How Did Gametrailers Get So Popular And Respected?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Boogie_J
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

ever since gamespot got caught taking money under the table it seems gametrailers took the crown of the most respected videogame website. how did they get so popular?

i remember in the early days of gametrailers, when the site just posted trailers for videogames. then they get bought out by mtv, become popular and respected, and even have their own tv show on spike.

wtf?

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts
Honestly for me it has been the fact that I tend to agree more with their reviews than GS's almost all the time...
runker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 runker
Member since 2008 • 472 Posts
When Alex Navarro left Gamespot is when Gametrailers became popular.
slrprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 slrprime
Member since 2008 • 131 Posts
i just like their video reviews alot
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts
I honestly really like them for their really nice quality game trailers and videos. Their better with that than most other websites
Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts
Honestly for me it has been the fact that I tend to agree more with their reviews than GS's almost all the time...sHaDyCuBe321
I find there reviews SO much better than GS's, They always nail it, where as GS seems to always miss the mark by a few points.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

Didn't you hear, GameTrailers has no credibility because it doesn't recognize the PS3 as its personal lord and savior.  Then one of the godless video editors had the audacity to say that PS3 needed to change its perfect DS controller design.  The nerve.

IshmaelSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 IshmaelSonata
Member since 2008 • 979 Posts
Game Trailer makes the best reviews in my opinion
IshmaelSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IshmaelSonata
Member since 2008 • 979 Posts
Game Trailer makes the best reviews in my opinion
Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Boogie_J

but ign and gamespot go back like 10 years. gametrailers originally was just a small user based site where you upload trailers for your favorite games. suddenly two years later they are the most respected videogame website?

hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
[QUOTE="bez2083"]

Didn't you hear, GameTrailers has no credibility because it doesn't recognize the PS3 as its personal lord and savior.  Then one of the godless video editors had the audacity to say that PS3 needed to change its perfect DS controller design.  The nerve.

Here come the cows..why did you bring this up again :( They will discredit any site that disagrees with them on ANYTHING; I bet if GS says black is a bad console color they would say GS is biased and not to be counted ever again :lol:
njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts
1up and giantbomb are better then gametrailers imo.
siggy3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 siggy3
Member since 2005 • 453 Posts
Their video reviews are very well done. However, some of their scoring is quite odd. For example, in the review of Too Human they pretty much tore it to shreds. I was certain they were going to score it below 5 before I saw the score at the end of the video - 6,5. That is nowhere near as awful as they described the game.
bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts
[QUOTE="bez2083"]

What he said was really faboyish though, like he was stating it as fact when it's only just one mans opinion but for some reason he think he speaks on behalf of all gamers even playstation fans saying it needs a new controller? And being a long time sony fan from the very start there is no way Id want them to change the controller.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's because they have video reviews

People fail to read these days

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
they offered HD videos with tons of content daily for free and offered real items you can purchase by using the site. GT is still cool, though the forums are full of misinformed immature people. I dont care if one said PS3 is outdate or w/e, I just go to watch the content.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17466 Posts
Because of their AWESOME and in-depth video reviews. They ALWAYS show the gameplay footage rather than show some guy who no one knows standing there talking with the game playing in the background:P I find their reviews unbiased and informative.
sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts
1up and giantbomb are better then gametrailers imo.njean777
I just cant trust them on reviews....I mean Banjo Kazooie and MKvsDC both 5 stars?!?
lonsy02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lonsy02
Member since 2005 • 731 Posts
Great reviews and HD videos :)
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
They are very quality thats why.
TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts
I don't like them at all, I used to go there for AVGN but now I just go to Cinemassacre.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
really i like GT and all but i still listen to X-play for my reviews
treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 treelog82
Member since 2008 • 608 Posts

I like GT reviews because they usually give you a well rounded view of what the game really has going on for it, or against it. I notice sometimes GS and other sites tend to get off on a tangent when writing reviews and usually spend too much time talking about just one aspect of a game.

