how can someone say MAG lacks innovation?.. (update)

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8411 Posts

firstly, a disclaimer: i personally enjoyed the Beta.. the game actually exceeded my expectations and the few gripes i had (like not being able to melee while reloading) have seemed to been addressed post-beta.. i know alot of people on these boards didnt enjoy the beta.. and that's fine.. i just wanted to clear up what seems to be some common misconceptions..

firstly, i can readily admit that MAG isnt for everybody.. considering the size, scale, and scope of the combat, it's actually more like a FPS/RTS hybrid rather than your typical run-n-gunner.. as i read alot of posts from MAG bashers, i'm thinking that plenty of my fellow gamers arent taking this into account.. i mean, there are some very good baseball games out there.. i've never really been a fan ofbaseball games, so just because i dont like that particular style of play, does that mean that the baseball game im playing sucks?.. no.. it just means that it's probably a great baseball game and that baseball probably isnt my sports game of choice.. i think a similar thing is happening with MAG..

let's face it, most diehard Halo or CoD:MW players probably arent going to get excited about a traditional RTS.. RTS type gameplay is a far cry from the fast pace of these type FPSs.. and this is where the MAG problem begins.. MAG isnt CoD:MW2 and it isnt trying to be.. the same people that are saying that MAG isnt innovative and that it's "bland" are the same people who are trying to shoehorn MAG into the MW2 mold, imo..

MAG is a FPS that uses RTS type gameplay elements to allow real players to coordinate up to 256 player battles in real-time.. let that sink in for a second.. that is truly a FPS/RTS hybrid.. not your typical 16 player FPS..

we're not talking about 8 v 8 battles with one simple objective.. sure that's fast paced fun and if that's what you want, i can respect that.. but this obviously isnt what MAG is going for.. so dont bash it for not fitting into that mold.. MAG is about huge 64 - 256 player battles that are commanded in real-time by a handfull of qualified leaders.. leadership positions that are earned, not given.. u want innovation?.. there it is.. what other console shooter lets you fight through the ranks to eventually command a 128 man company helmed by 4 platoon leaders and 16 squad leaders?.. NONE.. there's your innovation.. is this type of gameplay for everybody?.. no.. but dont say the game lacks innovation when no other console FPS has even approached this level of ambition..

in MAG, the people who want to hop in, complete some objectives and get some kills in a relatively intimate combat setting can do just that.. typically only 1 or 2 eight-player squads will be assigned to either attack or defend a given objective.. which equates to your typical 16 v 16 FPS fare.. Sabotage is the perfect example of this.. and in bigger 128 and 256 player battles, this basic principle holds true for the majority of a given game because initially the individual squads have to push back the defenders (an 8 player squad destroying a bunker that's being defended by another 8 player squad for example) until eventually the fullscale battle ensues at the climatic final objective.. and all this action will be coordinated by the more hardcore players who have become squad, platoon, and company leaders.. you simply cant find this on consoles anywhere else on this scale.. once again, there's your innovation and there's your ambition.. and with that, you've still offered something for both the extremely hardcore and the more casual.. personally, i dont think Zipper is getting enough credit for their efforts.. and its probably because of the wild popularity of a blockbusters like MW2 that offer a more simple and accessble style of play.. which is fair.. but also recognize that this isnt the style of play MAG is aiming for in the first place..

bottomline?.. atleast judge MAG based upon the type of game that Zipper was aiming to make.. the first FPS/RTS of this scale on consoles.. dont judge it for not providing your quick run-and-gun MW2 fix.. and yea, sry for "teh wall of text".. after reading so many people bashing MAG for the wrong reasons i felt like atleast somebody should start a discussion to set some misconceptions straight..

thank you to anybody that took the time to actually read all this, lol..

**UPDATE**

my thoughts on the subject are echoed by the joystiq review of MAG:

"MAG is one of the most ambitious, innovative games I've played over the course of the past year -- and considering the past year has seen the introduction of a disc-jockey simulator and a game you play exclusively with your feet, I think that's a braggable claim."

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/28/review-mag/

Avatar image for illegalimigrant
illegalimigrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 illegalimigrant
Member since 2008 • 1402 Posts
I think a great way to summarize the game is battlefield 3 with destructible environments replaced with a deep communication and battlefield management system.
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
See that's the problem. You get control over the team but what if the team doesn't follow your orders? You can't say "Oh PSN doesn't have people like that". Truth is, people communicate on PSN less than XBL and with this kinda game, communication is key but what happens when people won't listen to you? Ruins the whole fun of being a leader imo
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

....um blog?

