How come all the BIG games are on consoles?

• 192 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stevelovessony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Stevelovessony
Member since 2011 • 267 Posts
Why are all the best games on consoles? Is it because developers are worried that they wont sell well on pc? I guess because of the piracy problems. Dont get me wrong i know pc has alot of good games but it seems that they are too few and far apart. Edit: i meant big games not best, pc seems to have 1 big game a year
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

watch out the angry hermit crews gonnna come and get you and shout at you bout indie games and most devs on consoles being sell outs :P

on a far far more serious note theres great games on consoles and PC.Simcity is generally seen as one of the best game franchises ever and its roots are solidly in the PC.

lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lulmont
Member since 2010 • 671 Posts

Because they arn't.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

most of the time itsbecause the console manufactorers have 1st party exclusives , its obvious whythey dont port them to PC

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#6 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
GAMES console vs. personal computer. Which one was made for games, I wonder...
ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts
GAMES console vs. personal computer. Which one was made for games, I wonder...SolidSnake35
And yet the humble personal computer can do anything the consoles do plus a hell of a lot more, just sayin ;)
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
[QUOTE="Stevelovessony"]Why are all the best games on consoles? Is it because developers are worried that they wont sell well on pc? I guess because of the piracy problems. Dont get me wrong i know pc has alot of good games but it seems that they are too few and far apart. Edit: i meant big games not best, pc seems to have 1 big game a year

Big? In content? In budget? In how much advertisement money they throw at stuff? Hyped? Anyway PC win again ;). PC have more games, higher rating. The only difference is that PC games in general dont have to spend all the millions of $ on advertisements.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11805 Posts

Is it cause we don't got scripted explosions and cutscenes going on every 10 seconds :(

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

GAMES console vs. personal computer. Which one was made for games, I wonder...SolidSnake35

Uh yeah, that's not why the big games tend to be on consoles.

The big games tend to be on the consoles because Sony and MS throw hundreds of millions of dollars into funding the games so their consoles can stand out, and sell.

PC still has a huge lead when it comes to quality games being released for it.

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

Big games, as in, with huge advertising budgets? because console exclusives are designed to sell the system aswell whilst pc exclusives arent selling the system.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 razgriz_101

Is it cause we don't got scripted explosions and cutscenes going on every 10 seconds :(

NoodleFighter

thats actually more a point to make about a game, theres a lot of games that dont do that but nice stereotyping and narrowmindedness.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

razgriz_101

thats actually more a point to make about a game, theres a lot of games that dont do that but nice stereotyping and narrowmindedness.

My job is done ;)

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]GAMES console vs. personal computer. Which one was made for games, I wonder...Ly_the_Fairy

The big games tend to be on the consoles because Sony and MS throw hundreds of millions of dollars into funding the games so their consoles can stand out, and sell.

They throw money into funding GAMES for their GAMES consoles? Hmm. Seems to make sense to me... and doesn't seem to contradict anything I said.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]GAMES console vs. personal computer. Which one was made for games, I wonder...SolidSnake35

They throw money into funding GAMES for their GAMES consoles? Hmm. Seems to make sense to me... and doesn't seem to contradict anything I said.

Strange how consoles are made for games when PC can do them just as good and better.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

because Sony & MS are greedy. :)

there are plenty of games on pc, there are a few console exclusives i would like to try but im in no hurry.

most games get released on all platforms including pc ,and im still working my way through tons of old pc classics. which are much better than most games these days.

and when pc does a get big game, it usually smashes any console games on graphics and gameplay.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

NoodleFighter

Strange how consoles are made for games when PC can do them just as good and better.

