Hermits, did you guys know this all along? (Nvidia J'accuse!)

• 165 results
Whistle_Blower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Hermits, did you guys know this all along? (Nvidia J'accuse!) (78 votes)

AMD 63%
NVIDIA 37%

POLL QUESTION: WHO IS MORE CUSTOMER FRIENDLY/ORIENTED?

At what point does it go from "It's just business" to, "Ok, enough is enough".

I'm going to wait for Pascal but I think my next rig will be with AMD. I don't support assholes,

• 
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

yes

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

AMD has always been more consumer friendly and oriented, they have better price/performance ratios and all of their technologies are open source.

Whistle_Blower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Whistle_Blower
Member since 2015 • 291 Posts

@lostrib said:

yes

I'm pretty disappointed in Nvidia. I've always been weary of their prices and hourly gpu releases.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

You really should put a brief summary as to what this is about if you want any sort of life to this thread.

As it stands now, we are being forced to watch this video if we feel like participating.

Whistle_Blower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Whistle_Blower

@nyadc said:

AMD has always been more consumer friendly and oriented, they have better price/performance ratios and all of their technologies are open source.

I was discouraged against going with AMD GPUs for my last year build but I'm going to wait for Pascal to see what it offers, and then I'll know if I want to go with AMD this year when I upgrade. Nvidia are merciless money guzzlers and us gamers are responsible for what they've become.

Whistle_Blower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Whistle_Blower

@danjammer69 said:

You really should put a brief summary as to what this is about if you want any sort of life to this thread.

As it stands now, we are being forced to watch this video if we feel like participating.

it gets to the point and it goes fast. If you're too lazy to watch a 7 minute video then your response is probably going to be a lazy one as well, even if there was a tldr summary. I'd say good riddance.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NyaDC

@whistle_blower said:
@nyadc said:

I was discouraged against going with AMD GPUs for my last year build but I'm going to wait for Pascal to see what it offers, and then I'll know if I want to go with AMD this year when I upgrade. Nvidia are merciless money guzzlers and us gamers are responsible for what they've become.

I haven't owned an Nvidia GPU in over a decade simply because of the company they are and the way they conduct business, it's deplorable, it's greedy, they try to snuff out the free market, cripple games so they perform poorly on AMD based systems, they're fucking ridiculous.

I honestly believe that MOST people who purchase Nvidia GPU's are idiots, complete and utter idiots who get sucked into all of this with viral marketing and equally as idiotic word of mouth from other ignorant people... Not to mention I don't consider most of them real PC gamers because what kind of PC gamer would support a company who is destroying it...

They have no vested interest in bettering the market for gaming or for the consumer, they want to control and dictate it, they're assholes.

AMD vs. Nvidia is a typical David and Goliath scenario, and in the end I hope AMD destroys them regardless of them being the market minority right now.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

AMD master race baby, get away from me filthy nvidia peasants.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Oh yeah Nvidia are a bunch of dicks, pity their driver support and gpu's are really good. I'll go back to AMD in a heartbeat as soon as they get driver support that rivals Nvidia.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NyaDC

@sailor232 said:

Oh yeah Nvidia are a bunch of dicks, pity their driver support and gpu's are really good. I'll go back to AMD in a heartbeat as soon as they get driver support that rivals Nvidia.

There's really nothing wrong with their drivers, I don't know what more you could want from them.

It's been years since AMD(ATI) drivers have been problematic, I do not understand how after all these years this completely eradicated and non-existent problem still exists as a stigma.

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

I think its also up to the developers to make sure that their games work with both platforms just as good.

Its a dick move by Nvidia with what happened in The Witcher 3...but isnt the main responsibility lies on CDProjekt to make sure AMD users aren't that badly affected?

I'm using AMD right now but I'm partial to both. I use what I feel will fit my needs to most.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Mostly Amd, last nvidia gpu was the 650ti, and the same goes for cpus as well!!!

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I haven't used AMD video card for almost ten years, and I always saw them as more customer friendly. I switched to nVIDIA because of game support and drivers.

I've been thinking about going back to AMD for the last couple of months. Their hardware is cheaper and I heard that they have greatly improved their driver support as well.