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Antwan3K

[QUOTE="Antwan3K"] ****Wall of text***** Nibroc420
Blog it.

well, there was alot that needed to be said..and ofcourse MAG (being a PS3 exclusive) is getting alot of negative attention from players that either havent played it, played it and immediately compared it to MW2 or Halo, and/or just blindly want the game to fail because it's a PS3 exclusive..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Antwan3K

See that's the problem. You get control over the team but what if the team doesn't follow your orders? You can't say "Oh PSN doesn't have people like that". Truth is, people communicate on PSN less than XBL and with this kinda game, communication is key but what happens when people won't listen to you? Ruins the whole fun of being a leader imo93soccer

well, there's an enormous encentive to "listen" to your leaders and follow objectives.. simply because you can EASILY get double to triple your exp by following the objectives that are clearly laid out by your leaders.. sure, you can go lonewolf.. but you'll be leveling up extremely slow by comparison to simply following the objective that plainly displayed in the top left corner of your screen.. and who willingly wants to level up slower than everyone else?.. going lonewolf may get you more xp in other shooters.. not in MAG,,

illegalimigrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 illegalimigrant
[QUOTE="93soccer"]See that's the problem. You get control over the team but what if the team doesn't follow your orders? You can't say "Oh PSN doesn't have people like that". Truth is, people communicate on PSN less than XBL and with this kinda game, communication is key but what happens when people won't listen to you? Ruins the whole fun of being a leader imo

Well from my experience the higher the level of a player the more they listen. Level 1 characters hardly ever follow orders. But once you have level 10 character they will do so sometimes. Level 25 and up almost always follow orders. And once you get a squad full of good players if you don't follow orders you will be kicked from the squad(Which includes the current battle) so how is that for an incentive. I had given some orders and this guy is like what you think you are better than me because you are squad captain and don't tell me what to do just play the game. Another fellow squadmember initialized a vote to kick him saying that is what you get for not following orders. They guy got kicked needless to say. After that I really started to give orders as squad leader and to follow orders as a grunt.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

PS2's Online had SOCOM, one of THE BEST communities for online gaming and teamwork I've ever experienced.

Pointing at PSN fails, since PSN > PS2's Online.

peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 peaceoutmedusa
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts
I think a great way to summarize the game is battlefield 3 with destructible environments replaced with a deep communication and battlefield management system.illegalimigrant
except that the sound/gameplay of this game is crap.
illegalimigrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 illegalimigrant
[QUOTE="illegalimigrant"]I think a great way to summarize the game is battlefield 3 with destructible environments replaced with a deep communication and battlefield management system.peaceoutmedusa
except that the sound/gameplay of this game is crap.

Explain how so?
Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Antwan3K

[QUOTE="93soccer"]See that's the problem. You get control over the team but what if the team doesn't follow your orders? You can't say "Oh PSN doesn't have people like that". Truth is, people communicate on PSN less than XBL and with this kinda game, communication is key but what happens when people won't listen to you? Ruins the whole fun of being a leader imoillegalimigrant
Well from my experience the higher the level of a player the more they listen. Level 1 characters hardly ever follow orders. But once you have level 10 character they will do so sometimes. Level 25 and up almost always follow orders. And once you get a squad full of good players if you don't follow orders you will be kicked from the squad(Which includes the current battle) so how is that for an incentive. I had given some orders and this guy is like what you think you are better than me because you are squad captain and don't tell me what to do just play the game. Another fellow squadmember initialized a vote to kick him saying that is what you get for not following orders. They guy got kicked needless to say. After that I really started to give orders as squad leader and to follow orders as a grunt.

good point.. i mean, as you level up, learn the game, and have a desire to reach your next level, the typical player is going to improve his skill set and also follow the objectives.. also, people who have been squad leader before will typically respect your orders.. and this doesnt even mention the leadership point system.. there are plenty of reasons to play this game correctly..