I also like GT since 9 times out of 10 I agree with what they have to say about a game, so of course I would rather listen to people who share similar tastes and opinions. If I listened to GS reviews I would have missed out on some awesome games and at the same time purchased some garbage titles as well. Me and GS arent on the same page.

As for the whole controller issue, Im sorry bud, but its a matter of opinion. For me DS3>>>>>>>>>>>360 controller. Doesnt mean Im right and you're wrong, its simply preference. I like one thing better about the 360s pad. Concave thumb rests on the analogs. Thats it. I enjoy every other aspect of the DS3 more. You can tell me all day that offset analogs are scientifically proven to be better, that the overall shape is better, that you like the triggers better, that you actually think the webbed D-pad is better, I dont care. You enjoy your favorite controller and I'll enjoy mine.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
Their reviews are thorough, fair, and make sense! The scores match what the reviewers say about a game. They don't spend an entire review knocking a game only to give it a 9/10.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#25 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
[QUOTE="Boogie_J"]

but ign and gamespot go back like 10 years. gametrailers originally was just a small user based site where you upload trailers for your favorite games. suddenly two years later they are the most respected videogame website?

It doesn't matter who's been around longer, or else everyone on here would agree that Nintendo's Wii is the best system out of the three current generation systems, and that obviously isn't that case here. GameTrailers just has much better reviews than GameSpot and IGN, in my opinion. GameSpot and IGN both have some absolutely terrible reviews. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for both sites, just to name one. Also, IGN tends to ramble on for eight pages about big name games like Metal Gear Solid IV, Call of Duty IV, Grand Theft Auto IV, Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Resistance 2, and such. In their Super Mario Galaxy review, it was six pages of, like, nothing... GameSpot had a fantastic review of Super Mario Galaxy. Then I watched GameTrailers' review, and was blown away. "It goes from 'it looks good enough' to 'this looks amazing.'" They are just spot on for so many things. Plus, I can actually bear watching their reviews. GameSpot has ****ty video reviews, because you have people like Greg Kasavin stuttering and finding it hard to get his words out. Watching>Reading I know, I'm a lazy, ADD teenager that doesn't appreciate blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Free HD videos...
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
I also agree with their Banjo review and it shows how out of tune other review sites are with me. 8.5? PERFECT?! (Giant Bomb).
The 6.whatever it got on GT is exactly where I would put it.
Avatar image for BanjoKazooieRPG
BanjoKazooieRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BanjoKazooieRPG
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts
Because unlike Gamespot and many other places, they're not all about reviews.
Most people go there, well I think, for their features- Bonus Round, GtTV, Screwattack's stuff that is hosted there, etc.
Avatar image for BanjoKazooieRPG
BanjoKazooieRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BanjoKazooieRPG
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts
Because unlike Gamespot and many other places, they're not all about reviews.
Most people go there, well I think, for their features- Bonus Round, GtTV, Screwattack's stuff that is hosted there, etc.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
With a lot of review sites, I just want the reviews to be on time. I wanted to check out how Unreal Tournament III would play on the 360. I waited on this site, and waited, and waited, and a MONTH after it came out, the review came up on GS. Honestly, this site is a joke with reviews, and ever since Jeff and the others left it's become a laughing stock.
Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
Gametrailers : They have the best video reviews I have ever seen from any internet source. They also get exclusive-hands on previews and footage of games that other websites would charge for, offered through some form of subscription service. And the voice narrator for their video reviews (forgot his name) is the best line reader I have ever heard from when it comes to reviews, especially the fact that he makes the script sound natural even though he isn't the original author of the script.
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts
They were the first to seriously pander to the audience that's borderline illiterate and can only follow a review if they see it in a video... Hence their popularity.
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
Gametrailers has not only nice high-def videos,but great video reviews (imo). :) They help a lot when I have my eye on a certain game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
They were the first to seriously pander to the audience that's borderline illiterate and can only follow a review if they see it in a video... Hence their popularity.Shafftehr
Or maybe those people would rather watch a review than read a review? :? You aren't above anyone for liking to read reviews instead.
ChiddaPotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChiddaPotta
Member since 2007 • 1670 Posts

When they found out ChiddaPotta from GT got a PS3 from there :)

True story. I was one of the first actually.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
They were the first to seriously pander to the audience that's borderline illiterate and can only follow a review if they see it in a video... Hence their popularity.Shafftehr
o.O Are you saying people who prefer video over text are dumb?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
[QUOTE="Shafftehr"]They were the first to seriously pander to the audience that's borderline illiterate and can only follow a review if they see it in a video... Hence their popularity.killab2oo5
o.O Are you saying people who prefer video over text are dumb?