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

@whistle_blower said:
@danjammer69 said:

it gets to the point and it goes fast. If you're too lazy to watch a 7 minute video then your response is probably going to be a lazy one as well, even if there was a tldr summary. I'd say good riddance.

Nah he's got a good point, we shouldn't have to watch a 7 Minute video to know what this thread is about. I'm sure most people here have better things to do than watching some random 7 Minute video on YouTube.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#15 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

I haven't used AMD video card for almost ten years, and I always saw them as more customer friendly. I switched to nVIDIA because of game support and drivers.

I've been thinking about going back to AMD for the last couple of months. Their hardware is cheaper and I heard that they have greatly improved their driver support as well.

same here.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

NVIDIA.... more crash into desktop...

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

That video is ridiculous. Why would competition between 2 competing companies be "fair." The real world doesn't work that way folks. I also had an issue with the guy in the video claiming that half of the PC market can't use certain graphical features because Nvidia won't play nice. In Q4 Nvidia had 82% of the GPU market share. Intel has an 80% market share in CPUs. So it's pretty clear that half of PC gamers aren't suffering.

Stop buying inferior products from an inferior company if you want the best PC gaming experience. And certainly don't bitch about the competition not being "fair." That's just silly.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I'm not married to either company, but for the last 3 builds I've done each time I've shopped for a video card nvidia won out on price/performance/heat/etc. I'm not convinced their driver issues are solved yet either, as reading steam forums when new games come out more often than not it's AMD folks who are complaining performance sucks and some patch/driver has to come out to resolve it for them. Maybe it's the devs or specific engines or whatever the case may be, regardless, I don't need that frustration. Anyways when it's time to do my next build I'll still do the appropriate research and maybe AMD will once again be used in my build.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I absolutely hate Nvidia.

I only use them because...well, you sort of have to. AMD needs to pick up the slack, they were kicking ass a few years back.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46648 Posts

Yes, I like AMDs open approach way more than Nvidias approach to new technologies.

However, I simply buy what card I feel has the best price/performance. As a new graphics card is always a huge investment.

Usually AMD offers great price/performance, but I found nothing beat the GTX970 at the time. So I went with that.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

AMD? oh please noobs.... it was ATI vs 3dfx vs SiS vs Matrox.

Five_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Five_6
Member since 2015 • 37 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

I'm not married to either company, but for the last 3 builds I've done each time I've shopped for a video card nvidia won out on price/performance/heat/etc. I'm not convinced their driver issues are solved yet either, as reading steam forums when new games come out more often than not it's AMD folks who are complaining performance sucks and some patch/driver has to come out to resolve it for them. Maybe it's the devs or specific engines or whatever the case may be, regardless, I don't need that frustration. Anyways when it's time to do my next build I'll still do the appropriate research and maybe AMD will once again be used in my build.

Yeah, what scared me away from AMD were the issues of drivers I kept hearing about. ANd sure enough, even with Nvidia my 970s were annoyingly complex to deal with. I had to downgrade to windows 8 because of it.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@nyadc: I disagree with that. If you wanted the best product on the market for the past 3 years or so, you had to go the NVIDIA route.

Yes, NVIDIA are greedy money grubbers but I expect nothing else from a multinational. The poster make it seem like AMD are the good guys when they simply have inferior products in general. They took like 6 months more than NVIDIA to release the R9 series only to be beaten by the 780 Ti like a week later. AMD needs to release better products faster and NVIDIA won't be able to bully them if they can catch a bigger market share.

Five_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Five_6
Member since 2015 • 37 Posts

@Juub1990: That is also true. But even if one is to forgot about AMD altogether and just focus on Nvidia, without comparisons, Nvidia are still pretty greedy

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#26 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Nvidia and AMD need a heart to heart

Chocobo_PS2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chocobo_PS2
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts

Since I used to give tips in random forum like 1000 dollar is a acceptable videocard. And that selling highest end gpu for loss and massive gain from low-end products is a always a crappy tactic. Which you guys accept.