Are you suggesting consoles aren't made for games?
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AmnesiaHaze
just to keep the discussion going - consoles FTW , after spending the whole day in work infront of a PC , i rather play games stiiting in a comfortable way at home and not haveing to use keyboard and mouse anymore , the better games are just a bonus :D
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

If you mean big as in high advertisement budget, then yeah

If you mean big as in high quality and content, then hell no

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PcGamingRig

just to keep the discussion going - consoles FTW , after spending the whole day in work infront of a PC , i rather play games stiiting in a comfortable way at home and not haveing to use keyboard and mouse anymore , the better games are just a bonus :DAmnesiaHaze
here come the ridiculous *comfort* arguments again... :lol:

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] They throw money into funding GAMES for their GAMES consoles? Hmm. Seems to make sense to me... and doesn't seem to contradict anything I said.SolidSnake35

Nope, but PC has been pretty much doing it better.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

NoodleFighter

Nope, but PC has been pretty much doing it better.

Mine hasn't.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AmnesiaHaze

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"]just to keep the discussion going - consoles FTW , after spending the whole day in work infront of a PC , i rather play games stiiting in a comfortable way at home and not haveing to use keyboard and mouse anymore , the better games are just a bonus :DPcGamingRig

there might be something true about them if you see em more often, from others as well ;)

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KalDurenik

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"]just to keep the discussion going - consoles FTW , after spending the whole day in work infront of a PC , i rather play games stiiting in a comfortable way at home and not haveing to use keyboard and mouse anymore , the better games are just a bonus :DAmnesiaHaze

there might be something true about them if you see em more often, from others as well ;)

Well... I think what he meant is that you can sit by a tv, on the sofa in the bed with a controller, a wii controller, kinect or anything you want with the PC. Its not even hard. 1 cable from the PC to the tv and a controller into the usb port. DONE!
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PcGamingRig

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"]

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]here come the ridiculous *comfort* arguments again... :lol:

KalDurenik

Well... I think what he meant is that you can sit by a tv, on the sofa in the bed with a controller, a wii controller, kinect or anything you want with the PC. Its not even hard. 1 cable from the PC to the tv and a controller into the usb port. DONE!

don't even need a controller, you can get gaming chairs that have a rest for your keyboard & mouse. you don't have to use a tv either.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

NoodleFighter

My job is done ;)

All i done was say how narrrowminded you are, just as bad as a lemming or cow.Weak arguement and rebuttal is weak.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KalDurenik

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"][QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"] there might be something true about them if you see em more often, from others as well ;)

PcGamingRig

don't even need a controller, you can get gaming chairs that have a rest for your keyboard & mouse. you don't have to use a tv either.

Well you can do anything thats the point anyway :P I have a gaming chair its awesome :> and i can change over to the tv and play with a controller if i wish to (no idea why but still) :> Takes 2 button presses on the keyboard :>
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AmnesiaHaze

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"]

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]here come the ridiculous *comfort* arguments again... :lol:

KalDurenik

sure you could , but its still more complicated to make it work , most pc games are not optimized for that input method either , and the games i want to play are most of the time not on PC , i'm not a PC hater tho :D i used to play a lot on PC ... not so much now , but still playing a few rounds of CS and L4D from time to time , i just prefer the console , before i couldnt even imagine to play a FPS on a contoller , now i like it just as much

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

How come all the BIG games are on consoles?

Because you prefer more casual pick up and play gaming with an easier learning curve, it is nice to chill out on a console every now and then and let your brain switch off (granted there are a few titles that will tax you but on average pc gaming requires more thought and skill). Gaming PC's are toys for the big boys 8).

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

razgriz_101

My job is done ;)

All i done was say how narrrowminded you are, just as bad as a lemming or cow.Weak arguement and rebuttal is weak.

When I look at big console game exclusives I usually see lots of cutscenes or both :P. Yeah there's games like Tales of Vesperia but those aren't games I see Lems and Cows hype to the heavens against each other.

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

Because Sony and Microsoft pump money into their first party, PC doesn't have that luxury but you still see games like SWTOR and SC2 on it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46498 Posts

Maybe you should do some research before starting a thread. It looks as if you know nothing about PC gaming.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 razgriz_101

Consolites never learn. Over the years, countless PC vs Console threads have been made. No matter the arguments consolites presented, they were always shot down by the naturally more well informed and more knowledgeable PC gamers. Yet, here we go again, another console peasant, in grief and pain, in denial even, tries to present his point, but in vain.