13C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 13C
Member since 2010 • 1024 Posts

The game isnt my cup of tea but after playing beta a know that what it offers is much different to games like halo/CoD/KZ/R ect. This is a game that ppl who enjoy strategies and working together for a common objective will want to buy.

pstripl3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pstripl3
Member since 2007 • 795 Posts

firstly, a disclaimer: i personally enjoyed the Beta.. the game actually exceeded my expectations and the few gripes i had (like not being able to melee while reloading) have seemed to been addressed post-beta.. i know alot of people on these boards didnt enjoy the beta.. and that's fine.. i just wanted to clear up what seems to be some common misconceptions..

firstly, i can readily admit that MAG isnt for everybody.. considering the size, scale, and scope of the combat, it's actually more like a FPS/RTS hybrid rather than your typical run-n-gunner.. as i read alot of posts from MAG bashers, i'm thinking that plenty of my fellow gamers arent taking this into account.. i mean, there are some very good baseball games out there.. i've never really been a fan ofbaseball games, so just because i dont like that particular style of play, does that mean that the baseball game im playing sucks?.. no.. it just means that it's probably a great baseball game and that baseball probably isnt my sports game of choice.. i think a similar thing is happening with MAG..

let's face it, most diehard Halo or CoD:MW players probably arent going to get excited about a traditional RTS.. RTS type gameplay is a far cry from the fast pace of these type FPSs.. and this is where the MAG problem begins.. MAG isnt CoD:MW2 and it isnt trying to be.. the same people that are saying that MAG isnt innovative and that it's "bland" are the same people who are trying to shoehorn MAG into the MW2 mold, imo..

MAG is a FPS that uses RTS type gameplay elements to allow real players to coordinate up to 256 player battles in real-time.. let that sink in for a second.. that is truly a FPS/RTS hybrid.. not your typical 16 player FPS..

we're not talking about 8 v 8 battles with one simple objective.. sure that's fast paced fun and if that's what you want, i can respect that.. but this obviously isnt what MAG is going for.. so dont bash it for not fitting into that mold.. MAG is about huge 64 - 256 player battles that are commanded in real-time by a handfull of qualified leaders.. leadership positions that are earned, not given.. u want innovation?.. there it is.. what other console shooter lets you fight through the ranks to eventually command a 128 man company helmed by 4 platoon leaders and 16 squad leaders?.. NONE.. there's your innovation.. is this type of gameplay for everybody?.. no.. but dont say the game lacks innovation when no other console FPS has even approached this level of ambition..

in MAG, the people who want to hop in, complete some objectives and get some kills in a relatively intimate combat setting can do just that.. typically only 1 or 2 eight-player squads will be assigned to either attack or defend a given objective.. which equates to your typical 16 v 16 FPS fare.. Sabotage is the perfect example of this.. and in bigger 128 and 256 player battles, this basic principle holds true for the majority of a given game because initially the individual squads have to push back the defenders (an 8 player squad destroying a bunker that's being defended by another 8 player squad for example) until eventually the fullscale battle ensues at the climatic final objective.. and all this action will be coordinated by the more hardcore players who have become squad, platoon, and company leaders.. you simply cant find this on consoles anywhere else on this scale.. once again, there's your innovation and there's your ambition.. and with that, you've still offered something for both the extremely hardcore and the more casual.. personally, i dont think Zipper is getting enough credit for their efforts.. and its probably because of the wild popularity of a blockbusters like MW2 that offer a more simple and accessble style of play.. which is fair.. but also recognize that this isnt the style of play MAG is aiming for in the first place..

bottomline?.. atleast judge MAG based upon the type of game that Zipper was aiming to make.. the first FPS/RTS of this scale on consoles.. dont judge it for not providing your quick run-and-gun MW2 fix.. and yea, sry for "teh wall of text".. after reading so many people bashing MAG for the wrong reasons i felt like atleast somebody should start a discussion to set some misconceptions straight..

Antwan3K
you tell em! I'm giving MAG a try after what you said because I myself believe that is true.
hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts

MAG is a amazing game. Bottem line.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Because it lacks innovation?

there is nothing innovative in MAG every thing in it has been done before, and done better in some ways.

washd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 washd123
Member since 2003 • 3418 Posts

Antwan3K

bottom line battlefield 2 came outr in 2004 with commands like this

operation flashpoint was there in 2001 with theoretically unlimted players

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

As someone who has payed little attention to MAG, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say more players=/=innovation.

illegalimigrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 illegalimigrant

As someone who has payed little attention to MAG, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say more players=/=innovation.