Now, go for audio style. You know people willingly to buy 55k headphone, 2 million dollar speaker etcera. All you need to check the history.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Juub1990

@five_6 said:

@Juub1990: That is also true. But even if one is to forgot about AMD altogether and just focus on Nvidia, without comparisons, Nvidia are still pretty greedy

Of course they are but it's business. There's no such thing as ''playing'' nice in a competitive market. If NVIDIA could blow up AMD headquarters tomorrow they would.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@five_6 said:

Of course they are but it's business. There's no such thing as ''playing'' nice in a competitive market. If NVIDIA could blow up AMD headquarters tomorrow they would.

Fact is when AMD is on top they do the same thing as Intel and Nvidia jacking up prices to fit the supply and demand " ie premium

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

Nvidia plays dirty, it's no secret. But yes they just do many things better, sure. But open source is better for consumers, better for industry overall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
deactivated-5a8875b6c648f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
Member since 2015 • 954 Posts

AMD wants your money just as bad as Nvidia does, if they had more market share they'd probably do things people wont be happy with.

That being said, I'm happy with my 960 and have had no major issues. My next purchase is likely to be pascal.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Nvidia is one of the reasons why I feel 3d did not take off like it should have.. In many games it looks spectacular.. But they locked it behind a paywall.. You not only have to have a NVidia card along with a 3d ready display, but you have to pay upwards to $80 more for a cheap usb powered 3d glasses.. Or 40 dollars just to use their 3dtv technology (even though you have the glasses, the display and you OWN their card) software if you want to play it on a 3d tv..

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 653 Posts

Of course I go nvidia I am no hipster anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

If I had known this G-sync lock down s*it would happen I would of went AMD .... f*ck you Nvidia,

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

More often than not i see people having compatability issues with amd cards. I rather not deal with that. Haven't had any problems with my 760 or 970.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Meh, Nvidia has invested in their technologies and they've spent money and resources in working with developers to make better PC games and in making sure their drivers are stable and feature fixes/improvements to most current game releases.

AMD has done nothing of the sort. I certainly do wish Nvidia would embrace open source a lot more, but AMD's main interest hasn't been PC gaming or PC gamers, and THAT'S why they are where they are.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

Nvidia have been the lead market sharing douchebags for a long while now. And like any company with a near monopoly they'll use shitty, scummy tactics to stay that way, including grinding genuine innovation to a screeching halt.

Of course all that said I really don't care too much. I just buy into whoever has the best price/performance ratio at the time.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 285

User Lists: 37

#39 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts

First time I've bought a GPU, it was from Nvidia. But since the moment where I started to upgrade my PC, it was AMD because of their cheaper prices and getting good performance as well. I'm using now a 7850 2gb OC crossfire and I'm pretty happy with it, of course I was annoyed how in some games that crossfire wasn't supported, but I think we could blame the developers for that. I'm glad they started to improve their drivers as well, I like their new user interface. Hopefully AMD will get better in the future.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NyaDC

@Juub1990 said:

@nyadc: I disagree with that. If you wanted the best product on the market for the past 3 years or so, you had to go the NVIDIA route.

Yes, NVIDIA are greedy money grubbers but I expect nothing else from a multinational. The poster make it seem like AMD are the good guys when they simply have inferior products in general. They took like 6 months more than NVIDIA to release the R9 series only to be beaten by the 780 Ti like a week later. AMD needs to release better products faster and NVIDIA won't be able to bully them if they can catch a bigger market share.

I'm not saying you're new to all of this, but you kind of come off like it, graphics card releases are a ballet, AMD releases the most powerful card, then Nvidia does to best them, and vice versa, this is how it has always been. The only thing Nvidia has done better than AMD over the last three years is create more power efficient cards, that just went out the window with Polaris though which at 14nm is offering roughly double the performance per watt than what Nvidia currently has available...

The 780 Ti is just a more cost efficient GK110, in other words Titan architecture which released 9 months after the Titan. The 290X was beaten "like a week later" because GK110 already existed, they just redesigned the card to make it more general consumer friendly and affordable.. Also the margins in which the 780 Ti bested the 290X is really nothing to brag about.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

I think they are both about the same and good to have each other in the game.

SuperClocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SuperClocks
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

@heguain: Crossfire can be used in any game. In the AMD control panel, create a custom 3D settings profile for the game that you want to enable crossfire for. Then, just locate the crossfire setting and select "AFR friendly."

Also, the same can be done with nVidia cards. SLI can be used in ANY game. Simply create a custom 3d settings profile for the game in question, locate the SLI setting, and select "Alternate Frame Rendering."

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 285

User Lists: 37

#43  Edited By heguain
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts

@SuperClocks said:

@heguain: Crossfire can be used in any game. In the AMD control panel, create a custom 3D settings profile for the game that you want to enable crossfire for. Then, just locate the crossfire setting and select "AFR friendly."

Also, the same can be done with nVidia cards. SLI can be used in ANY game. Simply create a custom 3d settings profile for the game in question, locate the SLI setting, and select "Alternate Frame Rendering."

Thanks but, I don't think that worked with Watch_Dogs or AC Syndicate. Will try it again though.

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

When you make the best product you can charge more. BMW makes a better car then Toyota and charges more for it. PC gamers have a hard time with this concept

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Yes, i knew it. it's called business. It's because of this, i wish AMD would catch a break already and start getting more traction. I support both companies, which ever is more friendly to me. Right now, they both are friendly to me. I prefer AMD though

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Juub1990
@nyadc said:

I'm not saying you're new to all of this, but you kind of come off like it, graphics card releases are a ballet, AMD releases the most powerful card, then Nvidia does to best them, and vice versa, this is how it has always been. The only thing Nvidia has done better than AMD over the last three years is create more power efficient cards, that just went out the window with Polaris though which at 14nm is offering roughly double the performance per watt than what Nvidia currently has available...

The 780 Ti is just a more cost efficient GK110, in other words Titan architecture which released 9 months after the Titan. The 290X was beaten "like a week later" because GK110 already existed, they just redesigned the card to make it more general consumer friendly and affordable.. Also the margins in which the 780 Ti bested the 290X is really nothing to brag about.

I've been playing on PC since the late 90's so no I'm not new to any of this. AMD used to be much more competitive back then. The 680 was faster than the 7970 for a while and the 670 was also faster than the 7950. Only with the release of the so-called ''wonder drivers'' did AMD managed to best NVIDIA's GK 104. There was also the whole issue of Crossfire being much worse than SLI due to the horrible micro stuttering issues. The frame times were terrible for Crossfire as tested and proven by multiple independent sources. SLI was a lot more smooth and stable. AMD somewhat fixed that in what August 2013? With the frame-pacing drivers I believe.

In February 2013 NVIDIA came out with the GTX Titan, the infamous 1,000$ GPU. Yes it was crazy expensive but was around 25-30% faster than any single GPU at the time and was despite the price the best card on the market. Then NVIDIA released the GTX 780 which was a cut down version of the Titan if memory serves right. It was the second best card on the market after the Titan. For a time the list went like this:

1. GTX Titan

2. GTX 780

3. GTX 680/HD 7970

The GTX 780 was released in March 2013. AMD didn't have an answer for that until the release of the R9 290 in November 2013. For over 6 months NVIDIA dominated the high-end market completely with no response from AMD. What was a gamer seeking the ultimate gaming GPU to do? Purchase a 7990 with its terribad micro stuttering, high power draw and heat output? Not only that but initially when the Hawaii came out there were just reference models available and these cards were notorious for being loud(even had youtube videos spoofing them as jet engines), power hungry and got extremely hot. Worst of it? They were only marginally faster than the 780 and overclocked significantly worse. Just when you thought NVIDIA had finally met their match what happened? They released the 780 Ti which was rumored to have been ready for a while but NVIDIA were simply waiting for AMD to release Hawaii. Titan was still sitting at the top. 780 Ti claimed second place and could at times rival or even surpass a Titan with proper overclocking. R9 290X was third with horrible cooling, horrible noise, horrible power draw and horrible overclocking.

