Hollow Knight Silksong gameplay

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (33229 posts) -

Artistical Tim Burton game if Tim Burton still had talent.

Basically it's more Hollow Knight.

That's it.

Avatar image for Gamerno6666
#2 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6730 posts) -

Please dont go exclusive to epic store. But i have a feeling they might.

Avatar image for BassMan
#3 Posted by BassMan (10163 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Basically it's more Hollow Knight.

That's it.

Which is a very good thing as Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30970 posts) -

This is what 2D games should look like: High quality sprites like this and Ori.

Not your "we made our game look like 8-bit crap because it's nostalgic, see?"

Avatar image for BassMan
#5 Edited by BassMan (10163 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

This is what 2D games should look like: High quality sprites like this and Ori.

Not your "we made our game look like 8-bit crap because it's nostalgic, see?"

Avatar image for XVision84
#6 Posted by XVision84 (15933 posts) -

Wish I could understand the hype behind these games. I was utterly bored playing through it, only thing that I liked was the art style. Played the first 2 to 3 hours then stopped. I feel like I'm missing something.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#7 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (28994 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

This is what 2D games should look like: High quality sprites like this and Ori.

Not your "we made our game look like 8-bit crap because it's nostalgic, see?"

Honestly I feel Celeste really let me down in that aspect. The sprite models are really lacking and there's no excuse for it. OWL BOY got it right, either look like a high end SNES game or GTFO with that NES bull nonsense.

And then you have battletoads which looks like a flash game.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#8 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30970 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Honestly I feel Celeste really let me down in that aspect. The sprite models are really lacking and there's no excuse for it. OWL BOY got it right, either look like a high end SNES game or GTFO with that NES bull nonsense.

And then you have battletoads which looks like a flash game.

Yup, you nailed it!

I love a good HD look with 16bit high quality sprites.

But there were a ton of hideous looking 8bit and 16bit games as well, back in those gens, we don't need games looking like that again.

Avatar image for daredevils2k
#9 Posted by Daredevils2k (2028 posts) -

I can't wait for the switch release

Avatar image for Litchie
#10 Posted by Litchie (23852 posts) -

First one was amazeballs. Can't wait.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#11 Posted by MirkoS77 (14120 posts) -

@XVision84: that’s probably why. 2-3 hours really isn’t enough to gain the abilities and charms that open up the game and make it so fun and such a tailored experience.

Avatar image for Litchie
#12 Edited by Litchie (23852 posts) -
@XVision84 said:

Wish I could understand the hype behind these games. I was utterly bored playing through it, only thing that I liked was the art style. Played the first 2 to 3 hours then stopped. I feel like I'm missing something.

Personally, I really enjoy the progression system in them, unlocking new paths and see them come together to form a world. With Hollow Knight the challenge was great, the graphics and sound and level design was great. Unraveling the mysteries of the world was interesting. As you go you get all these powers you can play around with and shit. It's really cool, but I can see why someone wouldn't enjoy it.

Avatar image for XVision84
#13 Posted by XVision84 (15933 posts) -

@MirkoS77: Approximately at what point does all that happen? I'm willing to give it another shot since the whole game was well received but I'd like to get an idea of how much time I gotta invest since I found the beginning really boring.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#14 Edited by uninspiredcup (33229 posts) -

@BassMan said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Basically it's more Hollow Knight.

That's it.

Which is a very good thing as Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games.

Haven't played it yet. But basically everything I have heard has been overwhelmingly positive until Xvision84 fucking ruined it.

@R4gn4r0k said:

This is what 2D games should look like: High quality sprites like this and Ori.

Not your "we made our game look like 8-bit crap because it's nostalgic, see?"

Agree and disagree? I mean, I get your point, and it's right. Pixel art and "ze art" chin stroking pretentious twaddle, can basically be a get out of jail pass for lazy ass art-design and lazy, non existent game design.

But not all minimalist retro style games are necessarily bad. Gato Roboto, which was recently released basically just looks like a C64 game, but it tries what it can with what little resources it has to inject character into the game. And it's cheap. About 1/4 the price of Hollow Knight.

As long as they put effort into the pixel art, the game is obviously good and it's reasonably (i.e. not Switch tax) price, then no bones here.

Avatar image for appariti0n
#15 Posted by appariti0n (2757 posts) -

Hollow Knight is awesome, so more hollow knight = more awesome.

Avatar image for briguyb13
#16 Posted by briguyb13 (3043 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

"Basically it's more Hollow Knight.

That's it."

That's all it needs to be. Hollow Knight is one of the best games of all time.

Avatar image for raining51
#17 Posted by Raining51 (1011 posts) -

Nice

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#18 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30970 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Agree and disagree? I mean, I get your point, and it's right. Pixel art and "ze art" chin stroking pretentious twaddle, can basically be a get out of jail pass for lazy ass art-design and lazy, non existent game design.

But not all minimalist retro style games are necessarily bad. Gato Roboto, which was recently released basically just looks like a C64 game, but it tries what it can with what little resources it has to inject character into the game. And it's cheap. About 1/4 the price of Hollow Knight.

As long as they put effort into the pixel art, the game is obviously good and it's reasonably (i.e. not Switch tax) price, then no bones here.

Agree, I mean the more diversity the better. And there are a ton of pixelart games I like.

Recently I was blown away with Shakedown Hawaii's artstyle, but that is 16bit.

Avatar image for Litchie
#19 Edited by Litchie (23852 posts) -

You can grab ledges now. Nice. And sprint? Cool.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#20 Posted by MirkoS77 (14120 posts) -

@XVision84 said:

@MirkoS77: Approximately at what point does all that happen? I'm willing to give it another shot since the whole game was well received but I'd like to get an idea of how much time I gotta invest since I found the beginning really boring.

Gathering charms extends the entire length of the game as their abilities oftentimes open up new areas to explore. It's also hard to say how far you are along at 2-3 hours, so let me just ask: did you get the Shade Cloak? It comes after a boss fight. It makes traversal far more fun and quick. I'd say if not, play it again and give it a chance until you get that upgrade and a few others (the charm gathering swarm is imperative early on when money is low too).

If at that point you're still not feeling it, then I'd say it's not going to get any better foundationally, it's just going to expand.