He's what we would call an "elitist." Who cares if you're dumb, as long as you're having fun?
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
Even lazy and illiterate people can watch a video. A lot of people have trouble reading long texts on the computer/internet; when a source like IGN posts a boring, superfluous 7 page article on a game, many people would rather watch a 5 minute video than take longer to read IGN's article.
johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

ever since gamespot got caught taking money under the table it seems gametrailers took the crown of the most respected videogame website. how did they get so popular?

i remember in the early days of gametrailers, when the site just posted trailers for videogames. then they get bought out by mtv, become popular and respected, and even have their own tv show on spike.

wtf?

Boogie_J

when did gamespot get caught taking money under the table?

do you have any proof of this or just something you made up?

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Boogie_J

hit the nail on the head.

they are the mtv (literally) of videogame publication

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#41 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
Meh gt got the best "console review". They are clueless when it come to pc gaming. ex: Crysis review and the fact that they didn't gave the graphic goty to Crysis in 2007
Avatar image for Suddenstriker52
Suddenstriker52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Suddenstriker52
Member since 2005 • 996 Posts
[QUOTE="johnnyblazed88"][QUOTE="Boogie_J"]

wtf?

when did gamespot get caught taking money under the table?

do you have any proof of this or just something you made up?

Gerstmanngate. It is rumored that Jeff Gerstmann was fired for giving Kane and Lynch a 6.5 because of pressure from Eidos.
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Honestly for me it has been the fact that I tend to agree more with their reviews than GS's almost all the time...sHaDyCuBe321
Same, I also like the way they explain things in their reviews.
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Meh gt got the best "console review". They are clueless when it come to pc gaming. ex: Crysis review and the fact that they didn't gave the graphic goty to Crysis in 2007Franko_3
Lol, I remember that. They said they couldn't get it to look very good on their rig or something and weren't gonna talk about theoretical things. But the video review still looked better than any game.
fjburgos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fjburgos
Member since 2008 • 681 Posts
The only website that i repect is IGN, and gameinformer for magazine, any other i don't care about it.
Snowboarder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 Snowboarder99
Member since 2006 • 5460 Posts
I enjoy watching their reviews.  They get me hyped for the games I'm going to buy
fjburgos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 fjburgos
Member since 2008 • 681 Posts
With the recent news about gametrailers becoming a fanboy site they are losisng all the respect they gain very quickly.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
we'll we cant use GS reviews (everything's either a .0 or .5, reviewers are too scared give anything above 9.0), i go giantbomb (jeff,ryan and brad are experienced reviews so i trust them more)
signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 signore
Member since 2007 • 2122 Posts

I only care about 3 sites in terms of reviews.

IGN: Theyre starting to lose the plot unfortunately. Of late Ive noticed they seem to be the site for shock value. They give mediocre games horrible scores, or overrate a game far too much. R2 and Gears 2 do not deserve 9.5's and Haze and Socom were bad, but 4.5 is far too low. They're almost borderline terrible, but they did give Uncharted its appropriate score

GS: Like most people, i think GS is for the most way too harsh. On the otherhand, when a game does get a 9, its usually a lot more rare and probably means more than IGN, who throw out 9's like candy

GT: the best site for reviews easily. I always seem to agree with their scores, and their video reviews are unmatched in terms of quality and production. IGN and GS video reviews are pretty horrendous. GT was the only credible site that didnt give GTA4 a 10, so they get points there too. If GT has one flaw, its that they tend to give huge games (halo 3, Brawl, GTA4) a bit of an inflated grade. But all sites do really

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Video HD reviews are great.