DarkLink77
By those stardards battlefield 2 was awful.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

illegalimigrant

Not awful, just not innovative. I mean, shouldn't we be expecting larger battles as tech gets better, like we do with better graphics? Seems like normal progression to me, not innovation. Though dedicated servers on a console game is something everyone should do.
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

DarkLink77

Agreed. Increasing the player count is an improvement, not innovation.

I haven't played the game though, so whether its innovative or not I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt it'll be a good game regardless.

brumley53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 brumley53
Member since 2007 • 287 Posts

[QUOTE="Antwan3K"]

washd123

Hardly anyone used the commands in battle field 2 because it didnt give you any reward for it this fixes that problem.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Antwan3K

DarkLink77

what other console FPS/RTS hybrid lets you fight through the ranks of leadership to eventually lead a 128 man company with 4 platoon leaders and 16 squad leaders comprised of real players commanding every single event in the game in realtime (not to mention the persistent world "shadow war" that is dependant upon your chosen faction's battle success and failure)?..

none?.. yep, sounds like innovation to me..

illegalimigrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 illegalimigrant
[QUOTE="illegalimigrant"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Not awful, just not innovative. I mean, shouldn't we be expecting larger battles as tech gets better, like we do with better graphics? Seems like normal progression to me, not innovation. Though dedicated servers on a console game is something everyone should do.

Does inovation translate to fun. I think this game has done many things that no other game has done 256 battles with a solid communication command structure. What game has done that?
Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Antwan3K

It lacks innovation because it has all been done before. What's so hard to understand about that? The only thing innovative in gaming this gen has been the motion controls on the Wii, and even that has been done before, but not on such a large level. To believe that an onlive FPS/RTS hybrid is somehow innovative is just plain silly.

farrell2k

ok, well name another console FPS this gen that has done 256 players with this type of command structure, communication system,and persistent world faction tracking..

and by the way, according to your logic, the Wiimote isnt innovative either.. it's just the logical progression established by the power glove and light guns.. so how does the larger scale of the wiimote qualify as innovation yet the larger scale of MAG doesnt?...

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

the fact that you slapped RTS 'style' all over this game made me hate it more:

why?

first, and will never be done better as an FPS/RTS.

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

[QUOTE="farrell2k"]

It lacks innovation because it has all been done before. What's so hard to understand about that? The only thing innovative in gaming this gen has been the motion controls on the Wii, and even that has been done before, but not on such a large level. To believe that an onlive FPS/RTS hybrid is somehow innovative is just plain silly.

Antwan3K

ok, well name another console FPS this gen that has done 256 players with this type of command structure, communication system,and persistent world faction tracking..

and by the way, according to your logic, the Wiimote isnt innovative either.. it's just the logical progression established by the power glove and light guns.. so how does the larger scale of the wiimote qualify as innovation yet the larger scale of MAG doesnt?...

MAG is definitely the first of this scale on consoles (it's been done on PC with Battleground Europe and Planetside). Dust 514 offers what you're describing, and judging from this demonstration it will be far more impressive than MAG. Dust 514 is also going to connect to EVE Online, which is going beyond MAG's level of persistence.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

there is nothing innovative in MAG every thing in it has been done before, and done better in some ways.

illegalimigrant

Why keep trolling man? Everywhere a MAG thread starts you are there to say you played the beta it was awful. The 256 battles were lame. However you had to have played at least 7 hours to get to level 10 to even play the 256 battles. And if you played 7 hours the game was not that bad now was it. You bash any sony game so why should anyone give a brown cake about your opinion.

lol great comeback, and actually in the early days of the beta 256players would be open at random days to any one. the gametypes were not level restricted in the beta all the time, infact all the gametypes weren't even open the gametype most played was aquisition because zipper interactive would have that gametype and only that gametype open the majority of the time. don't try to debate MAG knowledge with me, i will likely destroy you.

oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

256p is a mess...KZ2's 32p warzone is alraedy a mess.

beside 256p, what's new about MAG?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WilliamRLBaker

256p is a mess...KZ2's 32p warzone is alraedy a mess.

beside 256p, what's new about MAG?

oajlu
presistant worlds? no Mechassault 2 did that on the original xbox *and other games* Command structure? no been done before just by a clan doing it without in game interfaces, innovation is something new that's not the expression of it might be new though i swear there are some pc games that do similar
washd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 washd123
Member since 2003 • 3418 Posts

