look at COD4, it only has a (short but fun) SP and multiplayer, but it still managed to score a 9 here and win several GOTY shooter awards. I halo3s score is fine where it is, compared to COD4 (also an xbox game).

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

How did mario galaxy get 9.5? its short, pathetic story, rehashed characters, all it had was graphics and "Oh looks I R MOONWALKING".

Nostalgia wins again.

PC360Wii

Bumped for complete confusion. a short flashy game like Mario with a slightly new spin is somehow GOTY? because it has toy train levels and music from previous games?

Same exact gameplay bar grabbing objects with a pointer..... just another Mario.

No replay value, 2007 couldnt have been as good as it was made out.

diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts
Yeah your right, mario galaxy should definately be scored lower, I mean you beat the game in like 10 hours, then never really want to play it again except for like maybe an hour a month. Whereas halo 3 has great online that you can play for hours each day and never get bored of it, you defiantely can't play mario galaxy for hours a day and never get bored.
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts

How did mario galaxy get 9.5? its short, pathetic story, rehashed characters, all it had was graphics and "Oh looks I R MOONWALKING".

Nostalgia wins again.

PC360Wii

:lol:!!!!

"Oh looks I R MOONWALKING".

Oh thats classic!! :lol:

I'm gonna sig that! :)

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 skrat_01

I agree with some of that, 4 player co-op was too easy with 4 players, but still pure fun imo.

the rest is all well done for a console game imo. if it werent for the content, it would have scored much lower. 8.5ish I think.

just look at COD4, it only has a (short but fun) SP and multiplayer, but it still managed to score a 9 here and win several GOTY shooter awards. I halo3s score is fine where it is, compared to COD4 (also an xbox game).

killerfist
Well COD4 had an exellent thrillride linear singleplayer, that was very well crafted (althought it had some hiccups here and there). Its multiplayer was also exellent. Honestly I think Halo 3s score should have been closer to COD4s.. Its multiplayer is strong - i honestly think its better for the console platform, however its singleplayer is knowhere as good, and its extra features really dont propell it to make up for the singleplayer department. A game doesent need a multiplayer component, or a singleplayer component and loads of features ect. to be a very compelling and exellent game.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#76 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
I could play Super Mario Galaxy anytime and enjoy it why because it is one of the best games this gen.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#77 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

I would ask how many people are still playing Galaxy?

It was a great experience while it lasted, but after January I don't think the disc has even left its case. Halo 3 still makes regular apperences as the multiplayer continues to offer play value for me,

darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts

Bring back 2d mario games already Nintendo.

Tykain

They already have :|
Or did you not pick up New Super Mario Brothers? And if I'm not mistaken they are working a second.
Also Yoshi's Island 2is another 2D Mario game.
But...yes, I agree they need a lot more 2D mario games, in fact they could even use Wiiware to release them.
ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ImOldGreg
Member since 2007 • 2357 Posts

Halo rocks, pure and simple....

I feel there is a touch of innovation in the series.....I think it was Gametrailers or gamepro or somthing that said ''Halo (CE) reinvented a genre that didn't know it needed reinventing''

One feature thats been copyed to death since halo 2 is the ''regenerating healthbar/sheilds'', COD 4, gears etc. they all do it now...

for me its Halo>>>>>>SMG all the way :P

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

Super Mario galaxy is good but Halo is the better game. Super Mario has an interesting idea behind it and it's great to play through. But once you've done it? Bloop. Don't care anymore. I've got like 70 odd stars? Trying to force myself on to get more but I'm busy with my 360.

Halo wins on story.

Halo wins on replay.

gameplay is a complete toss up, it's personal opinion. Call of duty 4 was epic but again, the novelty wears off and people move on, Halo is still going strong and will remain going strong till the next one. That's what makes a great game, being able to pay out £40 for something and still find yourself playing it 4 years later. Galaxy, COD4? They'll be dead in the water.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 skrat_01

I feel there is a touch of innovation in the series.....I think it was Gametrailers or gamepro or somthing that said ''Halo (CE) reinvented a genre that didn't know it needed reinventing''

One feature thats been copyed to death since halo 2 is the ''regenerating healthbar/sheilds'', COD 4, gears etc. they all do it now...

ImOldGreg

Re-invented?

A gross exaggeration designed to throw fans into gushing fits.

It didnt re-invent anything. Sure as hell popularised the shield, 'hit' button, and was a major step forwards for the console shooter genre (not to mention was tremendously polished) but thats about it.

Games that 're-invented' the FPS for example are Doom and Half Life. Otherwise other progressive ones have made much more changes to the genre than Halo - even inspiring Halo, pushing the evolution of the genre.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
you think user scores are accurate? :lol: you realize that the cows rate halo 3 1 and the lemmings rate it 10, right? :lol:
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
Ummmm are you serious right now? Just because two games get the same score does not mean they can be compared by any means. They are two totally diffrents games in every aspect and they got their respective scores for their genre. The rest of your fanboyish dribbles are god awful, you really need to go back to the trolling board to figure out something better than that.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
[QUOTE="ImOldGreg"]

skrat_01

Re-invented?