QQabitmoar

what in gods name are you getting at, i hope to god someone knocks you off your high and mighty pedestal cause your more narrowminded than haberman and co and neither am i a pesant and nor are you better than me either ;)

Both PC and consoles have produced many a great game franchise from games like Mario (Mario debatably the biggest ever) and the PC haas its big ones aswell like The Sims.Both of these are highly recoqnized games in the industry.Both of them have produced great franchises its down to the designers themselves to make the games good not the platform, a misconception that seems to run with some people on this board.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

My job is done ;)

NoodleFighter

When I look at big console game exclusives I usually see lots of cutscenes or both :P. Yeah there's games like Tales of Vesperia but those aren't games I see Lems and Cows hype to the heavens against each other.

Pff son demons souls for one that game had a ton of hype and goes against the cutscene part of what your getting at anyway :P

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"][QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"] there might be something true about them if you see em more often, from others as well ;)

AmnesiaHaze

sure you could , but its still more complicated to make it work , most pc games are not optimized for that input method either , and the games i want to play are most of the time not on PC , i'm not a PC hater tho :D i used to play a lot on PC ... not so much now , but still playing a few rounds of CS and L4D from time to time , i just prefer the console , before i couldnt even imagine to play a FPS on a contoller , now i like it just as much

If I wanted I could unhook my PC from my desk setup pick it up, carry it to the living room, plop it on the floor near the TV, hook it up, turn it on, connect a controller open up a game I want and bam there we go ;).

What do you mean most PC games aren't optimized for controller inputs? Nearly all multiplat titles since this gen for the PC have built in controller support, and some exceptions don't obviously games like LoL or Shogun 2, but even for games that don't just use something like Xpadder.

ethanradd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ethanradd
Member since 2009 • 654 Posts

I dont know why people here are trying to downplay the games consoles get, are you trying to say Uncharted, Gears, Forza, God Of War, Halo, Red Dead Redemption, Super Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Demons/Dark Souls ... etc etc are not quality games? If I was PC only (like I used to be back in the days) I would be missing a lot of quality gaming

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts
Some genres are more profitable on consoles and others on PC. It's clear that you can make a truckload of cash by mainly focusing on cosoles with Action-Action/Adventure type games (Assassin's Creed, GTA4, RDR, CoD etc). These are also some of the biggest games in the industry. I think the lower price tag and that consoles are easier to use (and buy) is the reason the casual market on consoles has exploded.
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

Consolites never learn. Over the years, countless PC vs Console threads have been made. No matter the arguments consolites presented, they were always shot down by the naturally more well informed and more knowledgeable PC gamers. Yet, here we go again, another console peasant, in grief and pain, in denial even, tries to present his point, but in vain.

razgriz_101

what in gods name are you getting at, i hope to god someone knocks you off your high and mighty pedestal cause your more narrowminded than haberman and co and neither am i a pesant and nor are you better than me either ;)

Both PC and consoles have produced many a great game franchise from games like Mario (Mario debatably the biggest ever) and the PC haas its big ones aswell like The Sims.Both of these are highly recoqnized games in the industry.Both of them have produced great franchises its down to the designers themselves to make the games good not the platform, a misconception that seems to run with some people on this board.

On a more serious note, define 'big'. Warcraft 3 (cause of DotA), Lineage 2 and CS 1.6 were very BIG here, but not as much in other countries for example. CoD is not as big here as it is in the US for example. Pro Evolution and Fifa are very big here too.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I guess I don't understand the question? Tons of AAA titles are multiplat and best on PC, sure consoles have companies that create great exclusives, but the PC has a lot of fantastic exclusives as well, so what's the point of this thread? Want a list of all AAAs playable on PC or what?