In between we had an unremarkable card like Tonga(R9 285) which was worse than the R9 280X in pretty much all aspects. The R9 280X was merely a rebranded 7970Ghz edition too. Fast forward a bit later. NVIDIA released the Titan Black. Landscape looked like this:

1. Titan Black

2. GTX Titan

3. GTX 780 Ti

4. R9 290X

NVIDIA got greedy and released the infamous Titan Z at 3000$. AMD responded with the R9 295X2 at 1500$. Both were multi-gpu's at ridiculous prices but at least the R9 295X2 could beat the Titan in many scenarios and was half of the price. September 2014, NVIDIA released the 970 at 349$ MSRP. It absolutely demolished the mid-range market as it was by far the most affordable, powerful and efficient card at that price point. Its overclocking was decent and it drew half the power of the Hawaii cards. 980 came out at the same time.

Again, AMD laid dormant for months and NVIDIA had captured the high-end and mid-range segments of the market. AMD's response was merely to drop the prices of Hawaii which while cheaper were still inferior products. The market looked like this:

1. GTX Titan Z

2. GTX 980

3. GTX Titan

4. GTX 780 Ti

5. GTX 970/R9 290X

As a preemptive measure, NVIDIA released the 980 Ti to solidify its position and the Titan X came out too.

1. GTX Titan X

2. GTX 980 Ti

3. GTX 980

4. GTX Titan

5. GTX 780 Ti

6. GTX 970/R9 290X

Once again AMD had no answer for several months. We had to wait 10 months for AMD to release the Fury which was comparable to a 980. For almost a year NVIDIA dominated the market top to bottom. It showed as AMD was constantly loosing market share quarter over quarter. Even still, the overclocking capabilities of the Fury/X are reportedly non-existent and the 980 Ti still kills them and is widely regarded as the best consumer grade GPU on the market today. Factor things like more frequent releases, faster and better driver support, better power efficiency, better overclocking and better cooling, you can't seriously tell me AMD have been competing with NVIDIA.

I'm currently playing with a pair of 7850 after having sold my 970. If AMD releases better products then I'll gladly buy them. You suggesting NVIDIA consumers are a detriment to the market is hilarious and ignorant. For the past three years if you wanted the best card on the market, you had to go the NVIDIA route. I'm not gonna support AMD merely because they need it. They want my money then they release better cards. Couldn't care less about their situation nor that of NVIDIA.

I honestly believe that MOST people who purchase Nvidia GPU's are idiots, complete and utter idiots who get sucked into all of this with viral marketing and equally as idiotic word of mouth from other ignorant people... Not to mention I don't consider most of them real PC gamers because what kind of PC gamer would support a company who is destroying it...

I mean seriously? You're smarter than that man.

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

@Juub1990: Why did you sell your 970 just wondering

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Juub1990

@Addict187 said:

@Juub1990: Why did you sell your 970 just wondering

Canadian dollar crashing down. I had bought it at 350$ CAD which at the time was around 300$ USD. Sold it back at 280 USD which came up to around 400$ CAD. I wasn't gaming much any more. My brother had an old 7850 lying around and some dude gave me the other on for free. So I made a profit on my card despite it being a year old lol.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NyaDC
@Juub1990 said:
@nyadc said:

I've been playing on PC since the late 90's so no I'm not new to any of this. AMD used to be much more competitive back then. The 680 was faster than the 7970 for a while and the 670 was also faster than the 7950. Only with the release of the so-called ''wonder drivers'' did AMD managed to best NVIDIA's GK 104. There was also the whole issue of Crossfire being much worse than SLI due to the horrible micro stuttering issues. The frame time were horrible for Crossfire as tested by multiple independent sources. SLI was a lot more smooth and stable. AMD somewhat fixed this in what August 2013 I believe.