It didnt re-invent anything. Sure as hell popularised the shield, 'hit' button, and was a major step forwards for the console shooter genre (not to mention was tremendously polished) but thats about it.

Games that 're-invented' the FPS for example are Doom and Half Life. Otherwise other progressive ones have made much more changes to the genre than Halo - even inspiring Halo, pushing the evolution of the genre.

What about Quake?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="ImOldGreg"]

xscrapzx

Re-invented?

What about Quake?

Quake spurred online multiplayer, and the mass modding scene. Apart from that it really was just a different styled Doom on an impressive 3D engine.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

smg is just as much as a rehash as halo isVendettaRed07
proof that tyou never played the damn game in the first place.

SMG added gravity effects and neat level designs never seen in a platformer before.

What did halo 3 add?

ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#87 ash10692
Member since 2008 • 2310 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]smg is just as much as a rehash as halo isShinobishyguy

SMG added gravity effects and neat level designs never seen in a platformer before.

What did halo 3 add?

A level editor. That sucked.

Avatar image for Gears2TrueStory
Gears2TrueStory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Gears2TrueStory
Member since 2008 • 385 Posts
Do not shed any tears. Halo is Halo.
-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#89 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
Because GS gets caught up in hype and always gives HUGE HYPED up games high ratings. Look at GTA IV. Almost every web site rated it 10 or close to it, and after about a week a lot of people are sick of the repetitive crap missions
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

Nostalgia wins again.

sam280992

:lol:!!!!

"Oh looks I R MOONWALKING".

Oh thats classic!! :lol:

I'm gonna sig that! :)

Thanks, but other than gravity what did it have over Mario 64?

Bubblehash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Bubblehash
Member since 2004 • 2914 Posts
Is this a joke. In no way is Halo as innovative, fun, and exicting as Super Mario Galaxy. I mean look at the user scores Halo 3 (8.9) and SMG(9.3). Halo 3 single player is nothing to SMG and if you don't have live the online is usless. COD4 is better anyway. Dark-Pain
Hmm I am wondering how SMG managed to get the score Halo 3 got and I am wondering how Halo managed the score it got.
LEGEND_C4A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 LEGEND_C4A
Member since 2003 • 3186 Posts

Hype and large fan base, people are scared to upset the majority party. I am still trying to figure out how GTA4 received a 10?

lvgaming

what did gta4 do not to deserve a 10?

LEGEND_C4A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 LEGEND_C4A
Member since 2003 • 3186 Posts
[QUOTE="KGB32"][QUOTE="lvgaming"]

mistervengeance

1. story was ignored for a good 40 percent of the missions

2. missions were extremely repititive

3. driving on ice

4. online sucks

now IMO those are big enough flaws to knock it down to 9.0, but 9.5 seems like a really good score for gta. i mean most long time GTA fans admit that this is the worst one.

oh man, how can you hate on the online play? damn thing is fun as hell.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts
'not innovative'..: Forge, Theatre, Screenshot taking & sharing, Film recording & sharing, I guess those aren't innovative for a console shooter right? hopesfall2own
maybe for shooters but PC shooters and even tony hawk games have had that since hanson was popular.
ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts
Uhh? Because Halo 3 is a great game. Don't be insecure
Gl0ry_L0rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Gl0ry_L0rd
Member since 2007 • 281 Posts
Halo 3 is mediocre. Ask many Halo fans, they say it's a dissapointment. Halo 2 > Halo 1 > Halo 3.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
[QUOTE="Tykain"]

The question should be how did SMG achieve that score.

I thought SMG was crap, tbh. Just like every other 3d mario. Bring back 2nd mario games already Nintendo.

iammason

Paper Mario?

I really didnt understand what they were trying to do with paper mario

it was weak on the rpg elements, and very week on the platforming elements. It was a good game, but i mean, it was just weird like they didnt know what kind of game they were trying to make.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 VendettaRed07
[QUOTE="lvgaming"]

Hype and large fan base, people are scared to upset the majority party. I am still trying to figure out how GTA4 received a 10?

LEGEND_C4A

what did gta4 do not to deserve a 10?

idk man but people need to stop complaining about it

san andreas got a freaking 9.6 and it wasnt even good really. This one is awesome, so how could it really not get a 10, people here seem to forget that it goes by .5 increments now, and that a 10 is much much easier to score

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 VendettaRed07

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]smg is just as much as a rehash as halo isShinobishyguy

What did halo 3 add?

my point was that they are still both fun geeze... i love both games, but when people say halo is a rehash i just say well, smg isnt all that new either but its still awesome, even though all it was, was mario upsidedown, and halo was halo in hd, with forge and a theater so who cares.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts
Both are overrated by quite a bit.