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts

I dont know why people here are trying to downplay the games consoles get, are you trying to say Uncharted, Gears, Forza, God Of War, Halo, Red Dead Redemption, Super Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Demons/Dark Souls ... etc etc are not quality games? If I was PC only (like I used to be back in the days) I would be missing a lot of quality gaming

ethanradd
Being unable to play exclusives is the only disadvantage of PC gaming. But come on, to play all quality exclusives, you'll need to buy multiple consoles. Cheaper (Yes, cheaper. Do some research before you counter this.) to get a PC and stick with quality multiplats and PC exclusives. :D I know it's even cheaper to stick with a single console, but then you once again miss out on exclusives.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AmnesiaHaze

If I wanted I could unhook my PC from my desk setup pick it up, carry it to the living room, plop it on the floor near the TV, hook it up, turn it on, connect a controller open up a game I want and bam there we go ;).

What do you mean most PC games aren't optimized for controller inputs? Nearly all multiplat titles since this gen for the PC have built in controller support, and some exceptions don't obviously games like LoL or Shogun 2, but even for games that don't just use something like Xpadder.

NoodleFighter

i get ur point and ure right , but why doing all that when a solution is already in place -> console ? i was thinking about strategy games for example which i couldnt play with a controller as good or other mostly older PC games that i like , this gens multiplats i rather get on console cause im afraid they wouldnt run smooth on my specs

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Because console gamers seem to be more willing to buy more games. PC gamers buy games. Console gamers buy more games, and at a higher price.

Maybe it's a longevity thing in regards to hours of playtime per game.

Probably, arguments hermits will use to show how great PC gaming is are the very things game producers would like to avoid.

Why sell a game for 10 bucks during a Steam sale 2 months after the game comes out when I can still sell it for 60 bucks on consoles in the same timeframe?

Why offer mod support when I can put out premium DLC?

Why develop on a platform where piracy is easy and commonplace when I can release on consoles where piracy is much rarer and more difficult?

Why not support consoles when they will be replaced and their users' software libraries reset to 0, thereby creating a new and immediate demand for games? I know some people keep their old consoles, but I don't think that is the more common practice.

Why develop for PC, where hardware and software configurations vary wildly, thus leading to a ridiculous amount of testing needed before release, and tons of patching required after?

Why not develop on the closed hardware where it either works, or it doesn't?

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

I guess I don't understand the question? Tons of AAA titles are multiplat and best on PC, sure consoles have companies that create great exclusives, but the PC has a lot of fantastic exclusives as well, so what's the point of this thread? Want a list of all AAAs playable on PC or what?

ArchoNils2

Only games with budgets above 50 million are counted here.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

razgriz_101

Pff son demons souls for one that game had a ton of hype and goes against the cutscene part of what your getting at anyway :P

But lets compare that to the number of PC games that don't act like block buster games trying to be movies for the gamers.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Because PC devs spend their budget on the game, not the adverts.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
There's more money in consoles. That and companies just buy rights to the game.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

WoW was the biggest game in the world at one time before Cawadooty got so popular

remember playing Wow on console? i sure dont

also anyone should know MS/Sony pay for exclusives, PC doesnt have any company buying out games for it

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NoodleFighter

Because console gamers seem to be more willing to buy more games. PC gamers buy games. Console gamers buy more games, and at a higher price.

Maybe it's a longevity thing in regards to hours of playtime per game.

Probably, arguments hermits will use to show how great PC gaming is are the very things game producers would like to avoid.

Why sell a game for 10 bucks during a Steam sale 2 months after the game comes out when I can still sell it for 60 bucks on consoles in the same timeframe?

So you like getting ripped off if the game is crap?

Why offer mod support when I can put out premium DLC?

Premium DLC my %#$%

Why develop on a platform where piracy is easy and commonplace when I can release on consoles where piracy is much rarer and more difficult?

Why develop on platforms where you have to pay royalty fees to companies?

Why not support consoles when they will be replaced and their users' software libraries reset to 0, thereby creating a new and immediate demand for games? I know some people keep their old consoles, but I don't think that is the more common practice.

Why develop for PC, where hardware and software configurations vary wildly, thus leading to a ridiculous amount of testing needed before release, and tons of patching required after?

PC is the easiest platform to develop on why not devs code games to actually use wide range of hardware.

Why not develop on the closed hardware where it either works, or it doesn't?

Why not develop on wide or open range hardware where you'll be limited less likely?

Pug-Nasty