In February 2013 NVIDIA came out with the GTX Titan, the infamous 1,000$ GPU. Yes it was crazy expensive but was around 25% faster than anything else at the time and was despite the price the best card on the market. Then NVIDIA released the GTX 780 which was a cut down version of the Titan if memory serves right. It was the second best card on the market after the Titan. For a time the list went like this:

1. GTX Titan

2. GTX 780

3. GTX 680

4. HD 7970

The GTX 780 was released in March 2013. AMD didn't have an answer for that until the release of the R9 290 in November 2013. For over 6 months NVIDIA dominated the high-end market completely with no answer from AMD. What was a gamer seeking the ultimate gaming GPU to do? Purchase a 7990 with its terribad micro stuttering, high power draw and heat output? Not only that but initially when the Hawaii came out there were just reference models available and these cards were notorious for being loud(even had youtube videos spoofing them as jet engines), power hungry and got extremely hot. Worst of it? They were only marginally faster than the 780 and overclocked significantly worse. Just when you thought NVIDIA had finally met their match what happened? They release the 780 Ti which was rumored to have been ready for a while but NVIDIA were simply waiting for AMD to release Hawaii. Titan was still sitting at the top. 780 Ti claimed second place and could at times rival or even surpass a Titan with proper overclocking. R9 290X was third with horrible cooling, horrible noise, horrible power draw and horrible overclocking.

In between we had an unremarkable card like Tonga(R9 285) which was worse than the R9 280X in pretty much all aspects. The R9 280X was merely a rebranded 7970Ghz edition too. Fast forward a bit later. NVIDIA released the Titan Black. Landscape looked like this:

1. Titan Black

2. GTX Titan

3. GTX 780 Ti

4. R9 290X

NVIDIA got greedy and released the infamous Titan Z at 3000$. AMD responded with the R9 295X2 at 1500$. Both were multi-gpu's at ridiculous prices but at least the R9 295X2 could beat the Titan in many scenarios and was half of the price. September 2014, NVIDIA released the 970 at 349$ MSRP. It absolutely demolished the mid-range market as it was by far the most affordable, powerful and efficient card at that price point. Its overclocking was decent and it drew half the power of the Hawaii cards. 980 came out at the same time.

Again, AMD laid dormant for months and NVIDIA had captured the high-end and mid-range segments of the market. AMD's response was merely to drop the prices of Hawaii which while cheaper were still inferior products. The market looked like this:

1. GTX Titan Z

2. GTX 980

3. GTX Titan

4. GTX 780 Ti

5. GTX 970/R9 290X

As a preemptive measure, NVIDIA released the 980 Ti to solidify its position and the Titan X came out too.

1. GTX Titan X

2. GTX 980 Ti

3. GTX 980

4. GTX Titan

5. GTX 780 Ti

6. GTX 970/R9 290X

Once again AMD had no answer for several months. We had to wait 10 months for NVIDIA to release the Fury which was comparable to a 980. For almost a year NVIDIA dominated the market top to bottom. It showed as AMD was constantly loosing market share quarter over quarter. Even still, the overclocking capabilities of the Fury/X are reportedly non-existent and the 980 Ti still kills them and is widely regarded as the best consumer grade GPU on the market today. Factor things like more frequent releases, faster and better driver support, better power efficiency, better overclocking and better cooling, you can't seriously tell me AMD have been competing with NVIDIA. I'm currently playing with a pair of 7850 after having sold my 970. If AMD releases better products then I'll gladly buy them. You suggesting NVIDIA consumers are a detriment to the market is hilarious and ignorant. For the past three years if you wanted the best card on the market, you had to go the NVIDIA route. I'm not gonna support AMD merely because they need it. They want my money then they release better cards. Couldn't care less about their situation nor that of NVIDIA.

Frame pacing has been fixed on AMD Crossfire solutions for over two years now, not that it was a huge problem to begin with, but it's been rectified, not only that, they have achieved considerably lower frame times than Nvidia SLI configurations, they have surpassed Nvidia in this regard.

The 290X released 4 months after the 780 and demolished it, 4 months is hardly a long time for a competitor answer to a more powerful product, two weeks after this Nvidia released the 780 Ti based on GK110. A minor overclock to the 290X or factory OC'd models matched the 780 Ti in performance, it wasn't something substantial, it was to counter the 290X. From this point it was 10 months until the GTX 980 was released and it was only about a 12-15% increase in performance over the 780 Ti, then 8 months later the 980 Ti was released followed directly after by the Fury X a few weeks later.