Hardly anyone used the commands in battle field 2 because it didnt give you any reward for it this fixes that problem.

brumley53

which means its not innovative

illegalimigrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 illegalimigrant

[QUOTE="illegalimigrant"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

WilliamRLBaker

Why keep trolling man? Everywhere a MAG thread starts you are there to say you played the beta it was awful. The 256 battles were lame. However you had to have played at least 7 hours to get to level 10 to even play the 256 battles. And if you played 7 hours the game was not that bad now was it. You bash any sony game so why should anyone give a brown cake about your opinion.

lol great comeback, and actually in the early days of the beta 256players would be open at random days to any one. the gametypes were not level restricted in the beta all the time, infact all the gametypes weren't even open the gametype most played was aquisition because zipper interactive would have that gametype and only that gametype open the majority of the time. don't try to debate MAG knowledge with me, i will likely destroy you.

Again you destroy yourself. You played all betas but then hated the game. Do you have nothing better to do in your life than play games that you think are horrible. Try replacing the angry nintendo nerd. Seriously last I asked you about that it was because you played enough of it to know it was bad. But then again you now say that you know everything about it? Does not make logical sense. Its like a person saying crap taste horrible but I eat so much to know exactly how it taste.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

I don't think MAG brings anything new to the FPS table whatsoever, but if the game floats your boat, enjoy it.

Avatar image for alittletoohappy
alittletoohappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 alittletoohappy
Member since 2006 • 1254 Posts
firstly, i can readily admit that MAG isnt for everybody..Antwan3K
Damn, and I finally thought I'd found a game I could play with my grandma. That being said, you're kind of committing a sharpshooter fallacy.

what other console shooter lets you fight through the ranks to eventually command a 128 man company helmed by 4 platoon leaders and 16 squad leaders?

You treat the extra qualifiers as making it that much more innovative when really it makes it a game of guess who. I could say, 'what other game has you play as a blue hedgehog that runs at extremely high speeds in order to collect gold rings that kind of act as health even though you never really run out unless you're sucking at the boss battles but more likely, you'll fall to your death three quarters of the time? None I tell you!' Cutting out the specifics, it's 'what game has you playing with a lot of people with chain of command loosely based on experience.' Quite a few really. Keeping a fair number of specifics, it's 'what game has you playing with 256 players, especially on consoles?' And yeah, that's innovative, but isn't nearly enough to carry the game on its own. In fact, the extra numbers might even feel cumbersome if the gameplay isn't overhauled in a way that really supports it. I think MAG is extremely important because I believe it inspires a new bar to reach, but I think it's probably going to be a miss on the first go. Essentially, I feel MAG will be the one to get the great idea, and someone else will be the one to carry it through. Kind of the way these things work anyway.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

[QUOTE="washd123"]

[QUOTE="Antwan3K"]

brumley53

i dont think you ever played BF2. if a squad was getting support from its commander it followed its commands, spending most of my time in BF2 as a squad leader and winning over 75% of my games i should know. i also spent a good amount of my near 400hrs of that game as a commander
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

[QUOTE="illegalimigrant"] Why keep trolling man? Everywhere a MAG thread starts you are there to say you played the beta it was awful. The 256 battles were lame. However you had to have played at least 7 hours to get to level 10 to even play the 256 battles. And if you played 7 hours the game was not that bad now was it. You bash any sony game so why should anyone give a brown cake about your opinion.

illegalimigrant

Again you destroy yourself. You played all betas but then hated the game. Do you have nothing better to do in your life than play games that you think are horrible. Try replacing the angry nintendo nerd. Seriously last I asked you about that it was because you played enough of it to know it was bad. But then again you now say that you know everything about it? Does not make logical sense. Its like a person saying crap taste horrible but I eat so much to know exactly how it taste.

Come back when you have a stronger argument till then your own logic is what doesn't make sense, If we go by your logic then reviewers dont play games they dislike they only play games they like, Its called having a sense of a thing, you play it to get a sense of a thing, so as to know weither its worth the extended play time, it only took me about a week or 2 to know most every thing about MAG when it came to internal gameplay, MAG is not hard to learn

Your argument was failed upon inception when you claimed i was trolling. If you knew any thing I've hyped the Game A-AA not crap, not horrible, but A-AA not worth 60 dollars at retail but maybe 30 dollars. I've gone so far as to say i had fun with the game when i did play it, but not enough fun to warrant a AAA or even AAAA score, and certainly not shoveling out 60 dollars for the purchase of it.

I know one fact, Atleast when I put down a game i try to play it to see if i am justified in my dislike of a game.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

illegalimigrant

he's not actually trolling, he's right, everything in MAG has been done before,, it's not the first game of it's type, you have operation flashpoint, battlefield and Arma, all games which between them have every feature that you get in MAG, it may implement those features well, but it doesn't innnovate or really add anything new to the tactical squad based online shooter
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="illegalimigrant"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

delta3074

he's not actually trolling, he's right, everything in MAG has been done before,, it's not the first game of it's type, you have operation flashpoint, battlefield and Arma, all games which between them have every feature that you get in MAG, it may implement those features well, but it doesn't innnovate or really add anything new to the tactical squad based online shooter

I'm not trolling because i dont go into mag threads saying its crap cause i played the beta, I go into mag threads saying its not an AAA title or worth 60 dollars cause i've played the beta extensively, Its an A-AA title and worth 30 dollars.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
You've never played an RTS have you. Commanding people =/= an RTS. There's no strategy in trying to get a bunch of people to follow you to an objective, just face it, it's a team based FPS, same as LOTS of FPS that have come before it.
ksko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ksko
Member since 2007 • 509 Posts

I see the same old haters xD

I read your wall of text , agree with you!

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Antwan3K

You've never played an RTS have you. Commanding people =/= an RTS. There's no strategy in trying to get a bunch of people to follow you to an objective, just face it, it's a team based FPS, same as LOTS of FPS that have come before it.bobbetybob

and you havnet played MAG because you have many more leadership abilities that simply commanding people..

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
MAGs a great FPS, but it does nothing new.
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shane_orija
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts

You've never played an RTS have you. Commanding people =/= an RTS. There's no strategy in trying to get a bunch of people to follow you to an objective, just face it, it's a team based FPS, same as LOTS of FPS that have come before it.bobbetybob

Then what is a RTS if it isn't about maneuvering units to accomplish an objective?

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Mag honestly doesn't bring anything new to the table. It just a average fps at best. With 256 players. and probley 100 campers

it wouldn't be bad if you can get a bunch of friends together and play it

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]

and you havnet played MAG because you have many more leadership abilities that simply commanding people..

Antwan3K

You're right I haven't played MAG, so I just looked it up and yeah, it still doesn't sound much like an RTS. It actually sounds irritating that one guy getting the ability to call in parachute drops and supplies, especially if they don't do it well. Just because they're a high level player doesn't necessarily mean they'll want to do this stuff. As for commanding troops, I just don't think people will listen, sorry but even in online co-op games, people rarely listen to you, or aren't paying attention enough to follow your commands, and what if they want to go on the game and speak to a friend? They won't be able to because they'll have to listen to the commands constantly.

I think the big, big problem is, this is only happening for one person, only one person is getting this "RTS" experience, the other are getting, from what I've heard, a fairly dull shooter, where they're not allowed to even do their own thing without getting killed constantly. And that's another problem, is how the game has been marketed. Listening to all this is sounds like it's almost a tactical shooter, I didn't know that, most people didn't know that, because Zipper have been too busy going "Look 256 player! Big battles!" When they should, by the sounds of it, been touting the teamwork aspect.

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]You've never played an RTS have you. Commanding people =/= an RTS. There's no strategy in trying to get a bunch of people to follow you to an objective, just face it, it's a team based FPS, same as LOTS of FPS that have come before it.shane_orija

Then what is a RTS if it isn't about maneuvering units to accomplish an objective?

That's not what I meant, what I meant is that the ability to command people does not make a game an RTS, you can command people in Op Flashpoint, does that make it an RTS? What about RS:Vegas? Nope, both tactical shooters.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

I can appreciate what Zipper is trying to do. But you can't have something different for the sake of being different. If a game mechanic just doesn't resonate with many people, then is it a good innovation? Or is it innovation for innovation's sake?

There has to be a balance between something familiar and somthing different. It could be that MAG skews too far to "different" for people to get their heads wrapped around. That's not just in terms of buying the game, but in terms of playing the game in the way that the developers originally envisioned.

But who knows? Maybe once it's out in the wild for a bit, it'll catch on. I wouldn't expect immediate acceptance on the day of release.