All Nvidia did was released a redundancy for the 780 Ti when they released the 980, AMD skipped that and instead just rolled with the 290X all the way up until the Fury X, which for all intents and purposes makes more sense, they didn't release a redundant flagship card.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Juub1990
@nyadc said:

Frame pacing has been fixed on AMD Crossfire solutions for over two years now, not that it was a huge problem to begin with, but it's been rectified, not only that, they have achieved considerably lower frame times than Nvidia SLI configurations, they have surpassed Nvidia in this regard.

The 290X released 4 months after the 780 and demolished it, 4 months is hardly a long time for a competitor answer to a more powerful product, two weeks after this Nvidia released the 780 Ti based on GK110. A minor overclock to the 290X or factory OC'd models matched the 780 Ti in performance, it wasn't something substantial, it was to counter the 290X. From this point it was 10 months until the GTX 980 was released and it was only about a 12-15% increase in performance over the 780 Ti, then 8 months later the 980 Ti was released followed directly after by the Fury X a few weeks later.

All Nvidia did was released a redundancy for the 780 Ti when they released the 980, AMD skipped that and instead just rolled with the 290X all the way up until the Fury X, which for all intents and purposes makes more sense, they didn't release a redundant flagship card.

Have you read about the micro stuttering in Crossfire? It was a pretty huge problem. The frame time variance before the drivers were bad. Like really bad. I know, I actually had a pair of 7950's and ended up returning one because it was horrible. Yes it has been rectified but it took ages. AMD wasn't even acknowledging the issue before the tests came out on major tech sites.

R9 290x came out 5 months after the 780 and hardly demolished it. How can you claim the R9 290X demolished the 780 but cannot claim the 780 Ti demolishes the R9 290X? That's bias to the finest. Also why are you ignoring the fact non-reference R9 290X weren't available until way after launch? The stock models were bad. Loud as hell and had that so-called ''uber mode'' that made them sound like a plane was about to take off. I know, I assisted a private AMD showing in Montreal before the public release.

http://www.alphr.com/graphics-cards/32438/amd-radeon-r9-290x-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review

It's an incredibly close-fought battle. Performance and pricing is neck and neck, and it would only take the slightest price cut for either card to take the upper hand.

At the time of writing, Nvidia's GeForce GTX 780 is a little cheaper than its AMD-branded rival, and it also runs cooler and is more power-efficient. If all-out performance is the primary concern, however, there can only be one winner: AMD's Radeon R9 290X edges ahead where it matters, delivering smoother frame rates at higher resolutions – right now, that's the one we'd buy.

The R9 290X gained the upper hand when NVIDIA pretty much left its GK110 and prior GPU's in the dust. That is one of the many anti-consumer acts they've committed but it took over a year for that to happen. The 780 was closer to the R9 290X than the R9 290X was to the 780 Ti. Factor in overclocking it got even worse. GK 110 overclocked like a dream whereas Hawaii was a step down from Tahiti in the OC department. R9 290X is closer to the 780 Ti at higher res supposedly because of its 512-bit bus but at anything below 4K, the 780 Ti pulls ahead. Not by a huge margin mind you(like 5%) but still ahead. Overclock and that goes to 10%.

Anyway, my point is simply that most of the time in the past 3 years, NIVIDIA dominated the market with AMD playing catch up. You can't seriously call people who buy NVIDIA cards idiots when it is a fact they had superior products over the past 3 years. From the release of the original Titan all the way to the release of Fury X, NVIDIA always had the best GPU(s) with only late answers from AMD that were quickly sent back to second place with prompt showings from NVIDIA. From Feb 2013 to Nov 2013 it was Titan/GTX 780. From Nov 2013 to Sep 2014 it was Titan/Black/780 Ti. From Sep 2014 to today it was 980/Ti/Titan X. When did AMD have the most powerful GPU on the market for the last time? It's even worse when you consider the fact NVIDIA also had 1st, 2nd, 3rd and at times even 4th place on lock. AMD's responses are too scarce and not overwhelming enough. They need to step the hell up.

Even now, look at how the 980Ti trounces the Fury X when you factor overclocking.

http://www.maximumpc.com/gtx-980-ti-vs-fury-x-overclocking-showdown/#page-2

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/the-xfx-fury-x-vs-the-gtx-980-ti-showdown-redux-no-3/